Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,287 members, 7,836,271 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. (852 Views)

GEJ's Govt. Better Than OBJ And PMB’s Govt. —Transparency International / Proof Of Buhari A Yaradua In Making (photos) / GEJ Is Richer Than OBJ, Abacha, Abdulsalami And Yar'adua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by Nobody: 5:37am On May 23, 2008
Former Governor of Jigawa State and member of the National Assembly Joint Committee on Constitution Review (JCCR), Senator Saminu Turaki, has canvassed tenure extension for President Umaru Musa Yar扐dua to enable his administration complete its development programmes.
His position came on the heels of assurances by the Chairman of the JCCR and Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu that the tenure of the President and governors was precluded from the outset from the amendments that would be effected in the 1999 constitution.
The move to amend the tenure of President and governors in the fifth session of the National Assembly to enable former President Olusegun Obasanjo to stay beyond May 29, 2007 was responsible for the collapse of the last constitution review.
The JCCR then headed by the former Deputy Senate President Ibrahim Mantu had proposed three terms of 12 years (four years per term) which would have taken effect under the Obasanjo administration.
But Turaki, who was alleged to have heavily funded the failed third term agenda of Obasanjo while in office as Jigawa State governor, is now canvassing two terms of 14 years (seven years per term).
He explained that the constitution amendment should be done to make the tenure of the incumbent President run for 14 years from 2007 to terminate in 2021
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=112269

Another conspiracy against the Nigerian suffer-heads (masses) is rearing it's ugly head again; this time 14 years for Yaradua in office. It's been canvassed by a man who should have been serving life sentence in Kirikiri.

This move is 10 times worst than OBJ's 3rd term plan.
Every well meaning Nigerians must go against this conspiracy by all means.
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by Tonim(f): 6:53am On May 23, 2008
Saminu Turaki is just talking nonsense. If Yar'Adull ever completes this term and gets re-elected in 2011,
the presidency is shifting south.

The South East, South South and may be Middle belt can vie for the presidency at this point.

Any Ken Nnamani fan in the house ?
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by Nobody: 7:05am On May 23, 2008
Don't forget that this is Nigeria. Before you know it, this crazy idea will begin to gain momentum.
I still believe OBJ's third term did not work because he wasn't from the north and not because we have reputable senators and reps around that period.

We will always work hard to put the idiots bringing up this kind of idea to shame.
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by McKren(m): 7:17am On May 23, 2008
Saminu Turaki obviously knows that this wont happen, if OBJ could not pull off a third term ,  3 times of Yaradua can't get tenure extension of even 3 months.

the question is what might be his basic objective

my guess is this is simply diversionary, the main target is to kill the constitutional review. I have never been in support of total review or re-writing the constitution in the first place because this simply provides our Senators the opportunity to divide themselves into regional, ethnic and religious groups and end up not getting anything done.

They should simply emphasize the adherence of the current constitution as there are a lot of human rights issues in our current constitution that is not given its full meaning.
Then areas of the constitution that has to do with transparency in Govt, economy, healthcare, education can from time to time be proposed as bills to be discussed individually. These are areas we should agree with one another regardless of tribe or religion.

This constitutional review will not get anywhere, they will waste our time, money, tv air-time and yet not achieve anything. The reason is simple, there is so much trust and empathy deficit in our country between ethnic and religious divides.
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by Tonim(f): 7:29am On May 23, 2008
nuzo:

I still believe OBJ's third term did not work because he wasn't from the north and not because we have reputable senators and reps around that period.

Yes, i agree with you on this wholeheartedly.

nuzo:

We will always work hard to put the idiots bringing up this kind of idea to shame.

It amazes me how Turaki could ever think Yar'Adull will be given the chance to rule for 14 years. What has he achieved thus far
with one year in office ?

McKren:

Saminu Turaki obviously knows that this wont happen, if OBJ could not pull off a third term , 3 times of Yaradua can't get tenure extension of even 3 months.

the question is what might be his basic objective

my guess is this is simply diversionary, the main target is to kill the constitutional review.

I think Turaki is kissing up to Yar'Adull so the EFCC would soft peddle on him. Turaki is not that bright to make a
statement like this with underlying goals of killing the constitutional review (unless someone's putting him up to it).
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by Nobody: 7:52am On May 23, 2008
@Mckren

If you think that it was only your ranting in media and my beer parlour talks that stopped the OBJ's 3rd term bid, then you have swallowed that pill of cheap propaganda.
Remember that it was mostly northerners who opposed the third term bid ( i did too). Now, are you trying to tell me that these parachute clothing, pot bellied guys who own several oil wells in the Niger Delta are the defenders of democracy?

@tonim

Don't be amazed? There are a lot of his kinds in Nigeria. They have mastered the art of playing with the minds of most gullible Nigerians.
He has a perfect but deceptive and dubious plan. If we don't stop it now, you will find out that his plans were well thought out and definitely will work out for him.
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by McKren(m): 8:50am On May 23, 2008
look for all our imperfections, somethings just wont happen in Nigeria

IBB was a Northerner, but could not last as much as he wanted, Abacha was a Northerner but could not last forever as he wanted. In fact these are Military dictators yet they could not stay longer than 8years each.

So where will Yaradua get 14 years from?

This is not about North or South, Nigeria is simply not Zimbabwe or Gabon
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by chidichris(m): 8:57am On May 23, 2008
like baba like hear and do am.
a goat will never give birth to a snake.
na so the thing dey start.
at least this will divert our attention from things of national importance.
since the birds have learnt to fly without landing, the hunters will definitely start shooting ithout guessing.
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by abdurrazaq(m): 9:14am On May 23, 2008
The Northerners will do everything within (even outside) their power to remain in the leadership rulership of Nigeria. This is definitely one of their numerous dubious moves yet to be uncovered. After the successful completion of Yar'adua (be it 2 or 3 terms) I wonder whether the Northerners will ever want to leave the throne for any NON-NORTHERNERS. Obasanjo was supported by these people (THE HAUSAS) just because Nigerians (I mean NON-NORTHERNERS) were almost going to do anything to free themselves from these MAFIANS from the North. I don't know how they are going to go about it but, I have a strong feeling that they might succeed with this new proposition, if this comes to pass then, we should brace up for another experience like we had in the days of BABANGIDA, ABACHA anc co. (As if Nigeria is even better now than then)
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by oludayo20(m): 12:36pm On May 23, 2008
unfortunately whether you like it or not ,support it or not,that's the way it's going to be,you guys should think,Here is a President who do the biddings of the Northern oligarchy with no mind of his own,a President who's been teleguided,the earlier you realize that it's not Yar'adua ruling this country the better you'll understand my point,if the powers that be says that is what they want so be it,Please realize early now that Nigeria has been hold Hostage.Please think!
Re: 14 Years For Yaradua In Aso Rock; Worst Than Obj's 3rd Term. by beystwin: 2:17pm On May 23, 2008
People are praying for Yaradua to survive his first 4 year in office without dying, you people are talking of 14 years.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State Govt. Must Be Prosecuted For These! / What Nigerians Need To Do! / The Nigerian Factor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.