Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation (10352 Views)

More Photos 4rm Boko Haram Camp In Burra Forest,Bauchi Captured By Soldiers 2day / The Igbos: Are We Guided By Memory, Or Blinded By Bitterness? / 2015: APC Is Blinded By Desperation For Power – PDP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by free2ryhme: 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2013

The Federal High Court, Enugu Judicial Division on Tuesday awarded N15 million damages to Joseph Agu against the Nigerian Army for the torture, inhuman and cruel treatment by a soldier, which led to his permanent loss of sight.
Mr. Agu had sued the Nigerian Army in December 2010 for the enforcement of his fundamental human right over the incident that occurred on 15 January, 2009.

On the fateful day, Mr Agu, who was driving a truck, was suddenly overtaken by Sgt Ogah who was driving a Mitsubishi bus.

The soldier blocked and pulled Mr. Agu out of his truck and started beating him, while other soldiers joined him. In the process, Sgt Oga hit Joseph several times on his face with the iron buckle of his army belt, and blood started gushing out of his eyes and nose, while the soldiers fled and left him in pool of his blood. Mr. Agu was later taken to hospital by passers-by for treatment.

Mr. Agu’s complaint to army authorities was ignored, and after several medical treatments spanning more than one year, the truck driver became totally blind. He reportedly sold all his family and personal belonging to meet his medical expenses during the treatment. Though they eventually acknowledged the incident and promised to punish Sgt Ogu, the army authorities gave no assistance to Mr. Agu.

In his judgment, Justice N. Agishi of the Federal High Court, Enugu Division, after hearing the submissions of the applicant’s counsel, Ike Ugwuoke from the Legal Defence and Assistance Project (LEDAP) in Enugu, who handled the case, ruled among others that the respondents pay to Mr. Agu the sum of N15,000,000 “being compensation for the aforesaid unlawful, illegal and unconstitutional violations of his fundamental rights.”

Reacting to the ruling, Mr. Ugwuoke said: “By this judgment, the courts have again shown that there is hope for the poor and vulnerable. This is a very pitiable case. This man’s life was ruined by the solders of 82 Division for no just cause. We call on the Nigerian Army to immediately comply with the order of this judgment.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/18/court-awards-n15m-to-man-rendered-blind-by-soldiers/
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by braine(m): 12:20am On Jun 19, 2013
And it took them about 4 years to do justice? This is unfair. angry

6 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by supreme104: 12:46am On Jun 19, 2013
SO SAD. THIS IS 9JA FOR YOU
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by 190: 12:46am On Jun 19, 2013
2nd 2nd 2nd to respond

This is a totally new FEAT ive achieved this year

make una come drink coke for my head

I go pay

i made 2nd 2 comment
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by 190: 12:47am On Jun 19, 2013
Noooooooo am now 3rd angry angry angry
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by buoye1(m): 12:48am On Jun 19, 2013
Eayah
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by buoye1(m): 12:51am On Jun 19, 2013
190: 2nd 2nd 2nd to respond

I go pay

i made 2nd 2 comment
grin

I go pay

i made 2nd 2 comment
u r a learner guy.....am sure u r on Nokia 3110C....Like this comment if he's a learner

15 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Freewilly(f): 12:54am On Jun 19, 2013
What is N15M compared to his sight. RUBBISH!!!

7 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Lilprincey(m): 12:58am On Jun 19, 2013
such a pity, dis days nigerian forces harass pple anyhow dat shld be minimize. Teamcivilian even if lil wayne raps wit yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by colombiana: 12:58am On Jun 19, 2013
So how wud he see wat to spend the 15m on. After 4yrs mtchew hope for the poor indeed. Well nor be today we knw say if u gv black man uniform u don turn am to devil

1 Like

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Lordave: 1:01am On Jun 19, 2013
that's why oyibo thinks dat we are still uncivilized.

2 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Ariyke: 1:12am On Jun 19, 2013
Hope they pay him the money cus in the end they might turn the judgement upside down like Baba Suwe's own

1 Like

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by 76Naira(m): 1:32am On Jun 19, 2013
In other news, our leaders are in Dubai on first class and private jet flights fooling themselves!
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Nobody: 2:10am On Jun 19, 2013

I go pay

i made 2nd 2 comment

Yor fada tongue
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by tellwisdom: 3:37am On Jun 19, 2013
15million?? angry ...peanut undecided
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by valicious1(m): 4:00am On Jun 19, 2013
Dats why BH boys keep dealing with dem.

1 Like

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Twista0(m): 6:11am On Jun 19, 2013
God have mercy
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by johnstar(m): 6:13am On Jun 19, 2013
which hope 4 d poor , meaning dey must blind d poor ppl b4 una go help dm , tel me ow d hope blind man wn take njoy money
free2ryhme:

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/18/court-awards-n15m-to-man-rendered-blind-by-soldiers/
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by charlsecy4(m): 6:36am On Jun 19, 2013
Implentation of the verdict may be another story......

By the way, did I say the amount of money awarded was too small? Just N15,000,000 for the priceless gift of the sight and other inestimable inconveniences!

1 Like

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by free2ryhme: 6:40am On Jun 19, 2013
johnstar: which hope 4 d poor , meaning dey must blind d poor ppl b4 una go help dm , tel me ow d hope blind man wn take njoy money

ask the judge wey hand dopwn the sentence
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by ninja4life(m): 7:04am On Jun 19, 2013
To those saying #15million is too small,in d current situation in nigeria being awarded dat is wat to be thankful of imagine awarding d money after 3years.lets hope d nigerian army complies with court order and pay d man d money.
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by sayso: 7:09am On Jun 19, 2013
ninja4life: To those saying #15million is too small,in d current situation in nigeria being awarded dat is wat to be thankful of imagine awarding d money after 3years.lets hope d nigerian army complies with court order and pay d man d money.
hope the money will be paid immediately.
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by kalunomics(m): 7:19am On Jun 19, 2013
And what punishment for the Sergent? I believe no amount of money will commensurate the irreplaceable permanent lost of sight.
Anyways, karma is inevitable.

Ordinary rank and filebes' primitive men

2 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by AbuMikey(m): 7:24am On Jun 19, 2013
Make I hear word jor!! Na 15million wan restore he eyesight??
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by IFY124(f): 7:29am On Jun 19, 2013
What a pity! I hope the will pay the money ASAP. No amount of money is equivalent to his sight. May God's grace be with him
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by alexy147(m): 7:33am On Jun 19, 2013
The 15mills will only be useful if it will restore his sight but outside that.,Mehn!! That's crazy..Maddness and blindness are two crazy illness..
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by pekelepekele(m): 7:35am On Jun 19, 2013
It won't be well with those soldiers that did that to a civilian that his tax is among what is putting food into their stomach . Loss of sight is really a bad thing to happen to any human being cry

What am afraid of is that the N15M might not be paid to him in 5years time or never that is Nigeria Government for you cry

2 Likes

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by elampiro(m): 7:44am On Jun 19, 2013
N15m is even too small.

And hope we won't hear that court of appeal has upturn this ruling?
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 19, 2013
But that blind man don hammer o. How many blind ppl fit boast of 1m sef?
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 19, 2013
Sight is a gift from God which money can't buy.
but 15m
Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by ShirelleBaby: 8:10am On Jun 19, 2013
with the help of guru maraji,t.b,. joshua,master peter,lord seja.(saying in dai voice)...just a little offering and God wil do d wonders....least i forget swordman adeboye
Abu Mikey: Make I hear word jor!! Na 15million wan restore he eyesight??

1 Like

Re: Man Blinded By Soldiers Awarded N15M Compensation by verbes123: 8:10am On Jun 19, 2013
Good. Hope they'll pay on time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Loses $966m To Crude Oil Swap Deal – NEITI / Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW / Lagos: What I’ll do in first 100 days if voted governor – Sanwo-Olu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.