Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria (69105 Views)

Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / 5 Worst Degrees With Lowest potential For Employment In nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2013
This low prospect jobs are also the easiest to be admitted into at the uni. Whats d cut of mark philosophy and religious studies? The truth is that dull students right from secondary school are herded into arts and humanities cos it easier in nature(no wonder americans call it soft sciences), they eventually end up in the universities been admitted into the easiest to get departments. Such ppl also find it difficult training themselves to switch career direction after school. They eventually have to depend on who they know to secure a job that they not qualified to hold.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by AZeD1(m): 4:31pm On Jul 18, 2013
ohaleoghene:

Oops , sure u read computer science . My bad !
My first degree wasn't Computer Science but if come back to the earth again, i'll do Computer Science for my undergrad.

While i was doing my first degree, i also attended niit so i know both sides of the coin.

Now back to your claim, how can you say people who went to computer school are better than computer science graduates when you don't know any computer science graduates?

#Basic research.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by slimyem: 4:35pm On Jul 18, 2013
Mass communication shouldn't be on that list except its about mass communicators who went to school to get just a degree.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Decryptor(m): 4:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
It's not what you studied in the university but
1. How well you studied it
2. How connected you are.
I know someone who studied philosophy and yet is a bank MD today and another that studied Linguistics but works in NSCDC and her pay package is 155k per month so OP, this thread is not feasible
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 4:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
A-ZeD:

My first degree wasn't Computer Science but if come back to the earth again, i'll do Computer Science for my undergrad.

While i was doing my first degree, i also attended niit so i know both sides of the coin.

Now back to your claim, how can you say people who went to computer school are better than computer science graduates when you don't know any computer science graduates?

#Basic research.
i have known lots of ppl that studied computer sc and they don't know anything. Computer science in nigeria is a cruel joke.

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Vonwolf(m): 4:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Once again, read the poster's title. Engineering has better "Prospects". There are always exceptions, like your own case, but if a statician takes the sample space and analyze it, your psychology will still be where the OP placed it.

Btw, the reason why people look for job may not necessarily be because they had no job, but because they want a better paying job with better job security.

My friend let the his position as a process analyst in a chemical plant (producing foam) because his doctor warned him that the chemical fumes he breathes in daily is already eating up his lungs; and if he continued, the lungs will collapse in 2 yrs time.

I should advice you to go through the post once again cos I have gone through it countless times without seeing statistical analysis
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by adebisiwatch(m): 4:36pm On Jul 18, 2013
Just be serious wit whatsoever course yu re doin.yu can be  best anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 4:38pm On Jul 18, 2013
Decryptor: It's not what you studied in the university but
1. How well you studied it
2. How connected you are.
I know someone who studied philosophy and yet is a bank MD today and another that studied Linguistics but works in NSCDC and her pay package is 155k per month so OP, this thread is not feasible
those ones are the exceptions but the op is talking about the norm.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by rash47(m): 4:40pm On Jul 18, 2013
Kzinne: wat is the op talking abour? toyosi ogunseye 29 yrs old, who is the editor at sunday punch studied industrial chemistry. did she study mass comm? so dis article has got no basis. wat u study at school don't matter. how u apply and make d best use of it dat matters

That's it sir,u hit it hard. Generally people tends to relegate courses in d liberal arts nd humanities to the background,not mindful dat expert in dis field are responsible for d churning out of teachers for our primary nd sec.schools all ova d country.
In today's world there's no longer proffessionalism in career,evrytin has collapse together,the important tin is wat u bring from within.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 18, 2013
iyobs7: Hold my beer grin grin grin
Medicine
Pharmacy
Biochemistry
Dentistry angry angry angry
you so funny mbbs the best.

2 Likes

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Nosyke(m): 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2013
Chidera Favour: @op, wht of som1 dt studied any course in education lik pol. sci. Edu., economics edu., etc wht is d person's faith?

The person's faith should be in God while trusting him for a favourable fate grin grin

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 4:42pm On Jul 18, 2013
Vonwolf:

I should advice you to go through the post once again cos I have gone through it countless times without seeing statistical analysis
statistical analysis in 9ja? Even NBS data na wash. Biko save us the argument. We are all eye witnesses to the nature of the job market.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by AZeD1(m): 4:43pm On Jul 18, 2013
abouzaid: i have known lots of ppl that studied computer sc and they don't know anything. Computer science in nigeria is a cruel joke.
The bold part is the key point i.e they don't know anything. Whose fault is that?
As for computer science in Nigeria is a joke; dude you can say that for every science related course in the country.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Melancholy(m): 4:43pm On Jul 18, 2013
DEGREE2466: you are talking ur own. I have seen people who studied adult education as a course and today they are working in media house and people who study philosophy working in oil company. The point black here is that the world has no empirical formulae study whatever u can and the lord will provide
we know, that why u see companies,financial institutions sacking employees here and there due to their incapabilities.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by ximarro(m): 4:44pm On Jul 18, 2013
acaolly1: How can moderator put this piece of s**t on front page angry
Nna, i guess ur course was also listed. No vex. grin
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Vonwolf(m): 4:46pm On Jul 18, 2013
abouzaid: This low prospect jobs are also the easiest to be admitted into at the uni. Whats d cut of mark philosophy and religious studies? The truth is that dull students right from secondary school are herded into arts and humanities cos it easier in nature(no wonder americans call it soft sciences), they eventually end up in the universities been admitted into the easiest to get departments. Such ppl also find it difficult training themselves to switch career direction after school. They eventually have to depend on who they know to secure a job that they not qualified to hold.

You need more enlightenment bro!

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by kitakoli(m): 4:48pm On Jul 18, 2013
legal studies grin grin grin
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Nosyke(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2013
Medicine
Pharmacy
Biochemistry

If I catch you ehn, grin grin grin grin

.............pathways of life...........

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by adebisiwatch(m): 4:50pm On Jul 18, 2013
I studied psychology,and am wrk wit an oil company here in nigeria and am in for ma master!! OAU to UNILAG. So na God oooooo. Forget wetin yu read ooo...it is wt u can offer ooooooo.

3 Likes

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2013
Vonwolf:

You need more enlightenment bro!
oga anyi, pls enlighten me if u know, minus that ur the ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Vonwolf(m): 4:56pm On Jul 18, 2013
abouzaid: statistical analysis in 9ja? Even NBS data na wash. Biko save us the argument. We are all eye witnesses to the nature of the job market.

We can start the statistics from here, how many Engineers commented on this thread to say about their career and how many have you seen from the aforementioned disciplines?
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 5:01pm On Jul 18, 2013
Vonwolf:

We can start the statistics from here, how many Engineers commented on this thread to say about their career and how many have you seen from the aforementioned disciplines?
i studied geography and yrs after none of my classmates have secured a job yrs after service yet all my engineering copper friends quickly secured job. That is my own experience and statistics and i have many more like it to share.ighota go? Udo chia.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by ngoziigwe(f): 5:02pm On Jul 18, 2013
Wht of som1 dt studied any course in education lik pol. sci. Edu., economics edu., etc wht is d person's faith?

That is double honour B.Sc {Ed}
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by danny301: 5:02pm On Jul 18, 2013
sinmisolaoluwa: IT IS NT EVEN ABOUT WHAT U STUDY IN SCHOOL THAT MATTERS,WHAT MATTERS IS THE FAVOUR OF GOD. EVEN IF YOU STUDY FRENCH OR WHT HAV YOU...GOD WILL STILL FIX U UP. THE PRESENT SITUATION IN OUR COUNTRY TODAY DOESN'T MEAN IF U ARE A GRADUATE OF MASS COMM,U WILL DEFINATELY WORK IN A MEDIA HOUSE. I HAVE SEEN ENGINEERS WORKING IN BANK AS CASHIER,ETC...I EVEN KNOW AN ACCOUNTANT WEY NO COUNT ANYTHN,YET A FRENCH GRADUATE IS COMFORTALY WORKING IN A REPUTABLE COMPANY. IT ALL DEPENDS ON HW FAR YOU CAN TRAIN YRSELF.
AS FOR ME,AM A MASS COMMUNICATION STUDENT,BT I FOUND MYSELF WORKING WITH A REAL ESTATE COMPANY AS THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXECUTIVE....SO I BEG TO DISAGREE WITH OP

Is like some you have problem with comprehension. The OP didn't say Graduates of Mass communication, Political science, Religious studies etc would never have jobs neither did he say you should throw away your certificate if you did any of the courses mentioned rather he said their chances of having job in Nigeria are slimmer compared to their colleagues in fields such as Engineering, Law, Business, etc, and this we all know so what's the noise about?

2 Likes

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by abouzaid: 5:06pm On Jul 18, 2013
ngoziigwe: Wht of som1 dt studied any course in education lik pol. sci. Edu., economics edu., etc wht is d person's faith?

That is double honour B.Sc {Ed}
the job prospect depends on his or her area of specialization. You can't compare maths to social studies.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by RedCard1(m): 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2013
What is Mass Communication doing on that list? Pls dats my dream course o. It's not useless o. Pls simply strike Mass Communication off dat list and replace it with Geography. In the developed countries, Geography is soooo useful but in Naija, it's totally useless unless d person wants to be a teacher. The media is just growing larger by the day and u dare put Mass Communication on dat list...u chop witch? Zoology should be added to that list.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by wonlasewonimi: 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
Does it matter what you study...we have a lot of people with Jumpology degree aka Physical education working in banks today and they are doing well.
Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by sexkilzaphull: 5:22pm On Jul 18, 2013
ohaleoghene: Some engineers don't even have job . Abegi , no be naija again ? U gat ready to walk and walk before getting a job . Graduate plenty pass available jobs . My lecturer back then said if anyone thinks getting a degree will fetch him or her good money , then he is a joker! I can never allow my child go study computer science , because someone who went to computer sch will be better off . When I was a student ,the old desktop made available for student is not even enough to go round a class of fiften , let alone a class of 200 . Nigerian university na wash ! My friend travelled abroad to school , he curse everyday that had he known , he wouldn't have wasted four good years in Nigerian all in the name of paper degree which when he got to Canada , he discovered that he was been taught nonsense all the while . Old syllabus. The best is , get education for the worth of it , not for the sake of making money .

You are SORELY misguided and it is sad to see people "liking" your post! Well, if you had a child bright enough to study Computer Science, you'd better not make a silly mistake by misguiding him. That is one of the BEST courses ever in this world with some of the best job satisfaction you could ever find! A bright, forward thinking CS graduate can be confident of making at least average or much better wages without even trying! Companies are willing to pay 100K+ to 22+ year kids who just finished CS and here you are speaking ignorantly! FYI, I have perhaps the best job on this planet - a job I am paid to play and I should have done my masters in CS but I did something even more cutting edge! I have formal qualifications in CS and CE (Computer Engineering) and a graduate degree in ECE and I get to do a job where I am able to create and dream up new designs everyday, new approaches, question old ways of doing things, create my own algorithms, extend frameworks, in a very nice work environment and I don't even have to think of how much money I am spending! I have a part time consulting gig which pays only a third of what my full time position pays but that on its own pays enough money to cover ALL my expenses with some change left over! Yes, I did my undergrad in Nigeria, at the Obafemi Awolowo University, in that same faculty of Engineering you are blaming as the reason why the syllabus is old and unemployment is high! What you should do is to stop supporting a useless system that allows useless and clueless leaders like your retarde.d government of GEJ to do nothing about education and improving the standards of living of its people. You people eat your present and future when all you care about is that your hippopotamus Patience and retardeen are not "abused" while they abuse and rap.e the destiny of Nigerians while not giving a damn! They eat N 1 B food per year, specially allocated, in addition to their overly generous salaries! N 1 B is enough to change a department of CS or CE in any university in Nigeria significantly. Yet you think they must "eat" your future and you shout Canada?? Well, in the US, Canada, UK, etc, our leaders are not eating our future, so here you can be accomplished, comfortable, live well, drive a nice car, have good healthcare that will not need you to be flown to Germany and retire at 65 and NEVER have to worry about who will take care of you for the monies you earn and make your pension contributions will kick in and be sure you are fine!

6 Likes

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by zuchyblink(m): 5:23pm On Jul 18, 2013
i'm proud of my course ''psychology''(clinical psychology)
the best personell for all military and paramilitary jobs and also mental health jobs.

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 18, 2013
Medicine
Pharmacy
Biochemistry
were did dis lunatic crawl out from? Mbbs/Bds remains d best professional degre in nigeria...*continue to drink urself to stupour

1 Like

Re: Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria by mannobi(m): 5:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
m.esther96:
crop science,horticulture,animal physiology,animal husbandry e.t.c!
m.esther96:
m.esther96:
Classics also

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Which Are The Top 10 Law Firms In Nigeria? / UBA Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does UBA Pay Their Staff? / 5 Lucrative Careers You Can Excel In That Do Not Require A Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.