Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled (34161 Views)

Poll: University students expelled for not carrying along their bibles to assembly! This:

Outrageous: 80% (226 votes)
Justified: 19% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Jane Ihuoma-Ottah Expelled From RUST Over Of Hearing & Speech Problem / Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / 3 Covenant University Students Expelled Over Live Sex, Unclad Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Nobody: 1:37am On Jul 02, 2008
Esss:

Winners Chapel, Oyedepo and CU are giving christianity a bad name. Turning a University into a christian extremist training ground. Jesus should'nt hear this.

you sef dey make mistakes. Its not a university but a private primary school for adults.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by brownbonno(m): 1:40am On Jul 02, 2008
Esss,

Don;t forget having the heart to do a thing is one point,but doing it in a right way is another.When lawmakers make laws,its made with all consciousness of the heart,but the adjudication of the law lies on the hand of the interpreter.(u get my gist)
In all i am gainst this sort of slavery
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by niles(m): 2:04am On Jul 02, 2008
That's the height, who's talking about knowing about the rules when you're signing on, Abi them tell una say if you no carry bible like Police man dey like carry Gun, dem go expel una.
If it was chapel service sef, maybe we'll say they probably knew about it, That's arrant NON-SENSE. That Rubbish won't be tried in BIU,
CU claims to be raising the best, know a couple of guys in CU that do Drugs like they breathe NDLEA go surprise to c the kind drugs wey them dey do, Someone tell me something about the k-squad or whatever they call them that'll c me walking on my own or just listenin to music as usual and tell me to bring my iPod for screening. I think they just make most of the students there figure out a better way to be HYPOCRITES, I also know they admit people that intentionally fail their entrance exams,
"Who go open eye wan pass the exam sef?"
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by adconline(m): 8:07am On Jul 02, 2008
Desmond O

Do you understand that no instution in Nigeria should make laws that are contrary to Nigerian laws? Do you understand Convenant   was established by a federal  act which authorized Nigerian University Commission (NUC) to grant licenses to Universities in accordance to the laws of Nigeria. Convenant cannot be bigger than NUC and NUC cannot be bigger that Nigerian laws. So Convenant is breaking the law.

If there is a law that says that people should not be discriminated against, does that allow you to form your own company and openly espouse discrimination?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by mellow(m): 9:46am On Jul 02, 2008
Since the CU authority charges extremely high tuition fees I hope they try to verify

the sources of the money that the parents pay? I know majority of the parents there

are dubious. it will be hyprocicy if the CU authority will expell students for not carrying

Bibles and still accept evil money from evil parents.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 9:52am On Jul 02, 2008
mellow:

Since the CU authority charges extremely high tuition fees I hope they try to verify
the sources of the money that the parents pay? I know majority of the parents there
are dubious. it will be hyprocicy if the CU authority will expell students for not carrying

I think you need to read the
Our Attitude Is The Problem - By Reuben Abati

Stop making GENERAL statements about what you can't confirm.

So, all Nigerians schooling abroad are also children of corrupt parents? undecided sad

adconline:

Desmond O

Do you understand that no instution in Nigeria should make laws that are contrary to Nigerian laws? Do you understand Convenant was established by a federal act which authorized Nigerian University Commission (NUC) to grant licenses to Universities in accordance to the laws of Nigeria. Convenant cannot be bigger than NUC and NUC cannot be bigger that Nigerian laws. So Convenant is breaking the law.

If there is a law that says that people should not be discriminated against, does that allow you to form your own company and openly espouse discrimination?

I think Convenant will be guilty if they contravened any NUC laws, but what section have they contravened?

If someone can tell us, then cheesy
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by mellow(m): 10:02am On Jul 02, 2008
Mustay:

I think you need to read the
Our Attitude Is The Problem - By Reuben Abati

Stop making GENERAL statements about what you can't confirm.

So, all Nigerians schooling abroad are also children of corrupt parents? undecided sad

If you will care to re-read my statement again I believe you will see that I said

majority of the parents. How many honest Nigerians do you think can afford

the tuition fees of CU?
[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 10:03am On Jul 02, 2008
here's what's on convenant's page:

(2) Discipline: The department regulates Students conduct and discipline. Each student is given a copy of student handbook which contains the guidelines for students’ expected conduct on campus and the penalties for their violation. These guidelines put in place are a set of rules and regulations called the ‘University Royal Law’ designed to help every student to enjoy a successful tenure here at Covenant University.
Every decree enacted in Covenant University is designed to groom and not to grieve. None of the regulations is put in place with the sole intent of punishing but to tailor towards polishing our products, the students. These guidelines range from alignment to proper dress code and conducts during examinations to policies on residency. The essence of this is to ensure that students’ moral character and conduct are molded in a positive way.
The high demand placed on discipline as a fundamental requirement for making a total graduate as embedded in the core values of Covenant University makes it imperative to pursue it with the required doggedness. Towards this end the followings have been our focus: http://www.covenantuniversity.com/aboutus/student_affairs/index.html

(cool Core Values: The department ensures strict adherence and visible demonstration of the University Core values. The Core values are Spirituality, Positive mentality, Capacity building, Integrity, Responsibility, diligence and sacrifice. These Core Values are the fabrics around which the culture of Covenant University revolves. They essentially point to the reliability of the future of the University as well as our products.
As a department, we ensure that we always exhume these values in our day to day operations as ‘you cannot give what you don’t have’.

Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 10:05am On Jul 02, 2008
mellow:

How many honest Nigerians can't make money here?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by shawn123: 10:06am On Jul 02, 2008
Ladies and gents, why would any authority want to expel a chile for merely forgetting to bring bibles. What happens to the kids after expulsion, they go home and start all over again. Some will never go back to school, some will end up on the streets and some will end up being armed robbers and yahoo boys.  Messed up school and authority i will say.  shocked
Those kids are not groomed to be leaders but followers who have to be told what to do at all times, God forbid i send my child to a school like that,
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 10:33am On Jul 02, 2008
Abegi. misinfirmation don land again. No one was expelled in CU for not carrying their bibles. The worst one was suspension and that was because they were not first time offenders as the clause goes in their hand book, the others were merely warned. Even so, these kids have been warned time and time again. How many impromptu meetings for my time jst to warn us? how many times bishop land chapel service just to warn us? how many notices were served? how many announcements? and that was just in my time. i heard they hv been screaming about it ever since. what is so hard in taking your bible to church? let us not forget it is a christian institution and founded on the word of God. These kids are even lucky to see the student handbook or hear experiences from past students b4 getting themselves into cu. They know what they were getting into, so what is the outrage? When i went to CU, i was not opportuned to even take a glance at the handbook, didnt even know what i was getting into, but i jst had to do my thing and leave. e no easy. I knew i had to get disciplined. What private organisation has no discipline? i knew what i wanted and went for it, no sob stories.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Gamine(f): 10:47am On Jul 02, 2008
Typical Nigerian mentality.

Ask Seun if they bought his brothers 1st class degree.

It should be apparent by now that the Story isnt True

And i am tired of seeing all this Word Vomit.

Anyways, I may not even like my school

but i really hate to see people lying for nothing.

So im gona leave you
Liars to your lies,
Decievers to your deceit
beefdogs to your beefs
fools to your foolishness.

If you have any Questions or comments or would like to know the real story
Contact me!

I sign out of this thread forever.
Segun thanks for posting this topic. tongue
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by khufu: 10:58am On Jul 02, 2008
the fact about all pentecostal churches is that they are false, i do not stand to be corrected. why are they trying to outwit one another always? must a church found a university? they do this because they want the status of chancellors. so GO,Baba, Papa, Bishop, Superintendet and all manners of epithets are not enough. i hope the final judgement by God would be open and not individual. we sure will see spectacles.I hope the NUC would moderate these glorified primary schools where they train dummies.
@ davidylan
Its not a university but a private primary school for adults.
you have spoken.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by lucabrasi(m): 11:02am On Jul 02, 2008
@poster
like i remarked very early on i guessed right that these students must have done something else to warrant an outright dismissal,but having said that i think the school and their board of trustees should really be less rigid even though they have good intentions,life is all about insulating individuals against the many challenges they encounter or will encounter in their life's pursuits and not about moulding them into model students in the university and after graduation they will not fit in to the real world, that would work if covenant university will be employing them all and providing accomodation for them e.t.c
if you tell students not to do this and that,make them think everything and everyone in life is like paradise on earth without making them experince what the real world is about and how to handle it while outside then pretty soon,they will be churning out a bunch of students who cannot act of their own initiative and cannot handle real challenges when confronted as they have been over sheltered.
responsibility builds character and pls im not talking about the price of the school or the calibre of students there but how strong their wills and characters are,not forgetting that its still a new university and will still have credibility issues,they have to know how to handle themselves in the real world which is why ill advocate a foreign degree nytime
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by ademiller(f): 11:12am On Jul 02, 2008
see sugesstion grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by redeve17: 11:20am On Jul 02, 2008
gamine,please use ur sense
the fact that you graduated from there doesnt make you any better than those that were expelled.
are you trying to say it is allowed for them to be sent out cuz they didnt carry bibles
i think you should enroll for UNILAG diploma
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by sookoo: 11:51am On Jul 02, 2008
i hear the small boys and girls get suspended for a year if they are caught talking to each other after 10pm,and also get suspended for using a boilind ring.they collect exeats!yes,exeats!before leaving the school compound!men,they should still be tied to mamas apron strings.na wah o if it is true! grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by delejames(m): 11:58am On Jul 02, 2008
@ Gamine

i thought u've signed out of this thread long ago?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by khufu: 12:09pm On Jul 02, 2008
delejames:

@ Gamine

i thought u've signed out of this thread long ago?

@delejames
how do you expect a graduate of CU to be consistent? that is the stuff they are made of.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by molulu(f): 1:24pm On Jul 02, 2008
"11. If Jesus owned a university, would have expelled students for not having a bible??"
This point made by Esss is the koko of the whole matter. As christains are we not strictly following Jesus' example?
Would Jesus expel students because they didn't carry their bibles. If the early missionaries, who were the major educators of Africans at one time, behaved in such manner, some of our grandparents and parents would have died illiterates. Let him who is without sin cast the 1st stone
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by ademiller(f): 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
molulu, do u know that i have fallen inlove with u? i mean u just made sense. u are 100percent correct. jesus forgave the guy that denied him and those that betrayed him and crucified him, so who is Oyedepo to EXPEL students becos of bible?

Ask them a verse to quote in d bible majority dont knw

mololu, like i said i love u

ur smart kiss
Gasmine, pls dont argue further, u can read in btw d lines, stop been a malu (cow) undecided
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by lucabrasi(m): 1:39pm On Jul 02, 2008
ademiller:

see sugesstion grin
wha u on about
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by efizie: 1:42pm On Jul 02, 2008
Wonders shall never end. That is not too good. Like one said in here sanity needs to be brougth system.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by bikokwe(m): 2:07pm On Jul 02, 2008
after much said and done i think its much of a punishment to expel if its true nevertheless please lets watch our language in regarding the students as those who didnt pass JAMB! PLS after all our JAMB has been JAMBED.the other folks in federal n state universities are not better of.examination malpractice is the order of the day not to talk of all vices like cultism etcetera.so plz Mr lecture watch your language if u re very pure u cast the stone first.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by slyk2(m): 2:15pm On Jul 02, 2008
Just don't slam the school authorities.
When we affirm to a set of laws or rules we must be cool headed to take responsibilities of our actions.

Both parents and student knew what the institution stands for thus such must never be an issue.
They can always deal with situation in better arranged meetings.

I love it.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 3:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
khufu:

@delejames
how do you expect a graduate of CU to be consistent? that is the stuff they are made of.

Why do people make myopic statements GENERAL?

So, everyone in CU will behave like Gamine ko?

hmm sad
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by debosky(m): 4:23pm On Jul 02, 2008
Janami and Khufu please stay on topic and avoid insults, else you may be banned. Thanks for understanding wink
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 4:28pm On Jul 02, 2008
@Debosky
don't mind me  jare. i am sorry embarassed. was just putting the em em em, no descriptive word in it's  his  place. no offence really. He started it all. i am peace loving o undecided

that insult about cov uni being inconsistent is still hanging oh

@khufu
na only Debosky save u. i for display my CU craze for u
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by alanrewaju: 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2008
kai! that rather harsh. I grad from Babcock uni where most of these rules were copied from but it never got to dis. kilode omo eni kole buru kaa le fun ekun paje. Jesus was never that harsh. Omase oooo . embarassed cry
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by amaechijay: 5:12pm On Jul 02, 2008
ARRANT NONSENSE!!!

That is unfair, haba!

So what do they want God to do to us that sin everyday
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by odedele: 6:53pm On Jul 02, 2008
most of d student r minor i mean underage no wonder d sch wants 2 dictates everytin 2 them.even wen 2 call their parents{fone not allowed}
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by initiate: 7:22pm On Jul 02, 2008
there is too much criticism of the school on this page. you guys would do well to find out the values upon which the school was founded before you judge.
although university students are not little kids yet they are still youths and they need the guidance of adults to mold their personalities. thus there is nothing wrong if the university chooses to protect the students by denying them unrestricted communication and interaction with the viciously corrupted environment.

as concerns the expelled students, that would have been the best solution under the circumstances, because they showed repeated rebellion to constituted authority. it was not their first offense but they wanted to prove that they were going live by their own laws and that would negatively affect the university community and would have ripple effect on others. in short its like a gangrenous leg that needs to be amputated. not a pleasant choice but necessary for the well being of the whole being.

students who go to CU and their parents had reviewed their options, considered what the school and the church stand for before they choose the institution. it would therefore be a sad situation if the school does not live up to the expectations

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Angela Sughnen Who Got Expelled In 400 Level For Exam Misconduct, Bags 1st Class / SCIENTISTS BAFFLED BY MYSTERIOUS SHIELD PROTECTING EARTH FROM BEING OBLITERATED. / Funny Memes You Can Relate To In A Nursing School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.