Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Share Your Yam Moments - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Share Your Yam Moments (16496 Views)

Let Me The The First To Say! You Can Now Grind(pound) Your Yam / Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Coldfeet(f): 11:46am On Jul 25, 2013
Haha! Very funny story Afam! Lucky you o! Brb with mine
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 25, 2013
ItsModella:
I LOVEEEEEE new yam.

Wth is new yam ?
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 25, 2013
As for me, I love yam like crazy, I only have good yam moments. Old yam for boiling, new yam for frying. cheesy
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by yuzedo: 11:49am On Jul 25, 2013
ItsModella: As for me, I love yam like crazy, I only have good yam moments. Old yam for boiling, new yam for frying. cheesy
swerry iyam in love wit u. so wuz yo numba? i have a big farm. angry angry angry

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 11:49am On Jul 25, 2013
my yam moments are everyday,hot roated yam,palm oil and onions ,alligator pepper
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 25, 2013
adaobi123:

Wth is new yam ?
Yam that has just been harvested. New yam is usually soft and tender.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 25, 2013
yuzedo:
swerry iyam in love wit u. so wuz yo numba? i have a big farm. angry angry angry
how big is your yam barn? cheesy
ItsModella:
Yam that has just been harvested. New yam is usually soft and tender.

Oh I see. Makes sense. grin
Chillisauce: I remember days in the university, reading and preparing for exams, so no cooking because if I do, my friends will finish everything one hand. So I was just eating out and indomie once in a while.

It got to a point I wasn't feeding very well but I must finish my exams first. Most important. After exams, I went home and I know my house to have food all the time, whether you have someone in the house or not.

I got home, saw this yam and fried egg stew sauce, omoh! I just started munching the thing cheesy..

I ate and ate and ate...all the ones I didn't eat during exams, ;Dafter eating I then took water and lay down for digestion.

Hmmmm, the wonders began, my stomach went crazy, I couldn't breathe, felt pains and I started screaming, my dad was home so he tried taking me to the car for hospital, I couldn't even get up, I was almost dead. He asked what I ate, I said maybe the yam was poisoned, they want to kill me o, pls, check my account in intercontinental, I have so so so and so money inside, jane is owning me 2 k blah blah blah. All because I thought I was dying,

Got to hospital, was diagnosed and the doctors said it was my intestine, during my exams, my intestine shrunk a lot and I then ate the bulk of yam so it was usual. Gave me some medicine and I stayed in bed for sometime and voila I was fit again cheesy.

Anyway, didn't get any pocket money for the next month because my dad already knew I had so so money in bank angry..

I had to try and make up for asking more for furthermaths engineering handout by David Can. (Does it even exist?) that's how I got back on business again in money saving tongue
Hahahahaha, very funny, FFO like u and Afam4eva, na d same house una suppose dey live, Yam choppers. I love asaro elepo, water yam porridge called "ikokore" and fried yam with sauce, I buy it from mama akara any time am at home.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by DonaldGenes(m): 11:58am On Jul 25, 2013
Lord, if you save me from this, i will serve you forever". I thought i was being punished for not going to church that morning. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Btw, who cares

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by redcliff: 11:58am On Jul 25, 2013
adaobi123: Unfortunately I don't have any "yam moments" but your story got me laughing grin grin

I hope you learnt your lesson well. wink

[size=14pt]why wont it get you laughing when its ya boo that is op angry angry

see my own yam moments[/size]

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 25, 2013
redcliff:

Don't be jealous tongue grin
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 25, 2013
redcliff:

why you come dey use style to show us PS games? grin
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by redcliff: 12:07pm On Jul 25, 2013
adaobi123:

Don't be jealous tongue grin

[size=14pt]lmao! yes i wee not be jealous ni?[/size]
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by redcliff: 12:07pm On Jul 25, 2013
ItsModella:
why you come dey use style to show us PS games? grin

[size=14pt]na so the picture come with ps games. lol[/size]
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 25, 2013
redcliff:

Do you mind being my boo?
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:09pm On Jul 25, 2013
I think I'm gonna puke.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Isiterere(m): 12:13pm On Jul 25, 2013
Afam4eva: Yam is one of the staple foods in Nigeria and is eaten by majority of Nigerians. It's one of those foods that are easy to make cos it doesn't take a lot of dexterity to prepare yam especially white yam that can be eaten with oil. But behind this popular meal lies a very dangerous food that can knock one out in a matter of seconds if not properly eaten or if not respected as the horror that it is. I will share the encounter i had with this monstrous thing we call food and i want you guyz to share yours too.

About 5 years ago, while everybody in my family left for church. I was the only one who didn't go. Around 11 am, i was hungry and i checked the fridge to see if there was anything i could eat or at least chew to douse the tension in my stomach but the fridge was virtually barren. But on checking one of the pots, here layed 4 pieces of yams that remained from the previous day. I'm not really a Yam fan but i had no other choice to pick from so i had to manage what i had. The thing about cooked yams is that they get stronger by the day. But that didn't deter me. I warmed it a little bit and dished it unto my plate to have a good meal. But little did i know that what layed in in a matter of minutes was best unimagined. There was not drinkable water in the house. Even the taps were not running. So, there was no water at all whether drinkable or otherwise. Anyways, i took my yam with the oil on it and headed for the sitting room. I ate the first mould and then the second. I was about to do the same for the third until i encountered what millions of Nigerians dreaded having an encounter with. I don't know what happened cos i wasn't talking but the yam took a mind of it's own and decided to knock me out. There i was sitted gasping for breadth. I managed to rush to the kitchen and checked the fridge but there was no water. I turned on the tap but there was still not water. There and then, i resigned to my fate and said my last prayer which went thus "Lord, if you save me from this, i will serve you forever". I thought i was being punished for not going to church that morning. At this moment, i was crawling and heading for the door but as soon as i got close to the door, everything gradually came back to normal. Since that day i've been giving Yams the respect that they deseve. Before i munch my yam, i check it there's both drinkable and undrinkable water and they're always by my side incase anything goes wrong. I advise ya'll to do same cos the[b] yam we know is better than the yam we don't know.
[/b]

If you have any similar stories, pls share them to people can learn.
It could be any food though, your near death experience was due to lack of table manner(no offense ). Curiosity kill the cat.
Thank God u've learnt your leasson;though in a hard way......
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 25, 2013
redcliff:

[size=14pt]lmao! yes i wee not be jealous ni?[/size]

tongue tongue tongue
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Cmfrt001(f): 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2013
Had a similar experience wit u afam on 2 different occasions. The difference here is that urs was a yam moment but mine were pounded yam and ijebu garry moment☺
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Isiterere(m): 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2013
Chillisauce: I remember days in the university, reading and preparing for exams, so no cooking because if I do, my friends will finish everything one hand. So I was just eating out and indomie once in a while.

It got to a point I wasn't feeding very well but I must finish my exams first. Most important. After exams, I went home and I know my house to have food all the time, whether you have someone in the house or not.

I got home, saw this yam and fried egg stew sauce, omoh! I just started munching the thing cheesy..

I ate and ate and ate...all the ones I didn't eat during exams, ;Dafter eating I then took water and lay down for digestion.

Hmmmm, the wonders began, my stomach went crazy, I couldn't breathe, felt pains and I started screaming, my dad was home so he tried taking me to the car for hospital, I couldn't even get up, I was almost dead. He asked what I ate, I said maybe the yam was poisoned, they want to kill me o, pls, check my account in intercontinental, I have so so so and so money inside, jane is owning me 2 k blah blah blah. All because I thought I was dying,

Got to hospital, was diagnosed and the doctors said it was my intestine, during my exams, my intestine shrunk a lot and I then ate the bulk of yam so it was usual. Gave me some medicine and I stayed in bed for sometime and voila I was fit again cheesy.

Anyway, didn't get any pocket money for the next month because my dad already knew I had so so money in bank angry..

I had to try and make up for asking more for furthermaths engineering handout by David Can. (Does it even exist?) that's how I got back on business again in money saving tongue
That was too funny;more hilarious than OPs own.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by redcliff: 12:17pm On Jul 25, 2013
Amusaopeyemi:

Do you mind being my boo?

[size=14pt]only if you can play ps3 and can hack websites.[/size]
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by deols(f): 12:20pm On Jul 25, 2013
We used to eat Yam with every other thing until that day when Momma said it can be eaten with palm oil. That was my yam moment.

Mwahhhh!!! Palmoil with salt and Yam(old one o!) is soooo mwahhhhhhhhhhhh. smiley wink
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by mariong(m): 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2013
Yam moments??
That's for boiled yam eaters, for me fried yam all the way, so i've not had such experience.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by ct2: 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2013
If u know salivate with this pics then visit the doctor

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by hybeekay9: 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2013
Afam4eva: ^^ I prefer yam porridge when cooked with Onitsha yam(i believe this is the yam that's usually soft).[quote]
Yeah i lov dat too coz d yam bcomes soft wink
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2013
Well i don't have much yam memos but i remember how i and neighbors kids used to coin names for food stuff we would sneak and cook up...lio/leo was for oil and may was for yam and we always use them with impunity and no one not even our parents understood what we were saying....
Another interesting memo i can never forget is one harsh uncle who used to,always leave his signature on the yam surface after every cut so no one can cut and cook some slice when he is not around and that was many years and am sure yall know that uncle in late Chinua Achebe's (RIP) CHIKE AND THE RIVER... Can't recall that uncle's name again....
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by hybeekay9: 12:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
[quote author=Afam4eva]^^ I prefer yam porridge when cooked with Onitsha yam(i believe this is the yam that's usually soft).
Yeah i lov dat too coz d yam bcomes soft wink
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 25, 2013
I actually hate eating New Yam.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by katch1(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2013
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by katch1(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2013
ct)(:
If u know salivate with this pics then visit the doctor
aghhhhh!puke puke puke!!!is dis a white man shiiit?puke again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Suitable Milk For One Year Old Baby / What Are You Cooking On Christmas Day? / Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.