Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:42 PM

Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike (35151 Views)

ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? / ASUP Strike Called Off With No Demand Fulfilled? / Senate Moves To Stop Post-UME Tests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by brightk(m): 12:39am On Jul 08, 2013
buoye1: ......Dis is correct bro.I attended Federal polytechnic Bauchi wch I had my diploma in Electrical/Electronics Engineering so I opted 4 a direct entry,it was then I knew d diffrnce btw a a Polytechnic& a University...there is dis course Engineering in society,it highlighted everything..an HND holder is a technician while a Btech holder is an Engineer pls dey r nt equivalent.......tnx
dem don put fear for ur body. u come run go direct entry..mtchewwwwwwww
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by brightk(m): 12:43am On Jul 08, 2013
its a known fact that polytechnic students outshine their counterparts in dia respective industries.. am not condemning anyone.. but if u tink u are better den y havent u come out with credible solutions 2 d problems in this country especially those that has 2 do wit ur field.. nonsense

As 4 me am proud 2 be on HND holder.. na baba God do am 4 me..
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by ishmael(m): 1:13am On Jul 08, 2013
In practice, and what is obtainable in the UK, US, Canada, and most European countries;the difference between engineering and engineering technology is very insignificant. That is why they overlap each other in so many ways. Engineering focuses on theoretical aspect of engineering and earning a BSc or BEng at the end of the day, while engineering technology focuses on applied engineering and earning a BTech. They are equivalent qualifications serving different purposes and playing complementary roles. They are employed and placed on the same level. There is no discrimination in terms of remuneration and job progression. For those overrating engineering and underrating engineering technology, do a Google search of the word engineering technology and read what u can see there.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Easynnna: 1:32am On Jul 08, 2013
God abeg'o....i don tire 4 house.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Sumbarkaya(m): 4:22am On Jul 08, 2013
Meringe: Long overdue, am not a graduate of Poly but I think the discrimination meted on Poly graduates and people working with these higher institution is unfair.
It takes average of 5years to graduate from poly why varsity isa four years normal why the difference?

In your mind.

Have You taken a look at courses like architecture, building, etc or any of the engineering courses and tell me which of them in Nigerian university is less than 5years? U sit, think and talk the way u do.

Have u considered why students of the medical profession (like pharm. & med etc) are given preferential treatments leaving their counterparts in engineering, environmental etc out?

Certainly, there's work to do in härmonizing all this.

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by ibiso1986: 5:30am On Jul 08, 2013
U just made my day bro
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Hyperchi(m): 6:26am On Jul 08, 2013
I pray it work out coz me don won go learn shoe making @no time noni.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by ishmael(m): 8:23am On Jul 08, 2013
kayusbrown:

Ignorance smells all over your post. It is folks like you that continue to perpetuate this evil discrimination because of the fear that HND holders might outshine their degree holder counterparts if placed at same level.

It is only in Nigeria that the engineering degree holder assumes the title 'Engineer' is meant only for engineering University graduates. This explains why COREN is more concerned about titles at the expense of technological advancement of the nation. For your information, even the Engineering Craftmen are ENGINEERS at their own level if you know what engineering really mean.
The HND holders are not interested in titles. All they demand is justice. If what constitutes a bachelor's degree internationally is success in minimum of 120 credit hours of courses in higher institution of learning, why is Nigeria HND not accepted as equivalent to a bachelor's degree when an average HND holder must have completed successfuly courses not less than 140 credit hours(ND courses inclusive cos it's the pre-requisite to HND)?
Nice one there. The last time i checked, countries like US assume HND to be the equivalent of a BS Degree. They admit nigerian HND holders direct into their postgraduate schools for Master's Degree programmes by virtue of having spent atleast 4 years studying in a higher institution and being able to achieve a minimum credit load of 120. Most nigerian polytechnics even achieve between 160 and 180 credits from ND to HND. If the US can respect the nigerian HND and treat it as the equivalent of a BS Degree, that means it is internationally recognized. Let justice prevail. It should not be about the name of the school or certificate, whether Degree or Diploma, but about the structure and quality of the course work and its significance to economic development. Also what the individual can do should be significant. What the polytechnic graduates are asking for is a level playing ground for both teams to compete without fear or favour. Accounting body (ICAN) realized this long ago and has allowed both HND and Bsc holders to compete together, and the HND holders have been doing better in the exams from ICAN records. Other professional bodies should borrow a leaf from ICAN and give Poly graduates the chance to proof themselves right or wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Noblejkz(m): 8:45am On Jul 08, 2013
stevoski059: you are very stupid for mentioningthe great Imo State University here.g
did u say great? Dis is funny indeed.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Doluseun(m): 9:06am On Jul 08, 2013
double3:
Laughs.... My sister don't take it personal,speaking on your comment; I think its not the function of an engineer to wire a building,an engineers function is to draw the wiring diagram( design the wiring plan) while the technician does the actual wiring; so don't be surprised if the managing director of PHCN cannot wire his house(laughs).
this happens only in nigeria, an engineer wiring a project on paper!
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 08, 2013
Doluseun:
this happens only in nigeria, an engineer wiring a project on paper!
Dont mind him, yet, they want advancement in the world of technology.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Ebyce(f): 10:56am On Jul 08, 2013
May GOD help us ,am tried of stayn at home

1 Like

Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by ishmael(m): 11:15am On Jul 08, 2013
Ebyce: May GOD help us ,am tried of stayn at home
Don't get tired pls! Pray for the govt to meet the demands of the striking lecturers, including removing the discrimination against HND certificate. I can assure u, it is only then that u can be hopeful to have a future that will be sweet and pleasant as a poly HND graduate. HND graduates are currently and presently suffering in the civil service. They now employ HND holders as level 07 officers (level for NCE holders) instead of 08. They also cannot go beyond level 12 in some parastatals. Just endure a little.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Hearme(m): 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2013
The same funding problem ASUU is complaining about. The only thing managed properly in this country is the national assembly and the presidency.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Freeanijoo(m): 5:49pm On Jul 08, 2013
It is high time we realise that the government of nigeria is deceiving polytechnic students. The polytechnic system of education in nigeria is the biggest scam ever parpetrated by the nigeria govt. My advice to asup is that they should not call off the strike if the FG is not ready to meet up with there demands, to the FG they should abolish the polytechnic system of education in nigeria so that all the student will have a level playing ground.
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
I remember back then when i was working in UAC as an Account supervisor with my ND certificate,a FUTA graduate was posted to me for trainning..To my surprise,this guy can't hold computer mouse as he grabbed the mouse as if he wanted to change a vehicle's gear let alone knowing where the start button or working on microsoft word or excel and the guy was posted to work as a manager in my branch and he was to undergo trainning on Sage pastel,IDRS,ERP n sage line 500(all are accounting softwares)..When the guy could not catch up for 3 wks,i called the HRM at the head office and reported him..The guy was fired..I just hate the discrimination menh..It's not worth it at all,Bleep degree
Re: Senate Moves To End ASUP Strike by asaju10(m): 11:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
double3:
Young fellow,u can't expect to be trained as a technician n wanto end up answering an engineer,u should know better. In the field of engineering, we have the engineers, the technicians, the technologist, the craftmen, and the artisans. So u can't be trained to be a crafts man or technologist n come out tomorrow n wanto rub shoulders with an engineering degree holder; I don't think its done anywhere in the world(u can quote me on that)
Moreover before applying to go to a polytechnic, I think u should have been aware of th degree u would be given at th end of ur program, so please let's stop all these sentimental bullshit n play our roles according to our academic background. Or tomorrow u should not be surprised when a brick layer comes out n start making noise tht he can build houses while a civil engr. cannot do so, so therefore they should be allowed to answer th tile of an engr. (Lol)
Are u tryin 2 tel me dt uni grads are beta of wen it cmes 2 praticals?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

School Punishment (share Your Experience) Photos / UNIMAID Dental Student Dies 3 Days After Oath-taking (photo) / Covenant University Students Exhibit Surveillance Robot Named “spybot”(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.