Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,059 members, 7,956,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:00 AM

What Lurks In The Dark - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Lurks In The Dark (33306 Views)

Dark Tears Of Babylon (A Short Story) / The Dark Tommorow / The Dark Side Of “christ Embassy” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by ubiquitousade(m): 10:34pm On Dec 16, 2013
Oga Jay I am not Sade, its ubiquitous-ade.
anyway thanks for your explanation, my take is that David is in a dream and I hope am correct in the end.
Please we are waiting ooo
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:10pm On Dec 16, 2013

Silence sustained for some seconds.
I could read the confusion on Sandra’s face and I knew that she could also read mine.
What indeed was he talking about?

‘What do you want from us? Why not just let us go’ Sandra said with a weak voice.

‘Why did you save us if you want to keep us? I don’t understand your actions and this silence is killing me slowly’

The priest starred at us for a while. His eyes were red.
He stood up and removed the seat from the mother system, placed it before us and sat down.

‘David, Sandra, oh, such beautiful names…’ he said picking his words soberly.
I could not understand his sudden sobriety.
I turned to Sandra asking her with my eyes what the sudden atmosphere was all about; but she shook her head in the negative.

We turned back and faced the priest.
I wanted to ask him what was wrong, but the words did not just come.

He shook his head vehemently.
‘Oh, see how beautiful they are’
He said in a loud wailing voice. Suddenly a tear dropped from his eyes. He hurriedly reached for his muffler, and wiped his face. He removed his turban and let it drop from his back freely to the ground.

I watched him with grave confusion.
I turned to Sandra, caught her eyes, and then turned back. I could not understand his gestures.

‘Oh how will I start…’ he said as he sobbed the more.

‘No this is rubbish, what is all this drama, what mischief is he up to this time?’

‘Sir, if you think you will convince us to join volturis because you like our face, then I am sorry because that will never happen. It is better you kill us than persuade us to be cannibals. God forbid!’

‘Oh, how can I persuade you to join volturis. How can I permit you to sell your soul to the devil? Do you know how I wish to be out of cultism; to be out of witchcraft and become as beautiful as you are, do you know what it means to be free of commitments tied down to blood covenant? Do you know what it is to live on human flesh? Kill humans and offer sacrifices of blood to Lucifer, do you know what it means?’

‘What are you talking about?’ I asked, examining him critically.

‘But you chose your life. No one chose it for you. So why then are you feeling bad? If you are tired of your miserable life then come out!’
Sandra snapped.

‘I cannot come out. I have sold my soul to the devil’

‘I do not understand’ I said.

‘You do not know who I am. You are only lucky to find the good part of me. I am a wicked and hostile man. I have done the most terrible things you could ever think of. I have dined with the devil. I was part of those that established the satanic kingdom in Abuja some years back, bringing the headquarters from Lagos down to Abuja. We are strong forces behind the Abuja carnival. We awake and appease the demons. I am feared everywhere… I have read thousands of cultic books. I have… But I choose the life…’
He nodded soberly.

‘So how does all these relate to us?’

‘Well it doesn’t, I am only glad that you have a life, I mean a better life. My advice to you is that you choose the path of truth. Become serious Christians. Have a life, do not be like me’

‘Who are you to give us advice to be good people?’ I narrowed

He bowed his head and kept silent for some time.

After sometime-
‘I think I now have the strength to tell you what has been bothering my mind…’

I sat at the edge of my seat. I quickly turned to Sandra I could also read the curiosity in her eyes. I turned back.
‘We are all ears priest, go ahead’

‘Very soon it would make eighteen years that I left Nigeria for India.
However years before that I had a life, although it does not qualify to be called a life, but I felt that I was having fun.
This may sound shocking to Dave, but, Dave’s father, Salami and I, were classmates and close friends back then in High School.’

My pulse raced.
‘So the connection had been from Adam, let me see where this train ends.’
I mumbled.

‘We were lousy kids, mischievous and terrible. We started together in Comprehensive Grammar College Lagos. We did everything together, ate, drank, scaled the fence, you know the rest, just everything our juvenile delinquency permitted us to do’

‘I would not want to waste time on our exploits back then in school. After we finished school in 1992, we did not get admission for the next three years. We all applied for University Of Lagos then, we all wanted to be lawyers, although we had C6 in government, English and Literature. Even the C6 we had was by exam malpractices. We organized the papers and took the answers into the exam hall.’

‘During that period of our waiting, we roamed the streets of Lagos together. Our parents were in the village, we really did not care about them. We lived in a one room apartment where our little laborer job and hustle life fetched us rent’

‘I must testify to my experience that the hard life is not good, poverty is a mocker, more terrible than wine.
In 1996, I was on my way back from an odd job I had executed, when I saw a poster pasted on an uncompleted building not too far away from our apartment. It was more of a public house, guys chill there at times.
I could still remember the heading of the poster, it read….

ADMISSION! ADMISSION! ADMISSION!

SAT’S SCHOOL OF MAGIC AND POWER INDIA
Offers free admission for all.

I was thrilled by the advert. I did not care about the five words that came before India; all I wanted was to get out of poverty. I wanted my life to have more meaning.
I drew closer to the poster to get more details. Beneath they wrote

To apply,
Write a letter to the SAT SCHOOL OF MAGIC AND POWER INDIA
Sign the letter with your own blood, a drop is effective.
Burn the letter in the fire; it must be sent by 2am
You must be alone when posting it.
Believe in the process, you will get a reply in three days.
Everybody is qualified, no JAMB, no WAEC, no SAT…

I was surprised at the process. I had asked my self
‘Is that how easy it is to get out of the shores of this country, just like that?’
Although I could easily guess that the abbreviated word, Sat, could mean Satan, I did not care. I did not take it seriously.
Beside I did not give a damn about the structure called the church, or the religion called Christianity.
Back then in school I could count the number of times I went to FCS (fellowship of Christian Students) it was so not my thing.’

‘It did not get any better; rather I grew into hating Christians and the way they pretended. How could one be free from lying, anger, sex, in which they gave the big name fornication and adultery; I could not let that go, laye!’

‘It was if the Devil was ordering my life then. I somehow stormed into some philosophical writings, especially stoicism. I was really in love with philosophy. I could not say whether I believed in God or not, but I was sure that there was no logical prove to say that God exists. Although in our meetings with Lucifer, he always talks about God, and how he can frustrate His plans, but that is between.’

‘Deep down my heart, I craved hungrily for power. I wanted to be beyond normal, I wanted to be mysterious. I wanted to be able to see beyond normal humans. I felt that life would make no sense without a touch of spirituality
It was as if the poster was synchronizing with my heaviest desires. It was a rare opportunity, or so I saw it.’

‘I went home that day thinking about it. However, I did not tell my friends. I knew that although they were not serious Christians, they were at least religious and would not buy such ideas. I was never a person who enforces personal will on others.’

‘The next day I went to the uncompleted building but I could no longer find the poster. I asked people around if they saw the poster, they all confessed to the negative. Nevertheless, there was always this absurd look after the reply, like
Are you out of your brains? What do you want to do with a Satanic School?’

‘I saw the event as a way of the supernatural calling out to me.
Still keeping it secret, I went ahead and wrote the letter. I can still remember the words of the letter till date…’

‘I did not know how to describe our house, because our house did not actually have a description. I knew that it was a spiritual process and tracing me would as well be spiritual.
So I just wrote-

Surulere, Lagos,
Nigeria.
To The Sat School of Magic and Wonders.
India.
Dear Sir,
APPLICATION TO BE A STUDENT AT THE ABOVE NAMED INSTITUTION

My name is Kingsley Johnson. I am interested in the supernatural.
I crave for something deeper and spiritual. I am not a religious fanatic. I would love to receive my training in The Sat School of Magic and Wonders, India. I know that been extraordinary takes extra powers.
Admit me if you like, but if you do you will find me a great asset
I hope to hear from you soon.
Yours Faithfully,

Below is the seal of my blood.
….
Kingsley Johnson.

‘After I had scribbled the letter with our ancient lantern, I quietly tiptoed out of our room, to avoid waking my two other friends. It was about 1:30am, and the crickets were at their peak pitch. It was a scary venture, but I also knew that it was a price I needed to pay for ‘liberation’. I picked up a small knife and kept it in my back pocket covering it with my polo T-shirt, just in case.’

‘I went straight to the same uncompleted building.
I took some kerosene, lighter and picked some dried grass, because it was the harmathan season; around December.’

‘I set up the fire by five minutes to two. Once it was two on the dot, I dropped the letter into the fire As I dropped the paper into the fire, it burnt so bright, and increased as if I had poured a cup of fuel inside.
I feared greatly, that it would cause unnecessary attention.
As I yet thought on the next course of action, the fire quenched. I checked my wristwatch, it was exactly 2:01.
I drew closer to the fire, only to discover that there was no ash, the fire even licked the dust that was around it. My heart almost jumped out of my chest. It took me days trying to understand what happened’
‘Somehow, I did not really expect it to happen. Or maybe I should say I did not really believe in it. But it suddenly dawned on me with the heavy weight of reality, which I dreaded’

As I walked back home, thinking of what I had just done, I heard a church singing. They were not close, but they had loud speakers. They were having a vigil.

They sang-
‘Would you be free from the bondage of sin,
There is power in the blood, power in the blood.
Would you receive cleansing from Jesus your king?
There is wonderful power in the blood.’

‘I felt a strange power emanating from the church. I felt something reaching out to me.
My whole life became a picture of bondage.
As the church sang on, my heart began to break. I could not move my legs. I began to feel a peace that comes from giving your heart to Jesus. I felt out of this world…
I think that was my closest moment to Jesus. I wanted to walk into the church, but I feared the ridicule I would receive from my friends. I was the hard guy that does not care about church; I never wanted to loose that’

‘I waited until the church finished their song.
Then the pastor mounted the podium and the first thing he said was that,

‘The spirit of the lord is speaking to someone right now; He says I should tell you to come to me before the devil makes your life miserable. He has come to kill, steal and destroy. There is power in the blood’

‘I did not really understand what he meant by there is power in the blood. Was he referring to the blood I had just used to seal my letter? Or was he referring to the blood of Jesus Christ?
Does it mean that I have made a blood covenant with the devil?’

‘I stood still on the road, and listened a little more.
Then suddenly, I heard hasty footsteps, a man was running and shouting “Egba mi o, armed robbers, they have killed my daughter!”

‘They have kill what?’ in fact I did not know when I sprinted and started panting before my door.’

‘Three days later, I was cooking at about 2 in the afternoon. I was the only one at home, my friends had gone for some job. Then, I heard a knock on the door. I tried to reduce the kerosene stove; afterwards I hurried to the door.
As I got to the door, I saw that a brown envelope had been slipped beneath our rickety door.
I picked it up, and to my surprise on the envelope was written’

To Kingsley Johnson.

I quickly opened it and found different papers of different colors. I was so curious that I poured everything on the ground.
The first paper I picked was a letter. As I opened it, my mouth fell ajar.

‘Congratulations Kingsley Johnson, you have been admitted to the Sat school of Magic India. Attached are your Visa, National ID…’

I could not believe what I was reading I dropped the papers and ran out of the house. I stood meters away from my house trying to see if the person had gone far. The street was busy and I could not pinpoint anybody.’

‘I stayed for sometime panting. I could not believe that it was real.
Was I really ready for what I have signed for?’
Suddenly I remembered that I had food on fire.’

‘Before I continue, I want you to know that I am telling you all these so that you will understand why I had to leave your mother. It was not my making. I hope you will understand’

Did I really hear that?
No I will wait for the next episode!
Yhew!

1 Like

Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:11pm On Dec 16, 2013
so the priest got initiated,
no one got it right
(loads MTN N1000)

he he he
Next tym :-))
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:14pm On Dec 16, 2013
ubiquitousade: Oga Jay I am not Sade, its ubiquitous-ade.
anyway thanks for your explanation, my take is that David is in a dream and I hope am correct in the end.
Please we are waiting ooo

alwite.
i'm sorry for the error. Noted.

as for the dream aspect, hmmm
i dont really dish out stuffs, but i will not mind dishing this.
count it out of the dream world.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:15pm On Dec 16, 2013
Rex Jeezy:
So Jay. . .you been dey drink palm-wine before kon dey play. Lol. Okay. I think Jay gets initiated if I don't see the update today. . . .

lollz-
its out grin
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 11:21pm On Dec 16, 2013
jayloyexten: so the priest got initiated,
no one got it right
(loads MTN N1000)

he he he
bad guy
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 10:16am On Dec 17, 2013
I talk am say na their papa d man be
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by RexJeezy: 1:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
jayloyexten: so the priest got initiated,
no one got it right
(loads MTN N1000)

he he he
Tah! Getaway. You fit give N1,000 Mtn card. . .lol.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Gen2jaynee: 2:36pm On Dec 17, 2013
ah cant wait for the next episode.......................plssssssssssss jay for our names sake update shaperly
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 9:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
Just getting more intersting.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:45am On Dec 18, 2013
Gen2jaynee: ah cant wait for the next episode.......................plssssssssssss jay for our names sake update shaperly

sure i respect those three letters JAY
bin quite busy buh xpect it late today or early 2mao.
ceteri paribus.
thanks dear.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 9:48am On Dec 18, 2013
Damex333: I talk am say na their papa d man be

ehn u try
buh e get smfin wey u never get...
e go shock u,
nxt episode.
;-)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by sconp: 11:24pm On Dec 18, 2013
*observing cool. I dey wait
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2013

I turned to Sandra. Our eyes met. Unconsciously we asked in unison- turning back to him.
‘Whose mother?’

‘I mean your mother, both of you’ He said.

There was a short moment of graveness.

‘With due respect sir, I thought you schooled at India. Is it not terrible that you cannot distinguish between singular and plural? Or what sort of confusion is this’
Sandra probed

‘I did not go to an English school’ he replied dumbly.

‘Then that is better’

‘But that does not mean that I do not know that from primary school’
He raised his brows gently.

‘Its no problem sir I know it was a mistake, please just continue’ I spluttered

‘I actually mean mother, not mothers. That is what I am saying’ He said.

‘But it does not make any sense, what do you mean, she is not my sister or are you confused?!’

‘Please just give me some time you will understand me better. Do not think it is easy for me’

‘You see this is what I hate about the African culture; elders feel too big to bend low and acknowledge their ills’ Sandra pressed harder.

‘Please be patient with me, I will explain everything’ he said in a crying voice.

‘What do you mean by you will explain, what is there to explain?’

‘Please listen’ he said lifting up his hands.

I turned to Sandra. She shook her head. I got the message and turned back to the priest.
Somehow, my heartbeat increased. I was sure that the same thing was happening to Sandra as well.

‘This part is a bit difficult but I want you both to hear me out. The envelope contained everything I needed, including an already booked ticket.
I was to leave the following week. The nature of the school was not something I could jubilate and tell my friends; it was a bit pathetic. I mean it was Satanic, you understand?
So I kept it secret I did not tell anybody that I was traveling, not even my girl friend that I loved deeply’

‘I left the following week without telling anybody. In fact, they did not even know when I stuffed up my box, they only assumed that I was just been organized. I was a very organized person then, and they knew me for that. Besides, the school assured me of everything I needed, including clothing and toothbrush’

‘It was after I had gotten to India that I called my friends to tell them how sorry I was. I explained to them about the nature of the school. I told them that it was Satanic, but I do not care.
I explained to them as detailed as possible. Just as it should be, they were offended and did not reply my letter for about a month. It was later on I understood why they could forgive me.’

‘I can still remember some of the words of the letter…

It reads-
Chickens though born of one mother do not live forever together.
One day a taller animal in two legs would take one or some to a foreign land where it will eat more than just grains, but succulent dishes.
We find it very painful to loose you. But you are gone and there is nothing we can do about it...
We will also like to tell you that we have given our lives to Jesus Christ and you really should, because it is beautiful.
Our advice is that you pull out of that Satanic school, because it is only going to land you in Hell meant for the Devil and his angels…
In all do not forget we love you and truly miss you.
Your Niggers-
Salami and Joseph

‘Although the letter was longer than that, but that was the main content’

‘It was pleasant to know that my friends had forgiven me, but that gave me only little joy.’

‘There was this girl back then in Nigeria, her name was LINDA. We were friends from secondary school. She graduated and got admission immediately to university of Lagos. She was a medical student, a very bright girl she was.
This girl was the most beautiful person I had ever seen back then. She was Beautiful in everything, character, mind, skin and even soul. She was just the bomb.
We fell madly in love without looking up. As a smart Lagos boy who never wanted to dull any moment at hand, I began to touch her gradually…’
‘One day we were over ourselves in her room, that day we made love unexpectedly. Well it was unexpected for her, but it was not so for me. I knew that as a smart Lagos boy, I was not meant to ask for the cookies, but just create the rightful scene that would hand it over. And that was what I did. I never wanted to hurt her; I loved her. But I felt that the best way to show love was to do the thin’
She was hurt and wept bitterly that she had lost her virginity on a platter of insecurity. I pledged security to her that day. And because I truly loved her I was also hurt that I made her feel so bad.’

‘Due to the unfortunate incidence, we were apart for some time. One day she invited me to her room close to University of Lagos, She lived off campus. I was surprised at the state I met her, she was seriously desiring what had made us part. And like a drama it happened again.
It was a great moment in my life. We continued having fun, but it was by her timing, you know girls’

‘In the midst of this our saccharine love, I was admitted to India.
In fact, if I was to have any solid reason of not going to India, it would be because of her sake.
But she was already in campus and there was no hope for me, life must go on. I must make progress. Deep down I knew that with a little pushing from her I could forgo India and stay beside her, my head resting forever on her velvet bosoms.
But it was not in my power. At the end of the letter was a note written in uppercase, italics and painted red

THIS ADMISSION IS COMPULSORY, IF YOU FAIL TO HONOR IT, YOU WILL DIE. IT’S AN AGGREEMENT SEALED WITH BLOOD!

‘So you see that I hardly had a choice. It was compulsory and I was not ready to die.
So it really made no sense for me to forgo the admission with all these grounds, it was something I wanted to do. The threat only ordered me in the right part, and that was how I left her. I left Linda, I loved her but I could not tell her bye, it was heavier than what my mouth can utter’
He bowed his head and sobbed a bit.

Sandra reached for my hand and squeezed it. I squeezed hers too.

‘When I got to India I wrote her a letter. The letter is still fresh in my memory, more so I wrote it from the bottom of my heart’

‘Linda, you are the engine of my heart, without you I would fade out of life as a flower plucked out from the vine…
The moments we shared are still bright in my reminiscence. It shines brighter than the sun.
I wish I can cuddle you right now, and inhale the fragrance of your perfume, but distance stands as a mountain between us. But there is not a mountain that Love cannot conquer…

I know that this update is really short.
but i have been so chocked up.
I ony squeezed this out of tight schedules.
The nexupdate should be out soon maybe tomorrow late.
i just dont want to keep you waitin'
Thank you.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Gen2jaynee: 1:43pm On Dec 19, 2013
ohhhhhhhhhh JAY.......... tnx anyways.thumbs up
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2013
Jay baba i cant possibly stop getting blown up by ur story, with every update. Mehn. You are great Jay
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by plainmirror(m): 4:25pm On Dec 19, 2013
Take ur time bud....... We clamour for terrific updates tongue
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Bulcqlay(m): 6:26pm On Dec 19, 2013
Jay i don dey mis salami nd is carnibal bible verse o
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Felixandra: 2:16pm On Dec 20, 2013
Mr Jay, you are doing a very great job here.
The story is intrestingly intresting. (lol.... Don't mind my grammar).
More update plssssssss
*winks*
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
Gen2jaynee: ohhhhhhhhhh JAY.......... tnx anyways.thumbs up

;-)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:44pm On Dec 22, 2013
Damex333: Jay baba i cant possibly stop getting blown up by ur story, with every update. Mehn. You are great Jay

thanks bro...
;-)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:47pm On Dec 22, 2013
Bulcqlay: Jay i don dey mis salami nd is carnibal bible verse o

enyah...
watin i fit do nw.
(sad face)

never mind salami comes in shortly in anoda form.
watch out
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2013
Felixandra: Mr Jay, you are doing a very great job here.
The story is intrestingly intresting. (lol.... Don't mind my grammar).
More update plssssssss
*winks*

lollz
i dont mind, its cul.
Thank you.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Daniel2802(m): 7:51pm On Dec 22, 2013
always following.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by RexJeezy: 10:38pm On Dec 22, 2013
This thread is pointless without Rex Jeezy. All the new guys beware. Lol. Oga Jay. . .this update short die.
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Marieenkay(f): 12:49am On Dec 23, 2013
M gud kiddie..bet u kickin 2,ryt?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Gen2jaynee: 7:34am On Dec 24, 2013
jay wats happening na?............. wen do we xpect d next update?
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 8:17am On Dec 24, 2013
Gen2jaynee: jay wats happening na?............. wen do we xpect d next update?

im sowee-
bin so busy
xpect updates today....
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 1:29pm On Dec 24, 2013

The letter continues [-]

‘Or has this distance, this sudden departure has it soon faded our love from red to gray?
I truly apologize. Peradventure my friends might have told you about my sudden departure.
I know I did not tell you. But there was no way I could say good bye. ‘Good bye’ is the saddest word ever, I could not utter it; Never
But I am here for good. I am in India Sat school a very wonderful place indeed. It is not like your medical school; here we learn deep stuffs.
I did not leave you because I did not love you. I left you because I wanted my life to get some shape. I hope to finish my schooling here and come down as a better man to hand you an everlasting ring. I am not asking you to wait for me, I am only asking that you just reserve a space in your heart for me, should in case we meet again.

In conclusion, I really miss you Linda and I want you to know that I will forever love you.
I am sorry things have to be this way
What will be capable of breaking our love, how strong can that be?

Think about it. I hope to get a reply soon. Notwithstanding I will write you a letter every week. We could keep in touch.
I send you Indian flowers presented with Indian music.

With deep affection-
KJ

I wrote that letter after my first month in school. The school did not seem any satanic at initial. In fact for the first year we the fresh student stayed at the mini campus. All we did was recreation, learn some language, morals and simply just have fun. I learnt basketball back then and I was a star. It was such a great place. We were 250 students across the world, both black and whites. I could not believe that all the other student posted their letter just the way I did. Deep down I knew that those that applied were more than 250, some other would have been so scared to honor the admission, and probably have received the consequence of death by now.

We weren’t allowed to go to the main campus immediately. We were told in our orientation that the first step in magic and performing the extraordinary is been all one can be physically.

In our speaker’s words that fateful day-
‘The essence of this one year distraction exercise is to make you all you can be as a normal human. So you are going to learn language, computer, public speaking, art, science, the metaphysical, philosophy, psychology, sociology…’

As the speaker listed the list, I felt that it was a hell lot of work, yes it was, but I enjoyed everything, every bit. The way we were taught was so lovely seasoned with a whole lot of practical. It was beautiful.

My course lasted for ten years, but initially I did not know that it would last that long until I heard it at the orientation. Probably if I was aware I would have re-considered my journey. Well what would it have mattered, if I had not honored it I would have been dead long ago.

Look I know that I am deflecting, but everything that I am telling you is for a purpose, and I want you both to listen to me with rapt attention.

‘Now back to Linda.
We were far away but I still felt close to her, I almost could hear her heart beat from India.
I had sleepless night thinking about her; thinking of the slim possibility of having her back years after. The absurd thing was that I sent the letter before I knew how long I was staying.
Ten years was certain, of course, there would be no academic strike like the one I hear all over the media in Nigeria. But ten years was a lot of time. Probably I would have just told her to go ahead and find a love; she should forget all about me.’

‘I wanted to send another letter and yet another, but something held me back. So I waited patiently for her reply, praying every stressed out night for a letter from her.
I could not contain the joy that flooded my mind when the delivery man handed me a letter from Nigeria, with an address from Linda.
I almost hugged the delivery man. I was happy beyond measure.

But my joy evaporated as I began to read the letter.

‘KJ it is really pathetic that you are leaving me at this period of my life. How could you be this heartless, I thought you were different from the pointer-controlled boys? Catherine said that she did not tell you anything, yet she remained the only person I told. Oh I thought you said that you love me, KJ how could you do this.

I do not even know if you are framing up this story. Probably you are truly in India, but I know that one does not just travel out of the country in one day. Yet you did not tell me and you are sending me this annoying note. What do you want me to do with it?

I know you ran away from your responsibility. You know that I was pregnant; I know that Catherine told you or probably you read it the way guys do. I know that I was foolish, I was about three month pregnant yet I was not aware. Little wonder we did not see for the past three weeks. Maybe you had it all figured out

Now you expect me to carry some bastard in my stomach in medical school, moving like a mama bomboy. You are wicked, you are evil, HOW COULD YOU!

Probably you are thinking right now of tearing this letter,
But my sweet KJ, do not take all the previous words so seriously. See I am so confused right here that I just need someone to blame. I am pregnant; I am just nineteen, NINETEEN!

I am happy that you are abroad, seriously. Now I want to assume that you were not aware that I am pregnant. When I came to tell you, I learnt that you were gone.
I know there is love still hidden somewhere in your heart for me. By your letter, I could understand that you are afraid to say goodbye. Me too I know that there was no way I would have looked into your eyes and tell you bye, but anyway you should have still tried.

I am pregnant for you KJ and I want you to know that I would not abort it for anything. I do not know if you are ever going to come back, but my plan is to have the child and give it up for abortion.

KJ I really do not understand how you got to India, can you please tip me.
You said we will talk every week, I will like it to me more frequent than that.
KJ I need to hear from you soon. I love you. Kisses-

Your beloved pregnant girlfriend
Linda

After reading the letter. I did not know how to react. If I was still that frustrated Lagos boy I did not know how I would have taken responsibility of a child and in the twinkle of an eye turn into a family man. I was just 22 then.

I was glad that she was not going to kill the baby, but I also felt the embarrassment it would cause her. the mockery from her friends, her parents…o
I laid all night pressing her letter to my chest, tears welling down my face.

The next morning I replied her

Oh Linda I am glad you understand. I must tell you that I was not aware that you are pregnant. I could not have left you just like that. I am not like the vegetable boys that do not have bearing for their life. I love you Linda and I must tell you that I would not hurt you intentionally.

I am also glad that you are going to keep the child. I respect your decision. I know it is not going to be easy; the ridicule, the shame, the regrets, the derision, among others. But you have decided to do this for us and for the unborn. Thank you, I am very grateful.

I am sorry to tell you this because you may feel disappointed. I am in a satanic school where all we are going to learn is magic, although mixed with science and art. I do not see it as a big deal. I am not becoming a witch. I am not going to kill anybody. I am only going to use my magic to sustain and help people.
In fact what we are doing now is a whole lot, art, science, philosophy, English, language, in fact so much. It is great.

But there is another news that may sound so sad, it was sad for me too when I heard it. My course over here is for ten years. And I am hearing that we may even work another one year after in India before we could go to our various countries.
So I will be here for at least eleven years.
I love you Linda and love is not selfish. Go ahead with your life.
I am no longer the KJ you use to know. But if you can accept me like this…
Well… it takes much.

Please if you give birth to the child and it is male, please name him after me, but if female then name her Joan after the likeness of my surname.

Attached to this envelope is a sum of 1500 Naira.
Yes I know it is a bit large. We are been paid here and well treated, in fact I have my room, a very big one to my self. Please use that to manage my child.

I love you Linda. Even from a distance.
I do not really have much time. I hope to hear from you soon

Please consider all my premises deeply.

The father of your precious child
KJ

I did not know what was wrong with the letter, but after I wrote the letter, I did not get a reply. I waited for a month and still got nothing. I became worried.
I wrote another, and yet another, but I got no reply.

It was painful to accept but I could figure it out that nobody want to have anything to do with a demonic man. It pained me at how Linda jettisoned me. I still tried to write her more letters. I begged her to still be my friend at least if lover would be asking for too much.
But I did not get a single reply. I was hurt beyond measure. I could not contain my disappointment. It took me about two years to get it over, but by my third year in school, Things were so busy and choked up for me that I barely had time for my self.

By my third year, we were taught incarnations and other deep stuffs that do not want to go into right now.

It was not as if I totally forgot about Linda; sometimes I even dream of my child. I see how little it would look like with bright eyes like Linda’s and tiny hands reaching out to me. But the stoic philosophy really saw me through my hard times. It made me understand that there is nothing in the world that is truly ours. There was no point trying to hold so tenaciously the things of this life. Girl friend, relationship and so on, they all do not belong to us, their existence is not in our control.

More so things were beginning to change in my sexual life. In school we had very few girls and the school encouraged homosexuality to the peak. Most of our lecturers were either heterosexual or gay. It was so rampant that I could not run away from it. In no time I could not help been a homosexual. I slept with different guys and gradually I lost all my feelings for females and became stark gay.

In my penultimate year, we were taught cannibalism in full from the Koran aspect, to the biblical aspect to the pagan aspect and to the natural man aspect. We had so much reasons even down to health reasons why we should cannibalize. We were so helpless before the strong reasons, that with zeal we became cannibals. We were also taught psycho kinesis along side. In fact, psycho kinesis was my final year project.

You may be wondering where my conscience was by then, well by the third year in school we all lost our consciences. You cannot stand the intelligence of our lecturers, they were gods, and some were demons incarnate.

In my final year, I received the greatest shocker of my life. My project supervisor called me to his office and told me to sit down.

‘I bring you greetings from LOL’ (Lucifer our Lord. That was how we were taught to greet our superiors)

He was a septuagenarian. But full of power, one of the highest demons in school.

‘Kingsley, man of a stony heart you are welcome’ he said ushering me to the seat before his table.

In the school lecturers and professors do less of preambles they just go straight to the point.
When one of us died in my class the lecturer just came in and said, (without remorse)
‘Our classmate is dead, Paul, precious in the sight of God are the death of the righteous. No body should mourn for the dead. Only the dead mourn for the dead’

You may be surprised that he quoted a bible verse, yes he did. We were taught the bible from cover to cover. In fact, the bible was our most important manual.
I could read Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, John, Revelation, and some other books without looking at a thing.

We were all atheist, we also had our atheist bible, but it was only supplementary.
We were told that the bible was where the Christians get their power and that is the only power that can oppose us. We must know what they know to conquer them. Well that is by the way.

I sat before my supervisor and looked directly into his eyes just as we were taught.
‘Kingsley. Do you still love Sandra?’ he said in a low voice.

A strange temperature of blood pulsed through my veins. My heart gave three heavy punches.
I was caught off guard. I had not told one person about Linda, how did they get to know?

‘Who is Sandra?’ I asked after some seconds of pushing down.

‘Your girlfriend in Nigeria’ he said looking into my eyes.

‘I do not have a girl friend. And excuse me sir we are not known for beating around the bush in this place. If you want to tell me anything, go straight to the point’

He looked at me for some time and then handed me a bunch of letters tied together.
‘Of course there is no point beating around the bush, these letters are from Linda’
He threw the letter before me, on the table.

I froze.
I could not understand what he was talking about.
What does he mean by these letters are from Linda?

‘Excuse me sir, I do not understand what you are talking about?’
I said with absolute confusion

‘That is all you need. Go and figure it out. We do not beat around the bush here. We are not loquacious mortals’

‘Yes we are not. But you are not been direct here.’

He smiled.

I kept a confused face

After some seconds he spoke.
‘You see we wanted you to focus and so we kept all of Linda’s letters from reaching you.
We monitored your initial letters as well. Her subsequent reply was capable of killing your morale. We would not want that. You also received about two letters from your friends who wanted to confuse you into Christianity, we did all this for you. We loved you and had dreams for you. You are one of our best students here.’

‘But I did not ask for your help I knew what I wanted and nothing could confuse me. What do you mean by this? You are trampling on my rights…’

‘We helped you, when you read the letters you will understand. Now you are a man you will understand. Besides we have traced Linda and her children so that you could see them again. The only thing we could not do was stop her from falling in love with a man. We did not find that necessary. Besides you are already stale, I mean gay’

‘And do you want me to say thank you?’

‘That is enough you can leave my office now, go away with your bunch of confusion. When you are normal you can come let us have a real talk. Remember the laws, especially the first five…’

Immediately my mind flashed back to our orientation day-
In the speakers voice;

‘These are the laws of this School.

1. Respect all elders and senior colleague.
2. Do not speak in anger to a lecturer
3. You have no right, any thing taken from you is not your right so long it was taken by a lecturer
4. Demons among us do not forgive, so if you want to live long, mind your words…

And so it continued-
Still in a split second my mind flashed back to the causalities we had recorded previously.
We were 250 students that started yet we were only 150 graduating students.
Hundred souls had passed away, ninety percent were results of breaking the law.

There the law was supreme. The school was full of decorum but still fun only if you know how to watch your mouth when talking with elders and demons.

‘I looked at the professor, then to the letter in my hand and then to the door.
I had no choice than to say ‘Thank you’

‘You are welcome’ he said, smiling.
‘There are 30 letters from your lover. Feel free to read them. You can take your leave’

I shook my head and walked out of his office.

Merry xmas guys and pweedies
wishing you joy and sweedies.
updates continue today....
;-)
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by PBeni(m): 3:30pm On Dec 24, 2013
Am so feeling this last update, can't wait for the next one.
Keep up the good work son
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by Gen2jaynee: 3:42pm On Dec 24, 2013
Tnx Love...... Pls keep ur word....... UPDATE CONTINUES TODAY... m patiently waiting oo
Re: What Lurks In The Dark by jayloyexten(m): 11:27pm On Dec 24, 2013
71 A

I was surprised to discover that Linda had not actually forgotten me.
I scurried to my room to read the letters.
The first two were from Salami and Joseph. They were trying to preach to me. It was already too late. I tore the letters immediately.

The letters were arranged according to their arrival.
The first of Linda’s letter I opened was the one she sent immediately after I had sent her some money.

What the hell are you doing in that kind of school, is it desperation? Can you not pull out? If you want our relationship to continue you better find another school. You are already in India you can easily switch universities. Please I beg you!
Little wonder the admission process was so fast.

Listen to me my love, these people are only interested in your soul, how they can turn you into a devil and damn you forever in hell. You may not know what you are doing now until you see the consequences. Take this from me sweetheart, I cannot be the girlfriend of an evil man….

And so she went on speaking from the depths of her heart.
She ended the letter with these words-

Your nearly lost girlfriend.
Linda

After reading the letter, I could understand why the school authorities kept them away from me. Why do they now think that I am able to bear it? I still felt a little bad and remorseful.

I ran through the other letters.
She did not write me for about a month interval. The second letter was apology, the third apology, the fourth apology, down to the fifteenth, half of the letters were just apologies.
Some were short. In one of her letters, she was so sorry.

‘KJ why have you decided to threat me this way. Do not forget that I carry your child. I said I am sorry I am not giving you up for anything. I will accept you just the way you are. Today your baby just kicked. And I am begging you on its behalf; please just reply me.

That was the fifteenth letter.

My eyes became clouded with tears.
The next four letters that made it twenty were all important periods of her pregnancy. She narrated how her baby kicked further and all her hospital appointments.

As I opened the twenty-fourth letter, my face flushed with joy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweetheart, I may assume that you are too busy to reply my letters. But why not just squeeze out some time for me. I am lucky the universities are on strike so I have time for my baby. It is so divine.
Did I say baby, I mean babies. Today I am seven month pregnant, the doctor diagnosed me with twins…

At that moment I dropped the letter quickly to see if she wrote another letter about her delivery

I picked up the twenty-fifth letter.

I shot Sandra a glance, then turned back to the priest.
‘Did you say 12th June 1997?’

‘Yes’

‘That is our birthday dates!’ I screamed

‘No its not’ Sandra interjected. ‘The month and day is correct but the year is wrong.

‘Oh that is true, the year is wrong’

‘Are you both sure?’ the priest asked raising his brows.

‘How could we doubt our date of birth?’

‘I thought you were following the trend’ the priest said as he bowed his head.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Faceless By Amma Darko / Na Man You Be / Ibale{virginity}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.