Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Nigerians And Fake Accent - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians And Fake Accent (38421 Views)

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' / Nigerian Accent, The 5th Sexiest In The World. / Uk Student Visa And Fake Bank Statements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by addicted268(f): 1:47am On Jun 30, 2013
joeydozzy: The bestu acenti you can get anywiere nwanne m is the Ibo accent
Notu justi Ibo, the thicky one nu ooo

Babies and oyoyo m na adabekes all feeli lovudu by me and ha ncha orluways wanna geti down withi me wink wink
Now,that's funny! cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by somegirl1: 1:55am On Jun 30, 2013
delors:
Oh! Are u surprised or angry? Or surprisingly angry? well, in North America, ask around.

hmmmn.
I wonder what sort of Nigerians go to North America because the ones in Europe have clearer accents than the Indians here.
Not always easy to tell when Indians have switched from English to Indian and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by BlueMagic2(m): 2:01am On Jun 30, 2013
In america most every1 has a different accent. Some1 frm the south sounds diffrnt from some1 frm the north, some1 frm texas sounds diffrnt frm some1 from new orleans or new york. A white sounds diffrnt from a black. Some1 from the country sounds so much diffrnt from some1 from the city. So u are a product of ur environment. If you grew up amongst whites u are definitely gonna sound white & vice versa. If u've lived in the U.S or U.K u are subconsciously gonna start talkn & pronouncing words a bit diffrnt than when u are in Nigeria. Fake accent is when u've lived in Naija all ur life & try to speak american or british a.k.a Pastor Chris. or when u've lived in france & start sounding american or british........

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Mekky2010: 3:01am On Jun 30, 2013
I've actually met fellows that are shocked I don't speak like oyibo, the fact that I schooled in RUSSIA and speak not just Russian but Spanish is inconsequential, to them oyibo is American or British accent, that's why someone will spend years in Germany, return to Naija and start speaking yea mehn lollll wonders endeth not!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 3:02am On Jun 30, 2013
some-girl:

hmmmn.
I wonder what sort of Nigerians go to North America because the ones in Europe have clearer accents than the Indians here.
Not always easy to tell when Indians have switched from English to Indian and vice versa.
Some girl, do u need a map? cheesy North America is the States and Canada...the Indians there are the aboriginals...and indian immigrants and they speak correct English.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by somegirl1: 3:11am On Jun 30, 2013
delors: Some girl, do u need a map? cheesy North America is the States and Canada...the Indians there are the aboriginals...and indian immigrants and they speak correct English.

Dear delors,
What part of my comment suggested that I didn't know what countries make up the North American continent or that I was referring to any people other than Indian immigrants?
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 3:16am On Jun 30, 2013
Lmao at the topic.

I don't know about American accent, but you definitely can't fake the British accent. Faking it will just make you look stupid and dumb - something like talking-drums to people's ears. Originality is the keyword and enunciation is also important. Wole Soyinka and Kofi Annan speak with African accent(s), and their English is clear and easy to understand.

Also, even if your speech-pattern is going to change, don't force it, let it happen naturally. Forcing it would make you sound weird.

In the UK for example; you've to have at least attended secondary here(or start living here before age 10-12) to have the proper British accent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 3:22am On Jun 30, 2013
When did Indian immigrants start speaking better English than Nigerians? grin shocked

Only educated Zimbabweans and probably Ghanaians speak better English than Nigerians IMO(for 3rd world English speaking countries, with non-white populations).

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by gbollykore: 4:12am On Jun 30, 2013
if you are good at what you do people will learn to listen to you, I have a high profile Nigerian lawyer that speaks with purely Nigerian accent in court despite being in the usa for over 30 years and he is very successful people are forced to listen to him, be good at what you do and the world will follow you, just speak clear English

I cant stand Nigerians that fake American accent especially when they know am Nigerian, after faking for a while the real naija accent comes out
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by InvertedHammer: 4:20am On Jun 30, 2013
Diasporan: Nigerians should emulate the Ghanian-American Comedian Michael Blackson.His originality and African accent earned him his popularity and friendship with top celebrities in America

You need to separate comedy/acting from reality. Michael Blackson is acting a script to fit a certain mindset.In real life, Michael sounds so akataish you wont believe it.

When you come to Rome, do like Romans. You cannot fully assimiliate into any culture if the citizens cannot understand you.Our typical heavy accent has been hindrance to a lot of people's careers. There could be exceptions. If you cannot effectively communicate (oral and written) in English, you will be bypassed in promotions into management positions.

You have all the odds against you: Black, foreigner, thick accent,....etc. So to progress, you need to up your game.

Don't blame the player;blame the game.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by tpia5: 4:21am On Jun 30, 2013
if everybody stayed in their country and village, there'd be no need for others to become paranoid over who is or isnt speaking with a fake accent.

i blame visa officials who just dash out visas like candy.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 4:25am On Jun 30, 2013
InvertedHammer:

You need to separate comedy/acting from reality. Michael Blackson is acting a script to fit a certain mindset.In real life, Michael sounds so akataish you wont believe it.

When you come to Rome, do like Romans. You cannot fully assimiliate into any culture if the citizens cannot understand you.Our typical heavy accent has been hindrance to a lot of people's careers. There could be exceptions. If you cannot effectively communicate (oral and written) in English, you will be bypassed in promotions into management positions.

You have all the odds against you: Black, foreigner, thick accent,....etc. So to progress, you need to up your game.

Don't blame the player;blame the game.

Thank you jare. End of discussion

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by drake2005: 4:28am On Jun 30, 2013
tpia@:
if everybody stayed in their country and village, there'd be no need for others to become paranoid over who is or isnt speaking with a fake accent.

i blame visa officials who just dash out visas like candy.

Lmao...lol. So you want us to stay back in our countries and villages because of simple english and make hunger kill us all, habi?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 4:32am On Jun 30, 2013
Question for Nigerians:

If BankyW who lived most of his life in America doesn't have an American accent; how come people like Iyanya, 2face, Ikechukwu, Naeto C et al have pseudo-American accents? grin

Also, I remember the first time I listened to the hyped "cockney"/"British" accent rap Lynxx supposedly made - I cringed after the first two bars. grin grin Nigerians need to allow it, you don't need to fake the accent for people to understand you especially if you live in London. Everyone(including white people) understands the naija accent. wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 4:36am On Jun 30, 2013
ShyM-X:
Question for Nigerians:

If BankyW who lived most of his life in America doesn't have an American accent; how come people like Iyanya, 2face, Ikechukwu, Naeto C et al have pseudo-American accents? grin

Also, I remember the first time I listened to the hyped "cockney"/"British" accent rap Lynxx supposedly made - I cringed after the first two bars. grin grin Nigerians need to allow it, you don't need to fake the accent for people to understand you especially if you live in London. Everyone(including white people) understands the naija accent. wink
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by delors(m): 4:39am On Jun 30, 2013
ShyM-X:
Question for Nigerians:

Lolz. Funny. I avtually thought Lynxx spent his entire life in the states. anyway, point of correction, not everyone understands Nigerian accent biko...Not everyone

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 4:41am On Jun 30, 2013
abdulkayus: Hahahaha, me dey enjoy dis thread wallahi.
D one wey dey pain me na dis Radio OAP, dem dey always sound like say na for US dem born dem.
Cool fm, Rhythm Fm, and others are guilty of dis.
Na Danny Foster 4 rhythm fm 4 lagos been start all dat wahala, ever since other radio presenters start 2 dey listen 2 dat guy, dem too begin dey form americana. 4 dem 2 even speak pidgin dis dayz na trouble 4 we listeners.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 4:47am On Jun 30, 2013
delors:
Lolz. Funny. I avtually thought Lynxx spent his entire life in the states. anyway, point of correction, not everyone understands Nigerian accent biko...Not everyone

I watched one of his interviews on a UK TV channel time ago, and he said he lived in the UK for a while. I don't think he lived in America at all. Yet, he sounds kind of a little bit American lool. Same for Chimamanda that lives in America, but sounds kind of British. I honestly don't understand Nigerians.

Only a Nigerian will travel to Dubai and start speaking mandarin. grin grin grin

Trust me, in London, almost everyone understands Nigerian accent(even the proper thick/tribal ones).

Anyway, the only real naija artist IMO is Burnaboy - he has a little bit of that South London thingy and I can listen to him talk all day. But I can't stand the rest of them.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 4:56am On Jun 30, 2013
babe_online: As some people have said there is a difference between faking an accent and learning to modify your accent. After spending just over a year in Canada, I can tell you that my accent is beginning to change and I cant help it because first off, the Nigerian accent sounds ridiculous and second I hate to repeat myself whenever I am talking and that is what that happens whenever I talk in my Nigerian accent because I don't just have a Nigerian accent but I have a very thick one(especially before). I will like to round up by saying if you are a Nigerian that is at home and one that is not planning on going to Canada, America, or UK very soon, I advise you to be proud of your accent and I also advise you to speak with it because the people in the US for example don't speak with a Nigerian accent, biko.
Shuuoo! shocked too much jandons on nairaland. Eh, time don reach 4 me 2 upgrade where I was born, where I've gone 2 & where I've lived. grin
So, when I visited d states abou last monf, I saw a short blac fellow Nigerian dude & I was like, "warra f**"! grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by MichaelSokoto(m): 5:11am On Jun 30, 2013
Blue Magic: In america most every1 has a different accent. Some1 frm the south sounds diffrnt from some1 frm the north, some1 frm texas sounds diffrnt frm some1 from new orleans or new york. A white sounds diffrnt from a black. Some1 from the country sounds so much diffrnt from some1 from the city. So u are a product of ur environment. If you grew up amongst whites u are definitely gonna sound white & vice versa. If u've lived in the U.S or U.K u are subconsciously gonna start talkn & pronouncing words a bit diffrnt than when u are in Nigeria. Fake accent is when u've lived in Naija all ur life & try to speak american or british a.k.a Pastor Chris. or when u've lived in france & start sounding american or british........
Pastor Chris? grin guy u wicked abeg!
I still prefer listenin 2 Pastor Temitope Joshua wit all him kondo engrish, always gets me reelin wit lafta & giggles though, sweet kind generous preacher cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:13am On Jun 30, 2013
ShyM-X:

I watched one of his interviews on a UK TV channel time ago, and he said he lived in the UK for a while. I don't think he lived in America at all. Yet, he sounds kind of a little bit American lool. Same for Chimamanda that lives in America, but sounds kind of British. I honestly don't understand Nigerians.

Only a Nigerian will travel to Dubai and start speaking mandarin. grin grin grin

Trust me, in London, almost everyone understands Nigerian accent(even the proper thick/tribal ones).

Anyway, the only real naija artist IMO is Burnaboy - he has a little bit of that South London thingy and I can listen to him talk all day. But I can't stand the rest of them.
shymexx you will not kill me with laff.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:15am On Jun 30, 2013
Michael Sokoto:
Shuuoo! shocked too much jandons on nairaland. Eh, time don reach 4 me 2 upgrade where I was born, where I've gone 2 & where I've lived. grin
So, when I visited d states abou last monf, I saw a short blac fellow Nigerian dude & I was like, "warra f**"! grin
you dey crase ooo. Wetin you yarn?!?!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:21am On Jun 30, 2013
babe_online:
shymexx you will not kill me with laff.

Shyte, I love the Yoruba accent and the adlibs. grin

And I absolutely love the Lagos and Warri pidgin as well.

Also, Ibadan people give me jokes all the time with the way they pronounce "S." Bwahahahaha

Gatts love Ibadan folks and their "see-keen" talk. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 30, 2013
ShyM-X:

Shyte, I love the Yoruba accent and the adlibs. grin

And I absolutely love the Lagos and Warri pidgin as well.

Also, Ibadan people give me jokes all the time with the way they pronounce "S." Bwahahahaha

Gatts love Ibadan folks and their "see-keen" talk. grin grin grin
Naija boy!...you have probably never been to Naija but you know more than me that spent 16 years there. I had to think twice when you talked on Ibadan people and the way they pronounce ''s''. Do you know how to speak the Nigerian pidgin??
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:38am On Jun 30, 2013
babe_online:
Naija boy!...you have probably never been to Naija but you know more than me that spent 16 years there. I had to think twice when you talked on Ibadan people and the way they pronounce ''s''. Do you know how to speak the Nigerian pidgin??

I dey try, my sister. grin

Boi, I've got a few Ibadan folks in my family and most of the naija folks in the UK are from Ibadan. So they aren't difficult to find out here.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:44am On Jun 30, 2013
I absolutely love Yoruba accent.

omggg there was this Lagosian engineering Yoruba girl with thick Yoruba accent on my campus. I loveddd listening to her. The "eh ehn," "abi" etc. Just so sexy to me.

I love speaking with Yoruba accent too
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:48am On Jun 30, 2013
Afam4eva:
Lol grin You left out the people who leave Cameroon with an American accent. No be French dem dey speak for Cameroon? grin
LWKMD grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Welrez(m): 5:54am On Jun 30, 2013
It is a joy to speak queen's english with a Nigerian accent.Listen to Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe(before his death) speak to appreciate my point.It sounds great.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 30, 2013
A-town:

If English is not an American language please tell me what is? Oh don't tell me American English oo and dont even try to mention England because i believe we've all read the history books. Its plain simple, if somebody borrows your language, the onus is on them to get it right. My reference to Brazil is simple. They have traces of Yoruba descendants there that speak a different/modified version. Why would I try to speak yoruba like them if I go there when I know my way of speaking is the original dialect? On the other hand, if they come to Yorubaland, they better pronounce words the way we do

Yoruba Benin may BE the original dialect.
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 30, 2013
One other thing most people don't know is that, if you're raised by Nigerian parents but born in a foreign country - the Nigerian accent will always form a percentage of your accent. And the accent will become more obvious when you're angry. grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 30, 2013
Cowmilk,

Those Yoruba adlibs sound like love-making sounds. wink

Gatts look for a Yoruba chic with those adlibs. Dun noe!!
Re: Nigerians And Fake Accent by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 30, 2013
I like how the Channels TV anchors and reporters speak. They pronounce words CLEARLY, and they have a hybrid of British, American and Nigerian accents.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Drama As Unruly Max Air Pilot Holds Passengers Hostage For 4 Hours After Boardin / @yola Airport: What Is Wrong With Our Leaders! / Visit To The Osun Osogbo Sacred Grove In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.