Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38418 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 11:02pm On Jun 29, 2013
maninmood:

Lol I used to pronounce google as goggle. Changed that after being laughed at, in class.
bros, you are not the only. We plenty like that for this thread...almost all of us...I dare anyone to disagree angry Even me don pronounce Chewing gum as chin gum (and one yeye Chinese correct me. I swear i for woose the guy slap that day if nor be for say 911 dey very easy to dial for their phone).

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by queenbinteo: 11:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
Christmasdon: .. Yes! I think a pan nigerian accent is any one who is much educated. Like 10 o clock radio network news u see an hausa, igbo, yoruba man/woman presenting news. You hardly hear their accents. Check it out and see.
So what happened to their igbotic/yoruba/hausa accent?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Christmasdon(m): 11:04pm On Jun 29, 2013
Nigerialand No Nairaland is becoming interesting. Yes! This radio people speaking oyibo like Hot99.5 fm visionAFRICA ETC.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by somegirl1: 11:05pm On Jun 29, 2013
delors: Bottom line is, a good number of Nigerians abroad speak better English than these guys but we have a very serious accent that hinders free flow of communication. Even Indians find it hard to understand us. they speak more clearly and pronounce better than we do.

In which country !!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 11:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
Diasporan:
Please can i get a clarification on why Americans make use of Antai instead Anti?My 18 years old cousin laughed at me in public when i said /G^gl/ instead of /Gu:gl/(Google).He was lucky the father was nearby.

Americans tend to use "antai" as opposed to "anti" in talking. Most would say anti-American as "antai-american" and not "anti-American". Personally, when I'm talking within native speakers I use "antai-American" and when in Nigeria or amongst non-American speakers, I use both, like saying "antai-american" first, but realizing I'm not in America, I quickly say... or "anti-american", to make sure my audience irrespective of American or foreigner gets my point.

For the "google" pronunciation, yes some Nigerians pronounce it as " [gog-uhl] as in "God" that is big spectacles or glasses; probably what you said, which is incorrect. The correct pronunciation is.... [goo-guhl] as in "good"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Christmasdon(m): 11:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
..another issue and dust raised. Is it pronounced gawgle or guugu (Google)
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 29, 2013
As some people have said there is a difference between faking an accent and learning to modify your accent. After spending just over a year in Canada, I can tell you that my accent is beginning to change and I cant help it because first off, the Nigerian accent sounds ridiculous and second I hate to repeat myself whenever I am talking and that is what that happens whenever I talk in my Nigerian accent because I don't just have a Nigerian accent but I have a very thick one(especially before). I will like to round up by saying if you are a Nigerian that is at home and one that is not planning on going to Canada, America, or UK very soon, I advise you to be proud of your accent and I also advise you to speak with it because the people in the US for example don't speak with a Nigerian accent, biko.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 29, 2013
Christmasdon: ..another issue and dust raised. Is it pronounced gawgle or guugu (Google)
YA THAT IS TRUE. The America is gawgle(or guwgle) while the British is guugu.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jun 29, 2013
delors:
bros, you are not the only. We plenty like that for this thread...almost all of us...I dare anyone to disagree angry Even me don pronounce Chewing gum as chin gum (and one yeye Chinese correct me. I swear i for woose the guy slap that day if nor be for say 911 dey very easy to dial for their phone).
ODE!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by godsony: 11:16pm On Jun 29, 2013
Truckpusher: Even Americans too has accent ....when somebody subtitutes water for warer grin what was that undecided

Speaking english is not a sign of intelligence! Simply speak your
Mother's tongue, or blow pigin! Afterall American slang na their
Pigin! If they say WARER U say WATA
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by maninmood(m): 11:17pm On Jun 29, 2013
babe_online:
YA THAT IS TRUE. The America is gawgle(or guwgle) while the British is guugu.

Another one again? What is guwgle? Can you just let me stick to guugu for now, please? Or do you want those arrogant briticos laugh at me again? shocked
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 11:17pm On Jun 29, 2013
Canadians might speak like Americans but they write like British. That's a hell of a country.....double confusionsmiley They still write "color" as "colour", "labor" as "labour" e.t.c., but pronounce them as Americans do.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 11:18pm On Jun 29, 2013
maninmood:

Another one again? What is guwgle? Can you just let me stick to guugu for now, please? Or do you want those arrogant briticos laugh at me again? shocked

I figured the confusion in her sounds. Follow my. Easiest way is to say "google" is say it as you would say "good".... I'm talking about the sound here not the whole word. And say "goggle" big spectacles or glasses as you would say "God"

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
maninmood:

lol, not my fault...listen to both the British and American pronunciation.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/google
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 29, 2013
drake2005: Canadians might speak like Americans but they write like British. That's a hell of a country.....double confusionsmiley They still write "color" as "colour", "labor" as "labour" e.t.c., but pronounce them as Americans do.
lol they are confused indeed. They speak like Americans and write like the Britons.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 11:31pm On Jun 29, 2013
some-girl:

In which country !!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Oh! Are u surprised or angry? Or surprisingly angry? well, in North America, ask around.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 11:32pm On Jun 29, 2013
drake2005: Canadians might speak like Americans but they write like British. That's a hell of a country.....double confusionsmiley They still write "color" as "colour", "labor" as "labour" e.t.c., but pronounce them as Americans do.
Yeah. Follow follow country. Follow to the point of confusion. lol
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by obainojazz(m): 11:34pm On Jun 29, 2013
Christmasdon: ..another issue and dust raised. Is it pronounced gawgle or guugu (Google)
.....*quickly searches gawgle abi guugu to know if this guy's brain is filled with pap
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 11:35pm On Jun 29, 2013
babe_online:
ODE!
Winnipeg babe nwanne? Which one come be ode now?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 29, 2013
delors:
Winnipeg babe nwanne? Which one come be ode now?
Toronto guy thats the truth nau cheesy tongue
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by chinosxl(m): 11:54pm On Jun 29, 2013
apache77: I always hear people say Nigerians who travel abroad always come back with a fake accent, even if its only one month they spend in London or America. Is this true? Do Nigerians try to speak like foreigners?

What i think is that the biggest problem you face the minute you step into obodo oyinbo apart from the cold is your accent. Our accent is so thick foreigners cant make out head or tail what we are trying to say. So from immigration right to your next door neigbour, you struggle to communicate- nobody hears's your type of English. Our slow drawl is a big problem, not just to Americans or british but even to arabs and asians.

The quickest way to be heard is trying to speak like these people (americans or Brits) who cant hear you. Asians and arabs ahve grown up watching american movies and mingling with the Brits, so their ( Brits or American) type of accent is hearable and hence universal-much like the dollar is the globally accepted currency everywhere. So for you to be heard, you a naija boy or girl just stepping into America must speak like them.

Over time, if you stay there long enough, you start speaking like these people and substitute your Naija accent for theirs. Some people manage to retain their naiaja accent and use that when home only to switch to their americana accent when they go back.

Do you agree with me? or there is a more profound reason? Share your thoughts

you are very correct, i don adjust accent tire for this Americans lol. Its sad when you see a fellow Naija in U.S and try to start a conversation with normal accent or even broken and they reply with their "fake" accent or try to use you to practice up on their "fake" accent. And like you said, i see this mostly from the ones thats only been here a few months or less than a yr, maybe 2yrs.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Mogidi: 11:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
delors:
American accent is about the most recognized in the world. Ever wondered why so many British actors learn American diction before becoming professionals?

What you're saying doesn't make sense. Are you really saying to be a professional actor in UK you need to learn American diction. I thought Uk was the home of Arts, theatres, shakespeare etc. I can understand them learning American diction if they want to work in the US but learning it to become professionals is new to me.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by heo88(m): 12:09am On Jun 30, 2013
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site....

Looool this is funny and seems to happen when I speak to people in my london accent in naij.

How about British or american nigerians who try to speak pidgin? are they fake?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by levos2007(m): 12:09am On Jun 30, 2013
its annoying! it can even help in getting a job

A_K_O:

TheBeat FM doesn't seem to get this. They have a penchant for OAP's that sound a certain way. One or two people with an accent is okay but when much of your line-up sounds a certain way, it's clear there is an editorial policy that says foreign-sounding = better. It's a revolting, post-colonial policy.

That (rant) being said, living abroad can change the way you speak, and then people misjudge it as a fake accent. It must be frustrating to speak in your Naija accent and have to always repeat yourself because people don't understand.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Vansnickers: 12:17am On Jun 30, 2013
Lilimax: I detest fake accents. I only speak their accent(American) when I'm in their midst but always speak my Nigerian English(especially pidgin)when I'm in the midst of my Nigerian friends. There is no need of faking it... smiley

You're still being fake. I speak to everyone with the same accent and everyone understands me. Benefits of proper diction.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 12:18am On Jun 30, 2013
Compare and contrast. Where do you belong?

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM4CTZ9yFkQ[/flash]

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn_lPs_rzY[/flash]
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by levos2007(m): 12:23am On Jun 30, 2013
Who cares, once u can communicate with people without asking u to repeat your self.its only my wife and friends that i mingle with evereyday that understands my Nigeria accent(that doesnt mean i not proud to be a Nigerian) without asking me to repeat my self.... so fucking annoying, "can u come again pls"

braveheart2012: This particular issue annoys the heck out of me. Why do Nigerians assume every Nigerian with a British or US accent is faking it? It's just bloody ignorance. I don't doubt that some Nigerians acquire fake "accents" after a two-week vacation abroad. However, many Nigerians that school, work and live abroad acquire new speech patterns after a few years.

I was born and raised in Nigeria (and I speak perfect, fluent Yoruba) but I have been abroad for more than a decade. These days I have to fake it to sound "Nigerian" when I am speaking English with my Nigerian friends. Unfortunately, I don't hang out with Nigerians often (and I rarely watch or listen to Nigerian media); when I am not with Nigerians (i.e. about 95% of the time), I use my normal Americanized accent. My normal speech patterns have changed so much that I now switch to Yoruba when talking on the phone with my parents or family back home just to avoid coming across as fake/arrogant. My American accent isn't fake, it's just how my speech patterns have evolved after spending more than a decade abroad. All my 100% Naija friends that have been in the US for as long as I have also speak the same way. If you move abroad before the age of 25, your accent will change dramatically after a few years of intense interactions with your host culture. There is nothing fake about that.

PS - It's truly ironic that most Americans don't think I have an American accent at all but Nigerians and other non-Americans think my accent is American. My accent is a mix of British + Nigerian + American. I don't care if it's a mixture of 10 accents... as long as can communicate clearly and effectively.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by amanikondo: 12:43am On Jun 30, 2013
I fined tune my english to keep my job.
I used to say Google (Naija Accent) and my Boss did not understand until I write it down and he said ohhhh Guuuuugle.

I speak clearly now and everyone loves my accent. I just added a little EFIZZY.
The last time I got to Nigeria, I was told my diction has changed which I was un aware.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 1:00am On Jun 30, 2013
Mogidi:

What you're saying doesn't make sense. Are you really saying to be a professional actor in UK you need to learn American diction. I thought Uk was the home of Arts, theatres, shakespeare etc. I can understand them learning American diction if they want to work in the US but learning it to become professionals is new to me.
New to you? I am surprised. Check all these UK bred actors, they all learn American diction to be universal. thats why actors like Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan, Jonh Hannah etc can act in Hollywood movies, otherwise, they 'll be strictly English actors and may never be popular.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 1:02am On Jun 30, 2013
babe_online:
Toronto guy thats the truth nau cheesy tongue
Na wah o. U call me ode when i nor offend u. cry BTW what's up with July 1? Family or fireworks?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 1:15am On Jun 30, 2013
delors:
Na wah o. U call me ode when i nor offend u. cry BTW what's up with July 1? Family or fireworks?
awww, I am so sorry cry...FIREWORKS!!! grin grin When did you get to Canada?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Originalsly: 1:38am On Jun 30, 2013
mruknaijaboy: I dont think nigerians talk in a foreign accent to sound more clear,i think they try and speak in other accents to think theyre cool and they think they will get more respect

look how many nigerian rappers who rap in a american accent and have only studied or been on holiday to america, theres Vector, Ice Prince, M.I, Lynxxx,Skales, Yung6ix, these are all people who havent spent more than 6months abroad except for M.I who studied at university in america but thats only 3 years and thats not enough to justify rapping in a american accent when your born and bred in Nigeria.

only rappers who dont rap in american accent at all are Olamide & Erigga, respect to those two for embracing Nigerian accent and culture, Phyno does american accent abit but there are alot of songs where he mixes it up with alot of igbo & pigin so respect to him too,

And there are quite a few artist/celebrities who have fake accents when they speak, Toke Makinwe,Iyanya, Ice Prince, Lynxxx,Wizkid, Dr Sid and i cant think of others right now but i always wonder why do they speak like that, do they think they will get more respect with a foreign accent?

theyre are only a few celebrities with authentic foreign accents in Nigeria, people like Seyi Shay,Emma Nyra,Toolz and others and probably a few more because they were raised in another country for the majority of their life

In the UK and USA people laugh when they hear nigerian artist rapping in a foreign accent & trying to talk in foreign accent

I think its a inferiority complexx, Nigerian musicians/celebrities should be more proud of Nigerian accent,culture and everything else that comes with it

Great point! ... and I will add the same for Nollywood actors...Genevieve, Nkem and Patience are the biggest stars in the US and not faking an American accent has a lot to do with it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Drama As Unruly Max Air Pilot Holds Passengers Hostage For 4 Hours After Boardin / @yola Airport: What Is Wrong With Our Leaders! / Visit To The Osun Osogbo Sacred Grove In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.