Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,551 members, 7,955,052 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:29 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (520769 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 9:59am On Oct 11, 2013
Amefrica: Hi VO! Should a VO's mood determine the application of an applicant ?

Cuz i've seen a case where a VO said to a guy that "you are pissing me off" The VO asked ''why are you going to this school ?" and the VO cut in more than twice wen the guy was talking about the school, and the VO was like ''don't give me rehearsed answers" when the guy did not rehearse anything..

And the VO later denied him. This might be, due to the fact VO thought he was saying rehearsed answers and told him point blank "you are pissing me off".. Which is uncalled for.

I agree that telling an applicant "You are pissing me off" is uncalled for, and I apologize on behalf of my officers. I will bring this up sternly at our next staff meeting. It is not at all the type of interaction that I would hope would be characteristic of a Consular officer.

Now, I have to admit that if I think someone is lying to me, or if someone gets hostile or insulting at the window, sometimes I get angry, even though of course ideally emotions shouldn't be a part of our adjudications at all. (When I REALLY get angry is when an applicant gets hostile with my staff!!! Be nice to my staff. They work hard.) (But of course we should also be nice to the applicants, even when we have to deny their applications.) When we do get in bad moods, which does happen, the general guidance is to walk away from the window and get ourselves in a better mood before we interview anyone else. Customer service is important to us... although, sometimes, we fall short.

And we do cut people off if the interviews are running long and we feel we're getting rehearsed or deliberately obfuscating responses. We try to do that somewhat politely, however. Again, sometimes we're clumsy. We'll try to do better.

So, thank you for passing that along, and I will bring it up as a teaching moment in our next staff meeting. I promise that if a manager ever heard someone say "You are pissing me off" to an applicant, the manager would say, "You. In my office. Now."
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 10:20am On Oct 11, 2013
feb242: Hi VO, thank you for your correspondence, it has been very informative. I'm about to Frontload a K-1 visa petition because it has be advised that high fraud consulates require additional proof of a bonafide relationship with the initial I-129f (i.e. chat logs, emails, call logs, detailed & thorough declaration of how we met for #34a, letters, and maybe even notarized letters from both our parents verifying our relationship is real) besides the mandatory proof of meeting within 2 years. There is a never ending conversation about to frontload or not to frontload, and if you do frontload, what is the appropriate amount of documents you would like to see from the petitioner?

Ohhhhhhhhhh please don't frontload. When we get a great big fat frontloaded case, my first thought is, "This is either going to be really good or really bad." Some people frontload because they really do have tons of genuine evidence and want to share it, and others frontload because the relationship isn't bona fide and they want to smother us in paper so we won't notice. (Also, notarized letters from other people attesting to the veracity of the relationship are not useful at all. I can make you a really nice-looking one in about 15 minutes right now, including a "stamp" from a "notary." )

We are much more concerned with the beneficiary's ability to credibly discuss the relationship than we are in the documents.

That said, for people reading this who have already frontloaded, don't worry, we won't hold it against you. We will just make sad muttering sounds about trees being killed before we call you to the window.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by shaddy78: 10:28am On Oct 11, 2013
Dear VO I quite appreciate you. You are the BEST.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ikjay: 11:49am On Oct 11, 2013
V.O, Lagos embassy would have those income tax statements already, is that right? My Fiancee Dad works for the United States Government Military, i think you all should know him cos he do come to Nigeria.
i.kjay:
My fiancee ask an immigration lawyer there in the States, and he said as long she had already did send the income tax statements to USCIS before so it would have been mail to Lagos Consular embassy so you they have those document already...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by juliking: 12:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
The consula officer,
I applied to take my daughter to disney land for her birthday on 26st of November. i went for interview and i was denied visa under section 214b and the questions that i was asked are: where are you going, what do you do, how long have you been working, have i traveled out of the country before, is she my first daughter, how long do i intend to stay,are you married, what dose your husband do and why is he not traveling with me?
Please advise, do i reaply with my husband now? because i have already planned my vacation, could there be another opportunity?.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
i.kjay:
V.O, Lagos embassy would have those income tax statements already, is that right? My Fiancee Dad works for the United States Government Military, i think you all should know him cos he do come to Nigeria.

You're right, we likely already have the tax statements if they've already been submitted with the petition. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
grin This is cool. If you were to be interviewing most applicants, they would not have issues..

I appreciate ur responses.. It is sweet of you and you have a great heart..

Now to my own issues.
I was denied Earlier this month for a reason i can't phantom till now. But i'm going back this month's ending..

"What has changed ??"
1. I got an updated new I20 the former one looks rough and lil dirty due to the handlings at the embassy.
2. I have my TOEFL result with me now.
3. My mum is the one sponsoring me now. Which means i'll be going with my mum's bank statement and affidavit of sponsorship. This is because my dad got into a contract last week worth millions of naira. Though i used my dad as the sponsor at the former interview.
Note: My I20 states family funds..

What do you think ??
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
juliking: The consula officer,
I applied to take my daughter to disney land for her birthday on 26st of November. i went for interview and i was denied visa under section 214b and the questions that i was asked are: where are you going, what do you do, how long have you been working, have i traveled out of the country before, is she my first daughter, how long do i intend to stay,are you married, what dose your husband do and why is he not traveling with me?
Please advise, do i reaply with my husband now? because i have already planned my vacation, could there be another opportunity?.

Good afternoon,

You're free to apply again, but the officer will wonder why you qualify for the visa now if you didn't qualify at your recent unsuccessful interview. Based on what you've written, I can't say why you didn't qualify; but if you can't show the officer that something has changed, or that the previous officer was not privy to a significant piece of information, it's likely that you won't receive a visa.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
Amefrica: grin This is cool. If you were to be interviewing most applicants, they would not have issues..

I appreciate ur responses.. It is sweet of you and you have a great heart..

Now to my own issues.
I was denied Earlier this month for a reason i can't phantom till now. But i'm going back this month's ending..

"What has changed ??"
1. I got an updated new I20 the former one looks rough and lil dirty due to the handlings at the embassy.
2. I have my TOEFL result with me now.
3. My mum is the one sponsoring me now. Which means i'll be going with my mum's bank statement and affidavit of sponsorship. This is because my dad got into a contract last week worth millions of naira. Though i used my dad as the sponsor at the former interview.
Note: My I20 states family funds..

What do you think ??

Hmmmmmm. It is hard to get a visa when you have such a recent refusal. But I guess it's worth a try. I really can't tell, based on what you've written, what the outcome will be... but I wish you the best of luck and hope you keep us posted.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
Amefrica: grin This is cool. If you were to be interviewing most applicants, they would not have issues..

Just for the record, my refusal rate is totally in line with that of the other officers. smiley Maybe even a little higher, because I love handling fraudulent cases...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
Just letting you know, I will likely be off-line until next Thursday. Monday is a U.S. holiday (Columbus Day) and of course Tuesday and Wednesday we will also be closed, in observance of Eid-el-Kabir.

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone! Thank you for all the positive energy and constructive feedback! cool

2 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by dmoney104(m): 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for d responds V O , pls wat do u think , shud I try again with same skul or change d skul after writin toefl. Pls ur advise is much needed.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Okontami: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Just for the record, my refusal rate is totally in line with that of the other officers. smiley Maybe even a little higher, because I love handling fraudulent cases...
Hmmmmm..Stick and carrot approach. We will apply with open mind whatever the case.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
cry Have a nice and beautiful weekend!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Walspring: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
VisaOfficer: Just letting you know, I will likely be off-line until next Thursday. Monday is a U.S. holiday (Columbus Day) and of course Tuesday and Wednesday we will also be closed, in observance of Eid-el-Kabir.

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone! Thank you for all the positive energy and constructive feedback! cool

Thanks alot for putting us through and i personally appreciate all your efforts. May God bless you and your family abundantly.

Have a pleasant and blissful holiday!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by evangelbenu(m): 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Please consular Officer. I'm a Nigerian, living in Nigeria. But there is this woman from Oklahoma, we are seriously in love with each other and planning to get married, we found each other on online dating site. But I'm totally confused because of US immigration law, please can you advise me how we can get married and live with each other, I love her so much and she loves me. I know if it turns to works out I will automatically become US citizen, and she as well become Nigeria citizen . Please what should I do to wed her.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Ermo71: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
Dear VO,
Thank you so much for your wise counsel. Honestly I decided 2 come back home. Like I said the trouble was just too much. I had started d process 2 legalize my stay one year b4 my green card was too expire. To get d tax return forms took abt 6mths instead of d uSual 60days. I had had a bad marriage and d divorce was not without anImosity so asking my ex-husband 4 help was outside d question. Besides I was receiving minimum wage, no family or friends. America wasn't interesting tO me, so I left . I had left a better life in Nigeria than I was experiencing in d US. One thing I've come 2 know is when ur honest with d VOs they still won't believe u. My marriage was short-lived, it didn't work out, we were not happy and I just couldn't bear 2 continue b/c I want green card 2 live in America. Now 2 get d VOs 2 believe my story. Sorry for my long epistle. Thank u again.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by odewenwa: 4:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
VisaOfficer: Just letting you know, I will likely be off-line until next Thursday. Monday is a U.S. holiday (Columbus Day) and of course Tuesday and Wednesday we will also be closed, in observance of Eid-el-Kabir.

Thank you so much sir for your input I was able to send an email to the embassy yesterday and I got a response this morning(so quick!) Thanks so much sir may the good Lord continue to bless you. Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your holiday.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by srloring13: 6:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Does the same apply to a IR1/CR1 visa? There are many unfavorable opinions about the Lagos Consulate and the Visa Officers that work there. Almost all of the users of many forums highly suggest that you front load your applications with as much information and proof of relationship as much as possible because of the high rate of denials, Nigeria being considered a high fraud country, and the fact that the VO seem to love to place individuals on AP for extremely long periods of time to just prolong the agony of waiting for a decision that tends to result in the application being sent back to the U.S. There are a few favorable opinions but the unfavorable ones substantially outweigh the positives.

VisaOfficer:

Ohhhhhhhhhh please don't frontload. When we get a great big fat frontloaded case, my first thought is, "This is either going to be really good or really bad." Some people frontload because they really do have tons of genuine evidence and want to share it, and others frontload because the relationship isn't bona fide and they want to smother us in paper so we won't notice. (Also, notarized letters from other people attesting to the veracity of the relationship are not useful at all. I can make you a really nice-looking one in about 15 minutes right now, including a "stamp" from a "notary." )

We are much more concerned with the beneficiary's ability to credibly discuss the relationship than we are in the documents.

That said, for people reading this who have already frontloaded, don't worry, we won't hold it against you. We will just make sad muttering sounds about trees being killed before we call you to the window.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Neldre(m): 6:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
VisaOfficer:

You have my word that we will not seize or cancel his visa, if the only issue is an incorrect date of birth. Given the circumstances, it doesn't seem to be material misrepresentation. He should contact us so we can help him recreate the visa package. We would also love to have the name of the agent, but I'll understand if he doesn't feel comfortable sharing it.

great news, sir. He will mail the embassy but if he is to do that, what should be the subject of the message as well as the content of the message so as not to go astray? Thank you, sir
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 6:11am On Oct 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Just explain to us that it's an error and the authority has refused to change it. You won't be the first applicant that that has happened to...
ok I will bring an affidavit, birth certificate and other supporting documents along, besides how do I explain this at the American border? Would the embassy give me a note?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 12, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Just explain to us that it's an error and the authority has refused to change it. You won't be the first applicant that that has happened to...
ok I will bring an affidavit stating the dob on my passport is an error, including my birth certificate and other supporting documents along, besides how do I explain this at the American border? Would the embassy give me a note?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Bubu01: 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hello Visaofficer
Thanks for the good consul here. I personally have some question which I need both you professional and personal opinion. Got married to a USC. We’ve known each other for more than 3year. She's someone that believe in family and since we’ve been dating, she has always asked me to visit her parent including her grandpa which she dearly love but stays in the Caribbean. She’s also my interpreter whenever I speck with them or through my sister in-law.
Recently, my sister in-law told me her dad said I should come see him. First, I was scared but later my wife told me he just want pray for us and know me better. Well!! I know my wife very well and I know where this is coming from. lol. I know she really want this so much.
HERE IS THE PROBLEM.
Most of the flight to her country of birth have stopover in USA so I need a transits Visa.
Here are my questions.
1. Can I get a transits visa without Tourist visa? Reason: I don’t intend to visit her in the state but just to pass through the airport. Also, we have a pending USC spouse petition which only God knows when we going to be done with it. My plan is to visit them when I arrive in the state but no one knows when that will be.
2. I’m not a FREQUENT traveler. Only traveled to South Africa last December which was fun and we already saving for another fabulous experience this December. Question, Can this affect my chance?
3. We got a swift reply from her parent Caribbean embassy in South Africa, And GOOD NEWS; I don’t have to apply in person. The entire requirement has been sent to me and I can forward the application to the embassy in South Africa. Means we can use the time/funds to visit the parent. How good is my chance?
My wife found another rout with KLM via Panama City which I do not require transits visa for up to 12hours before connecting with another flight to her country of birth. This expensive and the journey too long.
Please I will really appreciate your honest opinion. My wife do visit me every 3-4month here in Nigeria and we are presently working on been together here or in the states God’s willing. But the power of WHAT THE HEART WANT can never be joked with and am not sure if she will forgive me if her aging Grandpa dies without seeing me.
Honestly, I see USA Visa as a BIG MOUNTAIN TO CLIMB, with all the stress people face at the embassy before interview and fear of been rejected are two major reason why i have never applied for the past three years she have been inviting me.
Well!! both of us don't really know much about the k1/spouse visa until after her marriage.
I really need the requirement to get Transit visa without Tourist. Have checked online but all seems to be like Tourist/transit which I think will be a little bit complicated with the fact that we have a pending spouse petition.

Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by AnthonyLofty(m): 2:55pm On Oct 12, 2013
Do DV lottery new babies pay visa fee and Gc fee also?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by jemin456: 4:13pm On Oct 12, 2013
a look at this scenario, i was refused a visa to the usa in 1990, i was in js3 then and never bothered applying. i have travelled to UK 4 times, south Africa twice, Germany once and dubai once. in all these, i,'ve travelled 3ce with my whole family of 4.
we are planning on applying for us visa next year,only reason, i want to take my kids to Disney land.
the issue is when i was refused earlier, my sister was my sponsor, more like if you have any relative in the states. right now, my sister is .nt on talkin terms with me and i don't have her contact details in the states, talkless of her giving me her biodata details to feel on my form.
i can sponsor myself, via hotel booking. the question , do you have any relative that is a US citizen, what do i fill there? cos the next question will be to fill in her details which i don't have.
advise here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (66)

Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.