Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,334 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Share Your Yam Moments - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Share Your Yam Moments (16509 Views)

Let Me The The First To Say! You Can Now Grind(pound) Your Yam / Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Decryptor(m): 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2013
Pounded Yam and Afang Soup= Culinary Perfection cool

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Policewoman(f): 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2013
I have never had any issues with Yam. It still remains one of my favourite meals, even while on duty cool cool cool cool
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by dridowu: 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
My only exp was during secondary school days, i always vomit anytime i eat yam then, reason till today, i dont know.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by yuzedo: 12:37pm On Jul 25, 2013
ItsModella:
how big is your yam barn? cheesy
18inches + more swerry wink wink wink wink
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by onuwaje(m): 12:37pm On Jul 25, 2013
1.That moment when there's no food at home
2.That moment when the only part of the yam left is the head
3. That moment when the only thing left to suppliment the yam is red oil
4.That moment when you forgot to carry water along to garnish the yam head
5. That moment when you start choking then u urgently need to get a graps of any liquid available that could dilute the yam head...

Yam!!! Yam!!! Yam!!!
You still remain my best alternative when I am hungry

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by devour129: 12:42pm On Jul 25, 2013
I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yam! It's my best food.in any form you can get me with yam.am eating yam with ukpaka n oil right now.i so love it.yam yam yam yam I love yam
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by arabanibaba: 12:50pm On Jul 25, 2013
am not a fan of yam but my love yam, which is better new yam or old yam
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Okijajuju1(m): 12:50pm On Jul 25, 2013
I have no Yam moments.. All I know about yams are;

1. They are not my favorite food in the world..

2. I love my yams overcooked and so soft they melt in the plate.

3. I prefer to eat my yams with groundnut oil and salt/Plamoil mixed with dried peppers, salt and maggi..

4. I love Bole yam.. (Roasted)

FINALLY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: I HATE NEW YAM!!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Meklex(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2013
One of my yam moments was when I was a kid, then I started developing a little bit muscle then my mom thought that I was strong enough so she took me with her to the market for shopping, she bought 3 big tubers of yam and made me to carry it, at some point my legs felt wobbly and I can't help it but fall, cos my head was spinning, and my eyes teary, since that fateful day I recognise the power of yam.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 25, 2013
yuzedo:
18inches + more swerry wink wink wink wink
shocked shocked

brb tongue

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 25, 2013
Well mine happened during dinner with my family, my mum cooked this wonderful yam and egg (best combo), I recall my dad asking for my waec result then I noticed I couldn't talk(respond).. it went on for like 30 seconds, my mum was already shaking, thinking something bad would happen, suddenly, my brother gave me a thunderous tap at the back of my head then the damn thing fell out of my mouth... well, I fear yam now.. trauma!

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by ft2020(m): 1:05pm On Jul 25, 2013
Yam and fried egg is my baby's favorite food. She likes yam enh! Foodooooooo
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by UjSizzle(f): 1:05pm On Jul 25, 2013
Nope, Yam is my least favourite food and aside from that i always have an itch everytime i peel it.

I've also had a choking experience with yam. I was in the village for Christmas and my grams had all this little yams for roasting in the barn...we call them Ji Abana..not even sure what that means sef.
Anyway, i was home one day n super duper hungry and there was only firewood left to cook with. Me i have serious smoke allergy o, so i went to forage in the kitchen for anything remotely munchable. That was were i met a plate of extremely cold roasted yam n alreadt congealed palm oil. Wetin consign me, i stood there and began walloping the thing with very big man-like bites and worse of all i wasn't chewing properly. It was more like bite-chew-chew-swallow.
Somewhere between the 5th n 6th bite i realized i couldn't breath again. Gosh i panicked! Bad enough i had this health issue at that time with my heart, i thought i was having a cardiac arrest right in the kitchen.
I managed to crawl out of the kitchen to the fridge all the while thinking "I can't die like this na, haba not after eating someone's yam oo. God atleast lemme confess so i'll make heaven" grin
Finally i got water. Then i made the mistake of swallowing one huge gulp. Christ! It felt like someone just shoved a stone down my throat.
This one brought instant tears to my eyes i swear. What was worse that i was gonna die alone with only the dog for company sad
The pain in my chest doubled, i just had to lay on the floor beside the fridge with my arms wrapped around my body crying.

Some minutes after, or maybe na hours sef my stjupid brother kicked me awake. Allah it was the happiest kick of my life. I was alive oo shocked. I had never been so glad at receiving a kick before. Till today my bro calls it my Kick of Life tongue

I don't need to say i never touched covered food again that didn't belong to me, nor did i ever eat roasted yam again after that incident. Today my papa no dey buy yam again sef cos e go just dey for house spoil.

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by maxani: 1:08pm On Jul 25, 2013
here's my yam:.... as for the moment, it landed in the toilet 3 mins after consumption ..#foodpoison tins

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by adexsimply(m): 1:12pm On Jul 25, 2013
ItsModella:
why you come dey use style to show us PS games? grin
lol..I think say na only me notice am ni o
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by DECOtech(m): 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2013
sticking to my garri-soaked-in-water. i hope your YAM MOMENTS does not affect its market price.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Burger01(m): 1:14pm On Jul 25, 2013
Abeg, what and which type of yam are we taalking here
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by DICKtator: 1:16pm On Jul 25, 2013
Afam4eva: Yam is one of the staple foods in Nigeria and is eaten by majority of Nigerians. It's one of those foods that are easy to make cos it doesn't take a lot of dexterity to prepare yam especially white yam that can be eaten with oil. But behind this popular meal lies a very dangerous food that can knock one out in a matter of seconds if not properly eaten or if not respected as the horror that it is. I will share the encounter i had with this monstrous thing we call food and i want you guyz to share yours too.

About 5 years ago, while everybody in my family left for church. I was the only one who didn't go. Around 11 am, i was hungry and i checked the fridge to see if there was anything i could eat or at least chew to douse the tension in my stomach but the fridge was virtually barren. But on checking one of the pots, here layed 4 pieces of yams that remained from the previous day. I'm not really a Yam fan but i had no other choice to pick from so i had to manage what i had. The thing about cooked yams is that they get stronger by the day. But that didn't deter me. I warmed it a little bit and dished it unto my plate to have a good meal. But little did i know that what layed in in a matter of minutes was best unimagined. There was not drinkable water in the house. Even the taps were not running. So, there was no water at all whether drinkable or otherwise. Anyways, i took my yam with the oil on it and headed for the sitting room. I ate the first mould and then the second. I was about to do the same for the third until i encountered what millions of Nigerians dreaded having an encounter with. I don't know what happened cos i wasn't talking but the yam took a mind of it's own and decided to knock me out. There i was sitted gasping for breadth. I managed to rush to the kitchen and checked the fridge but there was no water. I turned on the tap but there was still not water. There and then, i resigned to my fate and said my last prayer which went thus "Lord, if you save me from this, i will serve you forever". I thought i was being punished for not going to church that morning. At this moment, i was crawling and heading for the door but as soon as i got close to the door, everything gradually came back to normal. Since that day i've been giving Yams the respect that they deseve. Before i munch my yam, i check it there's both drinkable and undrinkable water and they're always by my side incase anything goes wrong. I advise ya'll to do same cos the yam we know is better than the yam we don't know.

If you have any similar stories, pls share them to people can learn.

Next time drink your "piss"!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 25, 2013
babyosisi: Yam with assorted

Yes I cooked that
Welcome to chez babyosisi
Afam I am sure you now have a cup of water handy
Yam can do that to you

I dey come ur huz straight, no finish the yam before i reach ooo
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by illicit(m): 1:23pm On Jul 25, 2013
Rexxie: Well i don't have much yam memos but i remember how i and neighbors kids used to coin names for food stuff we would sneak and cook up...lio/leo was for oil and may was for yam and we always use them with impunity and no one not even our parents understood what we were saying....
Another interesting memo i can never forget is one harsh uncle who used to,always leave his signature on the yam surface after every cut so no one can cut and cook some slice when he is not around and that was many years and am sure yall know that uncle in late Chinua Achebe's (RIP) CHIKE AND THE RIVER... Can't recall that uncle's name again....
no it wasnt chike and d river, it was WITHOUT A SILVER SPOON by Eddie iroh, i cant remember dat teachers name too
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by illicit(m): 1:25pm On Jul 25, 2013
yall will av good moments if u can try Pounded yam with hot Ogbono soup mixed with bitter leaf and assorted meats especialy intestines, dats hw i didi
NB- to keep it all natural, dont take with any form of beverage, wine or beer
just drink either cold or warm water as u please, however u can consult original palmwine
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 25, 2013
emiye:

Did you enjoy the massage?

Oga grammer sorry oh! No be all of us go IVY league school. Na the tot of the yam experience cos the typo.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by redcliff: 1:29pm On Jul 25, 2013
Policewoman: I have never had any issues with Yam. It still remains one of my favourite meals, even while on duty cool cool cool cool

[size=14pt]Policewoman yamming on duty. das why una yansh dey too big and una go dey sleep on duty.[/size]
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by redcliff: 1:30pm On Jul 25, 2013
devour129: I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yam! It's my best food.in any form you can get me with yam.am eating yam with ukpaka n oil right now.i so love it.yam yam yam yam I love yam

[size=14pt]ah DPO, we have a live one[/size]
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
Yuk I hate yam!!! My Yam moments were spent quarrelling with my Jamaican grandmother because I refused to eat it.

"Unu daymn h'english pickney nuh eat poor people food again cha. Don't try fi ask me fah nutin more cah ya nah get ti"

I miss her cry grin
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by canalily(m): 1:44pm On Jul 25, 2013
devour129: I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yam! It's my best food.in any form you can get me with yam.am eating yam with ukpaka n oil right now.i so love it.yam yam yam yam I love yam
Are u 4rm atani or akaeze? Y d u lyk yam. Ok meet me at yam station
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 25, 2013
I love roasted yam with a nice sauce. The sauce is the crux of the meal for me. The only rough moment i remember when eating was a time when i was younger and i and my bro were eating pounded yam(i think, either that or it was garri or akpu) and we decided to compete on who could swallow the biggest bolus, we were boys afterall(do not try this at home), my brother held out longer than i expected, then i thought: 'i'll end this'. I scooped up the mother load, and i swallowed, except it didnt go down, at least most of it didnt, it just drew along my throat, i started passing out, then i threw up. And thats that. My younger brother won.
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by VicGoodGuy(m): 1:53pm On Jul 25, 2013
My yam moment was when we were growing up, there ws ds young girl that was living with our nxt door neighbours. She liked yam to excess (especially yam with egg sauce). And living with one of my uncles who leaves for work vry early and comes back late, I always have the whole house to myself. So I wd jst be patrolling in the compound and wd be on the look out for her, and whe she shows up I wd jst tell her 'Chi-Chi, guess wht I jst prepared' and she wd say 'yam and egg?' 'Exactly!' Then 'remain for me o, I dey come'. As easy as that! And that made me come to love yam too grin grin

1 Like

Re: Share Your Yam Moments by ct2: 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2013
What a bout my post
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by Sike(m): 2:08pm On Jul 25, 2013
Ask Me about my Pounded Yam experience? Oh la la!!
Re: Share Your Yam Moments by ATMCARD2(m): 2:10pm On Jul 25, 2013
Afam4eva: Yam is one of the staple foods in Nigeria and is eaten by majority of Nigerians. It's one of those foods that are easy to make cos it doesn't take a lot of dexterity to prepare yam especially white yam that can be eaten with oil. But behind this popular meal lies a very dangerous food that can knock one out in a matter of seconds if not properly eaten or if not respected as the horror that it is. I will share the encounter i had with this monstrous thing we call food and i want you guyz to share yours too.

About 5 years ago, while everybody in my family left for church. I was the only one who didn't go. Around 11 am, i was hungry and i checked the fridge to see if there was anything i could eat or at least chew to douse the tension in my stomach but the fridge was virtually barren. But on checking one of the pots, here layed 4 pieces of yams that remained from the previous day. I'm not really a Yam fan but i had no other choice to pick from so i had to manage what i had. The thing about cooked yams is that they get stronger by the day. But that didn't deter me. I warmed it a little bit and dished it unto my plate to have a good meal. But little did i know that what layed in in a matter of minutes was best unimagined. There was not drinkable water in the house. Even the taps were not running. So, there was no water at all whether drinkable or otherwise. Anyways, i took my yam with the oil on it and headed for the sitting room. I ate the first mould and then the second. I was about to do the same for the third until i encountered what millions of Nigerians dreaded having an encounter with. I don't know what happened cos i wasn't talking but the yam took a mind of it's own and decided to knock me out. There i was sitted gasping for breadth. I managed to rush to the kitchen and checked the fridge but there was no water. I turned on the tap but there was still not water. There and then, i resigned to my fate and said my last prayer which went thus "Lord, if you save me from this, i will serve you forever". I thought i was being punished for not going to church that morning. At this moment, i was crawling and heading for the door but as soon as i got close to the door, everything gradually came back to normal. Since that day i've been giving Yams the respect that they deseve. Before i munch my yam, i check it there's both drinkable and undrinkable water and they're always by my side incase anything goes wrong. I advise ya'll to do same cos the yam we know is better than the yam we don't know.

If you have any similar stories, pls share them to people can learn.
Who wants 2 join me?Is ADAOBI arnd?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Are You Cooking On Christmas Day? / Suitable Milk For One Year Old Baby / Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.