Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease (24619 Views)

The Oldest Person With Sickle - Asiata Onikoyi-laguda / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease. / The Facts And Myths Of Sickle Cell Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by betrani(m): 3:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1: 6) People living with SCD are immune to malaria attack.:
I really don't know if this should be here. But for the purpose of enlightening those that still think Sickle Cell people don't have malaria.
Please be adviced that malaria attack is among the top killers of children and adults who are living with sickle cell disease. I have argued here on NL with some really bright and intelligent individuals who think that because they read it somewhere and because I am not in the medical field, I shouldn't try to mislead the public.
Again, MALARIA IS A KILLER FOR PERSON's LIVING WITH SCD.
Malaria is The Major Cause Of crisis In SCD! I live with this disease So I knw! Worst of all is that no pain killer can actually kill d pain.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by fulli16(m): 3:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
NOTED i ll keep dat in mind Abali...tanks
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:14pm On Jul 19, 2013
9) People living with Sickle Cell Cannot hold down jobs.:
For employers out there reading this piece, this is not true. Please give us a chance to prove ourselves before you put us down as people who will always absent from their duty posts.
I can say this because I have experienced this first hand.
Twice I took bank aptitude tests in two different banks. I scaled through the aptitude test level. But when it got to the face-to-face interview I wasn't shortlisted.
When the first one happened, I thought it was a mistake or because for one reason or the other I ddn't merit the position. But the second interview confirmed my fears. We were interviewed in a group of four. When it was my groups turn, they asked us to debate (I can still remember the topic, EFCC and it's duties, pros and cons) I did so well with my analysis and the points I marshalled out that others outside the interview room actually started clapping and the interviewers were beaming with smiles.
But when we were called in individually, they asked me general questions about my academics then one woman in the team asked me, "are you a sickler?" I knew she must have seen certain tale-tale signs, so I confirmed her question. There and then she started "preaching" to me about how stressful banking job is.... bla bla.... until the other team members called her to order.
Need I say that it marked the end of my pursuit of working in the bank. But I thank God today, that His Grace has been sufficient.
NB.:
Why then did I work hard acquiring knowledge if I cannot use it or apply the skills I have learnt? Answers, anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by betrani(m): 3:19pm On Jul 19, 2013
ohaleoghene: So touching ! I sure can only imagine what you warriors go through. To learn isn't bad anyway. Most of us believe that the only way one get to be a sicker is when both parents are AS , or one is AS , the other SS , or both SS . Is this a misconception , is there any other possible ways that could bring forth scickle cell ? Will like to know . When I was in secondary sch , my biology teacher taught me that sickle cell dnt get malaria . How wrong !
This isn't a misconception! Ur assertion is very true! If u have done biology and come across Genetics and heredity u should knw! When u do the genotypic and phenotypic equations and analysis u should see a clear result.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by fulli16(m): 3:27pm On Jul 19, 2013
ABALI, i culdn't agree wit u more on all ur points.
most times d doctors annoy me sha...nd yrs back, during ma crisis, ma siblings will b like, "is it not just pains dat ur aving?"
pisses me off sad
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Buchianom(m): 3:36pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nyz one OP!

To add to all U av listed above, its important to note that there is no need tempting God especially when it comes to SCD; once its bn confirmed by a certified laboratory / Med. Lab. Sct dat U ar AS $ ur fiance/fiancee is also AS/ SS /SC as the case may be, forget abt that marriage $ search for anoda partner. Save ur unborn kids the stress, pains $ agony of bn a sickler, $ please don't go around spewin that there is nowia U av seen SS in the holy book.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
nbright: What about the "story" we hear that a female SS find it hard to conceive..
This is a fallacy.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by betrani(m): 3:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
N_girl: @Abali1 Thanks so much smiley

I wish bone marrow transplant can be made available to every child and not just a few suffering from this disease in Nigeria.
It's very expensive whether it's done in Nigeria or any other country in the world.
This is one of the main reasons why we need good medical services, insurance, create awareness of the sickle cell disease and of course, a very good eradication programme.
Believe u Me! Bone marrow transplant isn't a good Idea! Its better to manage as an SCD sufferer than tryin to go for a transplant! It hasn't been proven 100% an effective cure and the cost involved. Not just that the complications that arise thereafter! Its just not it.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 3:43pm On Jul 19, 2013
passionate88: No b pain crisis, I hear say when d pikin small, e get like 35% chance to stay alive bt when e dn pass like say 21 yrs, e get 79% to live..
As an adult, a warrior has a better understanding of what s/he is going through and can manage his/her health better.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by ohaleoghene(f): 3:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
You are right with your analysis of how people can get the sickle cell disease. Sickle cell is not a communicable disease and can only be passed on through the gene of each parent.
Thus, a child born with sickle cell have parents (both) who are either AS/AS; AS/SS; AS/AC, AC/AC, SS/SS.
It is therefore the fault of BOTH parents.

U right , parents fault . People give zero attention to blood genotpe , all because they feel they are in love .one of my mum 's students died of sickel cell . Both parents are As , they went ahead with the marriage despite they know all because they felt they were in love . How sad . Their otherr child is going through his own crisis , and we only hope he survives . One shud be careful before tying the knot , think about the kids ,btoo . Do not bring them forth to earth to suffer. Op I do not know you , but will always pray for you . I love u be strong in thy lord
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Seyipa(m): 4:13pm On Jul 19, 2013
Reading this, cos me to remember my general coordinator. at Deeper Life Campus Fellowship , a female warrior(ebiesuwa Esther) who was in crisis for almost a semester only to come back two weeks to exam and had a grade of 4.6/5.0. and to add to all warriors ego with all sincerity. they are the set of people with astounding talent. my GC can sing, mimic, dramatize, teach and console someone else not minding her state of pain. Love all warriors and pray for a fulfill life for u all

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:50pm On Jul 19, 2013
shocked I never knew there was a cure for SCD.
Thanks for all the info OP.
Spent 4 years living with relatives of whom 2 cousins were SS.
During a crisis, no be beans at all. But we thank God, they are both alive today. My older cousin turned 38yrs old!
My heartfelt sympathies to all the fellows here who have lost someone as a result of SCD.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by 3kay945(m): 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2013
I sincerely feel your pains.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by solacec4t(f): 5:04pm On Jul 19, 2013
Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes as it reminds me of a course mate who died a day after receiving her call-up letter. she was a vibrant young lady,was able to manage her self,though missed some exams. i couldnt feel her pains,i could only imagine. sometimes,we'd have to help her walk. May her soul and those who had same fate rest in peace. We miss u so much, Ronke. And to the other worriors, may the good Lord see u through, u shall be testimonies to the glory of God.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:30pm On Jul 19, 2013
10) People Living with SCD are fragile beings and they should be shielded at all cost.:
Yeah, I understand how difficult it is for parents and siblings and other loved ones of Warriors. But I don't think we are actually need to be protected at all cost.
If it were only up to my mum, I would have spent all my life at Aba, Abia State. Kai! That woman is so over-protective of her only son. When it was time for me to go to secondary school, I actually sat for four entrance exams. I passed three and narrowly missed the cut off point for FG school. This means that I have three schools to choose from.
My mum insisted that I must go to Ngwa High School, where she can "watch over me and monitor my health" (that was her exact words). But my dad (God bless his soul) asked me to make my own choice. I chose a Catholic Missionary School far from Aba. As expected mum kicked as against it, but my dad told her that I have made my choice and he will respect it. Moreover that I was going to meet other children from diverse background.
God proving His authority over my life, showed my mum that He is the one with the Keys of My life. That He is the final authority over who lives or dies.
Today, I encourage parents of Warriors to do the best they can for their children. But don't try to live his/her life for him/her. Let them move around and mingle with the society, and find their own niche in the society. Warriors are stronger than many people think.

2 Likes

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
You are right with your analysis of how people can get the sickle cell disease. Sickle cell is not a communicable disease and can only be passed on through the gene of each parent.
Thus, a child born with sickle cell have parents (both) who are either AS/AS; AS/SS; AS/AC, AC/AC, SS/SS.
It is therefore the fault of BOTH parents.
You sent me a message, I tried replying but mail delivery kept failing permanently.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:46pm On Jul 19, 2013
blink182: You sent me a message, I tried replying but mail delivery kept failing permanently.
you can use abiaaba4@gmail.com
Someone may need you to explain one or two things about Cellod-s.
I will await your mail.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1:
you can use abiaaba4@gmail.com
Someone may need you to explain one or two things about Cellod-s.
I will await your mail.
oh, I'm not in the best position to do that. As you know I'm well and not really privileged to interact with sufferers closely but this person will do an amazing job at explaining things. 08060538467.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by EMERITUS1(m): 5:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
pls is it true that ss gals should get pregnant early
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Synthase(m): 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
I dont think so...
honey86:
You are right, I read in an article that exposure to mosquitos is what caused the gene mutation that led to the SS genotype. So any area with anopheles mosquito will definitely have sickle cell.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 5:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
EMERITUS1: pls is it true that ss gals should get pregnant early
I don't really understand the question or what you aree suggesting.
can you rephrase or the question.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2013
blink182: oh, I'm not in the best position to do that. As you know I'm well and not really privileged to interact with sufferers closely but this person will do an amazing job at explaining things. 08060538467.
Yeah. The person already had a chat with the director, but still wants to talk to warriors about their experiences (not just only the drug). It won't really hurt if the person can talk to you or chat with you through mail or phone.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
Synthase: I dont think so...
What do you mean, "you don't think so"?
Are you saying she is wrong?
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by kemesty(f): 6:13pm On Jul 19, 2013
It was a very painful incidence when we lost a doctor of veterinary medicine in UNN. One of the faculty finest young lecturer.She had 2 kids and died at age 33.
Another close warrior is a neighbor who uses crutches because one of the numerous crisis paralysed her legs.
I sincerely wish more people especially intending couples to have knowledge about SSD and know their genotype compatibility.Having the knowledge that love and time cannot fade away the disease and make the right decision. Bringing a being into life that will cost you your extra time to take care of, resources, pain , several trips in and out of hospital , regrets etc is not worth it at all. Make the right decision today.
@ op , you're truly a warrior. I love your spirit.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sirgen05(m): 6:32pm On Jul 19, 2013
Another misconception bothered on intending couples(both AS)who believe that out of 4 children they will have only 1 will be SCD! That is 25%.
That is wrong! What it means is that in EVERY PREGNANCY, if both partners are AS, there is 25% chances of having SS, 50% of AS &25% of AA! That is in every CONCEPTION! It means ur 1st 4 children can all be SS or AS or AA or Mixed up!!
Intending couples take note! Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sirgen05(m): 6:35pm On Jul 19, 2013
Another misconception bothered on intending couples(both AS)who believe that out of 4 children they will have only 1 will be SCD! That is 25%.
That is wrong! What it means is that in EVERY PREGNANCY, if both partners are AS, there is 25% chances of having SS, 50% of AS &25% of AA! That is in every CONCEPTION! It means ur 1st 4 children can all be SS or AS or AA or Mixed up!!
Intending couples take note! Thanks!
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 6:35pm On Jul 19, 2013
Sirgen05: Another misconception bothered on intending couples(both AS)who believe that out of 4 children they will have only 1 will be SCD! That is 25%.
Intending couples take note! Thanks.
Gbam.
In every pregnancy there is a 25% chance of SS.
Emphasis on EVERY PREGNANCY.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Synthase(m): 6:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
I was refering to that article that said mosquito bites caused d gene mutation that led to d SS genotype, no roport has given a conclusive cause of d mutation, we just know a non conservative mutational change occur leading to d SS genotype...
Abali1:
What do you mean, "you don't think so"?
Are you saying she is wrong?
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Abali1(m): 6:45pm On Jul 19, 2013
Synthase: I was refering to that article that said mosquito bites caused d gene mutation that led to d SS genotype, no roport has given a conclusive cause of d mutation, we just know a non conservative mutational change occur leading to d SS genotype...
Well, you have point. But it has been suggested in a few articles that areas with mosquitoes are known to have produced individuals with the gene mutations. That is why it was initially thought that it is only people of African dissents (because of the prevalence of mosquitoes in Africa) that has the gene mutations that leads to sickle cell.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by queenbinteo: 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2013
Is there no way we can kill all the mosquitoes in Africa? @ Abali- dude!! I need you on whatsapp orBBM jor!!come to fb let's chat.
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by babaijo(m): 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
that was nice of you. thanks for the info...
Re: Misconceptions About People Living With Sickle Cell Disease by Sirgen05(m): 7:10pm On Jul 19, 2013
Abali1: 6) People living with SCD are immune to malaria attack.:
I really don't know if this should be here. But for the purpose of enlightening those that still think Sickle Cell people don't have malaria.
Please be adviced that malaria attack is among the top killers of children and adults who are living with sickle cell disease. I have argued here on NL with some really bright and intelligent individuals who think that because they read it somewhere and because I am not in the medical field, I shouldn't try to mislead the public.
Again, MALARIA IS A KILLER FOR PERSON's LIVING WITH SCD.

Let me clarify you on this!
SCD is a genetic adaptation to reduce the incidence of malaria. This is cos the plasmodium species causing malaria rarely survive in the SCD red blood cells which have reduced oxygen concentration and life span. This makes it RARE among them when compared to the general population with normal shaped red blood cells.
However, malaria in SCD is very fatal when they eventually come down with it! This is cos the infection leads to hypoxia and anemia which are triggers to Crisis in SCD.

In summary, malaria is rare(but can affect them) but FATAL in SCD.
Thanks.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Normal For A 30 Year Old Male To Have Reduced Libido / China Detects First Human Case Of H3N8 Bird Flu / Expectant Mum Suffers Womb Rupture In Police Cell (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.