Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,499 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell (14327 Views)

Soyinka: The Mad Old Professor (MOP) / Soyinka: The Chauvinist Bitterness For The Empowerment Of Women In Nigeria / Wole Soyinka: The Next Phase Of Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Starlett: 10:55am On Jun 19, 2013
Nigerians who are old enough will surely recall the source of the above title. For others, I ought to narrate its origin. Fortunately, early this year, I delivered a lecture at the University of Ibadan, where I made a passing reference to the true owners of that copyright. Here is the relevant section:

“At the passing of a short-lived dictator, his successor decreed two weeks of mourning, two weeks during which the nation went into a coma. Even the television and radio stations closed down – nothing but martial and funereal music was played, while churches and mosques took over the abandoned air-waves to drown the nation in suras and canticles of lachrymose outpouring. A very sharp group quickly formed something that was called the National Mourners Association – clever lot! While the nation was quarantined and bogged down in the orgy of lamentation, they were touring the world, sponsored by government, to take the gospel of anguish to every corner of the world that boasted a Nigerian diplomatic mission.”

Yes, that was at the death of General Murtala Mohammed. But now, we turn to address the latest progenies of that association, operating in a different clime and context, but cacophonously enmeshed in variations on that ancient tune.

When that day comes that individuals encounter hostility over their sensibilities in dealing with loss in their own way, privately, away from public eye, with or without symbolic public gestures, then we are witnessing the end, not simply of plain civility, but of civilization, and the enthronement of Fascism. It is not the intolerance and excess of a moment’s excitation, but of a cultivated arrogance and will to imposition, one that attempts to dictate the private responses of others to shared events. Once again we are confronted with the Nigerian phenomenon of the egregious appropriation of what is not on offer and thus, is not subject to dispute. Where frustrated, these claimants reel out chapters from their Book of Imprecations.

Let it be stated here, for the avoidance of doubt, that I am a solid believer in the collective rites of Farewell. I believe in Ritual. Humanity is often assisted to reconcile with loss in a collective, and even spectacular mode. The choice to participate or not, however, belongs to each individual, including even those who arrogate to themselves the mission of imposing on others their own preferred mode of bidding farewell. These self-righteous clerics are dangerous beings, especially where they flaunt the credentials of secular learning and gather in caucuses of presumed Humanities. From the herd, the mindless Internet fiddlers for whom the landing of a planetary probe, or a medical breakthrough is simply distraction from fraudulent internet mailing, nothing less is expected. What menaces the collective health of society is when the deserving highs of intellectual application of the former, become indistinguishable from the loutish low of the latter.

I do not pander to the expectations of the sanctimonious. I can absent myself from any event, for reasons that are personal to me. I can absent myself as the result of a mundane domestic situation, as legitimately as from a visceral rejection of occupancy of the same space, at the same time, in the same cause, with certain other participants. I may absent myself for the very reason of my disdain for that breed which is certain to cavil at the very fact of my absence. Such specimens pollute the very space they claim to honour. Sputter and rage they may, but even the most illustrious of that ilk cannot control that choice, neither will they be permitted free passage to encroach upon, and abuse the private spaces of human responsiveness.

I shall speak to them directly: your psychological profile is commonplace. It is not the honour to Chinua that agitates you, no, it is your own self-regarding that seeks to be reflected in the homage to a departed colleague. It does not take a psycho-analyst to recognize this phenomenon of greedy acquisitiveness, even of immaterial products. Like emotional parasites, you feed off others, but you have never learnt to value what others give, or be thereby nourished. I recognize you, atavistic minds – was it not your type that once disseminated an unbelievably primitive accounting for Chinua Achebe’s motor accident? Here goes the story, for those who seek light relief from ponderous unctuousness:

What happened was that I found myself unable to return to Nigeria for a Colloquium in honour of Chinua’s sixtieth birthday. My dramatic mind immediately scrambled for some striking manner of compensation. So I telephoned a business friend who had some agricultural connections in Delta State and told him: find the chunkiest, spotless ram in Delta State – all white or all black, but a thoroughbred of striking physique. Find a leather pouch, tie it to its neck with the following message and deliver it at the venue of the Colloquium. I no longer recall the exact dictated wording, nothing inspirational, just the usual felicitations and injunctions to turn that ram into asun for general feasting.

Those who attended the event will recall the grand entry of the gift - as reported by one and all, including the foreign visitors, and Chinua’s reported reaction, seated on the podium. He shook head and said, “Typical of Wole”. The ram was then led off to meet its destiny at the hands of the gathered. (As a side note, it was I who took a gift away from his seventieth at Bard University – a sobering flash of time past that resulted in my ELEGY FOR A NATION. I had that poem re-published to mark the day of his funeral.)

Our story is only beginning. On the way back from that celebration, Chinua had his accident and was flown to the United Kingdom. At the first opportunity, I made my way there and called up the High Commissioner, Dove-Edwin, who was certain to know the hospital location. It turned out that he also planned a visit that afternoon, and he agreed to give me a ride. We waited – I was joined by two others – waited, and waited, then a phone call came from him that the visit had been called off. The High Commissioner would explain why, on arrival – over a promised dinner, as compensation.

That explanation was this: Dove-Edwin had received communication that some of “Chinua’s people” – a university professor among them, who was named – had pronounced publicly that “Chinua should have known better than to accept a spotless ram from his enemy” – yes, that was the word used – “enemy”. I verified this report from various other sources. Later, an alternative diagnosis surfaced: “Chinua had been too long away from the chieftaincy politics of his hometown, otherwise he would have realized that the title that he took was coveted by some others – and these were deeply steeped in traditional psychic combat”. In short, those rivals “did him in”. Both diagnoses competed for dominance for a while, petering out eventually.

Before the promotion of that alternative cause-and-effect however, Dove-Edwin had re-scheduled, and we had a most bracing, optimistic afternoon with Chinua. Yes, our patient was eventually told the cause of the earlier postponement, and he had a good laugh. On my return to Nigeria, I could not wait to take the opportunity of a public lecture to invite all desperate enemies to please send me their rams of choice – spotless, spotted, piebald, striped or nondescript – so I could treat starving writers to free meals in my home for the rest of the year. And I promised to taste a piece of each ram before serving.

Yes, it is that same breed that continues to sow poison in the minds of the susceptible. Alas for you, it so happens that some of us insist on our own way of commemorating, of being there, even when absent. You, by contrast were never there, however ostentatiously you position yourselves at the event, or at vicarious gatherings to denounce, attribute sinister motivations, and inseminate hate against those whom your pedestrian vision cannot see. Your very loudness proclaims your absence. You were always absent. You will always be absent. So, this communication is not really meant for you but for those potential almajiri – whose minds you corrupt daily with your jeremiads in that accomodating madrassa known as Internet. As a teacher, I lament your failure to use the opportunity of the passing of a revered writer to turn your younger generation in enlightened directions. You have chosen instead to coarsen their sensibilities and breed in their minds misunderstanding, suspicion and above all – hate!

You will have understood by now how I have come to view you as no different from the homicidal clerics who arm youths with kerosene and match, cudgel and knife, a few Naira in their beggars’ bowls, and dispatch them to set fire to structures of comradely cohabitation, of reflection, of mind enlargement, and destroy communities of learning. Your gospel of separatism goes beyond the geographical – in which I have not the slightest interest! – but the humanistic. The difference is in the weapon – in your case, poison, mind corrosion. The means – Internet, and its wide open, undiscriminating generosity. That is where you lay spores of poison, and doom future generations to a confinement of human relationships within the darkest corners of the mind.

You are beyond pity. Kindly absent your selves from my funeral, when that event finally intrudes.
Wole SOYINKA
http://saharareporters.com/column/village-mourners-association-wole-soyinka

15 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:46am On Jun 19, 2013
1st cool

That noted, we need to undstnd dt our tribalism and decietful nature won't allow us go near a major development.

Like buhari settin up refinery in kaduna and not the east.

Like if set in the east, the easterns in turn raising war on other tribes who owns an oil bloc and claiming it as their rights.

Like kogi people refusing to sell land to any igbo. Even if wot he is proposing to erect will benefit the lots.

Like a tribe won't give another tribe a job even though more qualified dn d post.

Like u and i. Like all Nigerians!

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by lawbabs: 12:12pm On Jun 19, 2013
Waoh! I can't help but trip for this man. He is too deep and advance for this society called Naija. Really!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by bokohalal(m): 12:30pm On Jun 19, 2013
No one in Nigeria spoke up more for Biafra during the Civil war than WS. Yet, the internet and opinions in newspapers by bitter minds would make you sometimes think twice about being altruistic.
I personally think tribalism is our biggest problem and not corruption.
A fo.ol wrote on the Nigeria vs. Tahiti thread:
Biafra 5 Tahiti 0.

19 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by wellmax(m): 1:34pm On Jun 19, 2013
Its worth the time to read

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 19, 2013
There is something about WS that interests me - his use of language and construction. It leaves the listener or reader with deep thoughts. And as his collegue, Robert Fox, in the University of Ife in the 1970s and 1980s says, it is deep rooted in the Ifa corpus which are "oro ijinle" (deep words).
Moderators, front page.

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by wellmax(m): 1:41pm On Jun 19, 2013
You will always be absent. So, this communication is not really meant for you but for those potential almajiri – whose minds you corrupt daily with your jeremiads in that accommodating madrassa known as Internet. As a teacher, I lament your failure to use the opportunity of the passing of a revered writer to turn your younger generation in enlightened directions. You have chosen instead to coarsen their sensibilities and breed in their minds misunderstanding, suspicion and above all – hate!

You will have understood by now how I have come to view you as no different from the homicidal clerics who arm youths with kerosene and match, cudgel and knife, a few Naira in their beggars’ bowls, and dispatch them to set fire to structures of comradely cohabitation, of reflection, of mind enlargement, and destroy communities of learning. Your gospel of separatism goes beyond the geographical – in which I have not the slightest interest! – but the humanistic. The difference is in the weapon – in your case, poison, mind corrosion. The means – Internet, and its wide open, undiscriminating generosity. That is where you lay spores of poison, and doom future generations to a confinement of human relationships within the darkest corners of the mind.

You are beyond pity. Kindly absent your selves from my funeral, when that event finally intrudes.
Wole SOYINKA

My favorite paragraph, but who's WS referring too na?

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by EkoIle1: 1:44pm On Jun 19, 2013
^^^^^^^ That was very deep..

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Starlett: 1:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
wellmax:

Methinks he refers to those who for some reason, are giving him "knocks" for not showing up at Achebe's funeral. Gist of some of their unsavoury comments may have reached the ears of WS much the same way it got to him about the White ram gift. lol. We Africans need to grow up in some respects. I wouldn't blame our culture for this one, but rather some "atavistic" worldviews of a bigotted few!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by amakenny: 2:01pm On Jun 19, 2013
But has WS any excuse for not attending CA's funeral?
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by lawbabs: 2:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
wellmax:

Same here but the entire piece got me thinking about Nigeria and how far we are from civility, and how we are living in the delusion that the oyinbos are the racists. What is the difference between a racist and a tribalist? Sectional politics and tribalistic allignment among the youth is proving to be a red signal - Danger to the survival of our national entity. Everyday, some bigots here use the nairaland platform to sow toxic seeds of discord especially between the Igbos and the Yorubas. It is time for them to repent!

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by otokx(m): 2:17pm On Jun 19, 2013
WS knows his onions indeed.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jun 19, 2013
It is the slim balls who have never stood up or fought for anything noble that Soyinka trained his sights on here.
Yes, I am referring to the able-bodied Nigerian - young and old - who defaults to a state of paralysis and mind-atrophy, when the conscience gets exercised a bit. This vocal and at once inept group are easy to recognise, because their peculiar mind-set, like smoke, is difficult to conceal.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by takedat(m): 2:29pm On Jun 19, 2013
eGuerrilla: It is the slim balls who have never stood up or fought for anything noble that Soyinka trained his sights on here.
Yes, I am referring to the able-bodied Nigerian - young and old - who defaults to a state of paralysis and mind-atrophy, when the conscience gets exercised a bit. This vocal and at once inept group are easy to recognise, because their peculiar mind-set, like smoke, is difficult to conceal. grin

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by 4Willywilly: 2:34pm On Jun 19, 2013
Wole Soyinka should be happy that his friend is called Father of African Literature.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
I sense WS is refering to those who use bitter words, especially on the internet, to accuse him of having grouse against CA. To them, this made him not attend his funeral. I believe WS, even though he might be in the country, decided not to attend the funeral because if anything bad had happened after it, he would be accused. Don't forget that he mentioned that a professor accused him for using his gift of ram to CA as a Trojan horse during his birthday in 1990 to cause his accident which confirned him to wheel chair till his death.

Why are these people so particular about Kongi? By the way, how many renown writers attended the funeral?
WS' action reminds of Robert Greene's 48 Laws of Power, where he says that our absence speaks volume of us than our presence.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by bokohalal(m): 2:51pm On Jun 19, 2013
amakenny: But has WS any excuse for not attending CA's funeral?
amakenny: But has WS any excuse for not attending CA's funeral?
Read the piece and get the reason(ing).

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
4Willywilly: Wole Soyinka should be happy that his friend is called Father of African Literature.
Don't cause a scene you won't be fit to play in, young man. Be warned.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by 4Willywilly: 3:02pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Ola Johnson this is last time am warning you, don't you have respect for your Elders.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by nku5: 3:40pm On Jun 19, 2013
Cap n Blood ooo! These titans don dey go. Who is going to replace men like these. Soyinka is too much.

I thank God he has spoken his mind about people who have made it their life's duty to disseminate their bigot poison on the Internet

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by masu: 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2013
Abstention from a colleague's funeral, is it a sign that one is generating LOVE among the living; or a sign that one is generating HATRED among the living?

anyway I love WS but he should be man enuf to speak direct words to whomever he talks to next time.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 19, 2013
4Willywilly:
Ola Johnson this is last time am warning you, don't you have respect for your Elders.
Agbala/Mazi (Elder), I'm sorry. Let's not derail this thread.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 19, 2013
Front page.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 19, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Methinks these are the most sensible words you've ever typed on NL. cheesy. I tot you were gonna flow wit dat guy, really thinking about bringing out my olive branch....but let's see. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by lawbabs: 4:20pm On Jun 19, 2013
masu: Abstention from a colleague's funeral, is it a sign that one is generating LOVE among the living; or a sign that one is generating HATRED among the living?

anyway I love WS but he should be man enuf to speak direct words to whomever he talks to next time.

When the elders talk, they don't talk in full. A smart chap would understand though!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Awake9ja(m): 4:27pm On Jun 19, 2013
With all this bile and bad blood being disseminated by Wole Soyinka since the death of the man who regarded him as a friend till he closed his eyes in death, it has become necessary to question Wole motive. Obviously, he did not learn discretion from his departed "friend". Somebody should please tell him that he belittles himself the more with each Achebe-related explosion. Why bother to explain why he did not attend Chinua Achebe's funeral? How can anyone expect him to be able to attend after the most saddening interview he gave on the eve of Achebe's funeral? Somebody should please, tell Wole Soyinka to shield his sword. Achebe has departed in a blaze of glory leaving him behind to wonder how it all happened. Moreover, this kind of bitterness is injurious to the health.

11 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Awake9ja(m): 4:32pm On Jun 19, 2013
But I wonder if it makes much sense for him to use the medium of the Internet, which he called "accomodating madrassa" to express his anger.

Prof, if you choose to share what sounds like a private rebuttal to an adversary with us, go ahead and tell us the person's name. Or do you expect us to know all those who hate you? Or is the essay a kind of "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN?"

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
dozzybaba: Methinks these are the most sensible words you've ever typed on NL. cheesy. I tot you were gonna flow wit dat guy, really thinking about bringing out my olive branch....but let's see. cheesy
I know where this will continue, and even end. I'm ready. Just wait for it to make front page when your people would know of it. I have MB.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by naptu2: 4:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
I think I can understand how he feels (I've been there before). You have a friend whom you've known for decades. Both of you discuss all the time. You collaborate. You know his mind. One day he dies and people who have never spoken to him before start claiming all sorts of things on his behalf.

For the record, Achebe always rejected the title of father of African literature. Soyinka knows this because he knows Achebe personally.

Thursday 12 November 2009 14.53 GMT

[size=14pt]Achebe rejects endorsement as 'father of modern African literature'[/size]

Nigerian novelist says he resists the tag 'very, very strongly' because it obscures the role of many other writers.

Nigerian author Chinua Achebe has spoken out about his dislike at being labelled "the father of modern African literature".

The author of the multi-million bestseller Things Fall Apart, Achebe was given the label by Nadine Gordimer as he was awarded the Man Booker International prize two years ago; it has been frequently used both before and since. But the author said yesterday that he "resisted that very, very strongly".

"It's really a serious belief of mine that it's risky for anyone to lay claim to something as huge and important as African literature ... the contribution made down the ages. I don't want to be singled out as the one behind it because there were many of us – many, many of us," he said when asked about the title.

Achebe was speaking to the student newspaper of Brown University, the Brown Daily Herald, before a welcome event at the university as he joined the faculty as professor of Africana studies. He will be overseeing a new initiative at Brown, the Chinua Achebe Colloquium on Africa, which the university said would be developed "in keeping with his life's work to foster greater knowledge of Africa".

Achebe said that the idea of the colloquium would be "to take issues that come up". "Today Africa is a continent of issues wherever you look, and so I thought the best thing to do now is not to limit ourselves to one or two or even three issues, but to look at Africa bursting with problems and find out what we can do in each case," he told the student paper.

"For instance, the issue of governance, which is a major problem – presidents that do not want to retire when their terms are up, elections that are rigged, violence at elections ... Whatever we are doing, we're not doing right. Nigeria has been independent for nearly 50 years and look where we are."

Achebe, 78, is the author of numerous novels, including Arrow of God, A Man of the People and Anthills of the Savannah as well as his 1958 debut, Things Fall Apart, and a wide range of short stories and poetry. He is also known for his essays, with his 1975 piece An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's Heart of Darkness savaging Joseph

Conrad's novel as "thoroughgoingly racist".

His new book, The Education of a British-Protected Child, is a collection of autobiographical essays reflecting on his upbringing in Nigeria, and is due out from Allen Lane in January in the UK. The publisher described it as "a vivid, ironic and delicately nuanced portrait of growing up in colonial Nigeria and inhabiting its 'middle ground', examining both his happy memories of reading English adventure stories in secondary school and also the harsher truths of colonial rule". Its contents "span reflections on personal and collective identity, on home and family, on literature, language and politics, and on Achebe's lifelong attempt to reclaim the definition of 'Africa' for its own authorship".

http://m.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/nov/12/achebe-rejects-father-modern-african-literature

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
lawbabs:

When the elders talk, they don't talk in full. A smart chap would understand though!
Abo oro la n so fun omoluabi, to ba de inu e a di odindin.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Awake9ja(m): 5:46pm On Jun 19, 2013
by Ola Johnson(m): 4:49pm
lawbabs:
Abo oro la n so fun omoluabi, to ba de inu e a di odindin.

SO THEN WHY ARE YOU GUYS ANGRY WITH ACHEBE SINCE HE TOO TALKS IN RIDDLES IN HIS BOOK "THERE WAS A COUNTRY"

hahaha hehehe a snake can only begot a snake ,
but a lion always begots his likes.
Re: Soyinka - The Village Mourners - A Must-read Bombshell by Awake9ja(m): 5:51pm On Jun 19, 2013
am OUT I don't wana join you guys in your fight of bitterness against ibos,

how I wish Fulani and hausas are fighting like this we MB would have been freed from them long time ago.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tension In Military Over Promotion, Retirement Of Generals / Igbo Man Defeats Incumbent In Lagos For Reps / Lazy Youths Will Not Get Buhari’s N5,000 Stipend – Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.