Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

ASUP Set To Call Off Strike - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUP Set To Call Off Strike (25291 Views)

ASUP Finally Decides To Call Off Strike As ASUU Snubs Committee On Education / BREAKING News~ASUU Calls Off Strike. / ASUU And ASUP Strike: How Have You Been Spending Your Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by ishmael(m): 3:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
spiritfada: National President of the  Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics,  ASUP,  Dr  Chibuzor Asumogba has said that the 73-day old strike embarked on by his union will be called off in two weeks time.

This was even as the President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Dr Nasir Isa Fagge told Vanguard that the  10-day-old  varsity lecturers strike would continue.

Asumogba,  in an interview with Vanguard after the meeting with the Joint National Assembly Committees on Education, indications emerged that the Federal Government would accede to their demands.

He said: “Our meeting with the Senate Committee on Education was successful. There was an agreement to meet our demands in the next two weeks as the request will be presented to President Goodluck Jonathan for his approval.”

He said that the Senate  Committee Chaired by Senator Uche Chukwumerije however, pleaded that the union should call-off their strike and give it some time to convey their demands to the President.

Asumogba who noted that he cannot unilaterally call off the strike based on government’s promise added, “We will determine when to call off our industrial action after our NEC meeting slated in two weeks.”

According to him,  ASUP demands waiting for presidential approval include; implementation of the Consolidated Polytechnics and Colleges of Education Academic Staff Salary Structure, the Consolidated Polytechnic and Colleges of Education Academic Staff Salary Structure (CONPCASS), package, the appointment of the governing council and the issuance of the White Paper on same.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/asup-set-to-call-off-strike/
These poly lecturers are funny. I thought removing the discrimination against HND certificate and establishment of a national polytechnics commission were the foremost reasons for embarking on the strike? It's money that is their priority. Na wa for Nigeria.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2013
musiwa7: grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO5FblPrIFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVr8uDiVThU

You just posted a useless video of Ibadan and you are laughin abi?
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Onyiclassic(f): 3:15pm On Jul 10, 2013
magarito: @onyiclassic wic skul are u?

i rep fedpoly Oko
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Onyiclassic(f): 3:17pm On Jul 10, 2013
spiritfada: i Rep Fed poly Oko #The Polytechnic of the Moment!

yap,polytechnic of d moment
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by touchplay(m): 3:25pm On Jul 10, 2013
spiritfada: i Rep Fed poly Oko #The Polytechnic of the Moment!
y is Dis one naaw telling us ? No b ur mates dey harvard n oxford ni? Dem neva tAlk ? U cm here dey open mouth.oko ! Oko ! Peeps in federal skul neva brag na u...oga oko,okpo !
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by chocolateberry(f): 3:27pm On Jul 10, 2013
ishmael: These poly lecturers are funny. I thought removing the discrimination against HND certificate and establishment of a national polytechnics commission were the foremost reasons for embarking on the strike? It's money that is their priority. Na wa for Nigeria.
I thought as much o.Dat means dey embark on d strike 4 dere own reason.It's a pity we'r d ones dat suffered.;-(;-(
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
touchplay: y is Dis one naaw telling us ? No b ur mates dey harvard n oxford ni? Dem neva tAlk ? U cm here dey open mouth.oko ! Oko ! Peeps in federal skul neva brag na u...oga oko,okpo !

I have your medicine, guess u need to visit a Psychiatric hospital....
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by chocolateberry(f): 3:32pm On Jul 10, 2013
spiritfada: Yes ooo, but 2weeks for me is a bit too long! I wish it was tomorrow!
I wish 2 leave 4 skul 2day...D 2 weeks looks longer dan normal.I just hope dey kip 2 dere words.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Horlawoomey(m): 3:35pm On Jul 10, 2013
I thought so too, but poly student should not panic, we can take our destiny into our hand and stop waiting for government to give us job, we can create ours too. . . I rep Kwara Poly.
ishmael: These poly lecturers are funny. I thought removing the discrimination against HND certificate and establishment of a national polytechnics commission were the foremost reasons for embarking on the strike? It's money that is their priority. Na wa for Nigeria.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 10, 2013
chocolateberry:
I wish 2 leave 4 skul 2day...D 2 weeks looks longer dan normal.I just hope dey kip 2 dere words.
Perhaps it should be used to prepare for resumption in 2weeks time
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by megajay1(m): 4:17pm On Jul 10, 2013
Afo sagbu kwee ha dia!
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Nazirano(m): 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2013
Frm wat i just read, Asup re nt plannin on callin off d strike, bt dey re meetin nxt 2wks to decide wen 2 call off, nd dey re nt fools y do u tink dey choose to meet nxt 2wks wen d house of rep will b sndin d agreement to d president for approval, or did everybdy fail to read d part dat says dat dey cant call off base on d FG promise, datz to tell u dat if d president dont approve, den d strike continues, so dnt strt celebratin nw.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by AdeojoFolukeC(f): 5:01pm On Jul 10, 2013
ASUP should end dis strike o...I can't wait to graduate.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by ishmael(m): 5:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
Mr. Script:
No comment about Discrimination of Poly student
Just watch and see how this will end. From the look of things the lecturers are on strike for their own financial benefits, and not because they want FG to remove the discrimination against the poly HND certificate and make polytechnics centres of excellence for technological knowledge. If that's the case NAPS should also organise their own protest against the lecturers for greed and selfishness.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by chiboy429(m): 6:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
It is generally agreed that education plays a great role in anynation socio-political developmentand good economic growth.Other nations of the global community pays an urgent attention to her educational sector because of the importances of it to the national development .The question here ishow is our educational system in nigeria ,we are crying out that theeducational system we have is falling with rapid gravity ,instead of the government at all levels to come to the solution of this long devastating problem ,they are rather paying lip service to the situation at hand .We are talking of ASUP ongoing strike ,looking for a way to handle the situation now have we buffered a solution to it?. Instead ASUU also embarked on indefinite strike over the federal government failure to implement the memorandum of understanding as agreed to the monthly paymentof lecturers EARN allowanceof N12,500.The strike embarked by ASUUw was due to the failure on the part of the federal government to fulfill the agreement made ,looking at the situation you find out that government just promises but fail to fulfill them .Today we seek admission overseas ,why ? To get a better education forgeting that these countries invested and paid attention to the problem facing the education system before we were attracted ,its a know fact that a gold when raw will not be accepted by any body but after passing through thorough purification and refining became what it is that people now pay any dime to acquire.what are we saying in essence ,we are saying that if we dont start now and refine our educational system ,it will keep on diminishing .Why are leaders paying deaf ears maybe due to the fact that ,going to the records 65 percent of the students going overseas are children of senators, ministers,governors,councilors,chairmen ,lecturers and VCs.The reason been that they have the manpower and funds to sponsor their wards to any know institution in the world but today the average masses,parents and guardians are crying out to the government to look in to the problem facing the system not minding where their wards are schooling .No doubt and why should there be doubt that the current strike will force many youths to one unlawful act or the other to add to the current insecurity problem in the country thereby dis-stabilising our vision 20 2020 goal.As people with spiritof love and unity ,we are beckoning on the government to address these issues because time wasted can never be regained ,the sooner its resolved the better it becomes.source http://enews.com.ng/the-state-of-nigeria-education-system-as-ASUU-asup-continues-strike/#.Ud2SxF18uo8

1 Like

Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Chimoski87(m): 7:30pm On Jul 10, 2013
I don't even understand these guys at all. I though the main bone of contention should have been resolving the B.sc/ HND dichotomy? Well in Nigeria, people are mostly interested about their interest than others. How I wish Poly students will look into this and take the bull by the horn themselves. Aluta Continua, Victora Acerta
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by julinz(f): 8:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
thought so too
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Osmai: 12:43am On Jul 11, 2013
I rep federal poly unwana. Y didnt dey add d upgrading of Hnd to BT here as 1n of d Asup demands??
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 11, 2013
Bleep ASUP,Bleep FG,Bleep ASUU n Bleep National assembly because i supposed to have finished my HND by now.i rep the great federal polytechnic,Ede,Osun state..
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Jesslord: 5:31am On Jul 11, 2013
I hate ASUU,cuz she thinks she's d only preasure group in nigeria.d av actualy made it a culture 2b embarkn on strike,wat if oda pressure groups in d country shld act lyk dm?if they re mad they shld kw dat they dnt av a monopoly of madnex as a result odas re. They compare dmself wif politicians as if theres ligality in iligality,if they wana b politicians they shld join dm. One crazy tin abt ASUU is dat its members exploit students makn dm 2 live lyk bourgeoisif.txtbk is costly,they re sort wat a union.if am nigeria president i wil burn d last minute wif dm dat contain d agenda,nd i wil nt pay any dime 4 months d stay at home.nonsense exploiters dat cal itself a union wifout pity 2 their kids i.e students wasting at home wat a union.the president had made budget 4d yr nd dis issue was nt included,should he do magic nd bring d money, their nonesense insatiable chairman shld write 2 senate 4 suplimentary budget, daz ma advice for d group of theives,selfish nd dullards dat call itself ASUU.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by bsquare18(f): 6:28am On Jul 11, 2013
caseless: keep quiet! i pray this should not extend to ASUU and u are here posting this comment. becareful!
wich 1 be d kip quiet...is it d universities fault dat d poly is stil on strike?y du u want us 2spend 70days as u guyz don spend? Abeg oo ASUU pls cal off dis strike as soon as possible
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Ebyce(f): 7:43am On Jul 11, 2013
I rept FED POLY IDAH KOGI STATE.Plz let them call off am tryed ooo
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by julinz(f): 8:43am On Jul 11, 2013
Horlawoomey: I thought so too, but poly student should not panic, we can take our destiny into our hand and stop waiting for government to give us job, we can create ours too. . . I rep Kwara Poly.
nice one...that's the best(create ours)than sit around and keep waiting for the government"hell no"they don't give a shit about us,but what hurts me most is that thousands of those in government went to polytechnic,and still they don't care one bit....Rep fed poly oko
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by kayultimate(m): 8:45am On Jul 11, 2013
na wa for ASUP o. So na because of money una dey strike mtcheww! Tot itz for hnd discrimination
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Mospring(m): 8:48am On Jul 11, 2013
ASUU cum asup! nonetheless! on ASUU decisions i await! confirm
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Evablazze(m): 9:06am On Jul 11, 2013
Wat all dis crap, how abt d B,tech approval
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by mathew4real: 10:06am On Jul 11, 2013
Pls do ooo cos i nid my transcript.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by ewoma1989(f): 12:06pm On Jul 11, 2013
i rep YABATECH!AKA YABA D GREAT! wink
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Caseless: 12:57pm On Jul 11, 2013
bsquare18: wich 1 be d kip quiet...is it d universities fault dat d poly is stil on strike?y du u want us 2spend 70days as u guyz don spend? Abeg oo ASUU pls cal off dis strike as soon as possible
i'm also a university student and the ASUU strike affects me too. read my post again and u'l see i was tellin him not to pray or call for a quick 'call-off'.....cos if i go back school for this fasting, my own don finish. i wan make we rest small abeg.
Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Caseless: 1:01pm On Jul 11, 2013
ewoma1989: i rep YABATECH!AKA YABA D GREAT! wink
we nor de doubt u.

1 Like

Re: ASUP Set To Call Off Strike by Caseless: 1:04pm On Jul 11, 2013
Evablazze: Wat all dis crap, how abt d B,tech approval
b-tech? u sure say even dem approve am, e go affect una wey de d system now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SSANU Joins ASUU To Reject IPPIS / 24-year-old Beauty Queen Obiamaka Enweluzor Sends Twin Orphans Back To School / Strike Continues As ASUU NEC Fails To Suspend Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.