Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled (34132 Views)

Poll: University students expelled for not carrying along their bibles to assembly! This:

Outrageous: 80% (226 votes)
Justified: 19% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Jane Ihuoma-Ottah Expelled From RUST Over Of Hearing & Speech Problem / Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / 3 Covenant University Students Expelled Over Live Sex, Unclad Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by xheggs(m): 4:35pm On May 26, 2008
No fewer than 120 students may have been expelled by the authorities of Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, for what has been described as “wilful disobedience and insubordination” on the part of the students.

Sunday Sun sources informed that already 66 of them have been served letters of dismissal.
The affected students, however, say it is victimization and nothing more.

In an interview with Sunday Sun, a father of one of the affected students, who was visibly miffed by the action of the school authorities, threatened legal action.

According to him, his son, Akwa Bassey, a third year student of Accounting in the university was expelled along with more than a hundred others for coming to the assembly hall without their bibles.

Mr Bassey said the action was rather hasty for an inordinately expensive institution where parents pay several millions of Naira for their children’s education.

Sunday Sun investigation revealed that the Accounting student had gone for early morning fitness exercise shortly before the general assembly on that day. By the time he got back to his hostel, his roommate had locked the door to their room. So he couldn’t take his bible to the general assembly.
When students were asked to raise their bibles at the gathering, some obviously did not come with theirs. The defaulting students were reportedly ordered out from the assembly and summarily expelled.

“They were not even suspended for some days or reprimanded verbally but were dismissed just like that. It is unheard of and simply inhuman,” Mr. Bassey fumed.

But responding to Sunday Sun enquiry, the institution’s corporate/public affairs officer, Mr Egban Emmanuel Kalu, denied knowledge of the expulsion of the students.

“I am not aware of any such dismissal in the school,” he said in a telephone conversation.
He, however, promised to get back to the newspaper an hour later, saying he wanted to get confirmation and because he was driving at the time. But he never did.

Much later and several calls after, Mr Egban still refused to pick his call even though his cell phone rang incessantly about 7pm. However, Sunday Sun learnt that a meeting had been hastily convened at press time by the university to bar any person or official of the school from speaking with the press on the matter.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2008/may/25/newsbreak-25-05-2008-001.htm
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by fotodaddy: 8:53pm On May 26, 2008
wonders shall never cease.

As they say, "Man is God to Man"
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 11:54am On May 31, 2008
Scandal ko scandal ni

if people r expelled for what they knew wld warrant expulsion whats the biggie!!!!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by somze(f): 12:02pm On May 31, 2008
Why are you such a crusader for convenant university?

Are you related to the man?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 5:01pm On May 31, 2008
Im not a crusader for Convenant University

i just graduated from Covenant Uni, ok

There is no need to put butter icing on shit

deal with things as you get them!

last i checked, no one was forced to enter Covenant!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by donmayor(m): 9:11pm On May 31, 2008
Gamine:

I'm not a crusader for Convenant University

I'm not a fan of covenant but seriously no one was forced to enter the school and they knew the rules before they took their matriculation oath so who's to blame if the school takes action on "indiscipline" even though their definition of indiscipline is quite funny at times
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by dafizee: 10:49am On Jun 02, 2008
Hey, just read the trend, sounds like a joke grin grin grin just can't stop laughing grin grin
covenant is not a University embarassed embarassed
It is just a glorified secondary school.
better still, it should be call

COVENANT HIGHER INSTITUTION FOR KIDS grin grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 3:36pm On Jun 03, 2008
This Dafizee, you will soon eat your post so fast, . . . .
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 9:01pm On Jun 03, 2008
@ gamine
congratulations girl. u ve finally scaled thru wink
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Xiomarra: 10:47pm On Jun 03, 2008
That na school? undecided

See the products on Nairaland.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 10:54am On Jun 04, 2008
@xiomarra
u dey use style insult me angry?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 12:01pm On Jun 27, 2008
Thank you Jan, it wasnt easy, u wld know wink
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 9:46pm On Jun 27, 2008
Y wont dey disobey?
The rules r too stringent
Wonder if  members of d board would av bn able to cope if it was in their dayz?
D kids av bn pushed to the wall

Never mind d post of C.Uni students
Dey can b so arrogant and lousy
A lot of them need to grow
Av a num of them as frnds though

Bt 120 is a large num o
when no b exam malpractice?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by debosky(m): 9:49pm On Jun 27, 2008
Gamine:

I'm not a crusader for Convenant University

Are you defending that school for expelling a kid because he forgot his bible in his room? No one was forced to enter Covenant indeed; if that is the rubbish they are doing there, the school should be shut down for stupid practices - even churches will not expel members because they didnt bring a bible, talk less of a school.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by asamuel: 9:53pm On Jun 27, 2008
Any school meant for the rich alone should expect scandal. Covenant never see anything. They are just bringing the bird out of the pocket, like a Yoruba man would say. I wish Oyedepo journey mercy!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 9:56pm On Jun 27, 2008
Man, ofcourse you don't kno the half of it. Really no one was expelled for just that. Most of them recievd only warnings.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 10:00pm On Jun 27, 2008
So many tale abt d sch o
whre as much as 20 students grad wit 1st class in a class
whre u av to sign attendance @ church to knw those who dont com?
Whre telephone dats like a mans soul is a contra band, !
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by asamuel: 10:02pm On Jun 27, 2008
vassilli:

So many tale about d sch o
whre as much as 20 students grad wit 1st class in a class
whre u av to sign attendance @ church to knw those who don't com?
Whre telephone that is like a mans soul is a contra band, !

Nawa o! Eeeehn.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by asamuel: 10:27pm On Jun 27, 2008
Orisirisi!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 29, 2008
whateva u say, Covenant uni is raisin a new generation of leaders and those pple expelled were jst in the way in achievin dat.yes,there are still bad eggs.goin to church without a bible?wat explanation can be given for dat?jst lyk goin to the farm without ur hoes, and to think that they were warned more than once,well i am sorry for them anyway.
@gamine
congrats!!!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 8:56pm On Jun 29, 2008
Jaylinaa,
a new generation of leaders indeed
Leaders dat cant defended their degrees
whether u like it or not or agree or disagree wit pples opinion or not
there sth dat isnt just right wit d administration of C. Uni
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 9:15am On Jun 30, 2008
Mr Vassilli

Dont dump your anger here.
i can defend my degree, even if i dont need to

Jaylinaa, thanks !!!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 12:06pm On Jun 30, 2008
Anyways, if you chose the instituition as your school, I see no reason why you can't obey the laws. If their laws are ABNORMAL, then leaVE THEIR SCHOOL ABI

asamuel:

Any school meant for the rich alone should expect scandal. Covenant never see anything. They are just bringing the bird out of the pocket, like a Yoruba man would say. I wish Oyedepo journey mercy!

If education is too expensive,
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 12:23pm On Jun 30, 2008
Berra pesin o smiley
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by bebure(m): 12:26pm On Jun 30, 2008
If this story is true, which I find very difficult to believe then WOW!!! Even my primary and secondary schools would not suspendnot to speak of expell a student for not bringing their bible to assembly. Covenant University is just a joke. How are they preparing their students for the real world when they keep doing things like that. I'm pretty sure even a pastor at church would not ban you from his congregation for not bringing a bible so who the hell do these guys thing they are?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by lucabrasi(m): 12:29pm On Jun 30, 2008
personally i dont give 2 about the university,but from the little i v heard of 'em these students know the rules and should have followed it,they were not forced to attend a wholly xtian university as there were other more secular private universities before they chose covenant,so rather than making the pages of newspapers their first port of call,they should think about their children's future and go plead their cases before the university authorities rather than antagonising them.

from what i know of schools generally,im sure the school autorities would have had their eye on these people prior to that incident and that case would have been the last straw,because if everybody was being expelled for forgetting bibles then there wont be any student left in the school,we have most federal and state universities turning out cult boys and girls,sub standard graduates and the rest and i think kudos should be given to universities like these trying to nurture and bring back the values in education, though i must admit they do go overboard at times
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by alex406(m): 12:32pm On Jun 30, 2008
E get as e be ooo, Wonders no go end for this 9ja
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by smooooooth: 12:34pm On Jun 30, 2008
one important question, is the bible in their hearts,not just carrying it about abeg. most of the ex i have seen dont show they carried bible uop and down sch for 4-6yrs, anyway if those students were expelled, though i dont have the details yet, then that was really harsh, but i belive they werent, propably just suspended or warned. dont want to belive anyone will take extreme measures for something that mild.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by eudio(f): 12:37pm On Jun 30, 2008
this is ridiculous sad
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Seun(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2008
from what i know of schools generally,im sure the school autorities would have had their eye on these people prior to that incident and that case would have been the last straw,because if everybody was being expelled for forgetting bibles then there wont be any student left in the school
Hehe. You don't know Covenant University:
Do you know why phones are banned in Covenant University? No it's not "security".
It's because someone's phone started ringing one day when the Bishop was giving a speech!

If you want to expel students for trivial reasons, you should at least return their tuition fees.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2008
Covenant university high school is at it again. NUC need to restore some sanity into these so called private universities. First 20 students graduate with first class in a singular class. They must really think that Nigerians are retards.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Templa(m): 12:49pm On Jun 30, 2008
that school is just for those who can't pass JAMB. i've lectured them before and to my amazement, most of the KIDS can't think rationally.

anyway, if u want to know what they are like after school, just head to any night club in VI/IKOYI/IKEJA omo u go see die.
the authorities are'nt makin the students to 'practice what they preach'.

to me, this expulsion is a show biz.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Fraud Alert! Federal Government Academy, Suleja: Scholarship Or Burden? (PIX) / Angela Sughnen Who Got Expelled In 400 Level For Exam Misconduct, Bags 1st Class / Ondo State University Students To Pay N2.245m As Tuition Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.