Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' (869 Views)

Buhari Is Not God And We Will Not Worship Him, PDP Replies APC / Desmond Tutu Says That He Would Rather Go To Hell Than Be With A Homophobic God / Pastors Wars - I Will Not Worship In TB Joshua’s Church, Says Adeboye (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
South Africa's Nobel peace laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu says he will never worship a "homophobic God" and will rather go to hell.
The retired archbishop was speaking at the launch of a UN-backed campaign in South Africa to promote gay rights.
Despite same-sex relationships being legal in South Africa, it had some of the worst cases of homophobic violence, UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said.
Archbishop Tutu, 81, is a long-standing campaigner for gay rights.

'Toilet brush attack'
He retired as Archbishop of Cape Town in 1996, but has remained the moral conscience of the nation, correspondents say.
Same-sex relationships are illegal in more than a third of countries around the world and punishable by death in five, Ms Pillay said.
In Africa, homosexual acts are still a crime in 38 countries, according to the rights group Amnesty International.
"I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place," Archbishop Tutu said at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town. "I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this."
Archbishop Tutu said the campaign against homophobia was similar to the campaign waged against racism in South Africa.
"I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level," he added.
Ms Pillay said gay and lesbian people in South Africa had some of the best legal safeguards since apartheid ended in 1994, but they still faced brutal attacks.
Last month, a lesbian was found dead, having been sexually assaulted with a toilet brush.
"People are literally paying for their love with their lives," she said, AFP news agency reports.
The UN would push for gay rights to be recognised in countries where they are illegal, Ms Pillay said.
"I constantly hear governments tell me, 'but this is our culture, our tradition and we can't change it'... So we have lots of work to do," she added.
Archbishop Tutu won the Nobel peace prize in 1984 for campaigning against white minority rule in South Africa.
Source: m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23464694
Re: Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
I hope this man understands he is not in a position to set conditions for GOD.
Re: Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by redsun(m): 11:24pm On Jul 28, 2013
careytommy: I hope this man understands he is not in a position to set conditions for GOD.

God is the imagination of man.What man thinks of god is what he is.Some think he is brutal,some think he is kind,some think he is forgiving,while some think he encourages adults to molest children in the form of forceful and unconsenting marriage.

It is all in the mind.
Re: Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
Do I attribute this idiocy to the old man's senility, or is it possible that he is (or was) a closet homosexual?

If he can't worship a homophobic God, I assume he would rather worship a homosexual God, if he had only these two options? And if God were homosexual, I doubt he would go through the ordeal of creating woman (Eve). Adam's helper would have been created like-for-like. Accordingly, if there is any justification for homosexuality, it certainly can't be found in theology or in Christianity in general. . .which makes this confused man's pro-gay outburst all the more bemusing, for a long standing and high-ranking member of the orthodox clergy for that matter.

Desmond Tutu has just succeeded in forfeiting his moral authority and reverence. Always painful to see an old fool dancing naked in the rain.

1 Like

Re: Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by redsun(m): 11:43pm On Jul 28, 2013
pro01: Do I attribute this idiocy to the old man's senility, or is it possible that he is (or was) a closet homosexual?

If he can't worship a homophobic God, I assume he would rather worship a homosexual God, if he had only these two options? And if God were homosexual, I doubt he would go through the ordeal of creating woman (Eve). Adam's helper would have been created like-for-like. Accordingly, if there is any justification for homosexuality, it certainly can't be found in theology or in Christianity in general. . .which makes this confused man's pro-gay outburst all the more bemusing, for a long standing and high-ranking member of the orthodox clergy.

Desmond Tutu has just succeeded in forfeiting his moral authority and reverence. Always painful to see an old fool dancing naked in the rain.

I think it is you that should update your moral illusions to accommodate your fellow human beings that happens to be different.The static nature of your mind make you oblivious of your evil nature of hating others that are not like you,while at the same time trying to protect your socalled perfect moral standards.

1 Like

Re: Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by musiwa35: 11:50pm On Jul 28, 2013
i believe if polygamy is legal in the west , homo sexuality will reduce.

most men will agree to be doing two lesbian, that is a dream of all men. if you go on plenty fish millions of america women are single and will till 40 yrs

proudly african, his mother will be so happy of him. come to africa

Re: Archbishop Tutu 'would Not Worship A Homophobic God' by HezronLorraine(m): 12:37am On Jul 29, 2013
Una don resume again.e ti bere abi.wasn't it this afternoon they kept dragging on why africans hate gays so much,now they resume night duties.

It seems with the rate at which nairalanders are obsessed with gay themed news,I'll open threads everyday for them,you people won't learn,u'll fight all this anti-gay e-wars till you get tired.okay,just watch.
Chidinma said"iyalaya anybody".
Let it begin.

(1) (Reply)

Is Jonathan The Most Politically Divisive President Ever? / Benin City Battle 1897 / How To Develop Ondo State --engr Musiwa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.