Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? (10287 Views)

Does Praying In Our Mind And Praying Out Loud Have Any Difference In God? / Check Out This Picture Of A Pastor Praying For A Woman In Church. SCREENSHOT. / Pastor Runs Mad While Praying For Mad Man In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by rezzy: 2:03pm On Jul 28, 2013
Billyonaire: It works. The dead are ethereal beings and prayer is energy incantation so its within similar wave frequency.

Abeg i no go school, use small small English explain ur opinion.
Thanks
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by badmeat(m): 2:04pm On Jul 28, 2013
1st peter 3v 18 to 20,4v6,1cor 15v29.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by badmeat(m): 2:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
To understand praying or any other ministry unto the death,contact an elder of the church of JESUS CHRIST of LATER DAY SAINTS
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Anvaller: 2:28pm On Jul 28, 2013
bad meat: To understand praying or any other ministry unto the death,contact an elder of the church of JESUS CHRIST of LATER DAY SAINTS

U see? and this is the problem. Why can't u use ur own brain...? Will the elder read a script that is out of ur own reach? The fact that u narrowed everything down to elders and of latter day saints really explains a lot.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by searay(m): 2:53pm On Jul 28, 2013
blink182: my thoughts too but this RIP talk is so much and used by even clergy men.
Clergy men don't say RIP but May his/her soul rest in peace. The "may" shows that it is conditional.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Sike(m): 3:01pm On Jul 28, 2013
Praying for the dead is important in Islam tho.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by badmeat(m): 3:08pm On Jul 28, 2013
Anvaller:

U see? and this is the problem. Why can't u use ur own brain...? Will the elder read a script that is out of ur own reach? The fact that u narrowed everything down to elders and of latter day saints really explains a lot.
bro,I posted some scriptures before my note,the topic is a vast one that can't be understood by just what I might type here.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by free2ryhme: 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
Sike: Praying for the dead is important in Islam tho.

no be cradle robbers and extremists dey here ooo ..

no put mouth for matter wey u dont even know how e happen
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by free2ryhme: 3:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
Billyonaire: It works. The dead are ethereal beings and prayer is energy incantation so its within similar wave frequency.

this is not occultism and mind travelling oooo
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by calddon(m): 3:33pm On Jul 28, 2013
Tos87: Ї strongly believe in praying for ЂΞ dead...but wish Ї can ellaborate. sad sad
u cant elaborate on something u belive in then whats d basis for beliving.
The wages sin pays is death when a sinfull man dies the remembrance of him has been forgotten and he is no more.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 28, 2013
Anvaller:

Through whose prayers was Jesus brought back to life? Is apostle Babablola living a second life? U know what? Just chill and think and think and think, u will realize that the ridiculous belief that prayer helps the dead does not follow any sensible logic. It will even contradict the logic and principles of God. Unless the God is impartial of which I don't think so. Pray for anyone before his/her death.. Basic!
like u don't understand what I wrote Jesus himself prayed for the dead and he raised up Lazarus from that state even the apostles did thesame thing,so if God did not answer their prayers for the dead how was it possible to raise up d dead?

2 Likes

Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by nwadaigbo: 3:42pm On Jul 28, 2013
sanklose: xtains dont believe so ..but islam religion believe it so well and they takes it soo inevitable...
SPEAK For urself. Christians do without knowing it. Anyone, who says RIP when he/she hears d news of someones death has actually prayed for the dead. Thats y i maintain that, whether long or short, prayer is prayer. Amen is also a prayer if u dont know. I agree with the poster who says "prayer is a wish". Thats just d simple interpretation of prayer. When we pray for ourselvees, we actually wish we cld get that which our heart desire. Because prayer is a wish, it must not come to pass. So get ur fact right.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Infomizer(m): 3:46pm On Jul 28, 2013
Anvaller:

"expatiate" is sufficient and so it makes "more" redundant in context...

Just saying!

Laughing out loud at your pedantry. Some posts can be so tempting but you've just gotta cut folks some slack. Nice one tho' grin
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by nwadaigbo: 3:53pm On Jul 28, 2013
Elevation: Romans 6v23 For the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus christ our Lord...Hebrews 9v27 And as it is appointed unto to men once to die and after that Judgement...pls dont wait for them to pray when u are gone because the only time u have grace is while u are still on earth(living) pray for the saving grace of christ and the power to live holy daily.
and who do u think is not a sinner amongst humans. According to d scripture, "all men hav sinned and fallen short of the glory of God". If that is d case, then, nobody will enter d kingdom of God. Thats d essence of praying for the dead. Yes, we know we are sinner, but are pleading to God to tamper justice with mercy. God alone can decide what he want to do with those prayers. No man can say d mind of God bc d bible says , d way of God is not d way of man. We pray, assuming that God has d final say on what he does with our prayers. Just lik in law court, when someone is found guilty, he lacks right to defend himself. The lawyer owe him to plead to d judge for mercy. So, people should hold their peace and stop questioning peopls belief and religious practices
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by agho22(m): 4:37pm On Jul 28, 2013
We are all confusing our selves, praying for the dead is vital only when they neva had the chance to accept the gospel while on earth, if u had chance here on earth and belive prayers will get to u, my dear oyo 4 you...
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by maxisfield(f): 4:38pm On Jul 28, 2013
If prayin for the dead rlly works den nobody wil go to hell.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by agho22(m): 4:40pm On Jul 28, 2013
Bro if u re a mormon defend your self plz, as I am same..
bad meat: To understand praying or any other ministry unto the death,contact an elder of the church of JESUS CHRIST of LATER DAY SAINTS
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:14pm On Jul 28, 2013
blink182: The moment a person dies, all I keep hearing is 'RIP'. I know it is written 'after death comes judgement'. Now is it possible that the prayers of people on earth can influence the divine judgement they deserve?
such prayers has no effect on whether or not the dead is going to heaven or hell? Once you are dead ur prayers can't save them from hell.
I believe in prayer for the dead but i do not believe such prayers can save a hell bound soul.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by lastpage: 5:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
chukwudi44: Yes it works [/b]for those who died in sin that does not lead to spiritual death.1john 5:17.

Read up 1 cor 15:29 to see that the apostles even baptised people on behalf of those who are dead.

[b] 1Cor 15; 29
- Now, if there is no RESURRECTION, what will those "do", who are baptized for "the Dead"? If the "dead" are not raised at all, why are "people" baptized for them?

Questions:
1.) who is being referred to as "The Dead" in this verse?
2.) How is anyone "baptized for" such "The Dead"?
3.) what has resurrection got to do with this verse?

To answer these question (which will shed light on the CONTEXT of its usage and meaning; ...as most of us misquote and mis-apply Bible verses, leading to confusion), l will IMPLORE you to read from verse one of the same chapter.

In summary, the Apostle was preaching to 'others' about how he is sure that there will be resurrection of anyone that dies in Christ, using example that Christ himself, on behalf of which he preaches and baptized others (baptized for the dead) ...also dies (the dead) and was resurrected.

So,
1) "The Dead" is Jesus Christ that 'died on the cross'

2) Everyone that believes in Christ (The dead) is BAPTIZED for/ or in the name of "the dead'.

3.) The verse was encouraging "others" whom the Apostle was talking to, to have faith, that if they believe in Christ who, though died, was raised by his Father God.... so anyone who exercise faith in Jesus, gets Baptized 'in jesus' even if he dies, will be just as well resurrected.

Thus Sir, your Bible Quote is a complete misinterpretation and misapplication of that passage to justify that "The Dead benefit from our Prayers".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, BACK TO THE QUESTION: Do the "Dead" BENEFIT from our PRAYER?

1.) Genesis 2:7 - Then the Lord FORMED A MAN FROM THE DUST OF THE GROUND. (Yes, from "dust of the ground!)

2.) Ecclesastes 9:10 - Whatever your hands find doing, do it with all your might, for in the REALM OF THE DEAD, where you are going, there is NEITHER WORKING NOR PLANNING NOR KNOWLEDGE NOR WISDOM

3.)Psalm 146:4 - When their "SPIRIT DEPARTS" (dead), THEY RETURN TO THE GROUND (dust), on that very day, THEIR PLANS COMES TO NOTHING

4.)Ezekiel 18:4 - .....'The one' who SINS is the one who will DIE (The Soul that sinneth WILL Die!)

5.) Isaiah 26:14 - They are now DEAD, they live no more; their spirits do not rise ..... You WIPED OUT ALL MEMORY THEM!

6.) Deut 18: 10, 11 & 12: - Let no one be found amongst you who .... casts out spell or who is a medium or WHO CONSULTS THE DEAD;... ANYONE WHO DOES THESE THINGS IS DETESTABLE TO THE LORD.

DIGESTING all the above scriptures, we can summarize as follows:

a.) We are created from dust, when we die, our body and "spirit" returns to dust (God would resurrect the spirit by "calling it up from the state of dead", at the appointed time... just as he did Jesus!).

b.) In that "DEAD STATE", the body is DECAYED and the SPIRIT KNOWS NOTHING! It can neither plan nor have knowledge or wisdom or benefit from anything that we "alive humans" benefit from!
And that includes benefiting from our prayers! ALL MEMORY of them is WIPED OUT!

*There is no Repentance in the Grave (Cant remember the Bible verse for this one)
...thus, how can there be "Forgiveness" (due to our own prayers for them), if they themselves are NOT AFFORDED THE OPPORTUNITY OF REPENTANCE, which precedes forgiveness?

Thus, the dead DO NOT BENEFIT FROM OUR PRAYERS! ...because "After death, its JUDGEMENT"! (Hebrews 9:27)
Only the living (and when they are alive, can benefit from our prayers)

Happy Sunday.

Lastpage!
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by don33310(m): 5:22pm On Jul 28, 2013
cold: Prayers don't work for the living let alone the dead.Smh
You are on point
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:25pm On Jul 28, 2013
PHIPEX:

The Bible is just too deep, I must confess that I've never taken note of this verse in the Bible and my Bible commentary regards it as one of the most controversial verse in the New Testament.

@OP, I care less if it works or not but since I know there is no repentance in the grave I'll rather pray for myself while am alive than depend on RIP prayers of well wishers at death.
yes there is no repentance in the grave but 1jn teaches that there are two types of sin, one that leads to death and others that don't, while your prayers may be of no effect for those who died in sins that lead to spiritual death it may be of help for those whose sins aren't deadly...
Or so i believe.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by lastpage: 5:25pm On Jul 28, 2013
agho22: We are all confusing our selves, praying for the dead is vital only when they neva had the chance to accept the gospel while on earth, if u had chance here on earth and belive prayers will get to u, my dear oyo 4 you...
The Bible gives those who NEVER had the opportunity of knowing about God ..... a SECOND CHANCE at Salvation.
That is what "The second tribulation" is all about.
Praying for the dead has no effect at all, ... if they have accepted Christ and lead "his life" while alive then their salvation is ALREADY ASSURED!
Why would they need your prayers again?

If persin don pass exam already why another person go dey clamor to enrol him into 'tutorial classes'? grin grin

Happy Sunday Bro

Lastpage!
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by lastpage: 5:35pm On Jul 28, 2013
Peterjosh:
like u don't understand what I wrote Jesus himself prayed for the dead and he raised up Lazarus from that state even the apostles did thesame thing,so if God did not answer their prayers for the dead how was it possible to raise up d dead?
You right, Jesus RAISED [/b]the Dead! He has the power of Life and death in his hand.

[b]He did not PRAY FOR THEM (Jesus and the Apostles exercise authority and command over death) to be forgiven their sins.
Infact, their "level of sin" was nto taken into consideration in raising them.

It is just a "demonstration of his authority and the power to raise to life" all those who believe, suffer and die" on HIS ACCOUNT!
Now, he needed to do that, to CONVINCE them that 'His Ministry' is truly EMPOWERED to do so.

He also did a lot of things ...just to convince them, back then. (e.g, turning water to wine! Even the G.O's and Muguns MOG's of TODAy, buy their wine today! ...... and they dare not walk on the Atlantic Ocean! ...or allow themselves to be NAILED to a Stake! grin )

NOW, we dont need convincing (That is why we have the COMPILED BIBLE) now, everything is there for us to "observe and experience".

TODAY, let no one deceive you, NO ONE CAN RAISE THE DEAD! (As in truly certified "dead person" with all the necessary checks and balance to ensure that no trickery is involved! grin ).

Lastpage!
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by agho22(m): 6:09pm On Jul 28, 2013
Bro u can't compare your self to other people, God is a just God, he will give evrybody equal opportunity weda muslim or christian, or how are you going to judge those that died a muslim or didn't even hear about God??
lastpage:
The Bible gives those who NEVER had the opportunity of knowing about God ..... a SECOND CHANCE at Salvation.
That is what "The second tribulation" is all about.
Praying for the dead has no effect at all, ... if they have accepted Christ and lead "his life" while alive then their salvation is ALREADY ASSURED!
Why would they need your prayers again?

If persin don pass exam already why another person go dey clamor to enrol him into 'tutorial classes'? grin grin

Happy Sunday Bro

Lastpage!
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Anvaller: 6:58pm On Jul 28, 2013
ajasa4link: Ok thank u Prof. ogunmefun... noted!

Infomizer:

Laughing out loud at your pedantry. Some posts can be so tempting but you've just gotta cut folks some slack. Nice one tho' grin

LOL.. as u can see above, I am impressed that he took it positively cos I understand the humor in his reply, in spite of the fact that it was an insignificant error. I just believe that if we imbibe the culture of correcting ourselves without being rude to each other, we will be better.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by ekea2001: 7:35pm On Jul 28, 2013
It's appointed unto men once to die but after death is judgement.Heb 9:27 think twice purgatry believers!
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by gsalvatore: 8:08pm On Jul 28, 2013
I believe In Praying for the dead, I don't know if its due to what I was taught while growing up or how if its how am wired though it doesn't sound logical "enough".

Logic is not Everything. Some religious beliefs defies logic and reasoning still folks believe in those religions. I guess that's why they invented faith-to nail beliefs that is not logical.

Anyone remember the story of Aezrel or Azreal(am not sure of the. spelling)?

NB: there are some books not added to the bible that sheds more light on this.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Ubenedictus(m): 8:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
ekea2001: It's appointed unto men once to die but after death is judgement.Heb 9:27 think twice purgatry believers!
purgatory believers never said men died 2ice nor did they say there is no judgement after death, what is d significance of d above passage.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by rabzy: 9:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
gsalvatore: I believe In Praying for the dead, I don't know if its due to what I was taught while growing up or how if its how am wired though it doesn't sound logical

NB: there are some books not added to the bible that sheds more light on this.
That is why they were not added, because they teach alien ideas and heresies. Books not added were not inspired.
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by Maureenurch(f): 10:20pm On Jul 28, 2013
When people we believe lived a just life on earth die ,we pray to God to deliver their soul frm limbo(purgatory) so yes our prayers do work,even our good works on their behalf work
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by todayguest(m): 12:30am On Jul 29, 2013
Blessed are the dead who die in the lord from now on.....that they may rest from their labours and their works follow them. Revelation. 14:13
Re: Does Praying For The Dead Really Work? by tonymariao(m): 5:54am On Jul 29, 2013
Jesus said in Matt 12:32...any1 who sin against d Holy Spirit will not be forgiven in dis lyf or next?Where can sin be remitted in the next life? We read d book of matt. Why? Is he still alive? Is a holy n awesome thought to pray 4 d death so that their will be remitted. Pray 4 one anoda Jesus said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Doubt About Hell? Come In And Ask Your Question: / What are your three most important prayer points For 2022? / Is Jesus God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.