Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW (10352 Views)

FG Says Power Generation Is Up To 7000MW, Nigerians Reacts / Total Blackout As Power Generation Falls To 0 MW / Recession Worsens On Niger Delta Crisis, Despite Agric Rebounds - Thisdaylive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by maupe: 2:30am On Jun 02, 2016
Nigeria’s electricity generation has inched up to 2,820 megawatts (mw) from the 1,400mw recorded last week.

The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), which made this disclosure in its daily operation report released on Tuesday, put the country’s peak demand forecast at 17,720mw.

TCN, while also putting installed electricity generation capacity at 11,165mw, noted that the country has only been able to generate 5,500mw of power in February, which remained the highest since 2014.

According to the statement released TCN and signed by the Asst. General Manager (Public Affairs), Clement Ezeolisah, the downward trend of electricity generation was due to constraints in the thermal power stations, which have prevented the generators from producing at optimal levels.

Corroborating TCN, the Federal Ministry of Power stated in its energy generation report released on Monday that out of the total energy generated, the country was only able to send out 2,529.88mw.

The country’s electricity generation has failed to peak since privatisation, leading to over reliance on generators.

The nation generates most of its electricity from gas-fired power plants, while output from hydro-power plants make up about 30 per cent of total generation.

Electricity supply to households and businesses across the country has worsened in recent weeks on the back of renewed attacks on oil and gas installations in the Niger Delta by militants.

Nigeria attained a new record peak generation of 5,074.7MW and highest maximum daily energy wheeled nationwide of 109,372MWH in February, 2016.

Throwing more light on the country’s electricity generation profile, Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), in its latest energy watch listed the constraints to regular power output to include gas, line limitation and water management.

The gas constraint remained the highest power generation challenge in the country, leading to a shortfall of 3,568mw of electricity as at May 22.

NERC put the total energy constrained on May 16 at 4,904mw; May 17, 5,666mw; May 18, 4,265mw and May 22, 4,497mw.

Thirteen power plants have been struggling with gas constraints, including five that were built under the National Integrated Power Project, which was conceived in 2005. Olorunsogo’s unutilised generation capacity was put at about 480MW; 355MW of Geregu’s capacity has also been idle; Omotosho is struggling to generate any megawatts from its 360MW actual capacity; Sapele’s unutilised capacity was about 337.5MW, and Ihovbor’s 277.4MW has not in use.

Others with unutilised generation capacity due to gas constraints were Omotosho I (228MW); Delta Gas (220MW); Olorunsogo I (266MW); Sapele I (110MW); Egbin (816MW); Rivers IPP (160MW); Trans-Amadi (20MW) and Geregu I (54MW). Three power plants, namely Odukpani, Trans-Amadi and Omoku in Rivers State were constrained by line problems/rejection by Discos, while Jebba and Shiroro’s 470MW capacity were unused due to water management/maintenance.

Speaking on Africa energy deficit at the African Development Bank’s yearly meeting in Lusaka, Zambia, Chair of the Africa Progress Panel, Kofi Annan, said that Africa energy sector bottlenecks and power shortages cost the region two to four per cent of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) yearly.

He said that this situation also consistently undermines efforts to promote growth and create jobs, at a time when the continent faces a huge youth bulge with millions entering the job market every year.

Annan, a former Secretary-General of the United Nations, stressed the need for African governments to create the right policies and enabling environment that would lead to regular electricity.

http://m.guardian.ng/business-services/power-generation-rebounds-to-2820mw/

3 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Samtob90(m): 2:56am On Jun 02, 2016
Think we need to find alternative source of power to avoid the problem of niger delta terrorists

15 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by MadamExcellency: 3:05am On Jun 02, 2016
I think someone is not being truthful to Nigerians

Why this discrepancy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by reverendfather: 3:20am On Jun 02, 2016
power generation in Nigeria will take decades to fix, and the people currently at the helm of affairs would have probably crossed over to the other side of the world, living the present generation hopeless.
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Jirate(m): 3:32am On Jun 02, 2016
Generate, Transmit and Distribute Electricity 24/7 Basis that is Change, why is APC now Missing In Action?. cool cool cool

18 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by tit(f): 3:36am On Jun 02, 2016
MadamExcellency:
I think someone is not being truthful to Nigerians

Why this discrepancy

The Lai Disease spread faster than Ebola!
Allah, safe us from this goverment of liars.

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Amberon11: 5:09am On Jun 02, 2016
o
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by greatgod2012(f): 5:14am On Jun 02, 2016
I pray it keeps rebounding.

Generating power is not a rocket science! Said Fashola, (SAN)
One year gone already, may God help you.

6 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by tsdarkside(m): 5:16am On Jun 02, 2016
i am tired of all this miniscule power-output,,,,we should be talking about 7000mw atleast now,even if the naija-delta-destroyers are blowing up everything........

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by tsdarkside(m): 5:18am On Jun 02, 2016
tit:

The Lai Disease spread faster than Ebola!
Allah, safe us from this goverment of liars.

lai is a sincere guy.....lai means strenght or endurance(i dont remember),,,,lai lai is not a bad word......
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by tit(f): 5:29am On Jun 02, 2016
tsdarkside:

lai is a sincere guy.....lai means strenght or endurance(i dont remember),,,,lai lai is not a bad word......

ha ha ha
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 02, 2016
We will generate & distribute Electricity on a 24/7 basis: buhari/osibanjo

Apc change = Delusion.

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by omenka(m): 5:36am On Jun 02, 2016
I don't envy Fashola's or Baba's job at all.
It is well with my country.
A country of 50years plus talking 2GW... Eyaa..

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by tsdarkside(m): 5:47am On Jun 02, 2016
tit:

ha ha ha

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by funkydislo: 5:51am On Jun 02, 2016
Jirate:
Generate, Transmit and Distribute Electricity 24/7 Basis that is Change, why is APC now Missing In Action?. cool cool cool
I know that you have brain but just decided not to use it.Have they completed their tenure before judging them?Hmm

6 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by fiizznation: 6:37am On Jun 02, 2016
Nigeria a country with 27 on-grid{3 hydros, 24 gas/streams} generating stations with a total nameplates generation capacity of about 15000MW and yet we are still struggling to generate just 5000MW, Funny. That's why I laugh whenever I hear the power minister{I still don't know what's a SAN's business with the power ministry} screaming 20,000MW. There are just so many things wrong with our power sector that I don't even know where to start from.

Anyway maybe if all the debts we owned these gencos and their gas suppliers are fully cleared, maybe we might just begin to enjoy steady power supply. I don't even think the power minister can performed any magic in the power sector as long as we are still owning these gencons so much.

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:55am On Jun 02, 2016
Jirate:
Because of this
and this

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by gurunlocker: 7:58am On Jun 02, 2016
Do you mean on paper? No light here for 1 week and 1 day now....

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by dragonking2: 7:58am On Jun 02, 2016
[size=16]APC and lies is like bread and butter [/size]

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by omokoladele(m): 7:58am On Jun 02, 2016
E go better
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by kstix(m): 7:59am On Jun 02, 2016
Work in progress i presume. Lets hope for the best
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by LibidoFoods: 7:59am On Jun 02, 2016
I can feel it where I live
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by hertheytheydgee(m): 8:00am On Jun 02, 2016
For God sake stop lying

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Kezifils(m): 8:01am On Jun 02, 2016
They should please stop blaming pipeline vandalism for low power supply. When the pipes were in order, why was there still no electricity?

4 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by banom(m): 8:02am On Jun 02, 2016
Story story ...... Story. Power generation has increased while in my are we never get light since this week. Nigeria is a comedy .

2 Likes

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by obaiIaIa(m): 8:02am On Jun 02, 2016
Whr is the power? No power here oo. Since 3pm yesterday, its been all powerless!!

Baba Fashola, no bobo us..

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Femich18(m): 8:05am On Jun 02, 2016
This power issue ehen....Give us stable light and 50% of Nigerians problem will be solve

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by alt3r3g0: 8:06am On Jun 02, 2016
Let NDA leave the gas pipelines alone
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by tatucci: 8:06am On Jun 02, 2016
when people start blowing ambigous grammar you know they are not doing much: "...due to constraints.." Whaat are the constraints ? E pass wetin dem dey work? I no even get time to read long story...

1 Like

Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by DeleSuper1: 8:07am On Jun 02, 2016
Nonsense, why won't it jack up now 70.8% of Nigerians alternate to generator 18.6% now bank on solar power and inverter
so tell me now how many people are using your useless megawatt as you call it.
bundesliga.
gerarahere joo!
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 02, 2016
Na una know. As for me na solar panels and inverters sure pass. No time to wait for a government which can't discern left from right to give me something they can't provide in the first place.
Re: Power Generation Rebounds To 2,820MW by hahn(m): 8:09am On Jun 02, 2016
No light here o. I dey think of how to on gen sef undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos: What I’ll do in first 100 days if voted governor – Sanwo-Olu / Falana To Sue Judge Over Inspection Of Detention Facilities / We Will Do All It Takes To Secure Nigeria, Osinbajo Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.