Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,139 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (167) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (683002 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by torture: 11:08am On Mar 07
Currently looking for a doctor in Ontario (Humber River) Most of the Doctors are not taking new patients (Including Ted Kosalka, his receptionist said they are full till April) I got another DR but they said her fee is CAD5,080 cash, non-refundable. Is this the normal rate? or too much?
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by kingonyi9: 4:47pm On Mar 07
torture:
Currently looking for a doctor in Ontario (Humber River) Most of the Doctors are not taking new patients (Including Ted Kosalka, his receptionist said they are full till April) I got another DR but they said her fee is CAD5,080 cash, non-refundable. Is this the normal rate? or too much?
the one in Ontario is it affordable and how did you reach them .
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by kingonyi9: 5:40pm On Mar 07
bimbss:
Hi Everyone currently in Ontario and it’s been a struggle to get a family doctor or gynae. Please I will be very grateful if anyone can recommend or assist me in getting one please thank you 🙏
Hello, how did you finally succeed? Pls I need the info
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by torture: 9:07pm On Mar 07
kingonyi9:
the one in Ontario is it affordable and how did you reach them .

Is CAD5,080 affordable?
Walk into the hospital, they will give you a list and contact of their Doctors.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by kingonyi9: 10:21am On Mar 08
Dsquare2017:
Caution: very, very, very, long post alert!!!!
Good day everyone in the house. I’ve been a silent reader, but I have greatly benefited from this thread and decided to give feedback on my journey so far. Thanks to the likes of Hotstepper, candybright, omobendel, and others (abeg forgive me if I no mention you, you are still acknowledged, please chop your accolade!) who were there to give kind guidance all the way. So, I would talk about my experience in stages. I know it’s very detailed but then I’m trying to cover whatever question you may have to ask me. For those who are not patient to read it
all, here are the highlights so far:
• Visa Application was online. Applied in September and approved in December 2018. Application was done before my wife was pregnant, so it was tourism visa.
• Accommodation was in an Airbnb for 10 weeks
• Hospital selected was Humber River Hospital
• Doctor spoken with was Doctor Ted Kosalka (didn’t require any referral)
• Point of Entry was quite easy though carried around to several desks. No unusual question or suspicion.
• Fees (these are the ones I have gotten so far) are as follows:
o Doctor’s fee: 2500 (both vaginal and CS)
o Pediatrician fee: 500 (both doctor and pediatrician fee paid at doctor’s office)
o Epidural: Doctor wasn’t too sure but said it’s about 1000 and will be paid on the day of delivery if required
o Hospital stay per night 3505 (mother and baby)
o Laboratory: 95(blood work) and 28(urine analysis)
o Ultrasound: 82
o Total: 7710 (Paid 6710 so far. Delivery day will determine the epidural cost)
Now to the details in stages.
Visa Application:
The VFS office Abuja was the Visa application center we used for the visa application. We applied for the visitor’s visa online on September 12, 2018. We initially intended to use it solely for tourism. Biometrics was requested for my wife in September 13, 2018 (I had already had my biometrics done in 2014 when I got my first Canadian visa). Passports were requested in November 19, 2018 and visas were issued in December 19, 2018 in London, England. Validity was till 2022 (around the time our passport was to expire). We intended to use visa for tourism in July 2019. However, my wife took-in in February 2019. Plans had to change since it did not make sense for use to arrive in Canada in July with a 5 months pregnancy and attempt to convince the border officer that we are not there for birth. That was how we decided that our baby would be born in Canada. Now I had no idea about what needs to be done for this to happen. So, I decided to make research and ask question. I was initially looking for an agent to help me do all of it. However, after I asked a colleague who had his children in USA how he did it, he directed me to nairaland, and then I realized that I don’t need an agent for this. That was how my search for this thread started. I was so anxious that I wanted to immediately ask all my questions at once. However, I noticed that those who asked were directed to read the thread from the beginning. So, I did the same. I didn’t really read it word for word but took note of experiences that relates to my situation. I saved several of those experiences which were helpful. And it’s true, most of the questions people ask here, have already been answered in previous posts, so for the newcomers, please read the thread from the beginning. Finally, my advice on visa application is to apply before you are pregnant so that you can apply as a tourist. The visa can last for as long as 10 years depending on the expiry date of your passport. So, don’t wait till you are pregnant to apply, just apply for it and get it. You are not required to make the journey after being issued the visa, so you can keep it till you are pregnant
Travel Preparation:
So, with the information I had gathered from the thread, I started making travel arrangement. For accommodation, first, neither my wife nor I have family or close friends to live with in Canada. Second, we actually needed an entire place to ourselves for the advantage of privacy and to be able to bring in visitors if necessary. Third, I needed to find a hospital first before making a final decision on accommodation, so as to make access to hospital facilities easier. So, I was on the internet every now and then looking for hospital and finding doctors. Over 90% of doctors phones go on voicemail and even when voicemails are dropped they don’t call back. However, I managed to get the cost of hospital fees for some hospitals such as St. Michael, Scarborough general, Humber River, and Lakeridge hospital. But getting doctors was the most difficult task. Eventually though I was able to get Dr. Ted Kosalka at Humber River Hospital. I spoke directly with him after his secretary handed me over to him, and he told me to expect to spend between 7000 and 8000CAD for my delivery. He also mentioned that doctor’s fee is 2000CAD for vaginal delivery and 2500CAD for CS. That money will be paid on the second visit. First antenatal visit is 120CAD and subsequent visit is 60CAD. Pediatrician fee is 500CAD and lab test is between 100 – 170CAD. I told him that I don’t have a referral from a family doctor, and he said there was no need for me to get referral. The hospital itself mentioned that hospital stay is 3505CAD per night (2680CAD for mother and 825CAD for baby) I made an oral appointment with the secretary for my wife’s first visit.
With Hospital and Doctor secured, it was time to book accommodation. I was already in discussion with a Nigerian who lives in Whitby, Ontario - one Mr. Folorunso (whom I found his contact on this thread) for accommodation. He had an entire basement that he rents at a very good price. Lakeridge hospital is also very close to his house. However, while Lakeridge hospital’s prices per night was reasonable, I was unable to get any doctor from Lakeridge hospital to answer my calls and the hospital itself said I have to get a referral. Though I would have loved to stay in the man’s house since he’s Nigerian and would understand things from a Nigerian point of view, I had to turn down the accommodation since the place was a little far from Humber river hospital which I eventually decided to use. So, I was back in search for accommodation. I finally got an Airbnb for 70 nights (10 weeks) in York, Ontario which was only about 10 mins drive to the doctor’s office, and about 15mins drive to the hospital. I also got return flight tickets booked as well.
Point of Entry:
Ok so I was a little scared of what will happen at POE because my purpose of visa application was only tourism. So I sent a mail to the Canadian High commission in Abuja in April 2019 to inform them of the change of intent…………… no reply. That got me even scarier. I then figured out that since the visas were issued in London, England, I would send the London office the mail. So I did. Unfortunately, I received an automatic reply that they don’t attend to visas inquiry. So I gave up, but printed the letter I mailed to them as evidence that I did not keep my intention hidden. As God would have it, I received a response one week later from the Canadian High commission in Lagos as a reply to the one I sent to London office. They confirmed that the visas were issued to me and my wife and that I only have to prove to the border officer that I have enough funds to cover the cost of delivery. The joy of that alone was more than the joy of getting visa approval. I immediately printed the letter as evidence.
We took the flight to Toronto, through Frankfurt Germany. Come and see where village people wan follow person cross border..lol. While boarding the flight from Frankfurt to Toronto, an African officer(his accent was not Nigerian though. Seems like he’s from some other African country) who was making checks on passports and boarding passes immediately started questioning us as if we are already at Canadian immigration and he is a CBSA. What’s your purpose of travelling to Canada? (Tourism and birth) Do you have 10000 dollars?(yes) Have you paid for your hospital fees and doctor’s fees already? Where are the receipts? (I have not paid because when I called the doctor….) No no no doctor is a private person, I need to see what you have paid to the hospital, the hospital is what is for the government. (Sir, I also called the hospital and I was told that I have to be in the country first….) No no no sir, that’s not how it works. The procedure is that you have to pay before you get there. Just stand here sir. I have to call the CBSA for you. (Okay, I’ll wait here)
Chaiiii, black man! Black man! Who do us this kain thing? So tey you wan pour sand for your own brother garri? Well after keeping us standing for about 20 mins, he came and showed us pictures of our passport and visa he has taken and that he spoke to the CBSA and that though the procedure is that we have to make payment first, he was able to convince them to let us board the flight. (For my mind I said this one now wan form say he speak on our behalf. Instead of him to acknowledge say he don fall hand and find out the correct procedure, he wan use African sense.) Anyway I thank God say God pass them
So we took the flight and arrived in Toronto International Airport. As soon as we got of the airplane door, some officers were there checking passport. They asked us what’s our purpose of coming to Canada, and we told them we came for tourism and to give birth. He directed us to another of his colleague who asked that we produce two forms of ID. I gave her passport and Nigerian driver’s license. She looked through and asked when the due date is. We told her and then she asked about the food items we were carrying. Then she let us go. We got to immigration and a lady there asked us what’s our purpose of coming to Canada. We told her same thing and she asked for the due date and how much we have on hand. (she didn’t ask to see though). She then directed us to another queue to see another immigration officer.
We eventually met an old man who is CBSA. He asked us our purpose of coming to Canada. We told him the same thing and he asked when is the due date, which hospital we were using, our doctor’s name, if we were on insurance or are cash patients, an estimate how much we have (he didn’t asked to see though), what my occupation is as well as that of my wife, when we planned to leave Canada, and other questions I can’t remember. He then asked if we were sure to leave on date of departure. We said we hope so. Then he added 11 more days to it as our maximum date of departure on the stamp. He gave my wife a document that she should hold on to it, as it would be required when we return. The document contained details that shows that we were not just there for tourism but to also give birth. The name of the doctor and hospital was there in the document. He also advised us to try to apply for the baby’s birth certificate and social insurance number (SIN) before we leave Canada. He told us to be sure it’s the right form we fill for it otherwise it can create problems for us. Generally, the man was extra nice. And that’s it – we were in!

Hospital/Doctor’s Bills
Got to Doctor Ted Kosalka’s Office (we had booked an appointment over the phone back in Nigeria). Front desk lady was quite nice and welcoming and asked if it was first time. Told us first visit is 120CAD and subsequent visit is 60CAD. Paid for the first visit(they accept cash only) and waited to see the doctor. Doctor outlined all bills required. Said Doctor’s fee is 2500CAD (both for vaginal or caesarean section. He said it’s best we pay full so that they wouldn’t have to ask for more money in case it turns out to be a CS). Pediatrician fee is 500CAD. Hospital fee is 3505CAD both for mother(2680CAD) and baby(825CAD) per day. If needed, Epidural fee or other pain management fee can be paid. He wasn’t too sure of Epidural fee but said it’s around 1000CAD. He said Doctor and Pediatrician’s fee is paid there in his office in cash (3000CAD). Hospital fees are paid at the hospital (Humber River Hospital) at the cashier’s office. Then we should go to the 4th floor at Humber River Hospital where the birthing unit is and see those at the registration for further information of what we need to bring along for birthing. He said hospital fees has to be paid well in advance and if possible, we should pay it that day. Also, doctor’s fees can be paid that day, but if not, we can pay it on our next appointment in two weeks. After checking my wife vital signs and doing a scan with a mini scanning machine, he confirmed baby’s ok, but we still need to do a full ultrasound. He gave us referral to laboratory and ultrasound which were in the same building as his office. Laboratory was for blood work (95CAD) and Urine analysis (28CAD). Lab accepted card payment. Ultrasound accepted only cash payment (82CAD).
Then we went to the hospital to make payments. Went first to the 4th floor and the lady at the reception said we were supposed to call first and book an appointment since she doesn’t normally attend to walk-ins. Any way she said we were already here and gave us two forms to fill at home which were basically birth preferences and a pre-operative anesthetic questionnaire. She said we should be sure to bring both forms on the day of delivery and then directed us to the ground floor where the cashier’s office is. We got there and made payment for the first 24hrs of stay for both mother and baby. Got all my receipt and kept them.
So, this has been my journey so far. I would update you guys when the rest of it is over. And I am confident that the God that saw us through the process up until this moment, we see us through to the end.
bros I’m coming to this your wonderful write up , can I get Dr Ted number want to use him and the hospital .
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by kingonyi9: 6:32pm On Mar 08
Abercrome:

I’m also headed to Surrey, BC to birth my baby. I don’t have a gynecologist contact though. I was able to book an appointment with a family doctor and it’s after seeing the family doctor that he/she will refer me to a gynecologist.
Pls can you share the hospital bill
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Baby08: 7:24pm On Mar 14
@anabor
anabor:
Hello Joseph, i need your help. How did you go about giving birth in Edmonton? Can you give me details on the hospital and the total fees spent?

Thank you

Please I
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Chichichime: 7:55am On Mar 24
Hello Philomena

How did you go about this?
In the same situation.

Kindly refer, if you found someone
Philomena101:
Please does anyone have a contact at Nigerian embassy in Ottawa? I need to get my baby's ETC as soon as possible.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Chichichime: 8:01am On Mar 24
Hello debsol,

Did you succeed with this?
Will appreciate the contact details if you have one.
Thanks a lot in advance

debsol:

Hi Mstomie,
Please i need the contact in ottawa for ETC to Nigeria for my baby. Kindly reach out to me please.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Didi28: 1:05am On Mar 26
Hello everyone,
I came to say thank you to you all even though I didn't get direct information when I asked for one but reading the thread from the beginning really helped me to navigate through my journey to Canada, its been blissful though spending my hard earned money but its all worth it, I only came to say thank you and to say if anyone is in Ontario and considering using the Brampton Civic hospital you can reach out to me to connect you to my doctor, he has been so good so far, I will come to share my journey and experience after delivery.
God bless you all

Didi28:
Good evening all,
First time here, I have read this thread from page one to this last page, please anyone here who can give information on affordable hospital and doctor in Brampton or Toronto because an considering either of this, I am due in April but travelling this February, I wouldn't mind an affordable accommodation too.
Kindly help a sister in need.
Thanks
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by kingonyi9: 1:33pm On Mar 27
Didi28:
Hello everyone,
I came to say thank you to you all even though I didn't get direct information when I asked for one but reading the thread from the beginning really helped me to navigate through my journey to Canada, its been blissful though spending my hard earned money but its all worth it, I only came to say thank you and to say if anyone is in Ontario and considering using the Brampton Civic hospital you can reach out to me to connect you to my doctor, he has been so good so far, I will come to share my journey and experience after delivery. Hi dear, I want to use Brampton can you connect me to Brampton civic thank you .
God bless you all

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by funkyy598: 10:58pm On Mar 29
Didi28:
Hello everyone,
I came to say thank you to you all even though I didn't get direct information when I asked for one but reading the thread from the beginning really helped me to navigate through my journey to Canada, its been blissful though spending my hard earned money but its all worth it, I only came to say thank you and to say if anyone is in Ontario and considering using the Brampton Civic hospital you can reach out to me to connect you to my doctor, he has been so good so far, I will come to share my journey and experience after delivery.
God bless you all

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by funkyy598: 4:50pm On Apr 02
funkyy598:

Please, I would like to use the same hospital. Could you please send me details about the cost, doctor you used, the associated costs, and how to book.. this my email (funkyy598@gmail.com).. I would appreciate it

please if anybody has more information regarding cost,doctor and location please assist me
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Skatty27: 3:36pm On Apr 03
[quote author=kingonyi9 post=129134384][/quote]
Please I’m interested
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Skatty27: 3:50pm On Apr 03
Didi28:
Hello everyone,
God bless you all

Please I am interested, I have also sent a direct message . Hope to hear from you soon
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Chocolatedee: 11:38am On Apr 10
Hello. please can you share details of your doctor and hospital in oakville? thank you.

moyomola22:
Hello everyone, I just had my bouncing healthy baby boy in oakville, how do I go about the passport processing and babys documents back to Nigeria? I want to go back last week of August, pls can someone just tell me the pages I can read on here to access the information? And then again my husband is not here am the only one here so I need a thorough information please help a sister🙏

Cc @hotsteppers and Co
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by spiceeamiee(f): 4:01pm On Apr 13
Congratulations on your baby. Please I sent you a PM. I would like to know the costs and procedures cos I would be doing this later in the year. Hoping to hear from you soonest

Didi28:
Hello everyone,
God bless you all

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by funkyy598: 4:45pm On Apr 13
Didi28:
Hello everyone,
God bless you all

sister.pls am still expecting your reply on more information on brampton civic hospital...thank you
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Bloomingbud(f): 9:59pm On Apr 18
Hello,

Please I’ll like to know if proof of fund from microfinance bank is accepted or strictly from commercial bank, kindly help with this urgent information.

@ Didi28
Chocolatedee
kingonyi9
Abercrome
Anabor
Dsquare2017.

Anybody with this information should please help me out. Thank you.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by gideon19: 9:21pm On Apr 21
Bloomingbud:
Hello,

Please I’ll like to know if proof of fund from microfinance bank is accepted or strictly from commercial bank, kindly help with this urgent information.

@ Didi28
Chocolatedee
kingonyi9
Abercrome
Anabor
Dsquare2017.

Anybody with this information should please help me out. Thank you.

better you go with a commercial bank

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Ydforlife: 7:56pm On Apr 25
Selfkontrol:

Hello dear pls still waitin for your breakdown. Thanks
Sorry I am just responding ! I paid the 15k deposit to Medicom and I was transferred to Rocky view hospital since it was close to home
Hospital fee charge per day -$4775 paid out of pocket because it was not included in the $15,000 deposit
I stayed for one night (C-Section mummy)
$160 for dynalife blood work (out of pocket)
Paid $360 for ultrasound and something else
$2917.50 for my son (out of pocket )
I have attached the $15,000 for medi-com breakdown

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.