Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,218 members, 7,815,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Buhari's Pathetic Utterances - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Pathetic Utterances (1309 Views)

$2.1 Arms Scam: Your Utterances Are Unprofessional – Ex-Minister Tells Sagay / Watch Your Utterances — APC Warns Jega / GEJ Tackles Obasanjo: ‘Your Utterances Ridiculing Nigeria, Scaring Investors’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Chylo(m): 5:37pm On Jul 19, 2013
I AM writing this piece in a sad mood. Why wouldn’t I. Muhammadu Buhari, retired army General was one of my authentic Nigerian heroes, a man of untrammeled integrity and granite cast will.
In the 2011 presidential election, I voted for him without any qualms. I have argued strongly against the notion that he is an ethnic jingoist or a religious bigot.
I had followed his career in the military; from being a military governor to Petroleum Minister and then head of state. I could only speak about him with utmost veneration.

When some weeks ago, the revered Sultan of Sokoto called for amnesty for Boko Haram, I was staggered by the shift in his posture towards these merchants of terror he had consistently condemned without any equivocation.
But his royal majesty’s amnesty trumpet was soon chorused by the Northern States Governors’ Forum, NSGF, and almost with the speed of a tornado, the Northern Elders Forum, NEF, followed, urging President Jonathan to grant amnesty to a band of misguided, blood- thirsty terrorists.
I was disgusted by the impish and warped theory of amnesty being propounded by these men. I was so sure that ‘noble’ men like Buhari would not lend their voices to the evil cacophony of the NSGF and the NEF.
I argued that if Buhari had been silent, it was simply because he didn’t want to speak against Boko Haram for political reason. “But he will never, ever endorse Boko Haram’s murderous activities; never,” I had argued.

But on Sunday, June 2, 2013, Buhari broke what I found now to be his ominous silence. Speaking on Liberty Radio in Kaduna, the reticent retired General criticized the declaration of state of emergency in three Northern states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, describing the action as a grave injustice against the North.
Buhari holds the strange notion that while Niger Delta militants were given special treatments, the Boko Haram terrorists were being killed and their house demolished.
Hear this soldier: “You see, in the case of Niger Delta militants, the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua sent an airplane to bring them, he sat down with them and discussed with them, they were cajoled and they were given money and amnesty”. But he was not done yet.
“They were trained in some skills and were given employment, but the ones in the North are being killed and their houses demolished.”
Again, I stress that I am at pains that a man I admire and practically adore could allow his emotion to so blur his reasoning that he could sound so parochial and pathetic. First I want to ask Buhari, what is the cause of Boko Haram.
What are they fighting for? In the case of the Niger Delta militants, we know about the degradation of their environment by Nigeria and foreign oil companies prospecting and exploiting the oil buried in their land by God.
Their land, water and even air are so polluted that survival is put in peril. For all these threats to their lives, successive governments in Nigeria had paid but scant attention to a people who tragically found themselves mired in poverty by the very natural gift that should elevate them to an earthly paradise.
So, when the young militants found themselves with arms, they decided to redress the gross injustice and oppression that had pervaded for decades. And while many of us would not agree with their violent approach, we would not deny that they has a cause.

What is the cause of Boko Haram? They don’t want Western education. Simply idiotic. The arms they use is a product of Western education, so is electricity and the clothes they wear. They said they want Islam as only religion in Nigeria. So, some of us that are non-Muslims should jump into the river. Very foolish. These are rascals with out a cause except mypotic, wild and horrid religious fanaticism.
Buhari said Yar’Adua sent an airplane to pick the militants and they brought them to Abuja. Correct. But did the airplane land in the creeks, the abode of the militants and picked them?
The fact is, Yar’Adua called the Niger Delta leaders and appealed to them to persuade their ‘boys’ to drop their arms and come for talk, for negotiation on the way forward for their exploited and devastated homeland. And the elders returned and met their wards in the creeks and convinced them to meet with Yar’Adua.
The militants in deference to their elders sat with Yar’Adua and negotiated the Niger Delta question. They did not negotiate out of fear; but they didn’t fear to negotiate.

I ask Buhari, where are these terror elements called Boko Haram? They remain ghosts, apologies to President Jonathan.
The Niger Delta elders and leaders went to the creeks to fetch their boys. Buhari is both a leader and an elder. I ask him, where are those sons of terror? Why can’t he and the likes of Professor Ango Abdullahi (of Ali-Must-Go shame) fetch their boys so that Jonathan can also send an airplane to fly them to Abuja.
The Northern leaders, including the Sultan of Sokoto, clamoured for amnesty for the murderous gang. Jonathan accepted and set up an amnesty committee.
The foolish boys in reaction said it was Nigeria and Jonathan that needed amnesty. As if this reaction is a huge shame to the Northern elders and to the Nigerian governments because they are forcing amnesty on killers, gangsters and animals that have no iota of remorse.
As if all that was not enough, they increased their barbaric unslaught not only on innocent Nigerians but the police and the military, killing and maiming in horrifying proportions.And you said Jonathan should not declare state of emergency?

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/buharis-pathetic-utterances/

Disclaimer: The article is not a representation of the opinion of the OP, i.e me. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Toktee(m): 9:03pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nonesense;>,you are not in pains but the pains will come the buhari will once again be called nigerian president,,,,,what is your problem,the niger delta militans that are enjoying amnesty today kill many and caused alot of pains to nigerian gvt,they introduced bombing in nigeria,so why arew you not angry with the people that initiate amnesty for them(militants),return the money to whoever pay you to ruubish buhari name.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by jjcbuthot: 9:27pm On Jul 19, 2013
Nonsense...

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Chylo(m): 10:06pm On Jul 19, 2013
jjcbuthot: Nonsense...

Rather than saying ''nonsense'' like an illiterate, why don't u state the points in d article u disagree with and why.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Chylo(m): 11:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
Toktee: Nonesense;>,you are not in pains but the pains will come the buhari will once again be called nigerian president,,,,,what is your problem,the niger delta militans that are enjoying amnesty today kill many and caused alot of pains to nigerian gvt,they introduced bombing in nigeria,so why arew you not angry with the people that initiate amnesty for them(militants),return the money to whoever pay you to ruubish buhari name.

Cannot happen!
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chylo:

Rather than saying ''nonsense'' like an illiterate, why don't u state the points in d article u disagree with and why.
is it too hard for u guys to think?

It is arrant nonsense! What points would u want again!

Tell me, were ur brothers not granted amnesty? Why are the boko harams not accorded with the same treatment and method a Northern president accorded ur brothers with? Did yar adua declared a state of emergency in the eatern states?

It is hard to admit but in truth, ur brothers shouldn't av been granted amnesty at all. The result of that mistake is boko haram!!

i bet they were expecting amnesty too...

It is just safe and human to ask why they weren't granted one wen we have a case of ur brothers being granted amnesty!

You are just an hypocrite!

Like he said, dnt get pained yet, the real pain is at hand!
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by MeAboki(m): 1:17am On Nov 13, 2013
@ OP:
So Buhari is not entitled to express an opinion if his is contrary to yours and that of the original author of the article which you copied and pasted.

First of all, he is one of the leaders of the opposition and therefore his job to criticize the govt, thats what all oppositions do and are expected to do worldwide.

Secondly, he is also not the only one to hold the same view; prominent respectable Christians like Bishop Kuka and Rev.Jesse Jackson had also held and expressed similar views.

https://www.nairaland.com/1242228/bishop-kukah-calls-amnesty-boko
https://www.nairaland.com/1295717/jesse-jackson-backs-amnesty-boko-haram

Yes, oga Johnny set up a committee but did he allow the committee to even begin to do its work before he declared a state of emergency in those 3 states (the committee just handed its report last week) - answer, NO!

You asked,"what is the cause of Boko Haram. What are they fighting for?" Well, this is what the New York Times had to say:

Boko Haram began in 2002 as a peaceful Islamic splinter group. Then politicians began exploiting it for electoral purposes. But it was not until 2009 that Boko Haram turned to violence, especially after its leader, a young Muslim cleric named Mohammed Yusuf, was killed while in police custody. Video footage of Mr. Yusuf’s interrogation soon went viral, but no one was tried and punished for the crime. Seeking revenge, Boko Haram targeted the police, the military and local politicians — all of them Muslims.

The same New York Times added the following - note the position of the American Ambassador:

[i]It was clear in 2009, as it is now, that the root cause of violence and anger in both the north and south of Nigeria is endemic poverty and hopelessness. Influential Nigerians from Maiduguri, where Boko Haram is centered, pleaded with Mr. Jonathan’s government in June and July not to respond to Boko Haram with force alone. Likewise, the American ambassador, Terence P. McCulley, has emphasized, both privately and publicly, that the government must address socio-economic deprivation, which is most severe in the north. No one seems to be listening.[/i]

https://www.nairaland.com/1243243/us-boko-haram-franchise-hired

Now you can go ahead and castigate Bishop Kuka, Rev ackson, The American Ambassador and New York Times for being tribalistic as you are accusing Gen. Buhari in a thinly veiled attempt to score cheap political points on behalf of your benevolent paying masters.

BTW, how has military might so far succeeded in elimination boko haram? Where has the use of force alone overcome terrorism? - ask the Americans about their success in the Middle East and Asia.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Chylo(m): 10:26pm On Nov 15, 2013
^^^ Dude, now you sound like ur supporting Boko Haram yourself.

At least the US have now named them as a proper terrorist group, just like Al-Qaeda.

So, I'm guessing if you were US president, you will call Al-Qaeda and give them amnesty!!!
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by ollyruffy: 11:12pm On Nov 15, 2013
Amnesty given to the ND militants means amnesty to be given to any other militants from other ethnic groups. This is where the Yaradua got it wrong.
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by wirinet(m): 5:19am On Nov 16, 2013
Many of us from the Niger Delta view the amnesty program as a reward for crime. It is an error of judgement by yaradua to reward groups who killed, bombed, maimed other Nigerian and kidnapped foreigners with money. While their leaders were rewarded with billions of naira and contracts. I said it then and i am saying it now, more groups would be encouraged to take up arms and bombs to get their own amnesty too.

People try to differentiate between boko haram and militants by arguing that Niger Delta militant were fighting against environmental degradation by oil companies. Really? Are they telling us environmental pollution has stopped? Have the oil companies stopped polluting the environment? Have gas flaring stopped? Have the cleaned previous oil spillages? Are they cleaning up fresh ones? You need to come to my village to understand the amount of pollution going on.

The money used to bribe the militants and their leaders could have been put to better use, it could have been used to equip the navy to better navy and air force to protect the creeks and oil installations, it could have been used to educate and train ALL Niger delta youths, it could could have been used to clean up the environment, but using it to bribe militants is a waste of money. They would start killing and bombing again once the money stops flowing. Once Jonathan leaves Aso Rock, the ijaw militants would return to the creeks.

I did not support amnesty for militants and i do not support amnesty for Boko Haram or any other terrorist group. I support the carrot and stick approach. Provide education(free scholarships), training and jobs for jobless youths being recruited as terrorists and deal mercilessly with the unrepentant onces. Abacha dealt mercilessly with maitasimi insurgency and OBJ dealt mercilessly with anyone that took up arms against the state.
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by omenka(m): 6:12am On Nov 16, 2013
The writer made some very valid points especially as to the course for which the terrorists are fighting.

I respect and adore Buhari more than any of our present day politicians but as for negotiation with Boko Haram, an idea shared by both Buhari and the president, I say a capital NO
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Donmams(m): 6:37am On Nov 16, 2013
Me_Aboki: @ OP:
So Buhari is not entitled to express an opinion if his is contrary to yours and that of the original author of the article which you copied and pasted.

First of all, he is one of the leaders of the opposition and therefore his job to criticize the govt, thats what all oppositions do and are expected to do worldwide.

Secondly, he is also not the only one to hold the same view; prominent respectable Christians like Bishop Kuka and Rev.Jesse Jackson had also held and expressed similar views.

https://www.nairaland.com/1242228/bishop-kukah-calls-amnesty-boko
https://www.nairaland.com/1295717/jesse-jackson-backs-amnesty-boko-haram

Yes, oga Johnny set up a committee but did he allow the committee to even begin to do its work before he declared a state of emergency in those 3 states (the committee just handed its report last week) - answer, NO!

You asked,"what is the cause of Boko Haram. What are they fighting for?" Well, this is what the New York Times had to say:

Boko Haram began in 2002 as a peaceful Islamic splinter group. Then politicians began exploiting it for electoral purposes. But it was not until 2009 that Boko Haram turned to violence, especially after its leader, a young Muslim cleric named Mohammed Yusuf, was killed while in police custody. Video footage of Mr. Yusuf’s interrogation soon went viral, but no one was tried and punished for the crime. Seeking revenge, Boko Haram targeted the police, the military and local politicians — all of them Muslims.

The same New York Times added the following - note the position of the American Ambassador:

[i]It was clear in 2009, as it is now, that the root cause of violence and anger in both the north and south of Nigeria is endemic poverty and hopelessness. Influential Nigerians from Maiduguri, where Boko Haram is centered, pleaded with Mr. Jonathan’s government in June and July not to respond to Boko Haram with force alone. Likewise, the American ambassador, Terence P. McCulley, has emphasized, both privately and publicly, that the government must address socio-economic deprivation, which is most severe in the north. No one seems to be listening.[/i]

https://www.nairaland.com/1243243/us-boko-haram-franchise-hired

Now you can go ahead and castigate Bishop Kuka, Rev ackson, The American Ambassador and New York Times for being tribalistic as you are accusing Gen. Buhari in a thinly veiled attempt to score cheap political points on behalf of your benevolent paying masters.

BTW, how has military might so far succeeded in elimination boko haram? Where has the use of force alone overcome terrorism? - ask the Americans about their success in the Middle East and Asia.
@OP. You were looking for points abi? I think this just about covers it. The attempt to blackmail buhari has failed. Next propaganda please.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by BabaEleko(m): 6:42am On Nov 16, 2013
God has blessed Buhari with respect, discipline and patriotism which he holds to a high esteem to this country. I used to have a bad perception about Buhari and secretly hated him after reading what mofr4kax be talking about him on NL but then I discovered none of these people have a concrete evidence against him for sponsoring or directly linked to boko haram or any illegal group. With the rate at which Jonathan's govt is quick to crush any perceived opposition, I tell you, if they've got anything against Buhari, he would have been long gone. Jonathan and his people would have made it a top priority to silence one of the most powerful opposition force to their govt. I thought for a minute then I went and did my research and was blown away to find out that Buhari is one of the most humble and disciplined statesman Nigeria has today and only zombies and religious bigots come on here everyday to talk bullshit pulling out that stale religious card about this humble man.

BUHARI: Who God have bless, no man can curse. He'll go down as one of the best leader Nigeria never had in this republic because the powers that are holding this country hostage towards the path of utmost backwardness will expend as many innocent lives as possible in order to protect their personal power aggrandizement using their weapon of mass destruction I.e BH. . SAI BUHARI!!!!
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by holyvirgin: 7:08am On Nov 16, 2013
May the blood of all those people innocently murdered by bokoharam in their course of fighting modern education and technology be upon buhari and all those who support buhari.

I will always say it and it will forever stand that the likes of Buhari will never hold any political office nor win elections again. Grant Bokoharam Amnesty my foot.

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Tittos: 9:18am On Nov 16, 2013
SLIDE waxie: is it too hard for u guys to think?

It is arrant nonsense! What points would u want again!

Tell me, were ur brothers not granted amnesty? Why are the boko harams not accorded with the same treatment and method a Northern president accorded ur brothers with? Did yar adua declared a state of emergency in the eatern states?

It is hard to admit but in truth, ur brothers shouldn't av been granted amnesty at all. The result of that mistake is boko haram!!

i bet they were expecting amnesty too...

It is just safe and human to ask why they weren't granted one wen we have a case of ur brothers being granted amnesty!

You are just an hypocrite!

Like he said, dnt get pained yet, the real pain is at hand!
No,it is you that find it hard to think or even read..There is a big difference between militancy and terrorism. Amnesty should never be granted to terrorists. The last time I checked MEND were granted amnesty for militancy not terrorism,if not henry Okah shouldn't be in jail but should be enjoying the amnesty that was granted to him before he bombed eagle square.Name one Niger Delta person that bombed people and the government gave him amnesty. So why should bokoharam be given amnesty for bombing people. I don't like GEJ but Buhari is not a better replacement..If APC can't get a more intellectual and level headed northerner like Ribadu then we can as well try a totally new party that isn't pdp or apc..

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by MeAboki(m): 2:07pm On Nov 16, 2013
^^^^ HHmmnn, Militants not Terrorists: Pls can you remind us about the modus operandi of these so called militants? Did they; bombed, killed, kidnapped, robbed, maimed, injured and generally instilled fear & terror in the hearts and minds of the people and govts in the areas in which they operated?

Remember, Mandela was once a terrorist, same also was Winston Churchill: militants, terrorists, freedom fighters - are all different labels for the same thing, since essentially they all cause the same effect; the difference being from whose political perspective they are being viewed from at the time.

However, the issue at hand should be how to deal with the problem, which is causing so much loss of innocent lives and property: BH killing civilians, the JTF also doing the same and they killing each other - leading to untold hardship, hatred, pain and suffering and complete breakdown of security, and law and order.

Should complete force (military option) be the answer or the opposite (blanket amnesty) or a bit of both?

Like I had said before, brutal force had never completely worked; ask the Americans how they are fairing in Afghanistan, Pakistan etc; because rather than winning hearts and minds such methods usually end up brutalizing the local population instead of liberating them from the grips of terror, in view of the strong-arm tactics approach i.e. behaving like bulls in a china shop e.g. troops not minding the local values of religion and tradition, thereby driving some among the local to seek revenge from the folds of the terrorists - there are signs that this is also happening in Nigeria.

On the other hand, amnesty offers a way out for the moderates and less indoctrinated thereby reducing the ranks of the terrorists and weakening them, thereby only reserving brute force for the fewer remaining hardcore element s among them.
This is the surest way of minimizing human loss on all sides and particularly the self-defeating collateral damage.

I would like to agree with the poster from ND who said the Yar'adua/Johnathan amnesty to the militants, involving giving of money and contracts, was wrong because it was sending the wrong signal to others and amounted to rewarding of wrong doing.
For me, amnesty in both cases (militants & BH) should amount to freedom from prosecution and an opportunity back into the folds of society as a law abiding citizen, with minimal support to remain so, in return for laying down arms and cessation of hostilities - nothing more nothing less.
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Tittos: 2:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
Dude,MEND's modus operandi was to kidnapp people and demand for ransom and to bomb government facilities while bokoharam is to bomb people..there are totally different and I wish to repeat that the only MEND that has tried bombing people are being hunted and their leader in an SA prison..The last I checked ,the amnesty didn't cover them..
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:52pm On Nov 16, 2013
Tittos: Dude,MEND's modus operandi was to kidnapp people and demand for ransom and to bomb government facilities while bokoharam is to bomb people..there are totally different and I wish to repeat that the only MEND that has tried bombing people are being hunted and their leader in an SA prison..The last I checked ,the amnesty didn't cover them..
Sir, u are dumber than i thought!
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Chylo(m): 10:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Sir, u are dumber than i thought!

Listen, we know that amnesty is only necessary when someone has done something wrong. However, it takes a strong moral compass to know when a pardon is acceptable.

It is reprehensible to think that a group that has taken delight in killing and maiming little children and women and innocent men is worthy of pardon. What now makes it worse is that they are unrepentant, saying that it is FG (that is, the people they are killing, that is, the rest of nigerians) that need amnesty. How can you guys now come and defend them It beats my understanding!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by chimex38: 10:40pm On Nov 16, 2013
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Tittos: 10:53pm On Nov 16, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Sir, u are dumber than i thought!
So,typical of you,when you are hit with hard facts,you begin to insult the person. Now what is dumb in what I wrote. May be am dumber than you thought. After all a nation where Buhari and GEj are considered popular presidential candidates would obviously be filled with a lot of dumb peeps,but that still doesn't change the truth which you can't deny. Won't bother stooping low to start exchanging banters with you because am above. If you think am incorrect,pray,tell,what is incorrect about that. otherwise the joke is on you
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by wecan: 11:04pm On Nov 16, 2013
Toktee: Nonesense;>,you are not in pains but the pains will come the buhari will once again be called nigerian president,,,,,what is your problem,the niger delta militans that are enjoying amnesty today kill many and caused alot of pains to nigerian gvt,they introduced bombing in nigeria,so why arew you not angry with the people that initiate amnesty for them(militants),return the money to whoever pay you to ruubish buhari name.

He made a very good point. Bring your Boko Haram boys to Abuja today and you will see that GEJ will give them all their heart desire. You should stop sucking blood, you vampires.
Re: Buhari's Pathetic Utterances by Chylo(m): 6:25pm On Nov 18, 2013
wecan:

He made a very good point. Bring your Boko Haram boys to Abuja today and you will see that GEJ will give them all their heart desire. You should stop sucking blood, you vampires.

I agree, 100%

(1) (Reply)

US Shale Output Causes Anxiety For African Oil Producers / Bomb Blast In Kano / Two Mad Lagosians To Be Deported Back To Lagos By Akwa Ibom State Government -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.