Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled (34159 Views)

Poll: University students expelled for not carrying along their bibles to assembly! This:

Outrageous: 80% (226 votes)
Justified: 19% (54 votes)
This poll has ended

Jane Ihuoma-Ottah Expelled From RUST Over Of Hearing & Speech Problem / Lesbianism Scandal Rocks Kogi University / 3 Covenant University Students Expelled Over Live Sex, Unclad Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by janami(f): 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2008
in a nutshell, u have said what i hv been trying to say. thank u
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by DesmondO1: 8:48pm On Jul 02, 2008
Janami,a pat on the back for you.

"Naijarians" like long story. Wetin don happen don happen. If you carry beef full belle for the school,na you know. Only tin be say,the school pumps tens of millions if not hundreds each year and they're doing great at helping those that JAMB has red-carded to get an education.

So fellow nairalanders,there's nothing to be said. Find something doing and stop criticizing what other people do with their own business. Abi una get shares for the school.

CU students-get the education you need and leave.All i'll say is that life aint what they portray over there.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Regular: 9:29pm On Jul 02, 2008
Is this happening on planet earth? And what the hell is 'general assembly'. I thought that obtains in primary and secondary schools.

Does it mean every student of Covenant University is a Christian? Is that school a Covent abi Seminary?

Too many questions! This is outrageous!
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Regular: 9:35pm On Jul 02, 2008
Expel a student for not coming to a 'General Assembly with a bible. And some human beings in this forum are defending the schools action.

I see some lawyers smiling to their banks.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by cnote: 10:10pm On Jul 02, 2008
Expelling students because of reasons like this will sound very funny to us that don't know what the rules of the school are, the students must have seen these rules before accepting their admision, and I believe the parents must or should have known too. but all the same, considering the number of students involved and the tuition (kai! it is very much on the high side), the school authorities should have disciplined the students a different way, cos they should know, except they are very dumb, that expelling them will cause a sandstorm. I just pray that they'll be able to weather it. I will also suggest (hoping that any of them will read this) that they allow their students have an experience of life in a high institution, bottling someone up so that he or she won't get contaminated with something that he or she will still come in contact with in the future will not make the person immune to that thing rather, it will make the person very inexperienced and will fumble when faced with challenges accompanying those things.
C uni has a good concept to bring up good future leaders, but I belive they still have a lot of rough edges to smoothen.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by idonland(m): 10:13pm On Jul 02, 2008
i don't see why this si a big deal, if they knew the rules before hand and they broke them they should be punished, thats whats wrong with Nigeria today, people think they should be given leniency. Its the same attitude that translate to all aspect of our lives. If you break the rules you should be punished plain and simple. Personally i would not expel anyone for that offense but if they were given the rules ahead of time they should not complain because they knew what they were getting into.

Also the fact that there were 20 students with first class in one class is not a big deal either. if you go to the best schools in the world it happens every class. i was in unilag before i moved to school in the US and one of my lectures in lag said its impossible to get an A in his class, he said "A is for god, B is for me and C's and below you can have" If a student deserves a first class award them what they deserve. Also a lot of lecturers and professors in Nigeria are incompetent, they do not know how to teach or help students learn thats why so many students fail (i agree that the learning conditions are far from adequate also). But if in a class of 200, only 50 people pass that not the students fault, thats the fault of the professors. The stufff that they gave me for final exam in unilag was homework for me here in Yankee, but yet it seemed like it was impossible to understand while i was a student there. In my graduating class of about 200 there were over 20 people with first class.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by adconline(m): 6:30am On Jul 03, 2008
@Mustay
I think Convenant will be guilty if they contravened any NUC laws, but what section have they contravened?

If someone can tell us, then

Does Nigerian constitution guarantee free of expression and religion? Doesn't Nigerian Constitution state that Nigeria is a secular state. Does Nigerian constitution uphold UN and African Charters on Human Rights? If they were expelled on the basis of not having bible, Covenant has violated these laws. The point is that most Nigerians have low tolerance for illegality becuase we have never been exposed to legal norms in which a lawful society flourishes. "Illegality cannot beget legality"
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by codename47(m): 11:13am On Jul 03, 2008
whots up with all this yarns abu covenant university,the students knew wot they were getting into before they entered so wots all the noise.Its not by force to enter covenant now there are other schools, so when you are in c.u. woteva comes your way u take it.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by unit(f): 12:08pm On Jul 03, 2008
I have a cousin that attends CU right now and he lives with me in Abuja and the music he listens to are anything but 'carrying bible to general assembly' kind of music and it hurts my christian ears to hear them and to think his parents are struggling and the school is trying with all their rules to make the young man a better adult is sad. Will the rules help at the end of the day!  
 I went to a federal university and I wasn't a born again "bible carrying" Christian but I lived a very straight life and am glad I pass through the university and also allowed the university pass through me which made me prepared for the bigger society as an adult,the federal universities are not so bad if a child/young adult can hold their own and not succumb to pressures I guess that is what CU is not considering, the fact that there is a bigger world for these student to deal with on their own.If they can't make decisions about things as little as carry a bible in school or signing an agreement they cant stick to how can they handle the pressures of the life after school.
Am sure the GO and school board had the best in mind for the school but someone needs to let them know that times have changed and forcing the youth to accept Christianity wont get them there.I think its time for them to learn to correct in LOVE like Jesus expects of us.Where is the Jesus example here.
To the students and parents,the rules you agreed to follow in desperation to get a education is hunting you now.All I can say is sorry but you went in with your eyes wide open.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by kkkossy(m): 3:36pm On Jul 03, 2008
imagine this! before u gain admission to the school u need to take an interview where they ask u silly questions like "do u listen to d`bang,2face,9ice etc" and the reply from the students would be "no".now tell me who in naija haven`t listened to these guys,which means u have 2 lie to get admission to the school.that is wacked
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 3:43pm On Jul 03, 2008
kkkossy:

imagine this! before u gain admission to the school u need to take an interview where they ask u silly questions like "do u listen to d`bang,2face,9ice etc" and the reply from the students would be "no".now tell me who in naija haven`t listened to these guys,which means u have 2 lie to get admission to the school.that is wacked

kkkosky

were u a member of the panel of interviewers?

@ unit

Stop generalizing this situation. cos ur cousin behaves badly doesn't mean they won't have well-behaved students.

unit:

To the students and parents,the rules you agreed to follow in desperation to get a education is hunting you now.All I can say is sorry but you went in with your eyes wide open.

funny thing is that their students and parents have not complained either in the media or nairaland
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by unit(f): 4:11pm On Jul 03, 2008
@Mustay

like i said am sure the GO and board have the best in mind for the school,but is it really working,are they producing all round Christian adults ready for the larger society? I used my cousin as an example and there are so many worse than my cousin that the school is producing.You should go to nightclubs and bar in various towns and you will be surprised(or not) the number of private university student you would find there, thats what lack of choices have pushed them to.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by patto01(f): 4:52pm On Jul 03, 2008
I am a parent and my son was involved in this no bible issue. However, he was not expelled. The students that were expelled (if at all the story is true) were those who had past records of acts of indiscipline with several warnings. Secondly, as much I know in this Nigeria, good things are never appreciated, so I am not surprised that a lot of people are criticising the University. Even our Lord Jesus was not accepted.

I know, the rules and regulations of the university was spelt out to all students and parents/guardians. No one was forced to have his or her ward in the university. Nigerians should be able to inculcate discipline and obeying simple rules and the country will be better. PLEASE LEAVE COVENANT UNIVERSITY ALONE
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Mustay(m): 5:26pm On Jul 03, 2008
patto01:

I know, the rules and regulations of the university was spelt out to all students and parents/guardians. No one was forced to have his or her ward in the university. Nigerians should be able to inculcate discipline and obeying simple rules and the country will be better. PLEASE LEAVE COVENANT UNIVERSITY ALONE
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by IdeyVex1(m): 6:15pm On Jul 03, 2008
Yes, and it has happened to me several times.
ive gone for service without my bible for a number of reasons.

They say, does who have ears let them hear![i][/i]
they had been warned before

My people, the above quote is from Gamine, our first class graduate from CU.
Abeg read the quote in italics and bold. Which kain English be dat. Is that what you learn at CU.
Smoooth I agree with you abeg. I rather have a 3rd class from FUT, Owerri than a 1st class from CU.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by yewaman1(m): 6:19pm On Jul 03, 2008
there are rules and regulations guiding every society,
so if these 120 student chose to break the rules of the school, too bad.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by brownbonno(m): 8:02pm On Jul 03, 2008
patto01,

If you actually a parent and your child attend such a university,you should rethink on what you expect from your child's future(if the allegations are true).A university is a citadel that is made to train people that will in turn reshape the social/economic and political fabric of any nation.Now,ask yourself if your child is receiving such a training that will enable him/her to live an independent life that entails-
-Doing what is right
-Treat others as good as humanly possible
-A mind that is not judgemental or prejudicial
-A mind that is ready to share undermining background/race/religion
-A mind that is ready to help using his/her acquired training to improve life.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vislabraye(m): 8:54pm On Jul 03, 2008
patto01:

I am a parent and my son was involved in this no bible issue. However, he was not expelled. The students that were expelled (if at all the story is true) were those who had past records of acts of indiscipline with several warnings. Secondly, as much I know in this Nigeria, good things are never appreciated, so I am not surprised that a lot of people are criticising the University. Even our Lord Jesus was not accepted.

Just pray your child or ward doesnt repeat such again or else you'll be singing a different song, If i may ask, what bad record did these students have b4?, A school that doesnt permit the use of handsets, holds assembly and so on. It is secondary education. Yeah the guy may have good intentions, but y arent people saying wrong things about other xtian schools
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by anajemba(m): 2:17pm On Jul 04, 2008
The authorities of Covenant University are notting but
bunch of  hypocrisies with log in their own eyes.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by codedguy1(m): 4:07pm On Jul 04, 2008
patto01:

First of all, A bad law is a bad law wether you agree to it or not.
People agree to things like that when they are left with little option or in a precarious position.

We all know JAMB is a wash and people will do anything to give their kids some sort of education. Even if it is CU. If the educational sector was well run and there were lots of options around, i don't think any one would want to enroll in such a glorified kindergaten after reading such crap as LAWS (ASSEMBLY)

What exactly were the repeated offences these expelled students may have committed, if your child was only suspended!
In universities the offences for expulsion are usually very grave ones. and please annswer the questions posted by Brown bonno?
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 9:20pm On Jul 04, 2008
mama pattoo1
Na wa for u o
shey u still dey dance to d blues wey d administration dey play for u?
by d tym dem change d blues to raggae, u go bow

Mama Pattoo1 which sch u go?
U no groove for d sch u go?
y u decide to raise ur pikin in bondage?
its just so clear dat u are one of the fanatical worshippers of papa
I think u'v bn paid to make a statement

Mama Pattoo1
like u dont get d issue on ground
bible in a "social" gathering?
u aint fair and truthful to ur kid
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by vassilli(m): 9:23pm On Jul 04, 2008
mama pattoo1
Na wa for u o
shey u still dey dance to d blues wey d administration dey play for u?
by d tym dem change d blues to raggae, u go bow

Mama Pattoo1 which sch u go?
U no groove for d sch u go?
y u decide to raise ur pikin in bondage?
its just so clear dat u are one of the fanatical worshippers of papa
I think u'v bn paid to make a statement

Mama Pattoo1
like u dont get d issue on ground
bible in a "social" gathering?
u aint fair and truthful to ur kid
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by ashokeze(m): 10:02pm On Jul 04, 2008
I really don´t know what to say and i must say it´s not right for the school to do such a thing, for all i care,the school is to reform pple and not to send them away cos you never know what they will turn into out here thatś so rough. the school should call back her students and train them with the fear of God.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by na2day2(m): 2:41am On Jul 05, 2008
@ Gamine

ppl like u and ur covenant university is the reason why alot of ppl dont want to be christians. if God was to judge ppl the way that stupid secondary u call university did, nobody will enter heaven. nonsense! ! ! angry angry angry angry
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by anajemba(m): 4:53am On Jul 05, 2008
This type of Demonic law has no reference from the Bible.
I think that what matters to them is holding the bible and not reading it.   As 
you hold your bible, you are holy period (their understanding).  I think C.A.N. should look into the activities of this school. The Holy Bible is not an ordinary  book to be taking up and down. Even the Pope never suspend people from church for not comming with bible.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by laykay(m): 8:48am On Jul 05, 2008
wonders shall neva end being expelled is crazy for bible's imagine
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by bimbotolu: 1:32pm On Jul 05, 2008
it's quite disheartening to hear that.it's called a university for christ sake.u don't expect every body to accept ur faith and even if u are trying to instill discipline there is a better way to it.what of the thousands beign paid is it just going like that/ abeg covenant take am easyn oooooooooooo grin grin
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by slimes(m): 2:33pm On Jul 05, 2008
That's why it is called 'Private' Institution of higher learning.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by na2day2(m): 3:47pm On Jul 05, 2008
slimes:

That's why it is called 'Private' Institution of higher learning.

u mean private institution of stupidity? angry angry angry angry
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by patto01(f): 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2008
If my son fails to abide to simple rules and regulations of where he finds himself, then he should be held liable for whatever outcome is.  This country is like this today because every body have become so disobedient to rules and regulations of this country. The country is getting worse each day because people feel they can break laws and just get away with it.   There is a popular saying, when you go to Rome, behave like a Roman. A student can decide to dance raggea, toss the whole girls in the universe or whatever he/she desires when he/she is outside the walls of that school, but I think once you are within the walls of that school and you know the rules and regulations, you have been warned severally and all sorts, it is good for such a student to live with some sort of caution.  Bishop Oyedepo is not a wicked man to expel those student just for that reason as claimed by the reporter.  It is not compulsory that anyone should accept the school, its rules and regulations.  But one thing is sure, the school has a standard and is not ready to compromise its standard.  Like I earlier said, though Jesus came for the good of man, yet was criticized and not accepted by all. The school did not force anyone into it.  If anyone so much cherish all the so called freedom of this and that, use of phones and all sorts, then such a one should not in the first place seek or accept admission into the school.  Secondly, the so called JAMB is not a true test of knowlede as we know in this country. CU holds their own exams/test & other admission screening exercises, so I think they can decide to admit students based on such performances which they know is true test of the students knowledge. However, they also have a JAMB cut-off point with which they consider such admissions and the student must fulfill the required 5 credits as applicable to the course of study.  Infact those who were admitted on the basis of awaiting WAEC/NECO result and who did not meet the 5 credits requirements, their admission were withdrawn and their acceptance fees/schools fees already paid refunded to such affected ones.  This goes to tell us the standard of the school.  There is nothing wrong if you discipline yourself for a while by obeying known rules and regulations just to get what you want and if it turns out that you get shapened by the lifestyle of the school, fine and better.  That is the TOTAL MAN concept of the school.  Everything in life is not just the academic qualification, but it is about being a TOTAL MAN in every spheres of life.    Please I will plead that CU should be left alone to go by its standard.   Mind you, even with God, no man breaks the law and go free for life. There is a day of judgement and reward which could be pleasant or unpleasant.  I desire the best for my son and I do not have to rethink.
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by spoilt(f): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2008
Expelled for not coming to assembly hall without bible? shocked
Re: Expulsion Scandal Rocks Covenant University: 120 Students Expelled by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jul 05, 2008
patto01:

This country is like this today because every body have become so disobedient to rules and regulations of this country. The country is getting worse each day because people feel they can break laws and just get away with it.

How exactly is CU contributing to building citizens who obey the law? By making ADULTS to line up on an assembly and turning them to subservient religious automatons?
there are no such silly schools like CU in the US or Europe and they are far far better than Nigeria so is this really all about breaking of rules?

patto01:

There is a popular saying, when you go to rome, behave like a roman. A student can decide to dance raggea, toss the whole girls in the universe or whatever he/she desires when he/she is outside the walls of that school, but I think once you are within the walls of that school and who know the rules and regulations, you have been warned severally and all sorts, it is good for such a student to live with some sort of caution.

One thing became very apparent to me when i stepped out of Nigeria, the average American 10yr old is 100x more confident than the average 21 yr old Nigerian. That boldness, relative freedom of expression and an environment that actively encourages precocious kids is the reason we will remain forever dependent on the WEST for every single invention be it in the field of sports, entertainment or science.

patto01:

Bishop Oyedepo is not a wicked man to expel those student just for that reason as claimed by the reporter.

To be candid, the man is another money-grabbing dictator in religious garb.

patto01:

But one thing is sure, the school has a standard and is not ready to compromise its standard.

Where did Christ dismiss His disciples for forgetting to come with their copies of the Torah? What "standards" ensure that an adult is treated no better than a primary school kid in a supposed institution of higher learning?

patto01:

That is the TOTAL MAN concept of the school. Everything in life is not just the academic qualification, but it is about being a TOTAL MAN in every spheres of life.

this "total man" rubbish is just that . . . a sloganeering attempt to whitewash what is indeed mental slavery. Does this "total man" concept include the power of independent thought? What is a "total man" without the power to make informed choices based on personal conviction rather than obnoxious rules?
What if a student chooses to constructively criticise the bible? Is he an incomplete man?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Angela Sughnen Who Got Expelled In 400 Level For Exam Misconduct, Bags 1st Class / SCIENTISTS BAFFLED BY MYSTERIOUS SHIELD PROTECTING EARTH FROM BEING OBLITERATED. / Funny Memes You Can Relate To In A Nursing School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.