Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? (2712 Views)

Fielding Jonathan, A Mistake – Dr. Raymond Dokpesi / Did Professor Osibanjo Lie On Channels TV While Clarifying Buhari's Statement? / Professor Wole Soyinka Likens President Jonathan To ‘Nebuchadnezzar’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
Did Professor Wole Soyinka just call Dame Patience Jonathan a Hippopotamus?

This is a Press Statement by Professor Wole Soyinka on the issues between himself, Patience Jonathan and other matters

In Public Interest, in order to eliminate all further distraction and enable the nation to concentrate on issues that affect the democratic pursuit, it is necessary to make the following information available:

Before the press conference held by Femi Falana and myself – that is, even before the Rivers Assembly fracas – I had been canvassed by opposing sides of the face-off, both via telephone and physically. One such visit, perhaps the most significant, was made by a Special Adviser in the presidency who outlined what can be regarded as the official rationale for the Governors’ Forum election debacle. In the process of this exchange, he did make certain complaints against Governor Rotimi Amaechi, including charges of a conflict of interests over certain resources. This was implied as the root of division between the Governors’ Forum and the Presidency.

I wrote down the details, informed the emissary that I would pass on these accusations to Governor Amaechi – which I did. That Amaechi hotly denied them and offered contradicting facts, which he urged me to verify, remained, and remains utterly irrelevant to the democratic core of the conflict – and this has been made clear to all interventionists: Keyed into this core are:

(i) the arithmetics of democracy involved in figures 16 and 19 at the time, and now, with increased confidence in impunity, the figures 27 and 5.
(ii) whether or not it is democratic , even cultured proceeding that a state governor is barred from public access anywhere within his own zone of constitutional authority, with the massive security apparatus of the centre, on behalf of an unelected individual.

Even after the Rivers crisis has been resolved, this notorious proceeding will not be permitted to fester unchallenged.

For the rest, since beneath the surface of most Nigerian conflicts will be found inordinate greed for public resources, it is perhaps pertinent to remind ourselves that Oil is not the only marvel to emerge from the Delta swamps. There are also exotic creatures – mermaids, manatees, even mammy watas and hippopotami. However, unlike crude oil, which can be refined, you can extract a hippopotamus from the swamps, but you cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus.
- Wole SOYINKA

1 Like

Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by bigt2(m): 7:09pm On Jul 17, 2013
I saw that coming! Hipopotami!! grin nice jab!
I love the way he plays with vocabulary. Just like a pro, he mentioned no name.
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by kenifeh(m): 7:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
This is the state of the Nigeria educational system. People should learn to read and understand before talking anyhow in public forums. Wole Soyinka was referring to the rich resource endowment of the Niger-Delta, and he never called Patience Jonathan a hippopotamus. Read the context in which that statement was made. He was indirectly saying that oil, which is the main issue causing the crises, is not the only rich resource of the region. People should look into the waters for solution, "the kingdom of God is within and around us".
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by PointB: 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2013
Soyinka has deployed his depth of wisdom; the acme of his professorial and literary sagacity to inform those from the 'Delta swamp' that apart from oil, the other things they are good at producing are mammy watas, manatees, hippopotami, and mermaids. I am very sure the people of 'Delta Swamps' will rejoice exceedingly at this well crafted, apt characterization of themselves by the infallible and erudite Prof. Either that or this sagacious professor just called a woman - someone's mother, a wife, a sister - hippopotami. Either way, since he is a Nobel Laureate, I must harken to say, his is right, just and honorable! He is utterly flawless, and wiser than Solomon!

Please join me in hailing Saint Soyinka!!

1 Like

Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by koruji(m): 7:36pm On Jul 17, 2013
I think you are not reading between the lines.
I am glad you couldn't decipher this because it means that Madam Jesus Christ will be spending days and nights wondering about the meaning too. GEJ started this name-calling in 2010/2011 and was promptly "rewarded" in like manner. PEJ has called Prof. Soyinka names and he has just replied her in a very tactful manner. You can take the hippopotamus out of the swamp, but cannot take the swamp out of the hippopotamus - but hippopotamus is one of the resources to emerge out the Delta grin grin grin

Aside: I have said it long ago here that GEJ is an ingrate:
Prof. Soyinka was one of the strongest advocates of the ND cause outside the Niger Delta. Until recently, Amaechi was one of the "shining" governors of PDP that made even GEJ proud. OBJ made GEJ's presidency possible, but he has been called names and casted out of PDP. Nigerians fought for GEJ, while he was cowering behind a desk in his VP house, but today he disregards us and lies to our face with reckless abandon.

kenifeh: This is the state of the Nigeria educational system. People should learn to read and understand before talking anyhow in public forums. Wole Soyinka was referring to the rich resource endowment of the Niger-Delta, and he never called Patience Jonathan a hippopotamus. Read the context in which that statement was made. He was indirectly saying that oil, which is the main issue causing the crises, is not the only rich resource of the region. People should look into the waters for solution, "the kingdom of God is within and around us".

1 Like

Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by tpia5: 7:38pm On Jul 17, 2013
like this hippopotamus?

Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by andresia(m): 7:39pm On Jul 17, 2013
And if he did?
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by koruji(m): 7:40pm On Jul 17, 2013
You always feel it when you are paid in your own coins. Where were you all this time when GEJ and PEJ were dragging the presidency of Nigeria in the mud, and calling Soyinka names. As Yorubas would say: "The axe-man is the most sensitive to the sight of an ax around his general neck area".

PointB: Soyinka has deployed his depth of wisdom; the acme of his professorial and literary sagacity to inform those from the 'Delta swamp' that apart from oil, the other things they are good at producing are mammy watas, manatees, hippopotami, and mermaids. I am very sure the people of 'Delta Swamps' will rejoice exceedingly at this well crafted, apt characterization of themselves by the infallible and erudite Prof. Either that or this sagacious professor just called a woman - someone's mother, a wife, a sister - hippopotami. Either way, since he is a Nobel Laureate, I must harken to say, his is right, just and honorable! He is utterly flawless, and wiser than Solomon!

Please join me in hailing Saint Soyinka!!
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by tpia5: 7:41pm On Jul 17, 2013
'

Ain't nottin wrong
With lovin chunky
I like em funny
I like em spunky
I like em witty
I like em smart with brains
Girl I Like your big.
What you say
Your big ol heart
What
Girl you crazy
She drive me crazy
I love my lady
She nice and shapely
She nice and spacey
Take so much space up
Like a big ol spaceship
Movin so gracious
yes
It's all in the way she moves
It's all in the way
When she do, what she do
What she do, what she do, what she do, what she do
Get it girl
Chunky
Plumpy
Chunky
Plumpy
Ain't nottin wrong
Ain't nottin wrong
Chunky
plump

1 Like

Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by tpia5: 7:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by Jakumo(m): 8:14pm On Jul 17, 2013
tpia@:
'

Ain't nottin wrong
With lovin chunky
I like em funny
I like em spunky
I like em witty
I like em smart with brains
Girl I Like your big.
What you say
Your big ol heart
What
Girl you crazy
She drive me crazy
I love my lady
She nice and shapely
She nice and spacey
Take so much space up
Like a big ol spaceship
Movin so gracious
yes
It's all in the way
When she do, what she do
What she do, what she do, what she do, what she do
Get it girl
Chunky
Plumpy
Chunky
Plumpy
Ain't nottin wrong
Ain't nottin wrong
Chunky
plump

Damn Tpia. Jay Z ain't got nothing on you. You is a stone cold rappin' muffuguh, and I mean you don't be half-steppin' with that chit. Chit is off the hook, moin.

Now, since my music tastes lean more to blues, guitar-rock and jazz, I must learn from you whether you penned the above hit rap song, or are simply quoting a song everybody but me knows about.

If you indeed wrote the above lyrics, my hat is off to you, because that is some raw talent up there ^^

I fear you o. As I dey read am, na so my foot just begin dey tap ground ka-ko-ka-ko-ka-ko, dey follow ya beat by force.
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by badassnigga(m): 11:22pm On Jul 17, 2013
I agree totally with Prof.
see presentation! one av to read between d line to actually understand.

super fat hippopotami
Re: Did Professor Wole Soyinka Just Call Dame Patience Jonathan A Hippopotamus? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 17, 2013

(1)

Stay Away From Rivers Schools, Amaechi Tells FG / Check Out This Cartoon Mocking Gov. Rochas For Loosing APC Presidential Ticket / Sheik Gumi Blasts Northern Muslims; Says They Are On "Self Anihilation" Mission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.