Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:24 AM

Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (61976 Views)

The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by weezii(m): 7:56am On Oct 13, 2013
hi miss sparklebug I sent you an email. please I need to get some information from you. thanks
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by iamdeclan(m): 6:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
phineas: The problem with undergraduates in Nigeria is simple,you have no carrear mentors.

Who builds a house without first counting the cost? Most expect to graduate and a job fall in their laps by chance,connections or luck.truth is what you need is adequate planning and using your spare undergrad time to align with opportunities and free courses that abound some on the internet this will give you a competitive edge in the area u want to work in and you start from that 100l not after NYSC.

BMS physiology,microbiology and biochem are in high demand in many org,and there is no week you don't see adverts from such org for vacancies.from quality assurance in med,to biomedics,to data management,to disease surveillance,trainings,etc also the fed govt ,state govt,NPHDA, amongst others and there are some that pay better than clinical consultants of 20yrs will ever hope to earn in Nig.....there ur degree isn't discriminated so long as you have basic medical knowledge and exp neccesarry for the job.

My point is rather than been pesimistic from the onset,the way forward is to meet snr ones that have grad and been working for yrs they'll tell you what they have learnt about the industry,the opportunities that are available and what they would require so u start planning towards it.another way is to check the papers not for a job but for the requirements for those posts that BMS can apply for,meet up with pple from those org ask questions,start planning.

Avoid neg pple and those striving for roles not suited to them,find succesfull pple in your field that earn well and ask them the way,Network like mad starting now is the key,those relationships will come in usefull sometime in future,cos a lot of openings never get advertized but spread by word of mouth in the same setting and you only tell those you know.

if you want to travel,the time to start planning is also 100l.

My 2 piece.

9ice 1,are u a graduate in any BMS course,am a 300L physiology student,Unilorin. kindly connect me wit graduates from my field. u can get me at Iamdeclan23@gmail.com
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by iamdeclan(m): 8:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
mindthing: I have a B.sc in Human Physiology from one of the federal universities in this country, and i can say outright that there is little professional niche for the basic medical sciences in Nigeria. I have personally never looked at my discipline as a meal ticket in itself, because right from when i was in school (i graduated in 2004), even doctors (MBBS holders) had started having their own challenges. I often looked at the kind of cars they drove and how they dressed and simply knew i wanted far more than that. So i started writing my IT certifications from 300L. Now i am almost 10 years in my field of IT, an esoteric field at that because it wasn't vastly popular at the time, and i see my colleagues who are now doctors now not even anywhere close to me in terms of earnings and standing... in actual fact, lots of them have gone either into research (overseas), into business or into administrative medicine because of the allure of the lucre... practice simply cuts it no more (ditto the strikes and protests etc in the health sector these days).

So what is my point?

1. Realize that little niche exists for para-medicine in this country

2. Go overseas if you can, para-meds have better working hours and really good pay there, especially in the US, UK and Asia

3. Get your Physiology/Anatomy certificate, and get an education with it, not just literacy. You will find that a little dexterity when applying the kind of mind that got you your degree in the first place to other disciplines will yield amazing results; and

4. Quit whining and start figuring out which of 2 & 3 you wanna do. Better to start late than never.

Good hunting.

i lyk ya post bro,is dia anyway i can contact u?? plz lemme knw. am 300L undergraduate of physiology at unilorin
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by lepasharon(f): 9:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
how hard is it in naija to own ur own laboratory ? undecided
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Madeu(m): 10:19pm On Jul 16, 2014
lepasharon: how hard is it in naija to own ur own laboratory ? undecided
You need a licence.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by iamdeclan(m): 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2014
[color=][/color]
TONYE001: Good one OP.

I just had my B. Sc in Human Physiology and I made a Second Class Upper.

I understand that getting a job as an Anatomist or Physiologist is difficult but there are still possibilities.

One may decide to further and specialize in any of the branches (eg, in Physiology: Blood and Body Fluid Physiology, Cardiovascular Physiology, Neuro Physiology, etc.). There are also vacancies to work in some health NGOs (eg, the various HIV/AIDS NGOs). They pay well.

You can also deviate a little into Laboratory Sciences, Radiography (Anatomists), Electrophysiology (EEG, EOG, ECG etc).

For those that wanted Medicine, simply seek means of going back to the medical school.

Thank you.

I understand that getting a job as an Anatomist or Physiologist is difficult but there are still possibilities.

One may decide to further and specialize in any of the branches (eg, in Physiology: Blood and Body Fluid Physiology, Cardiovascular Physiology, Neuro Physiology, etc.). There are also vacancies to work in some health NGOs (eg, the various HIV/AIDS NGOs). They pay well.

You can also deviate a little into Laboratory Sciences, Radiography (Anatomists), Electrophysiology (EEG, EOG, ECG etc).

For those that wanted Medicine, simply seek means of going back to the medical school.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Yeas,i am a 300L undergrad of physiology&i dnt plan returnin 4 med.i stil bliv dia are ways 2 make it in dz course. can i get 2 knw u? #iamdeclan23@gmail.com# 7A13C12D
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by iamdeclan(m): 2:33pm On Jul 17, 2014
Kdjmamar: is it a most to work in hospital or lab? is it only doctors dat make it in life? abeg wise up am physiologist nd am makin my money, i mean cool money . just know that u re going to make it in dis world! sikena

Bro plz can i get 2 know you?? i am also a physiologist undergradute. plz contact me on iamdeclan23@gmail.com or add me 7A13C12D
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 1:57am On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Damie370: 7:19am On Nov 01, 2014
I av just been admitted to study pharmacology.....pls wat do u think about pharmacololgist job opportunities in Nigeria
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Madeu(m): 12:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
Rjasan:
How much is the salary of a med _ lab scientist.

The salary varies with establishment.
Med lab sci are placed on Conmess 8.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Madeu(m): 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2014
Damie370:
I av just been admitted to study pharmacology.....pls wat do u think about pharmacololgist job opportunities in Nigeria

You fall in the same order like every other graduate. Basically, its seems like a wholly academic line.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Damie370: 1:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
But pharmacology is a branch of pharmacy although i know dat pharmacology is not pharmacy but i still think pharmacololgist should av a say in Job opportunities since it is a branch of pharmacy
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 01, 2014
Madeu:

But how much do you think they are paid in most government and private hospitals. Please help with figures. What's Conmess 8?. Please enlighten me more.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Madeu(m): 5:18pm On Nov 01, 2014
Rjasan:
But how much do you think they are paid in most government and private hospitals. Please help with figures. What's Conmess 8?. Please enlighten me more.
www.nsiwc.gov.ng/Docs/pdf/CONMESS_2009.pdf
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
You know, this BMS of a thing makes me sad most times. Going through the stress of reading wide, going extra mile to borrow courses from Biochemistry, anatomy and other department. Coming out as a fresh graduate, with no hope of working somewhere related to your line except lecturing.

I just wonder why they belittle us, I wonder why they can't give us a license. Personally, I'm the shy and timid type. Do you think lecturing is the best option for me?.

Starting from 100 level, I'll always sit and ask what's next after after B.Sc. Going back for medicine is just a no no.

I only look up to God. Am so confident in him. I know He'll guide and direct my path to my place of fulfilment.

2 Likes

Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 02, 2014
Hmmm...
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 02, 2014
temigracie:
You know, this BMS of a thing makes me sad most times. Going through the stress of reading wide, going extra mile to borrow courses from Biochemistry, anatomy and other department. Coming out as a fresh graduate, with no hope of working somewhere related to your line except lecturing.

I just wonder why they belittle us, I wonder why they can't give us a license. Personally, I'm the shy and timid type. Do you think lecturing is the best option for me?.

Starting from 100 level, I'll always sit and ask what's next after after B.Sc. Going back for medicine is just a no no.

I only look up to God. Am so confident in him. I know He'll guide and direct my path to my place of fulfilment.
you are in what dept in BMS.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by lepasharon(f): 7:54pm On Nov 02, 2014
temigracie:

Go for graduate entry medicine
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Madeu(m): 6:26am On Nov 03, 2014
temigracie:

Most renowned academicians are the nerdy, geek types. When they have something great to offer, they overcome the stage fright feeling and the timidness they faced in everyday contact with people.

Many of my colleagues are doing something useful with their BMS cert. You can also do better.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by iamdeclan(m): 7:45am On Nov 07, 2014
mindthing:
I have a B.sc in Human Physiology from one of the federal universities in this country, and i can say outright that there is little professional niche for the basic medical sciences in Nigeria. I have personally never looked at my discipline as a meal ticket in itself, because right from when i was in school (i graduated in 2004), even doctors (MBBS holders) had started having their own challenges. I often looked at the kind of cars they drove and how they dressed and simply knew i wanted far more than that. So i started writing my IT certifications from 300L. Now i am almost 10 years in my field of IT, an esoteric field at that because it wasn't vastly popular at the time, and i see my colleagues who are now doctors now not even anywhere close to me in terms of earnings and standing... in actual fact, lots of them have gone either into research (overseas), into business or into administrative medicine because of the allure of the lucre... practice simply cuts it no more (ditto the strikes and protests etc in the health sector these days).

So what is my point?

1. Realize that little niche exists for para-medicine in this country

2. Go overseas if you can, para-meds have better working hours and really good pay there, especially in the US, UK and Asia

3. Get your Physiology/Anatomy certificate, and get an education with it, not just literacy. You will find that a little dexterity when applying the kind of mind that got you your degree in the first place to other disciplines will yield amazing results; and

4. Quit whining and start figuring out which of 2 & 3 you wanna do. Better to start late than never.

Good hunting.
Bro,why not just put your number down,a lit of people will wanna get more of that orientation. I'm a 300L student of physiology and just like u said,I don't fancy the lyf of those doctors so I don't plan returning for mb be.. I will want u to tell me more abt option 3... Anticipating ur reply& ur contact or anywia I can get u on any social network
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Raphael9(m): 3:19pm On Feb 12, 2015
Damie370:
But pharmacology is a branch of pharmacy although i know dat pharmacology is not pharmacy but i still think pharmacololgist should av a say in Job opportunities since it is a branch of pharmacy
please how many years is ur course (pharmacology)
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Damie370: 12:17pm On Feb 14, 2015
Four years
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Lawiee: 12:40am On Apr 26, 2015
Abeg make una help me out. I put in for medicine, but the school I registered in gave me Anatomy. Pls I don't want to to go back to read medicine in any way after 5 years of reading anatomy. I just started my 4th year. Pls, I began guys

Pls I don't need your criticism. Just advice me as you would your younger one. Especially chreld_b:
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Olucheye(m): 12:15pm On Apr 26, 2015
Lawiee:
Abeg make una help me out. I put in for medicine, but the school I registered in gave me Anatomy. Pls I don't want to to go back to read medicine in any way after 5 years of reading anatomy. I just started my 4th year. Pls, I began guys

Pls I don't need your criticism. Just advice me as you would your younger one. Especially chreld_b:

If you'll not mind, lose a year and go for Medicine except you've got enough to fund a medical school outside the country.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Abcruz(m): 10:07pm On May 03, 2015
This issue is really really bad. How can one go to school, study a course painstakingly with the mindset of greater hope ahead, only to end up searching for jobs that can never be found. cry
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by iamcourage(m): 10:54am On Sep 11, 2015
As a biochemist..must you work in the hospital? Why not explore other areas! If you limit yourselfs to just hospitals you will get fustrated..
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Raphael9(m): 4:29pm On Sep 12, 2015
pls what are the chances of a pharmacologist surviving in the medical labor market of our great country Nigeria.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by medpren: 3:50pm On Nov 12, 2015
Your knowledge is relevant. Learn to become an entrepreneur with your BMS degree.
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by nelszx: 2:34am On Jan 11, 2016
Madeu:

Young graduates (Intern) Medical Lab scientists are placed on CONHESS 8 step 2 that's roughly (N1,650,392.00 pa.)
Then post NYSC is a step above that CONHESS 9 step 2 and it goes on
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Ovipoet: 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2016
A biomedical scientist (biomedician,
biomedical doctor, medical
scientist , clinical scientist) is a
scientist trained in biology , particularly
in the context of medicine . These
scientists work to gain knowledge on
the main principles of how the
human body works and to find new
ways to cure or treat disease by
developing advanced diagnostic tools
or new therapeutic strategies . The
research of biomedical scientists is
referred to as biomedical research .
Biomedical scientists can have a
particular focus on basic , pre-clinical ,
or translational research . While
biomedical scientists specifically focus
on understanding the human body
and disease, scientists educated in
other fields also contribute greatly to
advancements in medical knowledge,
including biologists, biomedical
engineers, chemists , and physicists.
In the United Kingdom , the term
"biomedical scientist" as related to the
health service has a different meaning
than in other parts of the world,
specifically referring to a class of
healthcare professional that performs
clinical pathology services.
Description
The specific activities of the
biomedical scientist can differ in
various parts of the world and vary
with the level of education. Generally
speaking, biomedical scientists
conduct research in a laboratory
setting, using living organisms as
models to conduct experiments .
These can include cultured human or
animal cells grown outside of the
whole organism, small animals such
as flies , worms , fish , mice , and rats,
or, rarely, larger animals and primates.
Biomedical scientists may also work
directly with human tissue specimens
to perform experiments as well as
participate in clinical research .
Biomedical scientists employ a variety
of techniques in order to carry out
laboratory experiments. These
include:
Molecular and biochemical
techniques
Electrophoresis and blotting
Immunostaining
Chromatography
Mass spectrometry
PCR and sequencing
Microarrays
Imaging technologies
Light , fluorescence , and
electron microscopy
MRI
PET
X-ray
Genetic engineering/modification
Transfection
Viral transduction
Transgenic model organisms
Electrophysiology techniques
Patch clamp
EEG, EKG, ERG
In silico techniques
Bioinformatics
Computational biology
Level of education
Biomedical scientists typically obtain a
terminal academic degree , usually a
doctorate. (PhD, DSc, DPhil, etc.) This
degree is necessary for faculty
positions at academic institutions, as
well as senior scientist positions at
most companies. Some biomedical
scientists also possess a medical
degree (MD , DO , MBBS, etc.) in
addition to an academic degree.
Work environment
Academics
This category includes tenured faculty
positions at universities, colleges, non-
profit research institutes , and
sometimes hospitals . These positions
usually afford more intellectual
freedom and give the researcher
more latitude in the direction and
content of the research. Scientists in
academic settings, in addition to
conducting experiments, will also
attend scientific conferences, compete
for research grant funding, publish
scientific papers , and teach classes.
Industry Industry jobs refer to private
sector jobs at for-profit corporations.
In the case of biomedical scientists,
employment is usually at large
pharmaceutical companies or
biotechnology companies. Positions in
industry tend to pay higher salaries
than those at academic institutions,
but job security compared to tenured
academic faculty is significantly less.
Researchers in industry tend to have
less intellectual freedom in their
research than those in the academic
sector, owing to the ultimate goal of
producing marketable products that
benefit the company.
Non-Traditional Career Paths
In recent years, more biomedical
scientists have pursued careers where
advanced education and experience
in biomedical research is needed
outside of traditional laboratory
research. These areas include patent
law , consulting , public policy, and
science journalism . The primary
reason for growth in these areas is
that in recent years fewer positions
are available in traditional academic
research relative to the number of
seekers; approximately 15-20% of PhD
life scientists will obtain a tenure-track
position or lab-head position in
industry. [1]
United Kingdom
"Biomedical scientist" is the protected
title used by professionals qualified to
work unsupervised within the
pathology department of a hospital.
[2] The biomedical sciences are made
up of the following disciplines;
biochemistry , haematology,
immunology , microbiology, histology ,
cytology, bacteriology and transfusion
services. These professions are
regulated within the United Kingdom
by the Health professions council .
Anyone who falsely claims to be a
biomedical scientist commits an
offence and could be fined up to
£ 5000.
Each department specialises in aiding
the diagnosis and treatment of
disease. Entry to the profession
requires an Institute of Biomedical
Science (IBMS) accredited BSc
honours degree followed by a
minimum of 12 months laboratory
training in one of the pathology
disciplines, however the actual time
spent training can be considerably
longer. Trainees are also required to
complete a certificate of competence
training portfolio, this requires
gathering extensive amounts of
evidence to demonstrate professional
competence. At the end of this period
the trainees portfolio and overall
competence are assessed if successful
state registration is achieved. State
registration indicates that the
applicant has reached a required
standard of education and will follow
the guidelines and codes of practice
created by the health professions
council.More recently a co-terminus
degree has been implemented to
bring the profession into line with the
other professions allied to health care.
Students now participate in a
placement year,which lasts 15 weeks,
in either the second or third years of
their degree. Students are then
awarded their state registration on
completion of their degree.
Placements are not guaranteed and
places are limited to the top students,
those who do not get placements can
follow the old style of registration but
are at a serious disadvantage when
applying for posts.
Biomedical scientists are the second
largest profession registered by the
Health Professions Council and make
up a vital component of the health
care team. Many of the decisions
doctors make are based on the test
results generated by biomedical
scientists. Despite this, much of the
general public are unaware of
biomedical scientists and the
important role they play. This lack of
awareness extends to many doctors
and nurses; often biomedical
scientists are incorrectly referred to as
laboratory technicians.
Biomedical scientists are not confined
to NHS laboratories. Biomedical
scientists along with scientists in other
inter-related medical disciplines seek
out to understand human anatomy,
genetics, immunology, physiology and
behaviour at all levels. This is
sometimes achieved through the use
of model systems that are
homologous to various aspects of
human biology. The research that is
carried out either in Universities or
Pharmaceutical companies by
biomedical scientists has led to the
development of new treatments for a
wide range of degenerative and
genetic disorders. Stem cell biology,
cloning , genetic screening/therapies
and other areas of biomedical science
have all been generated by the work
of biomedical scientists from around
the world. Leading UK biomedical
science academics and researchers
include: Prof Mark Ferguson, Prof P G
(Gerry) McKenna MRIA, Prof David
Rogers, Prof Val Randall and Prof
Robert May.
↑Jump back a section
Education
Biomedical science graduate
programs are maintained at academic
institutions and medical schools
around the world, and some
biomedical graduate programs are
administered jointly by an academic
institution and a business, hospital, or
independent research institute. While
graduate students historically
committed to a particular research
specialty, such as molecular biology ,
biochemistry , genetics, or
developmental biology , the recent
trend (particularly in the United
States) is to offer interdisciplinary
programs that do not specialize and
instead aim to incorporate a broad
education in multiple biological
disciplines. Historically people
entering biomedical graduate
programs have held a master's
degree, although many universities
(particularly in the United States)
currently accept applicants holding a
bachelor's degree with exceptional
credentials such as high
undergraduate GPA and entry
examination scores as well as
extensive research experience.
Initially, biomedical graduate students
usually rotate through the
laboratories of several faculty
researchers, after which the student
commits to joining a particular
laboratory for the remainder of his or
her tenure. The remaining time is
spent conducting original research
under the direction of the principal
investigator to complete and publish a
dissertation. Unlike undergraduate
and professional schools, there is no
set time period for graduate
education. Students graduate once a
thesis project of significant scope to
justify the writing of their dissertation
has been completed, a point that is
determined by the student's principal
investigator as well as his or her
faculty advisory committee. The
average time to graduation can vary
between institutions, but most
programs average around 5–6 years.
[3]
Biomedical scientists typically study in
undergraduate majors that are
focused on biological sciences, such
as biochemistry , microbiology,
zoology, biophysics, etc.

Thank you so much, but this is old news. The problem is that the Nigerian government do not have the best equipments or research perspective to accommodate all the myriad of graduates produced from this FIELD..... They have to pay more attention to research and bring up a strategy to save the situation....

LOTS OF GRADUATES AND INTELLECTUAL MINDS..... But can we all be absorbed into the university as lecturers
What happens to the others who are not inclined to teaching?
Re: Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? by Ovipoet: 8:45am On Jan 29, 2016
Following several stakeholders meetings in the last two years and as a prelude to the formal release of the New Minimum Academic benchmark (2015), the National universities Commission has approved relevant adjustments relating to Medical/ Dental schools.
Jude Chiedu of Medicalworldnigeria.com reports that a major change to essential components of the new curriculum expected to be in use from the 2016/2017 academic session is the approval of three alternative models viz;
i. A seven year MBBS/BDS programme that encompass a mandatory seamless four-year acquisition of the B.Sc. (Basic Medical Science) with interest in either Anatomy/Physiology/Biochemistry. At the end of seven years, students would have acquired the Bachelor of Basic Medical Science, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degrees. In case of the dental programmes, the students would have acquired a degree in Basic Dental Science and Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
ii. In order to allow for career change for interested non-medical health professionals, the Commission has also approved a four year programme leading to MBBS/BDS for interested and qualified graduates of Nursing, Pharmacology, Physiotherapy, Image Science, Paramedics, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology. It must be noted for such to be considered for admission they must have at the WAEC/NECO levels minimum credit scores in Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at one sitting, prior to the admissions for their first degrees. They must also have a good CGPA.
iii. Admission into universities based on the current six year programme would be allowed to continue as suitable alternative based on the discretion of the University.
It should be noted and emphasized that all the above degrees have the Bachelor appellation as they remain undergraduate programmes.
For Specific periods of posting to the department of Family Medicine. The obvious implication here is that, the Universities should create the Department of Family Medicine following their due process.
The department of pharmacology would be redsignated to the department of pharmacology and therapeutics and is now expected to provide relevant basic clinical teaching and conduct relevant professional examination in Pharmacology. They will also be expected to provide relevant clinical teaching in Therapeutics.
According to the NUC, proprietors of medical and dental schools in Nigeria (both current and prospective) are requested to note the following implementing steps including relevant adjustments relating to accreditation of Medical /dental schools
From 1st September 2015, both current and prospective proprietors of Medical and Dental Schools should:
a. Write a letter to the Executive Secretary stating their intent and provide relevant information as available.
b. On receipt, (if NUC has no obvious reasons to disqualify the application), they would be sent a copy of the BMAS for MBBS/BDS and advised firmly to ensure that they are strictly complied with.
c. The setting up of medical schools is not an emergency exercise. To this end, prospective proprietors must own and have in place (prior to a request for a Resource Verification), a fully functional and well run tertiary type hospital.
In the circumstance of the above not being in place, consideration for an affiliation with a tertiary government owned institution may be given only when the said university owns a medical institution fully functional with a minimum of 150 beds and a rural health medical unit. (See Appendix 4 of the BMAS).
d. APre-clinical Accreditation would be expected to take place within two years of a positive Resource Verification.
Students can only sit for the second MBBS professional examination (Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry) when they have a successful preclinical accreditation. The preclinical accreditation would, amongst others, concentrate largely on the Department of Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Pharmacology and to a lesser extent, Community Health. All evaluated departments must have the minimum requirements in terms of academic staff, non academic staff and laboratory facilities. (See Appendix 3 of the BMAS)
e. The Commission has now approved a Clinical Accreditation expected to take place within twelve months of a successful preclinical accreditation. Subsequent to that, a reaccreditation exercise will take place every five years.
2. With respect to established medical schools, (and irrespective of their accreditation status), it should be noted that only institutions that (by the deadline of March 20th, 2016) have requested and obtained formal approval from the National Universities Commission for a re-evaluation based on the following considerations would be allowed to admit students into the MBBS/BDS programmes from the 2016/2017 academic year:
a. All Medical and Dental schools must have an approved, and appropriately utilized, Clinical Skills/Simulation centre.
b. Ensure strict adherence to the proper use of the course system for all approved programmes in Nigerian Universities. The implication of the above is that a particular programme (subject) is taught not only broken into cluster units of 1-4 but also have the components of university supervised examinations. For clarity, current end of posting examinations (practiced by some medical/dental schools) that neither have units allocated nor follow the standards of a University examination, do not conform to the Minimum Academic Standards as established by the National Universities Commission.
c. Universities are strongly urged to immediately review their current methods of teaching medical and dental students to include more tutorials, self study group teaching, use of IT in the delivery of courses and simulation/competency based evaluations that must be signed by a lecturer not below the status of a senior lecturer. It must be noted that the confirmation of a successful simulation/competency based evaluation should be a mandatory requirement before the students are eligible to sit for the various professional/sessional examinations
All Universities were advised to set in motion the machinery to achieve all of the above.
Jude Chiedu,
Reporting for Medicalworld Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Law Graduate Shares Sultry Photo To Celebrate Her Call To Bar / How Your Temperament Affects Your Career Choice And General Performance. / Janet John, 23-Year-Old Soldier Who Has Won Heart Of Online Users

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.