Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,290 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True (20421 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by monex(m): 1:13pm On Aug 25, 2013
BizBooks:

I have looked at the VIN report you forwarded to me and wish to add the following:

1. The vehicle is a 2007 not 2008 model. It says so on the VIN report. You can also tell
by the number 7 which appears at the 10th position of the VIN: 4T1BK46K97U012245

2. It passed emission and safety inspection each year it was tested which is a good thing.

3. It is a one owner car which is also a good thing.

4. It was used in Texas which explains the very high mileage. Texas is a very big state and
getting from one end to the other takes hours. The owner was driving an average of 30,000
miles a year which indicates that his place of work is far from his home. The US average is
about 15,000 miles a year.

Would you have bought this car at the price you did if you had known all these facts? I don't
think so. Next time, do a VIN check before buying no matter how clean the car looks.

i def wouldnt. my loss. thanks for the education. i guess i will be smarter next time
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 1:37pm On Aug 26, 2013
monex:

i would def not have. i would have rather preferred a lower mileage car and pay more.

what i want to knw is hw bad this mileage is and if i have bought this car @ a high premium

You are one in few Nigerians . . . Keep it up
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by monex(m): 4:51pm On Aug 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

You are one in few Nigerians . . . Keep it up
thanks Fhemmy.

but i want to know hw bad this mileage is and if i can still manage it as is.

also what shld be the cost this car. just to know if i bough at a very high premium
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Lexusgs430: 7:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
monex:
thanks Fhemmy.

also what shld be the cost this car. just to know if i bough at a very high premium

You have already bought a clocked vehicle, and would have to live with the consequences, and yes you bought the car @ a high price.
Take the vin check report to the dealer that sold the car to you ( he is most likely the person, that clocked the car )
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2013
monex:
thanks Fhemmy.

I can't imagine what would have happened assuming you bought it from a dealer on NL. Im afraid,you have to live with it.
Here are few tips you can do to keep the Car up & running.

- Replace engine air filter

- Rotate tires

- Replace engine oil and oil filter

- Clean and Adjust rear brakes

- Replace platinum spark plugs @ 60k miles only

- Replace resistor spark plugs

- Inspect the following:

Ball joints and dust covers

Brake lines and hoses

Brake linings,drums,brake pads and discs

Fuel lines and connections

Fuel Tank Band and Fuel Tank

Vapor vent system hoses

Exhaust pipes and mountings

Steering whee,linkage and boots

charcoal canister

Differential Oil

Drive belts

Drive shaft boots

Fuel Tank cap gasket

Steering gear box

Engine Valve Clearance

Transmission Fluid or Oil

- Service Battery

- Inspect nuts and bolts on chasis and body

- Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid

- Replace front wiper inserts

- Replace manual Transmission oil

- Oil and fuel additive

https://www.nairaland.com/1118629/automobile-maintenance-menu
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 2:29am On Aug 27, 2013
calculusx:

I can't imagine what would have happened assuming you bought it from a dealer on NL. Im afraid,you have to live with it.
Here are few tips you can do to keep the Car up & running.

- Replace engine air filter

- Rotate tires

- Replace engine oil and oil filter

- Clean and Adjust rear brakes

- Replace platinum spark plugs @ 60k miles only

- Replace resistor spark plugs

- Inspect the following:

Ball joints and dust covers

Brake lines and hoses

Brake linings,drums,brake pads and discs

Fuel lines and connections

Fuel Tank Band and Fuel Tank

Vapor vent system hoses

Exhaust pipes and mountings

Steering whee,linkage and boots

charcoal canister

Differential Oil

Drive belts

Drive shaft boots

Fuel Tank cap gasket

Steering gear box

Engine Valve Clearance

Transmission Fluid or Oil

- Service Battery

- Inspect nuts and bolts on chasis and body

- Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid

- Replace front wiper inserts

- Replace manual Transmission oil

- Oil and fuel additive

https://www.nairaland.com/1118629/automobile-maintenance-menu

Ummmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 4:53am On Aug 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿....im still wondering what would have happened to such dealer. He would have been labell so many Names and his Name would have hit the front page many times. L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 1:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
calculusx:

L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿....im still wondering what would have happened to such dealer. He would have been labell so many Names and his Name would have hit the front page many times. L̳̿Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇L̳̿

Sans Commante oh, My brother . . .Intentionally rolling back the odometer is not a good thing
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Lexusgs430: 5:02pm On Aug 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Sans Commante oh, My brother . . .Intentionally rolling back the odometer is not a good thing

Cars are clocked for 3 reasons -:
(1) Misrepresenting a vehicle (to maximise profit)
(2) Deceiving a potential buyer (buyer thinks they have bought a peach, but unknowingly, bought a lemon)
(3) Any other reasons
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Lamexx(m): 10:55pm On Dec 16, 2013
Fhemmmy, Calculusx, Monex and other car gurus I need your input here. Please I am somehow in a fix. I saw a 2006 Infiniti FX 35 (with Sport, Technology and Touring packages included) with original mileage of 131,000 miles going for $15,990. It looks clean in and out but has had 3 owners. I complained to the dealer about the mileage in relation to the price and further insisted that I would buy the car at a price of $14900. I just want to know whether I had a good deal at $14900 or I could have gotten it for a lower cost considering that it has all the option and it was equally maintained. What do you suggest would have been an ideal price for a car with options and mileage like that.

Do you consider a 2006 car with mileage of 131,000 as high mileage too. Urgently awaiting your response guys.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Lexusgs430: 12:15am On Dec 17, 2013
La mexx: Fhemmmy, Calculusx, Monex and other car gurus I need your input here. Please I am somehow in a fix. I saw a 2006 Infiniti FX 35 (with Sport, Technology and Touring packages included) with original mileage of 131,000 miles going for $15,990. It looks clean in and out but has had 3 owners. I complained to the dealer about the mileage in relation to the price and further insisted that I would buy the car at a price of $14900. I just want to know whether I had a good deal at $14900 or I could have gotten it for a lower cost considering that it has all the option and it was equally maintained. What do you suggest would have been an ideal price for a car with options and mileage like that.

Do you consider a 2006 car with mileage of 131,000 as high mileage too. Urgently awaiting your response guys.

My personal opinion. I think 131,000 miles for a 7 year old car is a bit high,considering the average mile per year should be 10,000. I also think the offered price is too high in relation to present mileage.
If you are prepared to drive the car till the engine drops, and you can further reduce your offer price. The purchase might be worthwhile.
Also consider the miles you will add to the vehicle, and how that would affect future sales (if you buy and intend to sell @ a later date) and price obtainable.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:33am On Dec 17, 2013
Lexusgs430:

My personal opinion. I think 131,000 miles for a 7 year old car is a bit high,considering the average mile per year should be 10,000. I also think the offered price is too high in relation to present mileage.
If you are prepared to drive the car till the engine drops, and you can further reduce your offer price. The purchase might be worthwhile.
Also consider the miles you will add to the vehicle, and how that would affect future sales (if you buy and intend to sell @ a later date) and price obtainable.

The 10,000 to 12,000 mile rule should be considered average, I clocked almost 30,000 miles in 1 year of driving and I am sure such exceptions to the rule exist overseas.

And at the slightest sound or notice of change in car operating parameters, I am off to fix the car, so mileage is important for aforementioned reasons, but a well-maintained vehicle (low or high mileage) and a trustworthy dealer are for me the way to go!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by bellong: 9:13am On Dec 17, 2013
La mexx:

I think the average mileage per year is even 15k and not 10k. What you should consider now is if most of the mileage are highway mileage. Some car owners purposely drive their vehicles to transverse states or coast to coast.

US is a big country with vast of miles to cover. If the car is well maintained with the periodic maintenance done, its not a bad bargain. However, you can still push your luck for a $14k/$14.5 price.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:16am On Dec 17, 2013
Related and relevant question, its a Carfax 1 Owner Vehicle but it also has Accident/Damage reported but it looks good and runs good. Its a 2004 year vehicle and it has 130,000 on the odometer and there is no indication of an odometer rollback. Would you buy?
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by bellong: 9:23am On Dec 17, 2013
IdaraCHODB: Related and relevant question, its a Carfax 1 Owner Vehicle but it also has Accident/Damage reported but it looks good and runs good. Its a 2004 year vehicle and it has 130,000 on the odometer and there is no indication of an odometer rollback. Would you buy?

I wouldn't buy because I have no idea of the type of accident whether it is a structural damage or another. You can always get an issue free car for the same price.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BizBooks(m): 11:53am On Dec 17, 2013
La mexx: Fhemmmy, Calculusx, Monex and other car gurus I need your input here. Please I am somehow in a fix. I saw a 2006 Infiniti FX 35 (with Sport, Technology and Touring packages included) with original mileage of 131,000 miles going for $15,990. It looks clean in and out but has had 3 owners.

The FX35 is a luxury SUV unlike the Highlander and Pathfinder. It can be very
expensive to fix if it breaks down. I'm speaking from a friend's experience. Also
a 2006 vehicle with 3 owners is a bit unsettling. You are about to be the 4th owner
in 7 years. It could be that each subsequent owner discovers something unpleasant
with the vehicle and gets rid of it.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2013
La mexx: Fhemmmy, Calculusx, Monex and other car gurus I need your input here. Please I am somehow in a fix. I saw a 2006 Infiniti FX 35 (with Sport, Technology and Touring packages included) with original mileage of 131,000 miles going for $15,990. It looks clean in and out but has had 3 owners. I complained to the dealer about the mileage in relation to the price and further insisted that I would buy the car at a price of $14900. I just want to know whether I had a good deal at $14900 or I could have gotten it for a lower cost considering that it has all the option and it was equally maintained. What do you suggest would have been an ideal price for a car with options and mileage like that.

Bellong have said it better. I have seen {US Auction} where high mileage Car was sold for higher value than a low mileage Car. That is where the issue of maintenance comes into play. I have concluded on my mind that mileage is just a number, so far i know the original mileage,i know which part to change or rotate at a particular mile. You can still bargain very well on the price though.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 12:06pm On Dec 17, 2013
IdaraCHODB: Related and relevant question, its a Carfax 1 Owner Vehicle but it also has Accident/Damage reported but it looks good and runs good. Its a 2004 year vehicle and it has 130,000 on the odometer and there is no indication of an odometer rollback. Would you buy?

If a detailed information of the accident is provided in the report,i can use it as my deciding factor. The mileage is average for a 9yr old Vehicle using 15,000 average miles per annum but we always ignore an important NOTE on Carfax Report '' Not all damage or accident are reported to Carfax or Auto-check''. How sure are you those with Clean Title have not had any unreported accident before

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Lamexx(m): 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2013
This is getting quite interesting. I just ordered for the CarFax and this was what I got. Even though I can't really interprete much out of it but I think it may have been serviced thrice within the 7 year period. I like to know parts that I may consider changing in the nearest future. Meanwhile here is the vehicle history. Abeg help me scrutinize it.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report
Vehicle Information: 2006 INFINITI FX35
VIN: JNRAS08W26X201549
4 DOOR WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
3.5L V6 FI DOHC 24V
4 WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

No accident/damage reported
No accident / damage reported to CARFAX
3 Previous owners
Service information available
3 Service records available
Registered as a personal vehicle
Types of owners: Personal lease, Personal
Last reported odometer reading/mileage: 131,738 miles
CARFAX Price Adjustment
$270 Below retail book value

This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX and available as of 12/17/13 at 6:33:59 AM (EST). Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Ownership History
The number of owners is estimated Owner 1 Owner 2 Owner 3
Year purchased 2006 2008 2011
Type of owner Personal lease Personal Personal
Estimated length of ownership 1 yr. 1 mo. 2 yrs. 10 mo. 2 yrs. 7 mo.
Owned in the following states/provinces New Jersey New Jersey,Pennsyl Pennsylvania
Estimated miles driven per year 13,203/yr 24,015/yr ---
Last reported odometer reading 14,723 83,918 131,738
Title History
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Owner 1 Owner 2 Owner 3

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire | Flood | Hail | Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. View Certificate
Additional History
Not all accidents / issues are reported to CARFAX Owner 1 Owner 2 Owner 3

Total Loss
No total loss reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Structural Damage
No structural damage reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Odometer Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.
No Issues Indicated
No Issues Indicated
No Issues Indicated

Accident / Damage
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX.
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported
No Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall
Check with an authorized Infiniti dealer for any open recalls.
No Recalls Reported
No Recalls Reported
No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty
Original warranty estimated to have expired.
Warranty
Expired
Warranty
Expired
Warranty
Expired

Detailed History

Owner 1
Purchased: 2006
Type: Personal lease
Where: New Jersey
Est. miles/year: 13,203/yr
Est. length owned: 10/25/06 - 12/6/07 (1 yr. 1 mo.)

Low mileage! This owner drove less than the industry average of 15,000 miles per year.
Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
01/17/2006 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer
10/10/2006 901 Dealer Inventory
Bridgewater, NJ Vehicle offered for sale
10/25/2006 973 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Sacramento, CA
Title issued or updated Registration issued or renewed
Title #GD20062980929 First owner reported
Titled or registered as personal lease vehicle
Vehicle color noted as Gray
12/06/2007 14,723 Auto Auction Listed as a manufacturer vehicle
Pennsylvania Sold at auction

03/08/2008 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Thorofare, NJ Registration issued or renewed
Vehicle color noted as Gray

Owner 2
Purchased: 2008
Type: Personal
Where: New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Est. miles/year: 24,015/yr
Est. length owned: 3/8/08 - 1/25/11 (2 yrs. 10 mo.)

03/08/2008 14,735 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Thorofare, NJ
Title #DE20080680161 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported
03/14/2008 16,532 Inspection Co.
New Jersey Inspection performed

01/22/2011 83,821 Davis Acura
Langhorne, PA 215-943-7000
davisacura.com Recommended maintenance performed

01/25/2011 Davis Acura
Langhorne, PA 215-943-7000
davisacura.com Vehicle offered for sale

03/01/2011 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Langhorne, PA
Title #69235863DA01 Title issued or updated

03/30/2011 83,918 Davis Acura
Langhorne, PA215-943-7000
davisacura.com Vehicle sold

Owner 3
Purchased: 2011
Type: Personal
Where: Pennsylvania
Est. length owned: 3/30/11 - 11/14/13 (2 yrs. 7 mo.)

03/30/2011 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept. Vehicle purchase reported

04/01/2011 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Center Valley, PA
Title #69235863BE02 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported
03/01/2012 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Center Valley, PA
Title #69235863BE02 Registration issued or renewed

02/26/2013 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Center Valley, PA
Title #69235863BE02 Registration issued or renewed

10/21/2013 129,287 Bennett Infiniti of Allentown Maintenance inspection completed
Allentown, PA 610-398-9100 Tire condition and pressure checked
bennettcars.com

11/14/2013 131,735 Faulkner Chevrolet Vehicle offered for sale
Lancaster, PA 717-299-0961

11/16/2013 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
11/18/2013 131,738 Faulkner Chevrolet
Lancaster, PA 717-299-0961 Pre-delivery inspection completed
Maintenance inspection completed
State emissions inspection completed
Exhaust system checked
State safety inspection completed
Oil and filter changed
Washed/detailed
Wiper(s) replaced
Rear brakes serviced/adjusted
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by calculusx(m): 4:05am On Dec 18, 2013
La mexx:
This CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX and available as of 12/17/13 at 6:33:59 AM (EST). Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Once the above is done and price is fair,i think you are good to go.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Princenady(m): 7:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
someone wants to sell a toks camry 2000 with almost 300k mileage on d ODO at N1M. Should i go for it and please how do I get VIN of d vehicle.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by computerglobal(m): 12:42am On May 25, 2017
For Your Vehicle History Report
Autocheck Report
Carfax Report
NMVTIS Report
Available
Sms ur Vin / Chassis no To 08060365068
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Dereformer(m): 8:57am On May 26, 2017
computerglobal:
For Your Vehicle History Report

Autocheck Report

Carfax Report

NMVTIS Report

Available

Sms ur Vin / Chassis no To 08060365068

Good

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Nobody: 11:58am On May 26, 2017
now i know better thanks fhemmy,i bought my Golf 4 variant 2002 model in January with mileage of 222526.ah but it has never had engine problem.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by legendsilver(m): 12:40pm On May 26, 2017
BizBooks:
In this Twitter age of 140 characters or less, most people (including myself) find it very
difficult to read long posts such as this. So if you do not have the time to read this,
here’s a summary:

1. Many Nigerian car dealers import cars with very high mileage since they are cheaper.
2. Some will not tell you that the car has very high mileage. Rather they will reduce it
drastically.
3. Do not trust the mileage of any tokunbo car you intend to buy in Nigeria. Verify the
mileage yourself via VIN check.

Here in the US, the conventional wisdom is that Nigerians don’t care about high mileage. I
have heard this from American car dealers numerous times. On one occasion, I was
negotiating price with a car dealer in New York. When I complained that the car has a very
high mileage, he asked where I was shipping it to. I replied “Nigeria” and he promptly
said: “Don’t worry. Nigerians don’t care about high mileage”. I have had similar
encounters with dealers in Chicago, Florida among others.

Now, the question is: could it be true that Nigerians don’t care about high mileage? The
answer is obviously no. Nigerians care about high mileage just as much as anybody else.
But then, how did Americans get the impression that we do not care about high mileage? The
answer lies in Nigerians that buy cars from the US for sale in Nigeria. They definitely do
not care about high mileage. In fact they seek such cars because they are much cheaper.
That’s where Americans got the impression that we do not care about high mileage.

At auctions, whenever a car with very high mileage (say 200,000 and above) comes up, the
Americans usually stand back. Nigerian dealers in attendance will then take over the
bidding especially if it is a Toyota or Honda product. I have seen Nigerian dealers buy
cars with 300,000 miles or more.

Now here comes my main reason for starting this thread. Since it has been established that
Nigerian car dealers regularly import cars with 200 or 300,000 miles, why is it that one
never sees a car for sale with 200,000 miles here and elsewhere in Nigeria? The answer is
simple. Once that car with 300,000 miles gets to Lagos, the mileage magically turns to
120,000 or less. That’s why you frequently see 1999 Toyota Camrys with 100,000 miles or
thereabout for sale in Nigeria.

The point I’m trying to make here is one I have made several times in the past. Do not
trust the mileage of any tokunbo car you see in Nigeria especially if it is an older model
car. You can only trust the mileage after you have independently done a VIN check and
verified that the stated mileage is indeed correct.

The practice of reducing the mileage on a car commonly known as odometer rollback is
illegal in the US. Doing so can land one in prison. Before selling a car to somebody, you
have to provide them with a form called Odometer Disclosure Form. On that form you will
indicate the car’s mileage and sign and swear under penalty of perjury that it is correct.
I assume that under the law, it is also illegal to roll back a car’s odometer in Nigeria.
But since that law is not enforced, nobody pays much attention to it. As a result,
odometer rollback is rampant in Nigeria.

Unfortunately, apart from running a VIN check, there is no scientific way of knowing if a
car’s odometer has been rolled back (as far as I know). A good rule of thumb is to
multiply the car’s age by 15,000 (some experts like Siena say 12,000. But let’s use 15,000
since the US is very big in land mass). So for instance to roughly estimate the mileage of
a 2000 model car, do the following:

13 (age of a 2000 model car) multiply by 15,000 = 195,000 miles (give or take a few
thousand).

Suffice it to say that this formula is not scientific. Use it as a general guide. If you
discover that the car’s mileage is much lower than the result of this formula, be cautious.

Disclosure: I also buy cars with very high mileage at auction. In fact, I have bought a
car with 180,000 miles, another with 190,000 miles and yet another with 208,000 miles.
However, I instructed my business partners back in Lagos never to reduce the mileage on my
cars. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that they adhere to this instruction since I am
not in Lagos. So treat every car’s mileage including mine with utmost suspicion.

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by computerglobal(m): 10:23pm On May 26, 2017
BizBooks:
In this Twitter age of 140 characters or less, most people (including myself) find it very
difficult to read long posts such as this. So if you do not have the time to read this,
here’s a summary:

1. Many Nigerian car dealers import cars with very high mileage since they are cheaper.
2. Some will not tell you that the car has very high mileage. Rather they will reduce it
drastically.
3. Do not trust the mileage of any tokunbo car you intend to buy in Nigeria. Verify the
mileage yourself via VIN check.

Here in the US, the conventional wisdom is that Nigerians don’t care about high mileage. I
have heard this from American car dealers numerous times. On one occasion, I was
negotiating price with a car dealer in New York. When I complained that the car has a very
high mileage, he asked where I was shipping it to. I replied “Nigeria” and he promptly
said: “Don’t worry. Nigerians don’t care about high mileage”. I have had similar
encounters with dealers in Chicago, Florida among others.

Now, the question is: could it be true that Nigerians don’t care about high mileage? The
answer is obviously no. Nigerians care about high mileage just as much as anybody else.
But then, how did Americans get the impression that we do not care about high mileage? The
answer lies in Nigerians that buy cars from the US for sale in Nigeria. They definitely do
not care about high mileage. In fact they seek such cars because they are much cheaper.
That’s where Americans got the impression that we do not care about high mileage.

At auctions, whenever a car with very high mileage (say 200,000 and above) comes up, the
Americans usually stand back. Nigerian dealers in attendance will then take over the
bidding especially if it is a Toyota or Honda product. I have seen Nigerian dealers buy
cars with 300,000 miles or more.

Now here comes my main reason for starting this thread. Since it has been established that
Nigerian car dealers regularly import cars with 200 or 300,000 miles, why is it that one
never sees a car for sale with 200,000 miles here and elsewhere in Nigeria? The answer is
simple. Once that car with 300,000 miles gets to Lagos, the mileage magically turns to
120,000 or less. That’s why you frequently see 1999 Toyota Camrys with 100,000 miles or
thereabout for sale in Nigeria.

The point I’m trying to make here is one I have made several times in the past. Do not
trust the mileage of any tokunbo car you see in Nigeria especially if it is an older model
car. You can only trust the mileage after you have independently done a VIN check and
verified that the stated mileage is indeed correct.

The practice of reducing the mileage on a car commonly known as odometer rollback is
illegal in the US. Doing so can land one in prison. Before selling a car to somebody, you
have to provide them with a form called Odometer Disclosure Form. On that form you will
indicate the car’s mileage and sign and swear under penalty of perjury that it is correct.
I assume that under the law, it is also illegal to roll back a car’s odometer in Nigeria.
But since that law is not enforced, nobody pays much attention to it. As a result,
odometer rollback is rampant in Nigeria.

Unfortunately, apart from running a VIN check, there is no scientific way of knowing if a
car’s odometer has been rolled back (as far as I know). A good rule of thumb is to
multiply the car’s age by 15,000 (some experts like Siena say 12,000. But let’s use 15,000
since the US is very big in land mass). So for instance to roughly estimate the mileage of
a 2000 model car, do the following:

13 (age of a 2000 model car) multiply by 15,000 = 195,000 miles (give or take a few
thousand).

Suffice it to say that this formula is not scientific. Use it as a general guide. If you
discover that the car’s mileage is much lower than the result of this formula, be cautious.

Disclosure: I also buy cars with very high mileage at auction. In fact, I have bought a
car with 180,000 miles, another with 190,000 miles and yet another with 208,000 miles.
However, I instructed my business partners back in Lagos never to reduce the mileage on my
cars. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that they adhere to this instruction since I am
not in Lagos. So treat every car’s mileage including mine with utmost suspicion.

For Faster and Comprehensive VIN CHECKS and REPORTD

Call or Sms VIN to 08060365068
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by CarGuideNG: 10:40am On Nov 07, 2018
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by computerglobal(m): 10:51am On Nov 07, 2018
Verify critical facts you need to buy a used car with confidence by running a Vin check report.Check the title status, previous odometer readings,flood,airbag deployment,stolen,hail,biohazard and more

Contact us on Whats-app now . Just a click away.

https:///send?phone=2348060365068

Call/Sms/Whatsapp (Vin/chassis) to +234 - 806 -036 - 5068

www.nairaland.com/computerglobal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Of The 134a car AC Gas brands is the Best / Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.