Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,057 members, 7,838,686 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals (14979 Views)

Southeast Governors To Meet In Owerri Over Pro-Biafra Protests - Vanguard / It Was Sacrilegious For APC Governors To Boycott Ooni’s Burial – Afenifere / I Will Sign More Death Warrants — Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 17, 2013
Jonathan doesn't need to remind state Governors of their constitutional duties.The state house of Assemblies should take decisions on erring Governors and as such will sit tight.Some of them are protecting their political career by bringing up spurious claims about the illegality of maximum sentence;forgetting that it's not about them but the office they occupy.

It's just sad that everything in Nigeria is either tribalized or politicized !
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by justsayemma(m): 9:43am On Jun 17, 2013
I think dats not d best message 2 deliver on such occasion. Nigerians know dat,its an empty message.most time I listen 2 dis man n his wife talk,without reading from a script,I see no inteligence in wat they say.dsame man dat harbors criminals in his cabinet,that granted pardon to an internationally known criminal,is saying all dis.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by wirinet(m): 9:48am On Jun 17, 2013
Nigeria is a country of contradictions, a deeply religious country that condones and celebrates corruption. A deeply christian society that preaches christ's message of unconditional forgiveness have their hearts on moses's law of "an eye for an eye"
Meanwhile they abhor abortion, saying nobody has the right to take life but sumersault in the case of a condemned criminal by handing the power of life to a governor.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by BCELLS(m): 9:56am On Jun 17, 2013
mu2sa2: This death sentence thing is a bit complicated in nigeria.
When a court sentences a person to death under state law, the convict can only be executed if the state gov signs his death warrant. Many state governors, even during military regime, dont sign the death warrant for whatever reason. This explains why the prisons hav a huge population of these convicts. There is also a dearth of executioners, so even the convicts whose death warrants hav been signed are still there because there's no hangman. Sometime ago someone siad there's only one hangman in nigeria.
Only one hangman in Nigeria?who else will advice his family member to take up such job,killing fellow human being,justified or unjustified?
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by blaise26abj(m): 10:02am On Jun 17, 2013
Godman_n: If I become a governor tomorrow, I will never sign a death warrant for anything. Once I have you in prison, that is enough. I can kill in self defence if confronted in a war or in pursuit of a dangerous criminal; but it is totally wrong to take life that we cannot create.

Having arrested someone into custody, the state should focus every energy on reformation and on worst case scenario; take the worst criminals into life-imprisonment.

It is very wrong to pass judgement over a anythings life.

Mr Godman, you should be ready to die without defending yourself when attacked; in war or in pursuit of dangerous criminals because like you said it is totally wrong to take a life that cannot be created.

Some people deserve death for their crimes. Even the bible says the wages of sin is death.If a man knows the penalty of a crime is death and he chooses to carry out the crime, then there should be no leniency once it can be proven without reasonable doubt.

The bolded is the probable reason the governors hesitate signing death warrants because our police are not equipped to prove anything.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by greatestman(m): 10:04am On Jun 17, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan on
Sunday asked state governors to
stop abdicating their constitutional
responsibility of signing death
warrant of criminals condemned to
death by courts of competent
jurisdiction.
The president made the call in a
remark at the Fathers’ Day Sunday
service organised by the Aso Villa
Chapel.
The president said that the
governors should realise that the
job they were elected to do had
both sweet and ugly parts.
He urged them to carry out all their
responsibilities according to the
dictates of the law.
“Discipline can be in various forms;
in the states, it could be
admonition. Magistrate can just
admonish and allow an offender to
go.
“From admonition to various forms
of punishment, it could be
imprisonment and the extreme is
capital punishment.
“In the case of capital punishment,
the state governors will sign.
“Even governors sometimes find it
difficult to sign and I have been
telling the governors that they
must sign because that is the law.
“The work we are doing has very
sweet part and very ugly part and
we must perform both. No matter
how painful it is, it is part of their
responsibilities,” he said.
The president reminded fathers of
the importance of instilling
discipline in their children, adding
that the love showered on the
children must have limits so that it
would not ruin their lives.
He encouraged parents to bring
their children up properly, saying
that fathers, in particular, must
continually impress on their
children the need to be upright in
all they do. Jonathan recalled the
high level of discipline in the
society while he was growing up
and lamented that the virtue was
waning with modernity.
“If we look through all the
references that have to do with the
father in the Bible, you will see that
we expect a father to show love.
“The father is the breadwinner of
the family, to take care of the
mother and the children, to provide
food for them and take care of
their education.
“We expect fathers to be role
models, while children will want to
be like their fathers.
“I want to urge all of us who are
fathers to discipline our children.
“No matter what you do, even if
you show love and provide the
need of the family, if you don’t
discipline your children, it is not
good,” he said.
The President of the Church of
Christ in Nigeria, Rev. Soja
Bewarang, delivered the sermon
entitled “Fathers’ Responsibility”.
Mr. Bewarang said if Nigeria must
move forward, those working with
the president must refrain from
stealing public funds and be honest.
“If this country must survive, all
men working under the president
must practise honesty and they
must not steal.
“The president cannot fight
corruption when you are not
supporting him.
“He may try, but he cannot be
everywhere.
“You are his representatives, so you
must practise honesty and you
must not steal,” he said.
Mr. Bewarang asked Nigerians to
pray for good fathers who would
fear and trust God.
Present at the service were Delta
Gov. Emmanuel Uduaghan, and
Akwa Ibom’s Gov. Godswill Akpabio
and the president’s mother, Eunice
Jonathan.
The Deputy Senate President, Ike
Ekweremadu, and his wife;
Chairman PDP Board of Trustees,
Tony Anenih and members of the
Federal Executive Council were also
in attendance.
The Ambassador of Ireland in
Nigeria, Patrick Fhearghail, the
Israeli Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr
Uriel Palti, were also in attendance.
http://premiumtimesng.com/
news/138896-jonathan-asks-
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by missojugo(f): 10:11am On Jun 17, 2013
His own is to sign Pardon for more important criminals abi.."Sweet part" indeed angry

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by splashbaby(m): 10:11am On Jun 17, 2013
More bood needed for 2015
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by tutaboi(m): 10:15am On Jun 17, 2013
Jonathan shoould know that some innocent souls were been convicted and condemned for criminal charges due to no body can stand for them.........but those top government officials will squander our money no body will take them to court talk more of condeming them for criminal activity

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by kreamidiva(f): 10:22am On Jun 17, 2013
Alams,Niger delta militants.obj,etc nko?
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by ewet: 10:23am On Jun 17, 2013
We will compel them to start signing the very day they make corruption punishable by death. I bet you we will not only compel them we shall even assist them in enforcement.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Afritop(m): 10:27am On Jun 17, 2013
AFTER REFUSING TO SIGN THE DEATH WARRANT THEY, THE GOVERNORS WILL BE CRYING OVERCROWDING IN THE PRISON CELLS
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Afroconnect: 10:30am On Jun 17, 2013
Useless governors,just to eat money and mess and f_ck is all they know.
a condemned prison that has been convicted should die...sign the bloody warrants lets decongest our prisons...these killers and Armed robbers have killed tens and hundreds of innocent Nigerians,if they release them-they will kill more.
sign the warrants,let them die the way the choose.
this will also serve as deterrent to other dumb killers.
kill them all.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Afroconnect: 10:30am On Jun 17, 2013
tuta boi: Jonathan shoould know that some innocent souls were been convicted and condemned for criminal charges due to no body can stand for them.........but those top government officials will squander our money no body will take them to court talk more of condeming them for criminal activity
shut up fool.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Afroconnect: 10:32am On Jun 17, 2013
wirinet: Nigeria is a country of contradictions, a deeply religious country that condones and celebrates corruption. A deeply christian society that preaches christ's message of unconditional forgiveness have their hearts on moses's law of "an eye for an eye"
Meanwhile they abhor abortion, saying nobody has the right to take life but sumersault in the case of a condemned criminal by handing the power of life to a governor.

these are killers,pray an armed robber or killer dont kill a member of your family,then you will know how it feels.
they should be shot to death,if the hangmen are scarce.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Pretyangel25(f): 10:33am On Jun 17, 2013
Gbam
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by IGBOSON1: 10:35am On Jun 17, 2013
That's easy for him to say! smiley As one Governor pointed out once, who doesn't want to sleep well at night without the spirit of the executed criminal chasing them in their dreams ?

As far as i'm concerned, if Jonathan is looking to see condemned criminals executed, he should look towards Aluu in Rivers state for help; the bloodthirsty scamps over there would gladly oblige him!
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Afroconnect: 10:36am On Jun 17, 2013
Godman_n: If I become a governor tomorrow, I will never sign a death warrant for anything. Once I have you in prison, that is enough. I can kill in self defence if confronted in a war or in pursuit of a dangerous criminal; but it is totally wrong to take life that we cannot create.

Having arrested someone into custody, the state should focus every energy on reformation and on worst case scenario; take the worst criminals into life-imprisonment.

you are an ignorant fool,some criminals have choose to be killers,maybe when they kill your father,mother or loved one-you will think differently.
they should be killed,only in Nigeria we see this type of hypocrisy...in China,Malaysia,Indonesia,even America-condemned people are killed every week.
Nigerians-bloody hypocrites.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by carmenblandish: 10:38am On Jun 17, 2013
draogtech:

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/138896-jonathan-asks-governors-to-sign-death-warrants-of-condemned-criminals.html

IT IS EVIDENT THAT OUR LEADERS CONTINUE TO HAVE MISPLACE PRIORITIES....HOW ABOUT GIVING THE GOVERNORS A MANDATE TO REIGNITE THE MANUFACTORING INDUSTRY IN EACH STATE SO THAT YOUTHS CAN GET A JOB....EVERYDAY WE KEEP HEARING NONSENSE FROM THESE LEADERS.

Foreign government are constantly on the lookout on how to bring mor businesses into their economy....Nigeria its either to Pardon highlevel embezzlers and hang poor criminals...or TAX market women.

Country never do well comes to mind!!!
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 17, 2013
longjon: Lots of ignorant responses here .
I think so too.
gbanikiti: Foolish talk from a clueless president! His own death warrant awaits him soonest! angry
disappointed you said this.have you no idea of the law?not everything warrants an insult sister.espacially not when he's saying the truth.
Afro connect:
these are killers,pray an armed robber or killer dont kill a member of your family,then you will know how it feels.
they should be shot to death,if the hangmen are scarce.
true.
tuta boi: Jonathan shoould know that some innocent souls were been convicted and condemned for criminal charges due to no body can stand for them.........but those top government officials will squander our money no body will take them to court talk more of condeming them for criminal activity
true also.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by splashbaby(m): 10:47am On Jun 17, 2013
Afro connect:
shut up fool.
He made more sense than this your baseless "shut up"..You brought nothing sensible to this discussion...Has the cluelessness now taken over your soul?
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by wirinet(m): 10:50am On Jun 17, 2013
Afritop: AFTER REFUSING TO SIGN THE DEATH WARRANT THEY, THE GOVERNORS WILL BE CRYING OVERCROWDING IN THE PRISON CELLS

And where did you get the statistics that it is condemned prisoners that is causing overcrowding in our prisons? How many condemned prisoners who had gone through the legal process up to the supreme court do we have in Nigeria?

Some of you people are just bloodthirsty, you rejoice at the spilling of blood.

Now what should constitute a capital offense? A man that kills one person while robbing a car worth N3 million, or a man that cause the death of thousands through stealing of public money ( and pension money)?

In Nigeria our perception of what is wrong or right is truly screwed.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Tonbrazeal(m): 10:52am On Jun 17, 2013
hmm.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by bknight: 10:55am On Jun 17, 2013
Dr. Goodluck, there is no need bringing such unsolicited issue up for we still have fresh in memory your own recent take on the law.

You pardoned a condemned criminal whose criminal actions affected all nigerians (directly or indirectly) but turn around to harass governors to kill criminals. The best you could have done was keep quiet.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Phoenix6278(m): 10:57am On Jun 17, 2013
...And how many Nigerians do they think die from their mismanagement? To be honest, these governors indirectly sign death warrants daily so they shouldn't shy away from what they are pretty good at.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Decryptor(m): 10:59am On Jun 17, 2013
Pls i have been asking this question on NL and i am still asking it! How will i be able to capture Shekarau the leader of Boko Haram that the US govt has placed a $7m bounty on his head?! angry Does anyone have a slightest idea of where he could be found?
I need that money seriously.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by splashbaby(m): 11:01am On Jun 17, 2013
lorretta u: I think so too. disappointed you said this.have you no idea of the law?not everything warrants an insult sister.espacially not when he's saying the truth.true.true also.
Too gbaski! Sensible thought!
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Godmann(m): 11:07am On Jun 17, 2013
Afro connect:
you are an ignorant fool,some criminals have choose to be killers,maybe when they kill your father,mother or loved one-you will think differently.
they should be killed,only in Nigeria we see this type of hypocrisy...in China,Malaysia,Indonesia,even America-condemned people are killed every week.
Nigerians-bloody hypocrites.

I am an ignorant fool? So, what have i done to deserve this abuse from you? Or is it your internal state of mind that is turning your mind upside down?

Guess you know not the meaning of ignorant, because if you do, you should have given a thought to many of the numerous moral/religious/ethics argument against corporal punishment as it is called.

Please try educate yourself because one uneducated mind can ruin a nation. We need less of your kind to move this country forward.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by splashbaby(m): 11:10am On Jun 17, 2013
Decryptor: Pls i have been asking this question on NL and i am still asking it! How will i be able to capture Shekarau the leader of Boko Haram that the US govt has placed a $7m bounty on his head?! angry Does anyone have a slightest idea of where he could be found?
I need that money seriously.
You are asking the wrong people..The folks here are lazy people behind a latop/phone spewing trash..by the way are you on a death warrant?
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by doingreat(m): 11:10am On Jun 17, 2013
martinseme: signing of a death warrant should start from top to the bottom, jonathan deserves it for all the lies he has ever told without shame to a whole nation namely ; no zoning in pdp arrangement when in reality his signature is well documented in support of zoning; seeking for the presidency when he swore to not seek for it but to conduct an election and handover;granting of state pardon to Alamesia his boss and mentor in crime. am sure by now he has stolen from the national treasury by far more than the whole armed robbers put together had ever stolen in all operations since history of nigeria.
some people are just stupid
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by Policewoman(f): 11:14am On Jun 17, 2013
Some illiterates here don't even know what a death warrant means. Smh.
Re: Jonathan Asks Governors To Sign Death Warrants Of Condemned Criminals by tiwasiaife(m): 11:15am On Jun 17, 2013

nt wen ur entire family is wiped out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria, Poorly Managed For Eight Years – Obasanjo / "Woman & Her Child In Detention For Protesting In Support Of Nnamdi Kanu". PICS / Kogi To Take Dangote To Court Over Obajana Cement Ownership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.