Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (7745 Views)

Amaechi Approves Commencement Of Port Harcourt-Aba Mass Transit Train Service / Lagos - Kano Train: 43 Hours Journey, Declining Passenger Interest / 3rd Lagos-Kano Train Service Flagged Off Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by awodman: 5:47am On Jul 21, 2013
The Nigerian Railway Corporation has increased its weekly Lagos-Kano passenger train service to three with the introduction of another train as part of the first phase
Capacity Enhancement Programme.

A statement by the NRC on Friday noted that the new train service will depart Iddo (Lagos) at 11.00am and is
scheduled to arrive in Kano at 5pm the following day.

The statement signed by Assistant Director (Public
Relations), Mr. David Ndakotsu, said that the introduction
of this service would result in an increase in the number of passengers moved between Lagos and Kano, from the
present 3,500 weekly to about 5,500 weekly.

It will be recalled that the first weekly Lagos to Kano
passenger train service, which departs Lagos at 12 noon
on Friday commenced on December 21, 2012.

Later, the second weekly train service was introduced,
departing Lagos at 9am on Tuesday and terminating in
Ilorin with a connecting service from Offa to Kano.

The statement explained that it is anticipated that the
introduction of the third weekly Lagos to Kano passenger
train service would help to decongest existing services and avail passengers a more comfortable and pleasant journey.

It disclosed that the next service to be introduced in the
corporation's Capacity Enhancement Programme would be the haulage of bran and wheat flour for Dufil Prima foods (Indomie).

It said that 436 tonnes of the product were expected to be moved weekly from Apapa to Kaduna, adding that the
service would commence before the end of July.

"Furthermore the corporation will in August commence the haulage of container freight from APM terminal in Apapa Port to Inland Container Nigeria Limited, container depots in Kaduna and Kano," the statement said.

The NRC Managing Director, Mr. Seyi Sijuwade, had also
confirmed that the intended public private partnership
initiatives would further enhance the capacity of train
services across the country.

Source:mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/business/nrc-commences-third-weekly-lagos-kano-train-service/

1 Like

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Nobody: 6:09am On Jul 21, 2013
@OP..,God bless you for this report. This is great news. I love DEVELOPMENT, and this is it.

I'm particularly pleased about the train that'll soon commence services around the port area. The congestion that has been a problem along the Lagos-Kano route will also ease a bit.

This is a president that promises and delivers. One step at a time, we'll get there.

FRESH AIR everywhere you go!

9 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by fockusexkills: 6:22am On Jul 21, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @OP..,God bless you for this report. This is great news. I love DEVELOPMENT, and this is it. I would have danced Azonto now if not that I'm pregnant.

I'm particularly pleased about the train that'll soon commence services around the port area. The congestion that has been a problem along the Lagos-Kano route will also ease a bit.

This is a president that promises and delivers. One step at a time, we'll get there.

FRESH AIR everywhere you go!

President that promised and delivered what? Really? Where is the light we supposed to have by end of 2012? Where are the 36 new aiports? Where are the good roads? Where is the corruption fight promised? Where is the fresh air promised? How many of our rifineries working? Where are the 100 buses promised after the oil subsidy saga?

All we got so far is voodoo arithmetic; ala 5 greater than 29, 16 greater than 19, his wife harassing a sitting democratically elected Governor.

2015 is around the corner.

7 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Maxymilliano(m): 6:48am On Jul 21, 2013
awodman:
It disclosed that the next service to be introduced in the corporation's Capacity Enhancement Programme would be the haulage of bran and wheat flour for Dufil Prima foods (Indomie).

"Furthermore the corporation will in August commence the haulage of container freight from APM terminal in Apapa Port to Inland Container Nigeria Limited, container depots in Kaduna and Kano," the statement said.

This will be a good initiative and a veritable boost to revenue generation for the corporation if properly managed.

3 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by awodman: 6:55am On Jul 21, 2013
Maxymilliano:

This will be a good initiative and a veritable boost to revenue generation for the corporation if properly managed.

Exactly and remember it will also ease the pressure off our roads...a similar post in which the APM terminal boss talked about not knowing what is hindering the kick-off made the frontpage

@topic I never knew a 2nd service has been introduced and now a third..this goes clearly to show that guys in NRC and transport ministry are not dormant but aggressively pushing the business.This will solve the problems of congestion of trains because of the flexibility it will offer and will even increase the passenger strength.Looking forward to when they will be running Daily Services with better improved coaches

@sincere 9gerian PREGNANT??

5 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 21, 2013
Please this Fresh Rail Air (FRA) should be extended to Eastern Nigeria sharp sharp. The North and West are the ones benefiting most in this administration yet,some mofos from North and South don't know how to show appreciate a man who is giving them what their own kingsmen could not give them. GEJ is the golden leader!!!!!!!!!

5 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by jmaine: 8:16am On Jul 21, 2013
awodman:
@sincere 9gerian PREGNANT??

Interesting right grin . . . .
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by geeez: 8:29am On Jul 21, 2013
5,500 passengers weekly

Other train services move ten times that in one minute. Does this call for celebration?

Is this the same train service a N'Lander once had a gruesome travel experience with?

Tha Lagos Blue Line plans to move 400,000 passengers daily and a projected 5,500 passengers daily is enough for some brain dead people to start dancing azonto?

Wake me up when I can travel from Lagos to Kano on train in 4-5hours.

Till then, this, to me is a shame

6 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by awodman: 9:12am On Jul 21, 2013
geeez:

5,500 passengers weekly

Other train services move ten times that in one minute. Does this call for celebration?

Is this the same train service a N'Lander once had a gruesome travel experience with?

Tha Lagos Blue Line plans to move 400,000 passengers daily and a projected 5,500 passengers daily is enough for some brain dead people to start dancing azonto?

Seems you have comprehension problems...where was it stated in the article that the projection is 5,500 passengers?...didn't you see where it was stated that the current capacity of 3,500 passengers will increase to 5,500 when this new service kicks off and it will only get better...

4 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by awodman: 9:14am On Jul 21, 2013
jmaine:

Interesting right grin . . . .
Very interesting my brother...

@chidindufrank the eastern rail line from Ph-Maidugiri is been rehabilitated and will come into use by the end of the year...

2 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by emiye(m): 9:24am On Jul 21, 2013
So Lagos to kano is officially 29 hours on nigerian train !

1 Like

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by geeez: 9:43am On Jul 21, 2013
awodman:
Seems you have comprehension problems...where was it stated in the article that the projection is 5,500 passengers?...didn't you see where it was stated that the current capacity of 3,500 passengers will increase to 5,500 when this new service kicks off and it will only get better...

Until you know the meaning of the word 'projection', then consider yourself a brain damaged for making that post. What's the relationship between 'projection' and 'project'? Your assignment for the day
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by canalily(m): 10:14am On Jul 21, 2013
angry Ah ah? When did they post this topic way peple don coment reach this length? Well make jst sip my red wine small cos today is sunday.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by blackbeau1(f): 10:17am On Jul 21, 2013
29 hours journey? Blood of Jesus.

1 Like

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Itoroetti(m): 10:19am On Jul 21, 2013
With all this good news,by 2015 even the best critics will believe that GEJ is de best thing that happened to nigeria since inception.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 21, 2013
See people rejoicing over a carcass. Na wa oh. Someone that sees the new tomtom wrap is saying gej is working.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by taharqa2: 10:22am On Jul 21, 2013
Another Good one... Shebi, it was cos of what they called 'initial capacity issues' that made d people who released the 'Report' that @Gbawe posted yterday to simply dismiss all d work going on in d Rails sector? As if Capacity Maximization is immediately attained whilst still in d beginning of revamping a previously DEAD infrastructure?? After GEJ recommissioned d Lagos Intercity train Service in 2011, it started with just 1 train per day; and then move to 6 per day; then 12 and today, 18 train service ferry about 30,000 persons Every Single Day. That is how it usuali happens anywhere. This same Lagos-Kano Train Service started 7 months ago with just a Single train each week; then it became 2, and now 3. Eventuali, it wud become at least 7 train Service each week ferrying both PASSENGERS and CARGOES, just as it was more than 20 years ago b4 previous Govts killed it. That is what is called PROGRESS- bit by bit, as long as one is working and moving in the right direction.... Eventuali, according to d Govt's 25 years Railways Intermodal Strategy, this Older narrow guage wud be used to ferry MOSTLY Cargoes/Goods; whilst the Modern Rail Guages currently unda construction by this Govt (as well as many others whose Feasibility Studies is currently been undataken), wud be used MOSTLY to ferry Passengers. Again, that is how PROGRESS is defined...

6 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 21, 2013
geeez:

5,500 passengers weekly

My brother, looks like we will be sleeping for eternity, cos that kind of train will NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER come to this country where ordinary laying of pipe and and pumping water thru it is a mere dream. NO HOPE.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by taharqa2: 10:27am On Jul 21, 2013
awodman:

It disclosed that the next service to be introduced in the
corporation's Capacity Enhancement Programme would be the haulage of bran and wheat flour for Dufil Prima foods (Indomie).

It said that 436 tonnes of the product were expected to be moved weekly from Apapa to Kaduna, adding that the
service would commence before the end of July.

The NRC Managing Director, Mr. Seyi Sijuwade, had also
confirmed that the intended public private partnership
initiatives would further enhance the capacity of train
services across the country

Source:mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/business/nrc-commences-third-weekly-lagos-kano-train-service/
This is more like it.... Kudos to d NRC guys
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by SNOWWHITE240(m): 10:27am On Jul 21, 2013
for me the train is 2 slow 29hrs frm lag to kano cant dey sign contract wit japan or china to bring d type they operate in thier ctry modern speed trains

1 Like

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Hunkuyee: 10:31am On Jul 21, 2013
Jonathan deserve our commendation as he promised and delivered
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by WHIZBRO(m): 10:35am On Jul 21, 2013
*comes in with a koboko and chases all the P's and C's laptop dogs and paid hacks from thread, specially reserving 60 strokes for Insincere9igerian.

@insincere9igerian I'm sure your 'defiler-in-chief' Goodluck Retardinho is responsible for that pregnancy... #Gay sex is bad

So we are supposed to be grateful for these World War II locomotives... Never try to discern the african mind... What a pathetic existence in the Country of Paedophiles and 'Fresh Air'
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by ogoplus: 10:36am On Jul 21, 2013
Please does anyone know the the exact schedules and fare for Lagos-Kano train service?

I mean which days of the week does the train depart from Lagos and do I need to book in-advance or are can I buy tickets on the spot at the train station.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by kutchs: 10:37am On Jul 21, 2013
al-qaeda:
See people rejoicing over a carcass. Na wa oh. Someone that sees the new tomtom wrap is saying gej is working.

A carcass yes but still moving people and goods across nonetheless. If your brothers who were there had done the needful perhaps we would have been talking of a 2 hrs drive to Kano.
Let me celebrate this carcass at least it shows something is being done.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 21, 2013
geeez:

Until you know the meaning of the word 'projection', then consider yourself a brain damaged for making that post. What's the relationship between 'projection' and 'project'? Your assignment for the day
men, this train business is blood money. I believe government and nrc should only build and maintain rail tracks and allow private investors to rent the rails and fix ultra modern coaches on it.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 21, 2013
emiye: So Lagos to kano is officially 29 hours on nigerian train !
There are now 3 options for those willing to travel from Lagos to Kano: air, road or RAIL. Air transport is out of the reach of most Nigerians so the COMPETITION really is between road and rail transport.

Now lets compare road and rail transport:

A bus journey from Lagos to Kano costs roughly N5,000. And it lasts about 25 – 28 hours (Average from Premium Times)
https://www.nairaland.com/1335980/premium-times-train-trip-kano

But if the same journey is done by train, it costs N1,900 (second class) and it lasts 30 to 33hours.

Now lets bring in the safety factor. Obviously, it is far far safer to travel by rail than by road.

So, if you were to choose between rail and road, which would you choose? I would go for rail any day, any time. The choice is yours

2 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by emiye(m): 10:47am On Jul 21, 2013
black_beau: 29 hours journey? Blood of Jesus.

the 29 hours is official, by the time you add almost certain issues/delays with logistics et al, you might be on the journey for another extra 5 hours or more (29 + 5)=34 hours.

BTW, i think it is more suitable for the train to be used in ferrying goods, that is the positive angle to this.

1 Like

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by talk2s(m): 10:51am On Jul 21, 2013
Bleep.u.sexkills:

President that promised and delivered what? Really? Where is the light we supposed to have by end of 2012? Where are the 36 new aiports? Where are the good roads? Where is the corruption fight promised? Where is the fresh air promised? How many of our rifineries working? Where are the 100 buses promised after the oil subsidy saga?

All we got so far is voodoo arithmetic; ala 5 greater than 29, 16 greater than 19, his wife harassing a sitting democratically elected Governor.

2015 is around the corner.

U're a sadist.
U've a problem with ur state of mine.
Better grow up, lst, u die young!

3 Likes

Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Proxytalk: 10:54am On Jul 21, 2013
[quote author=Bleep.u.sexkills]

All we got so far is voodoo arithmetic; ala 5 greater than 29, 16 greater than 19, his wife harassing a sitting
1000 unlikes
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by clint77ng: 10:59am On Jul 21, 2013
[quote
author=Bleep.u.sexkills]

President that promised and delivered what? Really? Where is the light
we supposed to have by end of 2012? Where are the 36 new aiports? Where
are the good roads? Where is the corruption fight promised? Where is the
fresh air promised? How many of our rifineries working? Where are the
100 buses promised after the oil subsidy saga?

All we got so far is voodoo arithmetic; ala 5 greater than 29, 16
greater than 19, his wife harassing a sitting democratically elected
Governor.

2015 is around the corner.[/quote]Remember she said one step at a time, bloody hater.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Noblechyk: 10:59am On Jul 21, 2013
kutchs:

A carcass yes but still moving people and goods across nonetheless. If your brothers who were there had done the needful perhaps we would have been talking of a 2 hrs drive to Kano.
Let me celebrate this carcass at least it shows something is being done.
Silence is not always d best answer 2 a fool. Tnx 4 talking some sense into his empty skul.
Re: NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service by Noblechyk: 11:02am On Jul 21, 2013
Slow & steady; we 'll surely get there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olusegun Banjo And Olawale Oluwo Deny Indicting Ambode Before Assembly Panel / I Laughed For Good 30 mins. Reading This Tweet By Reno / Poison Fire - A Documentary On Shell's Wanton Destruction Of The Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.