Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,195 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal (104644 Views)

Construction Journal | Browne Mews By Nexthome / My Construction Journal 2 / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (49) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:34am On Jul 19, 2013
esoorita: Well done Brabus, I'm amazed that in the 21st century,a swimming pool is being dug manually. With the advent of mechanical digger I would have thought there's no need for energy sapping and back breaking manual digging. I think it's cheaper and quicker to use mechanical digger or what do you think?

You're very right bro. However, digging of the swimming at this stage was an after-thought while trying to work around accessibility issue.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 1:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
First block laid. Walls going up. Picture updates later in the evening.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
Picture updates from The Chateau

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 2:36pm On Jul 19, 2013
The mansion is coming up nicely. Keep doing the good work and never the project to anyone to oversee for you.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by Marpol: 3:09pm On Jul 19, 2013
@brabus, is it compulsory to do the german floor first before the block work or can one build then do the german flooring later?

what are the merits and demerits
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 3:32pm On Jul 19, 2013
It's drizzling all day.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:41pm On Jul 19, 2013
Blockworks: End of Day 1

We made some good progress today despite the start and stop conditions due to rain - we managed to make a start on the internal and external walls for the Chateau and got a fair bit of the walls done. We are still doing well so no need to rush. I'm praying for a fair weather tomorrow. All things been equal, we should be working on the first floor slab by next Wednesday.

Driveway update: Trucks were using my driveway now and material delivery seems not be a major challenge again.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:52pm On Jul 19, 2013
End of the day pictures

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:58pm On Jul 19, 2013
Marpol: @brabus, is it compulsory to do the german floor first before the block work or can one build then do the german flooring later?

what are the merits and demerits

Since each building have its particular features, followers/readers must not interpret information contained on this thread as a professional opinion on his or her own case. Please note that, even though the answers I'm giving here may correspond to today’s most frequently used construction techniques, your house may need to be built quite differently.

Slab or German floor is not 100% compulsory in building. WHY? The foundations of a house rests on the footing. The walls of the foundation rest on the footing. The slab forms the floor of the house basement and it rests on the backfill and the interior ledge of the footing and remains independent from both footings and foundation walls. So, the slab or german floor does not serve as a structural support to either a column or a load-bearing wall.

If you can get your backfill and infill materials right, you can get away with pouring your slab after block works but if you'll still do it anyway, why not do it at once before the block work and take your mind off it at once.

I'll share the merits and demerits later on this thread. Of course, I do pour all my slabs before block works.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
mufutau55: The mansion is coming up nicely. Keep doing the good work and never the project to anyone to oversee for you.

Hajji Mufutau

Hajji, I'm a quick learner o. I've learnt some good lessons.

Lesson learned: Bad things are always going to happen in life. People will hurt you, don’t use that as an excuse to fail or to hurt someone back. You’ll only end up hurting yourself. After all, what matters is not the first, but the last chapter of our life which shows how well we ran the race.

4 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by sheade(f): 8:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
Awesome work Brabus, despite the hassle with the driveway the work progress is quite impressive.
As for the 3 gates pictures you posted, I think they are quite too simple for house of this magnitude. Post more gate pics smiley

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by mufutau55(m): 8:43pm On Jul 19, 2013
brabus:

Hajji, I'm a quick learner o. I've learnt some good lessons.

Lesson learned: Bad things are always going to happen in life. People will hurt you, don’t use that as an excuse to fail or to hurt someone back. You’ll only end up hurting yourself. After all, what matters is not the first, but the last chapter of our life which shows how well we ran the race.

I agreed with you 100% and I like your attitude towards life. Good work. Keep it up. And God bless.
And like my tag says below... one day I intend to be one of your client.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:47pm On Jul 19, 2013
sheade: Awesome work Brabus, despite the hassle with the driveway the work progress is quite impressive.
As for the 3 gates pictures you posted, I think they are quite too simple for house of this magnitude. Post more gate pics smiley

Oh! The fence. I knew it myself. Even my client was silent on this. So, I believe the fences didn't wow him. My client likes WOW things. I better find a nice one before he asks me.

MastersTouch, I need beautiful fence designs for this edifice.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
The Chateau

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by segcymoor(m): 9:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
..dis speed past jet o o o...
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 9:23pm On Jul 19, 2013
segcy.moor:
..dis speed past jet o o o...

Don't be surprised my bro! I'm miles ahead in my preparations. My worries at the moment is the first floor slab. All the reinforcement for this structure to first floor slab have been prepared. In fact, I'm already working on where to buy my roofs, whether Benin or Lagos.

That's how I work. I can time travel. I can go to the past to learn few things and also jet into the future to effect the present time.

4 Likes

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by esoorita: 11:48pm On Jul 19, 2013
[b][quote author=segcy.moor]..dis speed past jet o o o...[/quote
It's gone supersonic like Concorde! Brabus, I'll be surprised if the delivery time of this project is not beaten going at this rate. The owner of the project better start shopping for furnitures ASAP
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 6:55am On Jul 20, 2013
esoorita: It's gone supersonic like Concorde! Brabus, I'll be surprised if the delivery time of this project is not beaten going at this rate. The owner of the project better start shopping for furnitures ASAP

I think it's better to 'under-promise' and 'over-deliver' than to 'over-promise' and then 'under-deliver'.

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 11:13am On Jul 20, 2013
Progress is when half of the building is at lintel stage and the carpenter is warming up for a take-over tomorrow. To ensure we don't have problems with the blocks, we decided to reduce the mix ratio to 1 bag of cement to 8 headpans of sand using Dangote cement.

Extra 5 bags of cement won't make us cry!

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2013
@Brabus what is the standard recommended mix ratio to 1 bag of cement to headpans of sand using Dangote cement, with today's cements how long do the takes to dry or compound in time of a decking work on a building.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 3:41pm On Jul 20, 2013
All walls up to Lintel level. Picture updates later in the evening.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 3:56pm On Jul 20, 2013
@Brabus you know want answer my question?
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 4:04pm On Jul 20, 2013
Oga Kopell, I no fit ignore your question. Just give me some time. I'm rounding off today's work and making plans for tomorrow.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kopell: 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
Okay sir take your time.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by kemakube: 5:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
brabus: All walls up to Lintel level. Picture updates later in the evening.
Weldone bro, keep the good job moving.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:17pm On Jul 20, 2013
It rained so hard today. The heaviest rain since we started this project. However, we don't have to worry about anything cos we have finished block work to lintel level. The planks for the lintels are already on site. Granite and stone dust for the casting have been delivered. So, there's nothing to worry about! Let it rain!!

Pic updates shortly. I need hot coffee now.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
The only thing to worry about is that I couldn't wait to take the end-of-the-day picture of the project as the rain won't allow us.

You'll get that tmrw.
Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:43pm On Jul 20, 2013
Pictures from The Chateau

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:46pm On Jul 20, 2013
Men at work...

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:49pm On Jul 20, 2013
Planks for the lintels and columns been delivered to site.

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 7:53pm On Jul 20, 2013
The front pillars in the making

1 Like

Re: The Chateau In Ile-oluji: Our Construction Journal by brabus(m): 8:01pm On Jul 20, 2013
Then, it started raining...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (49) (Reply)

This Building Located At Iyana Era, Along Badagry Expressway, Ijanikin, Lagos / Build a Standard 3Bedroom On A half Plot Of 324sqmetres at an Affordable Cost / Can I Build This Type Of House In Three Months?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.