Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,086 members, 7,818,258 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:20 AM

Yoruba Origin Revisited - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Origin Revisited (15542 Views)

YORUBA ORIGIN CONTROVERSY / Origin And History Of Anambra Towns / Yoruba Origin, History and Canaanland connection. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by macof(m): 10:30am On Dec 09, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Thanks my brother, (the very first time you are nice to me, LOL) grin

I am not the one that speaks, the resources at my disposal will always speak.

I will always align myself with the truth of the Yoruba tradition and be clear and transparent. cheesy

to whom much is given, much is expected.

gringrin now I don't know how to reply to that.

What resources? Revolutionary meaning to words? This is what anybody can do when trying to link a people with another people. You would be surprised how I can link yoruba origin to the British Isles

What will really get people's attention and make even Olorisas applaud is to show how our hebrew language turned into a Niger - Congo language similar to neighboring languages of Igala, Igbo and Edoid languages.
How we lost knowledge of Yahweh and resorted to veneration of 401 Irunmoles
How we lost knowledge of the mosaic law
How we lost knowledge of our Semetic mythology that we wrote in the Tanakh(Bible) and chose to recreate a yoruba one
Why we are so similar to our neighbors in west africa but not Semites of Asia

You don't have enough evidence to even convince yourself that what you are saying is truth. You just love this hebrews so much that you would do anything to identify with them. . I perfectly understand what that is like.. its only just very disgusting. If you want to talk about tradition as you claim, what happened to the many beautiful prospects of the tradition, our knowledge of the universe?. . I like how lawani talked about yoruba ancients knowing that the earth is spherical like the moon..these are traditions people want to know not unproven and obnoxious ancestral connection with the middle-east

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 10:33am On Dec 09, 2015
Where did the Yoruba hear about Abraham Isaac and Jacob from?

from the bible, but this names exist also in Yoruba, just as the English version.

An Ifa precept begins with 'baba Abiriyamu lo bi Abiriyamu'.

Ordinarily, I might start wondering, who is this Abiriyamu?

The verse also gloss about the only person who knows where Abiriyamu's father died.

Could Abiriyamu be identical with Abraham?

(Yes/no),

why?

Yes if Yoruba had contact with Ur of chaldians.

No if Yoruba had no contact with Ur whatsoever.

What does Abiriyamu means?

'Someone born with ease to be taken'. I can't say who this man was in Yoruba, because no tradition of him is available,

but I can understand what his name means. Does the name have any similarity with a tradition somewhere?

I like to know.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by macof(m): 10:52am On Dec 09, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

Whhatt!! shocked.
Is this not the same macof that was on the Hausa/Egypt thread? Shyyte, wonders will never end, I dont know what to say anymore about people in Nairaland.

You came across as a an impressive smart guy who is very conversant with world history and cultures....an expert of some sort. Are you not?

Please go and read about the Priesthood of Aaron and the connection to Irunmole. Like i said in other post, im no expert on these things but im not dumb either...i pick bits and pieces along way. They took esoterism out of Judaism and coined it Qabbalah. My guy, why do you think im telling fulaman and calimari to come to Yoruba if ghey want to relearn their history and culture? In fact, Jews dont have their authetic sprituality anymore, they must study Yoruba as well if they want to reenact the rites of Aaron. True talk my brother. Yoruba spirituality is deep, everybody have lost their divine template template but us.

How is this a response to my post
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
macof:

What resources? Revolutionary meaning to words? This is what anybody can do when trying to link a people with another people. You would be surprised how I can link yoruba origin to the British Isles

What will really get people's attention and make even Olorisas applaud is to show how our hebrew language turned into a Niger - Congo language similar to neighboring languages of Igala, Igbo and Edoid languages.
How we lost knowledge of our Semetic mythology that we wrote in the Tanakh(Bible) and chose to recreate a yoruba one

You don't have enough evidence to even convince yourself that what you are saying is truth. You just love this hebrews so much that you would do anything to identify with them. . I perfectly understand what that is like.. its only just very disgusting. If you want to talk about tradition as you claim, what happened to the many beautiful prospects of the tradition, our knowledge of the universe?. . I like how lawani talked about yoruba ancients knowing that the earth is spherical like the moon..these are traditions people want to know not unproven and obnoxious ancestral connection with the middle-east

You are deflating your pent-up anger, she?

first, tell me the meaning of the word 'Ogidan' before you start the British link.

grin

nobody needs another person's worldview to be happy.

That's for sure.

I believe you don't have to like what I like. Keep being yourself.

your likes will reward you.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by GorkoSusaay: 2:40pm On Dec 09, 2015
PabloAfricanus:

A starting point in historical analysis or research is to establish parallels, similarities or correspondences as accurately as possible.
For that you need native sources. Except if you agree that a stranger who has never been to your village will be best suitable to describe the boundaries on your father's inherited lands...then I will have to ask you to share your knowledge on the following:

My friend, I have done just that. I have just quoted Sultan Bello's historical opinions about the origins of the Yoruba, which I don't consider as the best hypothesis despite its historical value.

Sultan Bello likely never went to Yorubaland (nor met an Ifa or a babalawo..) and only know about the Yorubas from what he and his "relations" gathered from Yoruba travellers and Hausa-Fulani travellers. It is interesting but that's it.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by lawani: 3:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
GorkoSusaay:

My friend, I have done just that. I have just quoted Sultan Bello's historical opinions about the origins of the Yoruba, which I don't consider as the best hypothesis despite its historical value.

Sultan Bello likely never went to Yorubaland (nor met an Ifa or a babalawo..) and only know about the Yorubas from what he and his "relations" gathered from Yoruba travellers and Hausa-Fulani travellers. It is interesting but that's it.

The authentic custodians of our history are the Awo through the Ifa corpus, the palaces and the traditional narrators, each lineage and the oriki. If you pen everything in the custody of the above mentioned, wikipedia can not contain it and they are not lies. The so called myths were passed down by humans who were far more advanced than us. Star trekkers. So you may not understand everything yet, later you will but don't discard any part of it. Sultan Bello's narrative too brings an outside perspective that must have happened by way of some of our long lost brothers coming back home but that is not our origin.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by macof(m): 3:47pm On Dec 09, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

You are deflating your pent-up anger, she?

first, tell me the meaning of the word 'Ogidan' before you start the British link.

grin

nobody needs another person's worldview to be happy.

That's for sure.

I believe you don't have to like what I like. Keep being yourself.

your likes will reward you.

gringrin grin it's more of disgust than anger.

Lol! Is that a rhetorical question? You don't know what ogidan is? But of course, I am not interested in any British/yoruba connection, I only said so cus I can if I wanted to...It's easy to connect one people to another people by picking out words to revolutionize

Ok, so you are saying believing that hebrews are your ancestors makes you happy? It's not about historical truths but "what makes me happy", "what I like". You see where you getting it wrong?

History and a people's origins is not "what makes me happy" or " what I like" but what records say, cultural and linguist features can also be effective

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 6:00pm On Dec 09, 2015
macof:

gringrin grin it's more of disgust than anger.

Lol! Is that a rhetorical question? You don't know what ogidan is? But of course, I am not interested in any British/yoruba connection, I only said so cus I can if I wanted to...It's easy to connect one people to another people by picking out words to revolutionize

Ok, so you are saying believing that hebrews are your ancestors makes you happy? It's not about historical truths but "what makes me happy", "what I like". You see where you getting it wrong?

History and a people's origins is not "what makes me happy" or " what I like" but what records say, cultural and linguist features can also be effective

LOL, I understand it's rhetorics,

I'm just being sarcastic.

Hope the day was good?

kiss
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 8:13pm On Dec 09, 2015

2) If the British had not come to
West Africa and the Islamists had
not come to Kwara/Oyo...how
would the Yorubas have heard
about Abraham?

I really don't know if Abraham is a valuable word to medieval Yoruba, though I get what you mean.

If not through the abrahamic faiths, could the Yoruba have had any idea who Abraham was?

I have a work of Madame Agrippina Souza, a Fon/Yoruba slave and an Iyanifa. She authored an ifa work, titled Dinlogun.

One of the 16 verses of ifa she shared is known as Odu ejilaesebora. This meaning 12 that emanated from ebora.

In the story, there was an ancient couple who were blessed by twin children, the father loved one and the mother loved the other.

This unhealthy rivalry was tearing the family apart and the eldest twin vowed to kill his brother. The mother had to send the other son out of the house to her family.

Now I imagines that this story resembles the story of Jacob and Esau. So I checked what twins were to the Yoruba, lo it is Orissa.

Let's look at the category twins are set to. It is called Oruko Amutorunwa, that is, names with philosophy derived from well source.

So the tradition is to name children born after the twins with names that look like memorial names:

Idowu look like Edom,
Alaba look like Laban.

Then in my childhood, my surname was Sao, it is what Yoruba have as Taye. The Egun called taye sao, they call kehinde zinsu.

Sao look so much like Esau...

Finally, the Yoruba says 'Taye lolu ejire ara Isokun'. Meaning, Taye is the heir of the friendly two from Isokun.

Isokun look so much like Isaac.

Somehow, it is said akeyinde gbegbon, nbabi nbayo. This means that the last of the set of twins supplanted the heirship.

The Egun will quip the kehinde's oriki with 'opo jojo wolu", meaning someone who comes with crowd into the city.

the Ogu usually do what they call 'tu akan na hoho' rite. This sound Yoruba, that is, 'tu okan awon ibeji': etutu, to soften the heart of the twins.

If you have these words, you will see that Bible stories will easily flash through your mind with such resource.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 7:42am On Dec 10, 2015

3. What is the oral or written
history of Jerusalem, Abraham,
Solomon, David and Moses in
Yoruba land before the Islamists
or whites arrived?

There is a place called alede orun in Yoruba, alede orun means the land of the heavenly tongue.

I believebelieve this is what is reduced to orun (heven) which traditions claims Yoruba came from.

As long as there is alede orun, then a version exist in our language to connect Yoruba to other earthlings if needs call for it.

As to Jesus, Solomon and David, it is crystal clear that Daodu, which is akin to Dawood exists in Yoruba parlance as the Head of the family.

I don't know how come.

As for Solomon, the closest name to it in Yoruba is Sola, meaning 'made wealthy'.

I understand that the closest true pronunciation will be Sulaimon or Shlomon. I don't think Yoruba language is ready for acrobatics.

It may interest you to know that Ota, an ancient Awori kingdom alluded to Osolo as the first king of the enclave at the period of migration.

It may be the reigning monarch when the makers of Ota migrated. A Yoruba folk song says:

ni 'Solo ni won bimi si o
baba wa pelu won lo nile.

I was born at Isolo,
Our father and others own the land.

Isolo also translate to crushing speech or proclamations, someone addressing great audience. Osolo is high chief in most Yoruba kingdom.

Moses is Musa, the closest to this name in Yoruba is Osa, meaning 'lagoon' or 'runaway'.

Meanwhile, there is an icon, Olokun whose name means 'having to do with the sea' He is venerated as 'Olokun seni Ade, Ajifiluki, omoba labulabu, biigba epo.'

'Omoba labulabu' means 'prince parting the sea". La 'bu simply means divide the sea.

The Ipetu Ijesha venerated Olokun as their patron. They have a song to this effect:

Awa lon Judi nigba Olokun,
Awa lonje abori jagajigi,
Awa lon dani tale eni nkoni.

Elegbe wa mai lo o,
Aya gbogbo nso kulekule.

we are the dancers in the days of Olokun,
we are the so called ruthless conquerors,
we are the ones winning, causing concubines to leave.
None of our squad should leave
All hearts are trembling.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 10:19am On Dec 10, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

I really don't know if Abraham is a valuable word to medieval Yoruba, though I get what you mean.

If not through the abrahamic faiths, could the Yoruba have had any idea who Abraham was?

I have a work of Madame Agrippina Souza, a Fon/Yoruba slave and an Iyanifa. She authored an ifa work, titled Dinlogun.

One of the 16 verses of ifa she shared is known as Odu ejilaesebora. This meaning 12 that emanated from ebora.

In the story, there was an ancient couple who were blessed by twin children, the father loved one and the mother loved the other.

This unhealthy rivalry was tearing the family apart and the eldest twin vowed to kill his brother. The mother had to send the other son out of the house to her family.

Now I imagines that this story resembles the story of Jacob and Esau. So I checked what twins were to the Yoruba, lo it is Orissa.

Let's look at the category twins are set to. It is called Oruko Amutorunwa, that is, names with philosophy derived from well source.

So the tradition is to name children born after the twins with names that look like memorial names:

Idowu look like Edom,
Alaba look like Laban.

Then in my childhood, my surname was Sao, it is what Yoruba have as Taye. The Egun called taye sao, they call kehinde zinsu.

Finally, the Yoruba says 'Taye lolu ejire ara Isokun'. Meaning, Taye is the heir of the friendly two from Isokun.

Somehow, it is said akeyinde gbegbon, nbabi nbayo. This means that the last of the set of twins supplanted the heirship.

The Egun will quip the kehinde's oriki with 'opo jojo wolu", meaning someone who comes with crowd into the city.

the Ogu usually do what they call 'tu akan na hoho' rite. This sound Yoruba, that is, 'tu okan awon ibeji': etutu, to soften the heart of the twins.

If you have these words, you will see that Bible stories will easily flash through your mind with such resource.

This has to be prexios, yes?
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 11:45am On Dec 10, 2015
macof:

absoluteSuccess:

Idowu look like Edom,
Alaba look like Laban.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob%27s_Ladder
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 11:46am On Dec 10, 2015
http://medwelljournals.com/abstract/?doi=pjssci.2007.548.552

Look to left under Related Links and download pdf version
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by lawani: 11:56am On Dec 10, 2015
Abraham might not have been the original name of the man who exiled himself from Sumeria around 5 thousand years ago. I have a feeling it may be from the Hindu, Brahmin, the highest Hindu caste. It is said to mean father of many nations by Jews. Then Abraham originated from Sumeria, he spoke an extinct language which some people say is the ancestor of Tamil spoken in India. It was considered a language isolate because it is not in any way related to the Semitic languages, though it was still known in Southern Arabia in the 1st century but totally extinct today. By culture we may be what our ancestors were but language changes, nations adopt new languages while abandoning the old altogether. So to trace the origin of Abraham's name, trace the man's origin. I believe Sumeria and an ancient Ife were sister nations and the two were birthed by the first Ife.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 2:20pm On Dec 10, 2015
MetaPhysical:

This has to be prexios, yes?

Unbelievable,

Ase ojo niipe,

ipade kii jina.

Gbogbo ile nko o?

I miss you so bad.

Your light shines.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 9:26am On Dec 11, 2015
lawani:
Abraham might not have been the original name of the man who exiled himself from Sumeria around 5 thousand years ago. I have a feeling it may be from the Hindu, Brahmin, the highest Hindu caste. It is said to mean father of many nations by Jews. Then Abraham originated from Sumeria, he spoke an extinct language which some people say is the ancestor of Tamil spoken in India. It was considered a language isolate because it is not in any way related to the Semitic languages, though it was still known in Southern Arabia in the 1st century but totally extinct today. By culture we may be what our ancestors were but language changes, nations adopt new languages while abandoning the old altogether. So to trace the origin of Abraham's name, trace the man's origin. I believe Sumeria and an ancient Ife were sister nations and the two were birthed by the first Ife.

We need not be confused about Abraham's name, all we need is an idea and this can be verified in the traditions of the people in question and not from sanskrit or Vishnu.

Assuming we don't know what to believe and little survived on the identity of the name or the idea, what is the very idea to start with?

Abraham
Ebora
Ebira

Ebora is the closest word of antiquity that the Yoruba have, could it be possible that it is ancient Yoruba version of the word Abraham?

The answer would be to find a missing link. So what does Ebora means? Already, I've been labeled revolutionary interpreter.

It's better the word speaks than for me to speak from my feelings, hence I get used to the words. The words are of purity and truth. Feelings can't be trusted.

Granted, Ebora is made of two syllables: ebo/ra. Ebo means sacrifice, while ra means disappear. Together, Ebora means sacrifice disappeared.

Can this be a name of a person? It depends on the culture, but it can be an anchor name in Yoruba.

So, justapoze this to the Abraham name or anchor stories:: the book recounts two incidents of sacrifice, on one occasion, his sacrifice vanished when the fire consume it.

Genesis 15.

Conpare Abraham's sacrifice to Yoruba sacrifice and tell me any difference. More like it, when someone dies in Yoruba, a traditional inclined person may say 'o ti deni ebora' that is, the person has become 'ebora's person' so to speak.

Is this an archaic way of saying 'Abraham's bossom'?

Maybe the idea was not strange to the audience of Jesus when he alluded to this on Lazarus and the rich man. Maybe it used to be an area code.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by OPCNAIRALAND: 10:45am On Dec 11, 2015
Hey,
Mr Metaphysical, did you get my email? grin gladto see you. Remember that paper you asked me if i know Arabic? Please post it here for these people to see. Will you please? Ive really been telling them what you said about that forum where they talked about Ubbad. We need that info here buddy.
Good to see you.

Hey macof, here is the dude. Ask him, if you dont believe me im sure you will believe experts on these talks about Yoruba and Egypt.
Good luck.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by macof(m): 1:57am On Dec 13, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:
Hey,
Mr Metaphysical, did you get my email? grin gladto see you. Remember that paper you asked me if i know Arabic? Please post it here for these people to see. Will you please? Ive really been telling them what you said about that forum where they talked about Ubbad. We need that info here buddy.
Good to see you.

Hey macof, here is the dude. Ask him, if you dont believe me im sure you will believe experts on these talks about Yoruba and Egypt.
Good luck.

Well, being yoruba and having learned much about the ancient Egyptians I can say I've realized a few cultural similarities but nothing strong enough to suggest an Egyptian origin for yorubas. .
if Anything, due to the timeline (most of these similarities occur in pre-dynastic Upper egypt)
I'll say Yoruba culture birthed the Egyptians. ...but of course, experts point to modern Eritrea as the origin of the Egyptians. So you would have to do a lot to prove that Yoruba had a part in the Egyptian Civilization
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 2:07am On Dec 13, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Unbelievable,

Ase ojo niipe,

ipade kii jina.

Gbogbo ile nko o?

I miss you so bad.

Your light shines.

I miss you too. Glad to see you. I see you are still trudging on. grin
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by lawani: 9:39am On Dec 13, 2015
macof:

Well, being yoruba and having learned much about the ancient Egyptians I can say I've realized a few cultural similarities but nothing strong enough to suggest an Egyptian origin for yorubas. .
if Anything, due to the timeline (most of these similarities occur in pre-dynastic Upper egypt)
I'll say Yoruba culture birthed the Egyptians. ...but of course, experts point to modern Eritrea as the origin of the Egyptians. So you would have to do a lot to prove that Yoruba had a part in the Egyptian Civilization

Going by calendars, the present Ife calendar predates Egypt by around 5 thousand years but it appears many ancient Egyptians relocated to Southern Nigeria because Yoruboid tongues share like 50 percent of their vocabulary with Kemitic Egypt of 5 thousand years ago which technically means it was thesame language since language normally changes with time accounting for the change over 5000 years.

As examples, modern Yoruba words like suegbe-fool, ekun-strong man, lareja-knowledge, mo-know, odun-festival and thousands of others were used in thesame way in Kemitic Egypt. You can research on google and elsewhere for more examples. Presently I do not know whether to say those words or our present language came from Egypt or that we were speaking thesame language from the onset but the Awo agree that we used to have another language, maybe the Akokoid languages. As another example, the British are over 70 percent Celtic by genetic composition but they speak a Germanic language originating from Germany. Their genetic makeup shows that at a point newly arrived ethnic Germans settled on the British isles to make the place 30 percent Germanic by population and for one reason or the other, the whole population adopted their language which has now become English. The remaining Celtic languages are totally different from English. Something similar may have happened in Yoruba land.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 9:48am On Dec 13, 2015

4) What was the oral or
documented history of Egypt,
Canaan, Jericho, Samaria and
Libya in Yoruba land before the
Islamists or whites arrived?

Before the Islamists, the Yoruba have their folklore. A good one that depicted Canaan is the tradition of the Awori people, said to have come from Iseri.

Iseri is akin to Israel. So the correlation came from wonderland again? no, there are other connections to look at.

The Ohori, a branch of Yoruba preferred Jaka. The term is the ealiest identity of these people. Both Iseri and Jaka derived from Israel and Jacob.

Why, how?

The ohori alludes to weme, meaning people of the book. So the ancestral praisepoem goes thus:

brb.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by absoluteSuccess: 11:59am On Dec 13, 2015
MetaPhysical:

I miss you too. Glad to see you. I see you are still trudging on. grin
You are a part of my virtual family, not seeing or hearing from you affects me.
But I'm always sure you are strong, and will be back some sweet days for sure.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 8:16am On Dec 22, 2015
2prexios:

It is not the sun that rule the night, blessed soul, it is the moon that rule the night.

The Yoruba have the one that has to do with the sun that rule the day. But that version got corrupt along the way:
Sonpono Elenpe nana Ajobo. Thats Obaluaye, that is, Oba- Olu-aye. The Yoruba has vilified this with Olode, tita, Igbona.

They were only trying to spot that term "Yoruba" with the lighthouse. They were mariners of old.

I still enjoy my cognomen as a descendant of the great Ohori people,
from my paternal grandma. She's from Ketu. So grandma says my oriki thus:

Jaka ara weme,
Omoba tente lori omi.

Jaka's brethren, people of the book.
The prince that float on the edge of the sea.

Then, our folksong goes thus:

Oyinbon fun gala o,
omo alaketu, ketu kenafe.
By the way, Ohori is a Yoruba word: Oho ri

The discovery of the people who fled.
Ho is the same as Sa, to flee from home.

Happy nu year.

This suffice for ketu traditional stuff that I promised before my absolute success handle was banned by a mud.

I'm particular about the cognomen, Jaka, which is Yoruba variant for Jacob.

Let's see how various tradition is entangled to this connection between the people of the bight of Benin.

The version existing in mainstream Yoruba as jaka is to be found in the name Oyo Ajaka.

Elsewhere, Jaka is also to be found in Dahomey as ancestral name, Agbomey, (abomey), means 'people of the seeker'.

They have a very accurate tale, but I won't delve into that anyway, but only how traditions connects.

Just like their ketu counterpart, the Agunmenu, a branch of the greater Tori people (agunmenu, egun) equally alludes to Jaca.

'Ahoru Jaca' they called him. He is the progenitor of the 'wae nu'. Wae means 'people of the grey hair couple.' Ahoru means king.

Owa, means grey hair. And the people take great pride in calling themselves 'Ahoru Jaka ni vigevu e', meaning children of king jaca.

Just as you have it in ketu, where a passage alludes to 'Jaka ara weme', meaning people of the book, omoba tente Lori omi, the prince floating on the surface of the sea.

Ohori is a variant of tori. Tori means upon the sea, or probably Yoruba word meaning itori, river tracking, seafaring.

Ohori could mean discovered after the retreat, or ultimately from owori, wandering discovery.

There are worthwhile linguistic resources pointing to various etymology.

Wemeh dangbo

A place is called 'wemeh' in Dahomey, they call it wemeh-dangbo. this actually meaning 'people of the book, great wanderers'.

Dangbo can also be said to mean great serpent, Dan is the word for serpent among the egun people, and it is the totem of Dan, a Bible character.

'Dan shall be a serpent by the way, a viper by the path...'Gen. 49. This was perhaps how oriki began. Was this how Dan became serpent?

Waenu are part of the family that venerated Dan, whom they called 'baba', meaning 'father' in Yoruba.

Let's find a stunner in the line of chanter they recites when they are in festive mood to the totem of their ancestors.

Ato!
Asue!
Apakrioko!
Wenjivigbo!

Egbo flinflin gbo giglo,
Yanbio meh wema ton,
Atoponji maduje,
o babao, o le se.

the meticulous,
the husbands,
wandering killers in the wilderness.
who sire, the great.

he sire the small and sire the grown,
pursued into the people of the book.
atoponji will not eat salt,
O father, he can do it.

Twice now we have come about rhyming terms, jaka, Jaca, of two African people who speak different languages, egun, anago.

Another is people of the book. The people venerating Dan said they were 'pursued into people of the book'.

The ohori says they were of the people of the book, and the weme, (the actual people of the book here by name) said they were a great wanderers.

However, the stunner is, the term 'wemeh' is paraphrased in Wae's chants to the totem of their ancestry,

'meh wema ton' meaning 'people of the book' (meh, people; wema, book; ton, of the). This people never know their traditions align, but I know because I'm mixed.

Try Google 'people of the book' yourselves.

We did have a cutting edge tradition, a resounding history, though chequered, but stunning.

We are not Lab rats, whose history must be determined by foreign forensic-designs from unknown donors,

Let the ruling house look up to God,
Let the slaves look up to their masters.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 9:16am On Dec 22, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

You are a part of my virtual family, not seeing or hearing from you affects me.

But I'm always sure you are strong, and will be back some sweet days for sure.

I can understand. I will try to be regular and show stronger presence.

Aku ipa le mo odun o!
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 9:24am On Dec 22, 2015
MetaPhysical:

I can understand. I will try to be regular and show stronger presence.
Aku ipa le mo odun o!
awa niyen o baba, odun ayo lamaa se o.
Welcome my brother. All my best wishes.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 9:31am On Dec 22, 2015
2prexios:

This suffice for ketu traditional stuff that I promised before my absolute success handle was banned by a mud.

I'm particular about the cognomen, Jaka, which is Yoruba variant for Jacob.

Let's see how various tradition is entangled to this connection between the people of the bight of Benin.

The version existing in mainstream Yoruba as jaka is to be found in the name Oyo Ajaka.

Elsewhere, Jaka is also to be found in Dahomey as ancestral name, Agbomey, (abomey), means 'people of the seeker'.

They have a very accurate tale, but I won't delve into that anyway, but only how traditions connects.

Just like their ketu counterpart, the Agunmenu, a branch of the greater Tori people (agunmenu, egun) equally alludes to Jaca.

'Ahoru Jaca' they called him. He is the progenitor of the 'wae nu'. Wae means 'people of the grey hair couple.' Ahoru means king.

Owa, means grey hair. And the people take great pride in calling themselves 'Ahoru Jaka ni vigevu e', meaning children of king jaca.

Just as you have it in ketu, where a passage alludes to 'Jaka ara weme', meaning people of the book, omoba tente Lori omi, the prince floating on the surface of the sea.

Ohori is a variant of tori. Tori means upon the sea, or probably Yoruba word meaning itori, river tracking, seafaring.

Ohori could mean discovered after the retreat, or ultimately from owori, wandering discovery.

There are worthwhile linguistic resources pointing to various etymology.

Wemeh dangbo

A place is called 'wemeh' in Dahomey, they call it wemeh-dangbo. this actually meaning 'people of the book, great wanderers'.

Dangbo can also be said to mean great serpent, Dan is the word for serpent among the egun people, and it is the totem of Dan, a Bible character.

'Dan shall be a serpent by the way, a viper by the path...'Gen. 49. This was perhaps how oriki began. Was this how Dan became serpent?

Waenu are part of the family that venerated Dan, whom they called 'baba', meaning 'father' in Yoruba.

Let's find a stunner in the line of chanter they recites when they are in festive mood to the totem of their ancestors.

Ato!
Asue!
Apakrioko!
Wenjivigbo!

Egbo flinflin gbo giglo,
Yanbio meh wema ton,
Atoponji maduje,
o babao, o le se.

the meticulous,
the husbands,
wandering killers in the wilderness.
who sire, the great.

he sire the small and sire the grown,
pursued into the people of the book.
atoponji will not eat salt,
O father, he can do it.

Twice now we have come about rhyming terms, jaka, Jaca, of two African people who speak different languages, egun, anago.

Another is people of the book. The people venerating Dan said they were 'pursued into people of the book'.

The ohori says they were of the people of the book, and the weme, (the actual people of the book here by name) said they were a great wanderers.

However, the stunner is, the term 'wemeh' is paraphrased in Wae's chants to the totem of their ancestry,

'meh wema ton' meaning 'people of the book' (meh, people; wema, book; ton, of the). This people never know their traditions align, but I know because I'm mixed.

Try Google 'people of the book' yourselves.

We did have a cutting edge tradition, a resounding history, though chequered, but stunning.

We are not Lab rats, whose history must be determined by foreign forensic-designs from unknown donors,

Let the ruling house look up to God,
Let the slaves look up to their masters.

I love this. wink

God bless and continue to enlighten you prexios!
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 10:20am On Dec 22, 2015
MetaPhysical:

I love this. wink

God bless and continue to enlighten you prexios!

Oh my, cheesy

thanks and amen.

I know we all have our angles, and that's democratic.

You don't really, really like the Hebrew angle of the Yoruba traditions o.

But I will be glad if you give it a thought. You are a leader.

Please do.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by MetaPhysical: 3:42am On Dec 24, 2015
2prexios:

Oh my, cheesy

thanks and amen.

I know we all have our angles, and that's democratic.

You don't really, really like the Hebrew angle of the Yoruba traditions o.

But I will be glad if you give it a thought. You are a leader.

Please do.

There is a fiber of thread that links Yoruba and ancient Hebrew together. I subscribe to the Samuel Johnson narration of Yoruba migration (which was echoed in Muhammadu Bello's Tarikhi).

Ancient Hebrew, not the modern!
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 6:39am On Dec 24, 2015
MetaPhysical:

There is a fiber of thread that links Yoruba and ancient Hebrew together. I subscribe to the Samuel Johnson narration of Yoruba migration (which was echoed in Muhammadu Bello's Tarikhi).

Ancient Hebrew, not the modern!

Very well, I'm not a fan of Ben Gurion or Nethanyahu, though they are good people building what remained of what they called home.

I'm not a fan of modern Israel either, but I wish her people well just as I wish other people of the world.

I think we think alike on the migration.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 4:37pm On Dec 27, 2015

Mind you, all known cultures who
had any dealing with Middle
Eastern peoples have written or
oral verifiable histories...complete
with dates, historical personalities
and factual events as others
remembered them. The Ethiopians
still had the Book of Enoch
complete with them even when a
single copy could not be found
among the so called Jews of
Europe. The ruins of Axum are
enough evidence to link her
ancient inhabitants to Egypt. Why
do conquered and colonized
Africans who were literally told the
story of Mohammed, Jesus Christ
and Abraham...want to invent
histories around peoples they
never knew or heard about?

Look at where you started from, and look at where you end it. You related well with the land of punt because of material things and records chiseled into public consciousness in books.

You have good disposition to tangible record, but do you have any idea how to evaluate an intangible record? Do you have any idea how to harness oral tradition?

Do you have any pristine oral tradition at your disposal? Do you value what it is or similar linguistic items wherever?

Now you gave us a good glossary of libya and Ethiopia, but you slide to a default when you come to African history as 'conquered and colonized African people'.

Look, this default is where you are stuck to, because you can not push back behind this default line. If not, you would have been telling a story of Yoruba antiquity at that point.

Now, I have been reciting my lineage traditional account from childhood. You are only familiar with 'conquered and colonized African people',

is this more important knowledge in your custody, because that's all you have as African history. Good, but I am familiar with stories of Yoruba antiquity in my lineage.

I am not Afrocentric, don't label me, I have a traditional account that 'backtracts' behind the experience you have as default, I may see what you can't see.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 5:34pm On Dec 27, 2015
PabloAfricanus:

You know it really bites when you see a full grown black man realize his stark impotence and apparent lack of historical significance in the midst of the Whites. Being powerless in the face of a stronger neighbour or foe is not a bad thing per se...except if you do nothing about it.
It becomes bad when to make up for his feeling of impotence or low self worth...one starts inventing grandiose histories to make oneself feel good. African posterity will be confronted with the realities of today's African men who have refused to build a world class legacy for them.

Afrocentrists can postulate,extrapolate,attach,glorify and massage as much African history as they feel like...the reality is that the African continent has been owned...literally
We need to come to terms clearly with that reality. No need to sugar coat it or white wash it. IMO, it is only then we Africans can get a clear bearing on where we are coming from...before we can even begin to talk of moving forward.

Right now, our so called elders and "leaders" have refused to confront their cowardice in the face of Western Imperialism.
Our surviving native traditional practitioners are still holding their "secrets and mysteries" to their chests.
Imagine what the world would have lost if Africans discovered electricity and telephony? cry
Our "leaders of thought" are so cool with the damage done to the African psyche by imported religions...that they till today still budget millions for "pilgrimages" to Meccas and Jerusalems of the Arabs and Jews.
Sharing of knowledge is still a strange concept to most Africans...some will deny it...but tell me how many public libraries are filled with self published books by local authorities and how well African history is being taught in our schools.

Having said all that, I think those guys above are just projecting their inherited sense of low self worth. Claiming histories and historical personalities whom even your fathers cannot produce the native form of their names in local dialects...is plain silly.
Rather than document first of all whatever history we have as Africans, they rely mostly on Western sources for events that happened in their backyard!
To the best of my knowledge, none of the artifacts, writings, social structures, warfare methods of the Middle East is replicated anywhere in contemporary or ancient sub Saharan Africa...and yet some folks actually think its cool to disregard lack of historical evidence and transliterate Lamurudu to Nimrod abi na Imran
Yeye angry

I'm not sure the op is out to solve African problem on this thread,

the more you whine the more the solutions elude you, you need to

do, be, have.

not

have, be, do.

Do stuffs that gives you technological incentives, don't wait to have everything to start.

Be inclined in little enterprise that solve problems around you, don't wait till you be come a special man.

Have a good experience that can be invested upon at the passage of time. No, dont need to have money or position for transformation.

Nigerian youth feel great finding scapegoats responsible for this and that problems. Is the thread already leading tourists to Israel?

At 20, I told myself that I will never rely on any person or institution to become a success. I believe in inventiveness, I believe in personal efforts.

I stayed true to my resolve, and the last time I took salary was 15 years ago. Can you bring your ideas to life?

I believe the little I do justify my quota in the task. I don't have to complain anything, it's my life, not someone's.

People keep looking to the leader somewhere for answers. Will they teach you what you must invent to solve a problem?

keep waiting and keep rotting. People who complain can do nothing but find the most unbeatable complaints, and that apply to bullies.

this thread is not yeye, at worst, it points to brotherhood of man. Nowhere has it been said 'be stu.pid' so, don't be silly.

Scholastic topics are meant to exercise the brain probably to know how much of the tale of old elude us.

Use your intellectual abilities and enrich your world. History and culture is not an answer for political dissatisfaction.
Re: Yoruba Origin Revisited by 2prexios: 9:23pm On Dec 27, 2015

pabloafricanus

Kai, the black man really has
been eaten up with inferiority
complex!

And macof I've followed your
posts for a while now...no
word of reprimand for these
low self esteem guys?

I don't think your head is working fine, sorry to say. The reason is, can't you share the crust of your unhappiness without calling for help?

Aren't you thoughtful? Are you anyway conjoined to macof like a siamese? You are looking for supporters club abi?

You have low intelligence hence you must lean on bully like that to make a point. Those calling him are below him, they fear him because of his ways.

You will always look up to him to reprimand nairaland, for you to be happy and thats good for you. Hurray.

I don't chase people who are below me in wit, such as the subtle macof. I give them assignment.

You want to know why Africa lag behind and struggles as a continent? Many folks says 'shut up, who are you' to the unfolding knowledge of one another for very many silly reasons.

At this junction man, don't bring your complex issues to my thread, stop being halfwit, tell the world your side of the story.

pity is for a given, but jealousy you have to earn. Take a cue from your masters, don't shut down a school of thought for an agnostic pride. Let people think.

Their thinking does not rob you of your pride, if it enlighten their spirit. Except yours is a pride of darkness that should not be seen in the light.

Present your worldview as if it will become a branch of knowledge in time to come, enrich your blank soul in others knowledge that elude you.

Stop fighting knowledge with empty pride. Present your knowledge free of silly 'comrademanship'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar Tells Security Agencies To Arrest Any Hate-Preacher / Why Do White People Only Know Yoruba Music? / Ladoja Faults The Position Of Some Ibadan Chiefs On Olubadan Stool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.