Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,112 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? (1330 Views)

Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 / All GO's & Religious Leaders Must Go To Prison — Pastor Tunde Bakare / Noise Pollution: Religious Leaders Deny Knowledge Of Approved Decibel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 17, 2013
Reyginus: What do you call facts? Your hypermyopia to dismiss what you do not understand, that is.
Do you really want to debate?

My op has out bound links to defend the points. You are the one not being serious. State what you feel is wrong with the op or gerrout!
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

My op has out bound links to defend the points. You are the one not being serious. State what you feel is wrong with the op or gerrout!
It is not just stating the loopholes that bothers me.
My problem is, how with an illogical authority you will wave it aside.
Do you submit to logic alone as our working tool?
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 17, 2013
Reyginus: It is not just stating the loopholes that bothers me.
My problem is, how with an illogical authority you will wave it aside.
Do you submit to logic alone as our working tool?

wink
No.....I use God as my reasoning.

Keep asking silly questions
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:29pm On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

He can't help it. It's like every other key on his keyboard is a "?".
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jul 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

No.....I use God as my reasoning.

Do we proceed then?
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 17, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

He can't help it. It's like every other key on his keyboard is a "?".
Advocate!
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 17, 2013
Reyginus: Do we proceed then?

proceed
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by ATMC(f): 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2013
@op i disagree with you on 'a fertilized egg being a potential human' because, an egg is fertilized by d sperm...and sperm has 100 percent that which is required to make a human out of the ordinary egg hence, it can be said that because the sperm is from a human being (a man) it is human 100 percent even before fertilizing d egg. So aborting a baby is actually killing. And another thing is dt even if a foetus is a potential human being, won't it be unkind to deny a potential human being d opportunity to be a human being?
Instead of legalizing abortion, i think we should stress d importance of d use of condom. Abstinence won't prevent unwanted pregnancy because s.ex is a natural necessity and abstinence is not easy.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:17pm On Jul 17, 2013
Reyginus: Advocate!

na me, na me.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 17, 2013
ATMC: @op i disagree with you on 'a fertilized egg being a potential human' because, an egg is fertilized by d sperm...and sperm has 100 percent that which is required to make a human out of the ordinary egg hence, it can be said that because the sperm is from a human being (a man) it is human 100 percent even before fertilizing d egg. So aborting a baby is actually killing. And another thing is dt even if a foetus is a potential human being, won't it be unkind to deny a potential human being d opportunity to be a human being?
Instead of legalizing abortion, i think we should stress d importance of d use of condom. Abstinence won't prevent unwanted pregnancy because s.ex is a natural necessity and abstinence is not easy.

So every sper.m one wastes is killing a human? Nonsense.

You have two rights. The rights of the mother and the right of the child (who is still in the womb and still a potential human). If the mother will die at childbirth, we put the rights of the mother first. Think about hat

Yes the use of condom should be advocated. That will reduce pregnancy and hence the overall abortion numbers.

But condoms are not 100% effevctive.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by MrTroll(m): 10:14am On Jul 18, 2013
Let me for once make a sensible contribution to this topic...
Logicboy03: A week ago, I saw this written in a catholic church bulletin;

-Dont commit abortion
I think this is a grey area. For me I think abortion should be made legal BUT with some statutory conditions attached. I work as a medical practitioner here in Nigeria and it is quite worrisome the rate of unplanned pregnancies that we come across on daily basis, from teenage girls, mature ladies and even married women. Abortion right now is illegal(?) in Nigeria but it is an open secret that most doctors perform it routinely especially the ones in relatively small establishments and it is quite dangerous because they do not observe proper sanitary conditions and their methods are usually cruel and excruciating. I think if the government legalises it, the present situation we find ourselves in will change because at the very least people will know not to patronise quacks in the middle of the night and save themselves from unnecessary danger. My recommendations:
1) It should be legalised
2) Only well equipped and standard hospitals should be given the license to practice it.
3) The woman in question must have the consent of her husband if married, or her spouse if unmarried. In the case of unavailability of either due to r.ape or backyard boyfriend grin, the age of the woman must be put into consideration to assess her maturity and ability to handle the situation.
3a) in the case of an under aged woman, the woman must have the consent of her parents or guardian.(No backyard abortions allowed)
3b) in a mature independent woman, other options should be advised, eg motherless homes, adoption etc.
4) In cases of emergency, eg ectopic pregnancy with bleeding, the consent of the mother must be had before proceeding. If she's unable to, then the situation should be assessed according to a risk/benefit ratio with the life of the mother of paramount importance.
5) Sex Education is important, very very important. This cannot be overemphasized. Countless times have I encountered underage girls who didn't think that sex for the first time can get you pregnant. Sad but true.
In summary, no woman should be forced to birth a baby she's unable or unwilling to cater for.

-Dont use contraceptives and condoms
Nonsense! Not worth a response.

-Dont engage in premarital s.ex
according to the holy book. But sadly that's a silly expectation in this day and age. Sex Education is key. In fact why should two mature consenting adults not have sex? Can anybody give me a reasonable answer

-The child in the womb is a human being from the moment of conception
I don't think so. But the question is, when does a fertilised egg start being a human? Is it at the point where he/she can at least live outside the body of its mum? Say with the help of incubators and all sorts? I'll go with logicboy here and say at the moment of conception, it is a potential human. I'm open to debate on this...

-Abortion takes a life, therefore it is murder
this is a fallacy. Not all taking of lives are termed murder. All this churches and their propaganda sef. Smh!
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Kay17: 11:06am On Jul 18, 2013
I don't understand why Catholics want to legislate Judeo - Christian morality! Laws must have a good degree of practicality. It wld be absurd to legislate for abstinence, to criminalise the use of contraceptives, to criminalise abortion!
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by MrTroll(m): 11:39am On Jul 18, 2013
Kay 17: I don't understand why Catholics want to legislate Judeo - Christian morality! Laws must have a good degree of practicality. It wld be absurd to legislate for abstinence, to criminalise the use of contraceptives, to criminalise abortion!
as in eh! And then they wonder why people see them as hypocrites! Smdh.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 13, 2013
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Ukutsgp(m): 2:18pm On Nov 13, 2013
I dnt blame u, cos if ur mother had aborted u, u will not be talking this thrash.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
Ukuts gp: I dnt blame u, cos if ur mother had aborted u, u will not be talking this thrash.

What an immature and silly thing to say.
Re: Re; Abortion Debate- Should lawmakers/religious leaders support abortion? by Ukutsgp(m): 2:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

What an immature and silly thing to say.
really?

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Rapture Dream: A Warning / A Prayer / Can One Have Sex During Fasting? / My Visit To HEAVEN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.