Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? (24211 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon. Patrick's Speech On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by ReubenAbati: 6:27am On Aug 04, 2013
Davo93: Did this one even read the post

hell yea, i didnt. lack of sleep. edited.

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by rozayx5(m): 6:58am On Aug 04, 2013
hmmm i can see some people have already seized this opportunity to call the President Names undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by frankoba: 7:22am On Aug 04, 2013
On a serious note my people, the problem with our universities is not just infrastructures or lecturers salary but lecturers attitude i think is the major problem of our universities. Imagine in a situation where lecturers will collect bribe ain fail those that did not pay bribe to them. The is the worst thing to discourage anybody from reading. Just think of these point very well. Am in school and thats why am telling you this.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by sarutobie(m): 7:25am On Aug 04, 2013
Prof Corruption: This is what you get when the ill informed is given a platform to voice sophisticated ignorance.

ASUU is what it is: Academic Staff Union of Universities. It's meant for lecturers, not students. They protect their interests, not students.

What's happening to NANS, National Association of Nigerian Students? Instead of holding a clueless government that was not forced into an agreement with ASUU but later reneged to enforce an agreement she willingly endorsed, these lackeys are here demonising ASUU for protecting its interests. ASUU members also have children who attend universities in Nigeria but your clueless leaders send their wards to England, US, Canada to have the best of education.

Why not? Call a mass demonstration against ASUU, demonise them as evil! Then organise a million man march to endorse GEJ. Youth Earnestly Ask for GEJ, YEAG.

Animals.
Yea right! When a 70year old man whose voice can't go pass the first row of students in his classroom should be tending his gardens and playing with his grandkids,they insists he should still be in the classroom teaching from brown and dusty notebooks filled with outdated materials from 3 decades ago...in this computerised era of constant exchange of new infomation and ideas? The change ASUU seeks must start from within them.A school like FUTO for example,departments habour a silent animosity among themselves and at the end,their respective students bear the brunt whenever they take up a course from the 'opposing' department.what about the fraud that is Post Ume? What do they do with the yearly millions they get from conducting the test? ASUU should put their house in order first!
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 04, 2013
The attitude of this ASUU members is even the major problem we have here. For example, U can imagine that in my last semester, my department had lecture on the course 'Use of English' only twice and we were given an exam to write and make good grade. Then because u were not taught and thus u cant deliver, u now had to sort to pass. This is the same people using strike to lobby for fat salary etc. Even if their demands are granted 101%, the question is, would they change thier attitude?
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Amule5000us(m): 7:46am On Aug 04, 2013
She said she studies in
Birmingham UK, but she's at
home because of ASUU strike I
guess I've always underestimated
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by senrino(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2013
sunny63: ASUU is fighting 4 student intrest like rebuilding of dilapidated building,equiping d laboratory n making Nigeria universities 2 d world standard

SHhh..... Shatrup. angry

Afta al dis tins wld it stp dem frm sexually arrassin our fmale students or collectin moni 2 up grade angry

Dem dy fight 4 dem sefs... Dy wan die 4 lecture room... Nt givin đ up cumin lecturers đ opportunity2..

U̶̲̥̅̊ Ɲ̴̩̩̥̩̩̩̥O̲̣̣̥ dy reason go dia?
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Kei144(m): 8:00am On Aug 04, 2013
ASUU members are Nigerians. Nigerians that occupy public positions as public (or civil) servants do not care about the interest of the public, but only their own interests. Nigeria will go nowhere until that attitude is changed.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 8:02am On Aug 04, 2013
sunny63: ASUU is fighting 4 student intrest like rebuilding of dilapidated building,equiping d laboratory n making Nigeria universities 2 d world standard
What have they been doing with the 100billion naira allocated to them on a yearly basis?
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by stexsy(m): 8:09am On Aug 04, 2013
ASUU r always right..... smileyASUU r always right.....
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by stexsy(m): 8:12am On Aug 04, 2013
pls someone shud help tell me how to post on nairaland n how to follow a topic, i dont always see my post wen following any topic..
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 04, 2013

ASUU UPDATE -Why worry over ASUU? Migrate from your university to a private university and retain the same matric number. Simply send PORT to 38888.

2 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 8:48am On Aug 04, 2013
I wanna use this opportunity to thank ASUU for the strike, my head has almost blown up with different courses in it, my eyes never gets white cos I don't sleep at night, it has been lectures, CAs, n tutorials + Futminna wahala, FUT (frustration under tension). Any futmite will understand me here.
What have I gained? Nice question. My rest + few weights + have learnt a lot of things on the internet. My eyes now stay white 24/7. Btw this strike should not last for anoda 2 weeks oo.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by KDULAR: 9:04am On Aug 04, 2013
ASUU and other strikes which were very common in the 90's in a long way did not bring any positives to most of us who were im school in that era. It was so much that I observe a drastic fall in standards, increase in violent crimes within the schools and the students were the ones who always lose. It is so pathetic that these lecturers will wait till towards the end of a session and then embark on the strike. Let me tell you what stops them from embarking on these strikes after exams had been conducted , marked and released ? But without anything, they'll stunt the progress of these helpless students. I ask again of what advantage will the negotiations affect the standard of those who are already in final year and penultimate years assuming federal government immediately starts to implement agreements reached ? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the strike only affects these sets of students but will it have any positives on what they already had? It is really callous wicked for members of ASUU to embark on strikes at such times I repeat, why not wait till the end of the session or semester. Unfortunately immediately after resumption, they will do nothing but launch the students into examinations agh agh!!! It is the height of the wickedness and insensitivity because most students will definitely fail and besides the standard of what they'll write will be low compared to if session is brought to a honorable end. And some if not all these lecturers use without any acknowledgement the results of projects embark on by their students as part of their submissions for their post graduates thesis, papers and submissions.We need to talk to ASUU if government is behaving irresponsible why should such a highly respected people follow suit ? behaving like members of NURTW( another body like that is association of resident Doctors) who will break bottles and resort to intimidation ,blackmail and violence at any slightest frustration.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by kingviny: 9:13am On Aug 04, 2013
AND WHEN ASUU FINALLY GET WHAT THEY WANT (IN PART OR IN FULL), WILL THEIR MEMBERS BE ABLE TO DO THE FOLLOWING?

1. Stop the selling of handouts and make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.
2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).
3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.
4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.
5. Graduates must get their certificates on their convocation day.
6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.
7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.

7 Likes

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by opeyemitee(m): 9:17am On Aug 04, 2013
ehen! What is the crux of the matter? Have they called off the strike ni?
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by EejaNla01(m): 9:22am On Aug 04, 2013
KDULAR: ASUU and other strikes which were very common in the 90's in a long way did not bring any positives to most of us who were im school in that era. It was so much that I observe a drastic fall in standards, increase in violent crimes within the schools and the students were the ones who always lose. It is so pathetic that these lecturers will wait till towards the end of a session and then embark on the strike. Let me tell you what stops them from embarking on these strikes after exams had been conducted , marked and released ? But without anything, they'll stunt the progress of these helpless students. I ask again of what advantage will the negotiations affect the standard of those who are already in final year and penultimate years assuming federal government immediately starts to implement agreements reached ? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the strike only affects these sets of students but will it have any positives on what they already had? It is really callous wicked for members of ASUU to embark on strikes at such times I repeat, why not wait till the end of the session or semester. Unfortunately immediately after resumption, they will do nothing but launch the students into examinations agh agh!!! It is the height of the wickedness and insensitivity because most students will definitely fail and besides the standard of what they'll write will be low compared to if session is brought to a honorable end. And some if not all these lecturers use without any acknowledgement the results of projects embark on by their students as part of their submissions for their post graduates thesis, papers and submissions.We need to talk to ASUU if government is behaving irresponsible why should such a highly respected people follow suit ? behaving like members of NURTW( another body like that is association of resident Doctors) who will break bottles and resort to intimidation ,blackmail and violence at any slightest frustration.
have you forgotten we don't run the same accademic calenders in all schools?

Nice write up though wink

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by EejaNla01(m): 9:29am On Aug 04, 2013
kingviny: AND WHEN ASUU FINALLY GET WHAT THEY WANT (IN PART OR IN FULL), WILL THEIR MEMBERS BE ABLE TO DO THE FOLLOWING?

1. Stop the selling of handouts and make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.
2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).
3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.
4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.
6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.
7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.
how can we let our nigeria lecturers see this?

This is a must read for them
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by touch4mony: 9:55am On Aug 04, 2013
in 2008 when i finished skul,my last skul fee i paid was 22,750 but now no university collects less than 75,000 as skul fee and they are been paid by govt,run by govt pls if i may ask u where are all this money going to,d banks in side the skul pays the uni including every other none skul activities going on inside the skul.this ppl are using the students to fight for their pocket d faster u get dat into ur head the better for u
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by osagieoas: 10:01am On Aug 04, 2013
[Don't be a fool plsquote author=Standing5]In a bid to impress, these OAU fake activist now look stupid. Them no sabi pass foolish Aluta! Aluta for the sake of it.[/quote]
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by ITbomb(m): 12:09pm On Aug 04, 2013
frankoba: On a serious note my people, the problem with our universities is not just infrastructures or lecturers salary but lecturers attitude i think is the major problem of our universities. Imagine in a situation where lecturers will collect bribe ain fail those that did not pay bribe to them. The is the worst thing to discourage anybody from reading. Just think of these point very well. Am in school and thats why am telling you this.
I beg to disagree , the problem is mainly infrastructure.
If you have seen a learning environment with 20 undergraduates to a lecturer with conducive facilities, you will understand the overwhelming depression a lecturer in Nigeria feels when to lectur a class he is sees 300+ students most hanging by the window, it's a feeling of 'I'm not even sure they will get what I'm saying , they just want to pass and get the certificate so let the smartest win'.
I have been through school ie both Nigerian setting and world-class setting and that's why I'm telling you this

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by ITbomb(m): 12:26pm On Aug 04, 2013
To all those who still thinks that ASUU is on strike because of increase pay and they should call it off , YOU ARE THE MAIN REASON ASUU IS ON STRIKE, because that thinking shows that you have not been educated.
I always say this , for a Nigerian students to fail to see the rot in the Universities and call on ASUU to call off the strike to return to that rot means that the mind has not been educated.
If they fail to see the problem and look for lasting solution in their immediate environment ie the school system how will they see the problems in the larger society and give solutions when they graduate.
The undergraduate is suppose to be a trained solution provider but u see even in term papers , they can't do independent research instead looking for ready made papers to copy and paste.
This 'just get the certificate within the shortest time ' is transferred into the larger society with 'just get the money within the shortest time'
We should be training problem solvers not salary earners.
Support ASUU to get the quality education we deserved and end strike forever

1 Like

Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Djtm(m): 1:44pm On Aug 04, 2013
kingviny: AND WHEN ASUU FINALLY GET WHAT THEY WANT (IN PART OR IN FULL), WILL THEIR MEMBERS BE ABLE TO DO THE FOLLOWING?

i love your list except the grad-cert stuff.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by chagga(m): 1:46pm On Aug 04, 2013
[/color][color=#770077][quote author=ITbomb]To all those who still thinks that ASUU is on strike because of increase pay and they should call it off , YOU ARE THE MAIN REASON ASUU IS ON STRIKE, because that thinking shows that you have not been educated.
I always say this , for a Nigerian students to fail to see the rot in the Universities and call on ASUU to call off the strike to return to that rot. means that the mind has not been educated.
If they fail to see the problem and look for lasting solution in their immediate environment ie the school system how will they see the problems in the larger society and give solutions when they graduate.
The undergraduate is suppose to be a trained solution provider but u see even in term papers , they can't do independent research instead looking for ready made papers to copy and paste.
This 'just get the certificate within the shortest time ' is transferred into the larger society with 'just get the money within the shortest time'
We should be training problem solvers not salary earners.
Support ASUU to get the quality education we deserved and end strike forever. Yes we agree there is infrastructure deficiency in our Unis but that is just part of d problem our lecturers on the other hand r the major problem because they are very lazy n corrupt many instances of bribe taken 2 upgrade marks abound and lectures notes used by my grandfathers is what we used( my children might end up using same). If lecturers commit themselves 2 their duties they won't have 2 fight for themselves we d populize ll do it 4 dem
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Djtm(m): 1:48pm On Aug 04, 2013
touch4mony: in 2008 when i finished skul,my last skul fee i paid was 22,750 but now no university collects less than 75,000 as skul fee and they are been paid by govt,run by govt pls if i may ask u where are all this money going to,d banks in side the skul pays the uni including every other none skul activities going on inside the skul.this ppl are using the students to fight for their pocket d faster u get dat into ur head the better for u

oau pays abt 14k. The school is free!!!!
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by kenny091(m): 1:55pm On Aug 04, 2013
to answer d op questn, we ll gain a lot if d goverment agrees to improve d budgetary allocatn to 25percent from an unbeleivable 5percent...bt on d oda hand ASUU shld explore oda means of making dier grievances known rather than punishing students everytym
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by chagga(m): 2:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
Yes we agree there is infrastructure deficiency and decay in our Unis but that is just part of d problem our lecturers on the other hand r the major problem because they are very lazy n corrupt many instances of bribe taken 2 upgrade marks abound and lectures notes used by my grandfathers is what we used( my children might end up using same). If lecturers commit themselves 2 their duties they won't have 2 fight for themselves we d populize ll do it 4 dem
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by yoged(m): 3:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
Why worry over ASUU? migrate from your University to UNILORIN with the SAME MATRIC NO; simply TEXT "PORT" to 38312 for 50naira only.... Reppin unilorin Alumni. Better by far all the way.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 04, 2013
Ordinarily, I wouldn't have made any comment. But the level of ignorance amidst Nigerian student is alarming.

Most of the people in academia are not into it for the money! They're there because they want to contribute their quota to the field, but the situation of our institution makes things worse for them, the laboratory is poor (ill facilitated) and the pay is poor too!!! That's why you think they're sadist!

I don't support the strike, because I believe that there are more civil ways to handle this issue.

Let the government, stop paying militants, terrorist and Agbero! Divert the money into equipping universities laboratory, library and let's stop breeding mediocre.
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by lincolnj88: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
Lol ...i believe even my lecturer who takes bizness maths will say “we are on strike“ and he cant solve simple present and future value of money...he will say “ pls class rep take dis material and let ur colleagues photocopy it frm u“ hahahahhah grit all of u in dis thread
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
Standing5: In a bid to impress, these OAU fake activist now look stupid. Them no sabi pass foolish Aluta! Aluta for the sake of it.
Yaba left pls
Re: What Do We Gain By Supporting ASUU Strike? by Kingspin(m): 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
Is far better to strike for corruption to stop in Nigeria..So that the money ASUU is asking for will be channel into key sectors including EDUCATION...because the money presently is going into private pockets..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Used As Human Guinea Pig After Radiation Disaster.(not for the faint hearts) / Oshun Ceramics Threatens Adeleke University With Destruction Of All Structures / African Charity Scholarship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.