Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? (740 Views)

ASUU Strike: Imsu ASUU Commences Strike / JUSUN Suspends Strike In Federal Courts / ASUU Strike Commence In Lautech? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by Opiti99: 1:50pm On Jul 08, 2013
It is no longer news that the Academic Union of Universities ASUU has since last Monday embarked on one week warning strike, of which they have already threatened to turn it into indefinite or total strike, if the government failed to yield to their demands of fulfilling the payment of Academic Earned Allowance (AEA). Which is ordinarily believed to form the component of the 2009 agreement the FG signed with the union.

Come to think of it, it is no doubt that ASUU posses the right to claim their entitlements from the government. But the question are, whose interest are they fighting for? Should their fight for personal interest be made to affect the lives of the students? Why should the fate of a future generation be determined by the selfish interest of a group. I believe it is the right time for the union to adopt other measures in resolving their differences with the government rather than mortgaging the future of Nigerian youth for their selfish gain. In your opinion, whose interest is ASUU strike?
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by jerusalem101: 2:14pm On Jul 08, 2013
For real the whole essence of this strike is undermining the hope of Nigerians in the already battered Educational system that have dropped beyond pitiable stage, just for selfish interest at the detriment of the common Nigerians students..... cause to be candid the particular strike can't win the sympathy of a well informed Nigerian who judgement of issues isn't base on one form of sentiment or the other.
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by bubadaniel13: 2:58pm On Jul 08, 2013
I don't no for this ASUU oh, since i was a child in the early 90s during the military era,ASUU has been using strike as a tool, i could vividly remember the former Head of State Sani Abatch blessed memory once said that who is ASUU dissolved, no doubt strike is a way of getting attention and the last resort when negotiations fail. But the undertone behind ASUU strike has always been monetary, selfish and have no interest of the Nigerian students, as far as i am concern ASUU is a just a misguided Association whose interests is their stomach
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by Camilia247: 4:30pm On Jul 08, 2013
their selfish interest ofcourse,they don't even care about the education standard in Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by musiwa29: 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2013
the state of education in Nigeria is so bad. ASUU is standing on moral ground. If ASUU dont go on strike. They will not fix it. the only people that can make them fix education in nigeria is ASUU. Only ASUU can force Jonathan to fix the schools. All over nigeria. All primary and secondary now sit on the floor.
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by bubadaniel13: 4:44pm On Jul 08, 2013
musiwa29: the state of education in Nigeria is so bad. ASUU is standing on moral ground. If ASUU dont go on strike. They will not fix it. the only people that can make them fix education in nigeria is ASUU. Only ASUU can force Jonathan to fix the schools. All over nigeria. All primary and secondary now sit on the floor.
Agreed ASUU is right in seeking redress, but we must aware that the ASUU demand is not a new phenomenon, to be fair to the GEJ'S administration, it has experience lesser strikes of ASUU,I think in th overall interest of the nation, the union should call of the industrial action, negotiations and compromises are by of life...we will get there gradually.
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by BeraBera(f): 5:18pm On Jul 08, 2013
I just heard that the Minister of Education has called on ASUU to suspend the strike. It seems the Federal Government has stepped in to address their concerns. I just hope they would consider the plight of the students and the image/ standard of the country's education sector and call of the strike. There are better ways to fight for your rights and make your point. You don't need to jeopardize the country's education sector (which is even in need of serious intervention) to ask for money from the FG.
Re: ASUU Strike: In Whose Interest? by ovienita(m): 6:38pm On Jul 08, 2013
ASUU will not pick that call

(1) (Reply)

River Crises: How I Was Attacked – Chinda / BREAKING NEWS! One Of The Igbo Deportees From Lagos Is Dead. / NSA Harvesting Hundreds Of Millions Of Personal Email Contact Lists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.