Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus (1903 Views)

Photos Of President Buhari With His Daughter And Grandchildren / You Are Still A Dictator -PDP Tells Buhari ….APC Anti-Corruption Crusade, A Sham / A Dictator Is Coming To Fix Nigeria - Pastor Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by TheRealMrStan(m): 3:14pm On Jul 18, 2013
A balanced view and an interesting read. smiley
http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2013/07/amad-professor-dictators-daughter-and.html
[size=13pt]A MAD PROFESSOR, A DICTATOR’S DAUGHTER AND A HIPPOPOTAMUS.

Politics is like a sewer, there’s no way one will enter a suck away and not come out smelling like 'faeces’, even though your mission was to clean it up.
Professor Wole Soyinka for many years has always been a rebel ‘with or without’ a cause. In his younger days he sided with the separatist Biafra government; and ever since became a renowned federal government critic, but was briefly tamed by the military government of General Ibrahim Babangida.

At the ripe old age of 79, the professor is still ‘vocally’ active in Nigerian politics with the same routine of siding with the opposition and condemning the ruling party. Many times, social critics like Professor Soyinka ‘subconsciously’ ignore the fact that even within Nigeria's opposition ruling class, there exists a very dangerous kleptomaniac elitist leadership that have successfully hoodwinked their followers using intense ethnic solidarity, media prowness,a pinch of religion and a very convincing vilifying machinery against the ruling party. But this is POLITICS, it’s allowed.

Nigeria’s River State has now become a boiling polarized society which cumulated into a show of shame by elected representatives in the state house of assembly. Apparently, many have traced the origin of Rivers state crisis to a yet to be declared vice-presidential ambition of its governor Honourable Rotimi Amaechi. Obviously, the president of the country Dr.Goodluck Ebele Jonathan and his wife Dame Patience Jonathan are being blamed by the opposition for fermenting the crises in Rivers state. Surprisingly, many opposition characters have pitched their tent on the side of Governor Amaechi jettisoning the fact that he and his state belongs to the ruling People’s Democratic party. Suddenly, Amaechi’s camp of the PDP has now evolved into sainthood while the rest of PDP remains evil...according to the opposition.

At 79, again making reference to his age, the respected Wole Soyinka should (some of us believe) have naturally assumed the role of a statesman, but unfortunately, especially as it concerns Rivers state, he decided to take sides joining the opposition in laying blames on the first family.

According to news reports, the professor was particularly hard on the first lady suggesting that she was (plus or minus) a ‘bush woman’ that would at best have remained an ordinary house-wife but for her husband's good fortune of becoming president of the federal republic of Nigeria. Well, unconfirmed reports also said that the professor likened the Nigerian first lady to a Hippopotamus.

Perhaps, the professor's ‘un-gentlemanly’ verbal attack on Dame Patience Jonathan was what jolted a relatively unpopular and largely ignored daughter of the late General Sani Abacha to sort of speak out. Gumsu Abacha (or somebody using her twitter handle) out of the blues, took to the social media network where she tweeted and described Professor Wole Soyinka as a "Mad Empty Professor that lives on bad mouthing his Motherland and continent for Dollar and euro!"

You know, some of us can neither agree nor disagree with Gumsu's opinion of the literary giant. However, we can’t but suggest that the professor perhaps brought this upon himself and if he as much as replies her then she'd be justified. Gumsu Abacha's mother Mariam Abacha used to be first lady too, is it possible that Gumsu recalls all the glamour and near worship the first lady's seat once commanded in Nigeria and is appalled by its current disregard? How come most 'opposition' figures did not dish out these types of insults on Turai Yaradua who it was alleged, practically took over the reins of power when her husband the President became clinically indisposed?

It is also possible that Gumsu Abacha’s rant against Professor Soyinka is totally unconnected with the first lady’s issue.

Another ‘crazy’ conspiracy theory from my part would be, how come a relatively silent Gumsu Abacha suddenly finds her voice barely a week after her father's former chief security officer was released from prison? Is this a pointer to the direction Major Al-Mustapha will be going? Politics, oh politics!

There's a saying that, “When an Eagle constantly mingles with chickens, it will eventually forget how to fly.” Professor Wole Soyinka is an icon and one of Nigeria's greatest personalities; he must truly elevate himself to 'statesmanship mode' and not get involved in political pillow fights with minors.

As for Dame Patience Jonathan, for now I see no fault in her-Nigeria has never really been blessed with eloquent, polished, articulate and inspirational first ladies, what we see is always what we get. Though, the late Maryam Babangida eventually gave a fairly good account of herself while Justice Fati Abubakar’s stay was too short to be analyzed.

However, if the saying that ‘behind every successful man there is a woman’ is anything to go by then you can’t help but admire Dame Patience Jonathan. A woman that stood by her husband all the way from oblivion to the highest and most covetous position in the land, is worthy of praise. Many of the first lady's harshest critics that are by themselves or have spouses that are classy, polished, refined and articulated will never lay hands on even the accumulated dust inside the presidential villa.

STANLEY NWABIA
[/size]
http://mrstanleynwabia..com/2013/07/amad-professor-dictators-daughter-and.html

4 Likes

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 18, 2013
By one STANLEY NWABIA??

Defintely no surprise there.....from one of the Junior Partners or minority partner (like we say in Accounting grin) in the SS & SE 'Joint-Venture' Agreement.

1 Like

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by ckkris: 3:39pm On Jul 18, 2013
The mad Prof has very destructive influence on Nigerians. Let him leave these women alone, as he has sacked three wives already, calling them appendages. If Nigerian women start attacking him for causing the death of thousands of youths, the mad Prof may not be able to hide anywhere in the United States.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Joyfullyme: 3:44pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hmm i have not read your whole article but the title is EPIC.
Even the Mad Professor would not have been able to cull a better title.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Feedmemore(f): 3:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
Joyfullyme: Hmm i have not read your whole article but the title is EPIC.
Even the Mad Professor would not have been able to cull a better title.

I tell ya, the title/Headline got me too.

" The Mad professor, a dictator's daughter and a hipopotamus" Classic! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by druid06(m): 4:01pm On Jul 18, 2013
Seems this article is onesided as it's inadvertly bashing the great literary giant professor Wole Soyinka while raining praise on the first lady and Abacha's daughter.

I think the writer of this article has been paid or bought to the "dark side".
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Omen100(m): 4:11pm On Jul 18, 2013
druid06: Seems this article is onesided as it's inadvertly bashing the great literary giant professor Wole Soyinka while raining praise on the first lady and Abacha's daughter.

I think the writer of this article has been paid or bought to the "dark side"

It because the writer & his paymaster are humdrum's, we can predict their next line of action(s) because they are people with infinitesimal psyches.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by PointB: 4:16pm On Jul 18, 2013
Great article!

I hope the mad professor quickly checks into a mental home before it is too late to redeem himself. He indeed reeks of 'faeces' for now!

4 Likes

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2013
Feed me more:

I tell ya, the title/Headline got me too.

" The Mad professor, a dictator's daughter and a hipopotamus" Classic! cheesy

check this one out in honour of Mazi Stanley;

[size=13pt]oil, the swamp people, biafrans and the quest for eye service [/size]
grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Akanbiedu(m): 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2013
The writer does not understand. This isn't about opposition, this is about democracy.

Those who sacrificed to have the current system of governance will simply not watch those people, who were no where to be found during the struggle, make a mess of the system. What is happening in Rivers is capable of providing excuse for the Khaki boys.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by bubadaniel13: 4:30pm On Jul 18, 2013
I envy the mad Professor's literary brilliance, but i fear for him been politically partisan, careful he must be or his good name will be dragged to the mud soon.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by takedat(m): 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2013
Worthless ramblings of a nonentity and wannabe pundit desperately seeking relevance. So many partisan kobo-kobo hirelings and layabouts pretending to be neutral onlookers. The writer of this article tried to shield Dame and the Presidency from public scrutiny while shifting the blame on to the opposition. According to Wole Soyinka, "A man dies in all who keep silent in the face of tyranny", but reprobates and bootlickers think otherwise expecting WS and other sane Nigerians to keep silent.

3 Likes

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by ojubi(m): 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2013
Noble noise maker, mad professor Wole Soyinker.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by BeraBera(f): 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
Nnaa mehn, This is classic! Many people used to hold the Prof. in very high esteem, but now, what has come over him? His behaviors of late seems to lend credence to the widely believed assertion that most over-educated Professors tend to suffer from mental imbalance during their later years.
If he is man enough, let him attack the person of the President, and not a mere woman. It is very very very unafrican for a man to fight with a woman.

2 Likes

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Euroclydon(m): 4:52pm On Jul 18, 2013
hmmn...quite an interesting read with an array of words to water down the point that i still cant find...
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by egift(m): 4:54pm On Jul 18, 2013
But the husband of the Hippopotamus is a Zoo-keep. Nigeria and her brand of politics grin
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by luvmijeje(f): 5:16pm On Jul 18, 2013
Balance view my as.s. He is a legend of our time. As far as I'm concern, he can do no wrong because he has paid the price. I will urge our first lady and that silly girl to start contributing positively in their own little way to this great nation.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by touchmehard: 5:18pm On Jul 18, 2013
@OP, you forgot to add "Cultist" or "Pirate" to the adjectives that qualify the Prof.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by slimyem: 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2013
A balanced view and an interesting read.
The op doesn't understand what a balanced view is. This article is far from that. A very biased view it is!
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by naptu2: 5:38pm On Jul 18, 2013
Akanbi_edu: The writer does not understand. This isn't about opposition, this is about democracy.

Those who sacrificed to have the current system of governance will simply not watch those people, who were no where to be found during the struggle, make a mess of the system. What is happening in Rivers is capable of providing excuse for the Khaki boys.

+100
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by ACM10: 5:43pm On Jul 18, 2013
This blogger is too diplomatic for my liking. Wole Soyinka is officially a member of ACN.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by ACM10: 5:46pm On Jul 18, 2013
PointB: Great article!

I hope the mad professor quickly checks into a mental home before it is too late to redeem himself. He indeed reeks of 'faeces' for now!
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2013
Akanbi_edu: The writer does not understand. This isn't about opposition, this is about democracy.

You are preaching to shortsighted people

1 Like

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by sainty2k3(m): 6:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
@op I thought u want to maintain a balance judgment untill I read that u've seen nothing wrong with PEJ and her involvement in rivers state politics. Nairaland has recently been heavily infected with triabalism , no one sees what is right in a man frm anoda tribe again. When are in support of their own u are the saint, when u are not u are mad. Even the very black pot will call the kettle black. It makes me wonder where we are heading to in this country. It sounds like somebody is forcing us to live together as one, cos we are not united again and everybody now speak for their own even in the face of The obvious. Smh

1 Like

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 18, 2013
take dat: The writer is another Nonentity and Wannabe Pundit! A Pathetic Partisan Bootlicker!!!
Am even suspecting the writer to be a newly recruited PDP Laptop dog .
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 18, 2013
PointB: Great article!

the hippo and her gorilla should return to the Creek where 5 is greater than 30 or better still to the zoo where gej studied and met his hippo
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by fr3do(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2013
Omen100:

It because the writer & his paymaster are humdrum's, we can predict their next line of action(s) because they are people with infinitesimal psyches.

infinite stupidity
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 18, 2013
MAD KAMANDA says

What if the Gorila divorce the Hippo come marry the FroggyEye (de. Zi. A..i...)

Then the Mad Prof come marry the Hippo.

Everyone lives happily ever after.
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2013
A mad professor, a hippopotamus, and a dictator's daughter.

Sounds like something out of Alice in Wonderland. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by abrat: 8:46pm On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by ACM10: 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2013
But why is this thread not on frontpage five hours after it was started? Why is this thread mostly ignored by ACN attack dogs? Are they allergic to balanced reporting?
Re: Article: A Mad Professor, A Dictator's Daughter And A Hippopotamus by politician(m): 9:00pm On Jul 18, 2013
berem: Am even suspecting the writer to be a newly recruited PDP Laptop dog .

berem: Am even suspecting the writer to be a newly recruited PDP Laptop dog .

Errors of opinion can be tolerated when reasons are left to combat it..

The writer might be loop sided in his opinion, we all are..

The blogger is a law student that has spent his life with Yorubas, even though he is igbo.
A very good writer, author and script writer.

He does worship WS, trekking miles in abeokuta for an autograph. A fashola/okorocha appstle.

let's just see this as a literary piece not a political opinion..

well done Stanley...

Bashorun Gaa.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Ibos Support The Deportation Of Yorubas Earlier In 2011? / Bomb Blast At Jabi Park In Abuja??? / APC Is Not Serious At All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.