Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,828 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Youwin Business Competition 2013 - Business (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (389531 Views)

Tips For Youwin Business Competition For 2015 / Apllication For YOUWIN Business Competition Extended To January 21st, 2014 / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by oluwooye: 9:21am On Oct 03, 2014
Not all businesses with raw materials produced in Nigeria will be selected obviously. But I don't know if they selected ANY business with imported raw materials. I will be glad to have anyone who made the final list and whose raw materials are imported to help clear my suspicion. Thanks.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Adulphus(m): 9:31am On Oct 03, 2014
The selection was based on judgement on the interview, it does not mean that those that were not selected did not wrote well in their plans or present well but the fact of not convincing them that you will be successful in the particular industry was the case of not being selected. And in a competition of any kind, they must be Winners and Losers but am not saying that anyone here not selected is a LOSER because the Plan of God for those that was not Selected is of GOOD. Meanwhile some people has to be dropped hence every body can not Win or get the Grant.

FOR THE SELECTED APPLICANTS
When is Mr. PRESIDENT going to Launch the AWARDEE CEREMONY at the VILA (expected date)

SHALOM!

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 9:35am On Oct 03, 2014
oluwooye: Congratulations to all the Winners. To the 750 people not selected (myself inclusive), one of the major criteria used to drop them is the source of their raw materials. As seen from the list of the industries where the winners were selected from: "farming, manufacturing of food and drinks, education, manufacturing of clothing and shoes, food and restaurant." and the first question I was asked by the interviewer - "where is the source of your raw materials? They went further by saying "before you answer that question, please note that the fact that you buy your. Raw materials in Nigeria does not mean it is produced in Nigeria". At that point I knew I might not be selected. When I told them that my raw materials are imported, they wrote down something before they continued with the interview. The other part of the interview was excellent as I was 99% sure I would get the grant as an existing business who already has a Nafdac approved product in the market with several millions of personal funds already invested. From the above, it is unfortunate that such criterion was used because Nigeria does not produce any raw material for the chemical industry. Even our petrol is importe
d, and the country is planning to import electricity again. They should have stated it from the beginning that industries whose raw materials are imported should not apply. That would have saved some of us some headache and lost time. Not to talk of the money spent. Most of the raw materials used in the chemical industry are petrochemical products which could have been produced locally if the government had fixed the ailing refinery for the past 15 years they've been in power. Everyone can not be into agriculture. Whatever happens, i'm happy for those that got selected while the rest of us are encouraged to keep up our dream regardless of the outcome.

i do not think that was the criteria.

My business plan involves 100% importation of both raw materials and equipment.

I am into crop farming with equipment being sourced from China and Netherlands. Seeds are coming in from Kenya and South Africa while my fertilizers (in liquid form) are also imported. The only thing Nigerian is me and my workers....and the land.

I can remember vividly that i was asked the same question and i provided the answers above.

One thing i noticed is that YouWin is actually interested in Innovative Physical products that have a ready market. Solutions that are beneficial to already exisging value chains.

For example, in agric, we already have a lot of poultry businesses financed by Youwin. Youwin would definitely want to see what you plan to do differently as a poultry farmer. If it is the same default of getting land, buying cages and DOC, your chances of winning are quite slim...except you have an existing business. There are many value chain businesses in poultry than egg production viz feeds, drugs, meat processing etc.

Secondly, some businesses might bring in income but might not be practically justifiable to the committee. Internet marketing comes to mind. selling e-books, get-rich-fast schemes, etc. No matter how brilliant your idea might be, it doesnt cut it.

Finally, A lot of brilliant ideas were not picked simply because there was a quota system. 1,500 winners had to emerge. if we had 1501 extremely brilliant ideas, one has to be dropped. Unfortunately, 750 were dropped.

This implies that the 1500 winnners were just lucky. Nothing more. It doesnt even imply that the 1500 winners had the best ideas....simple luck and grace.

7 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 12:39pm On Oct 03, 2014
Denn post=/post/26826000:

I am into crop farming with equipment being sourced from China and Netherlands. Seeds are coming in from Kenya and South Africa while my fertilizers (in liquid form) are also imported. The only thing Nigerian is me and my workers....and the land.

I can remember vividly that i was asked the same question and i provided the answers above.

One thing i noticed is that YouWin is actually interested in Innovative Physical products that have a ready market. Solutions that are beneficial to already exisging value chains.

For example, in agric, we already have a lot of poultry businesses financed by Youwin. Youwin would definitely want to see what you plan to do differently as a poultry farmer. If it is the same default of getting land, buying cages and DOC, your chances of winning are quite slim...except you have an existing business. There are many value chain businesses in poultry than egg production viz feeds, drugs, meat processing etc.

Secondly, some businesses might bring in income but might not be practically justifiable to the committee. Internet marketing comes to mind. selling e-books, get-rich-fast schemes, etc. No matter how brilliant your idea might be, it doesnt cut it.

Finally, A lot of brilliant ideas were not picked simply because there was a quota system. 1,500 winners had to emerge. if we had 1501 extremely brilliant ideas, one has to be dropped. Unfortunately, 750 were dropped.

This implies that the 1500 winnners were just lucky. Nothing more. It doesnt even imply that the 1500 winners had the best ideas....simple luck and grace.

Your analysis is always real and in tandem with life. Now that it is all over and I've been able to start the business with which I applied for the grant, I now see more and more reasons why I was not chosen. The value chain virtually does not exist in my business, the sector is even non existent as I am pioneering the service. If another programme is done, I will definitely love to apply and use the experience I have gained from people like you and favourl. I do not think I will be applying for an online business again though.

For those who did not make it, if you can source for funds to start your business then do so. If your business is already making sales, it becomes very hard to be rejected since you already have a market footprint and only want to expand.

4 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 1:58pm On Oct 03, 2014
October 20-28th, Abuja. Validation and agreement signing.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 2:05pm On Oct 03, 2014
blink182 post=/post/26830586:
Your analysis is always real and in tandem with life. Now that it is all over and I've been able to start the business with which I applied for the grant, I now see more and more reasons why I was not chosen. The value chain virtually does not exist in my business, the sector is even non existent as I am pioneering the service. If another programme is done, I will definitely love to apply and use the experience I have gained from people like you and favourl. I do not think I will be applying for an online business again though.

For those who did not make it, if you can source for funds to start your business then do so. If your business is already making sales, it becomes very hard to be rejected since you already have a market footprint and only want to expand.

Thanks for the compliment.

It is good to see you are not giving up.

I pray that God will create ways for you even beyond your expectations.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 2:06pm On Oct 03, 2014
CoolKizzy: October 20-28th, Abuja. Validation and agreement signing.

How did you get this?

++++modified. Seen. Email came in a bit late... The rains maybe
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2014
Denn:

Thanks for the compliment.

It is good to see you are not giving up.

I pray that God will create ways for you even beyond your expectations.

amen o my brother, business is moving gradually. I was able to get an old friend to partner and he does his business with international customers through me. Getting local businesses in has been a nightmare but quite a few are interested and have asked me to meet some parameters before they come in. I've stopped active advertising while I work on meeting the set criteria. These big CEOs are always busy. I had the opportunity to study the people behind mtn M academy and brother the process takes a really long time. Just exercising patience now because I know when it finally clicks. I will be where I want to be.

2 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by CoolKizzy(m): 2:43pm On Oct 03, 2014
If the necessary funds are not available to fund this GRANT AGREEMENT as a result of a change in Government policy, legislation or a decision by a Court of competent jurisdiction, all obligations on the part of the FMF to make any further payment of grant funds hereunder shall terminate, and the Recipient shall submit his final exit report within (60) days of receipt of a notice to that effect from the FMF.

God abeg o, let Jona win ooo 2015 oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2014
CoolKizzy: [b][/b]

God abeg o, let Jona win ooo 2015 oo

Even if Jonathan doesn't win, it will be foolhardy of any government to suspend this programme... It has been the best thing for youths since NYSC.

Even other countries are trying to adopt this model.

America with all its power and intelligence doesn't have such a programme... Except social pay handouts and visa lottery.

This youwin will outlive Jonathan sef except corruption digs in...
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2014
In preparation towards the validation process that determines your eligibility for the YouWiN! grant award and the signing of a Legal Agreement with the Federal Ministry of Finance which is scheduled to hold for a day within October 20 – 28, 2014 in Abuja. A sample of the agreement can be viewed by clicking below link.Alternatively, you can copy and paste the link URL unto a web browser.

https://www.youwin.org.ng/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/YouWiN-3_Grantee_Agreement.pdf
You are advised to carefully review ahead of the validation and signing of agreement.

Validation details (date and time) for your region will be sent to you next week. Please note that you are responsible for all travel expenses for this meeting as there will be no reimbursements.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 03, 2014
Denn:

That poultry farming thing is so common, almost like the default business in south west. Almost everybody does it lol. what about the fruit juice industry?.....what do you think of that idea. It's obviously not as populated as agric.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2014
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA
FEDERAL MINISTRY OF FINANCE
YOUTH ENTERPRISE WITH INNOVATION IN NIGERIA [YouWiN]
PROGRAMME
SMALL BUSINESS (START-UP AND EXPANSION) GRANT AGREEMENT
THIS GRANT AGREEMENT is made this ……………………….. day of……………………………………………, 2014
Between:
The Federal Government of Nigeria (“FGN”), represented, by Mrs. A. M. Daniel-Nwaobia the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Finance of Ahmadu Bello Way, PMB 14, Central Business District, Abuja (hereinafter referred to as "The Ministry" or "FMF", which term shall, as the context permits, refer to its successors-in-title),
And:
……………………………………………………….. of ……………........................................... ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. (hereinafter referred to as "The Recipient", which term shall, where the context so permits, include his successors-in-title)
WHEREAS:
a) The FGN wishes to empower youth entrepreneurs in Nigeria through a special programme known and described as the YOUTH ENTERPRISE WITH INNOVATION IN NIGERIA PROGRAMME (“YouWiN”) with the overall objective of creating employment through the expansion or creation of businesses wholly owned and/or managed by young Nigerian entrepreneurs within the catchment age;
b) The FGN has mandated the FMF to coordinate the selection of beneficiaries under YouWiN and the FMF has launched a Business Plan Competition to identify qualified entrepreneurs with bankable business ideas requiring start-up or expansion capital and who agree to accept a grant to meet the business needs of the approved business plan and the perceived ability of the entrepreneur to meet pre-agreed business targets; and
c) The Recipient, having voluntarily and successfully participated in the pre-qualification exercises for beneficiaries as prescribed in the YouWiN Guidelines, has been selected
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
ARTICLE 6 - SCHEDULE OF DISBURSEMENT
6.1 Tranche No. 1: Upon successful achievement of 100 percent of the pre-qualification objectives, the Recipient shall receive a percentage, to be determined by the FMF, of the total sum awarded as grant for the start-up of new business or expansion of existing business (whichever is applicable).
6.2 Tranche No. 2: The Recipient files with the FMF financial records and business narrative reports clearly depicting substantial achievement of tranche 1 milestones to an extent satisfactory to the FMF, especially in the application of earlier grant funds to approved deliverables and (preferably) the successful achievement of those deliverables.
6.3 Tranche No. 3: The Recipient files with the FMF financial records and business reports clearly depicting substantial achievement of tranche 3 milestones to an extent satisfactory to the FMF, especially in the application of earlier grant funds to approved deliverables and (preferably) the successful achievement of those deliverables.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 3:57pm On Oct 03, 2014
Termination for Cause
18.2.1 Grounds for termination of this Agreement by the FMF for cause shall include that the Recipient:
18.2.2 Commits any material breach of this GRANT AGREEMENT.
18.2.3 Fails to perform his obligations as stated in the business plan or this GRANT AGREEMENT.
18.2.4 Fails to operate or administer his business with reasonable diligence to assure compliance with this GRANT AGREEMENT.
18.2.5 Fails to promptly take appropriate and adequate corrective or remedial action to address any misuse of grants funds.
18.2.6 Fails to ensure that the work/business for which grant funds already disbursed were ear-marked begins and proceeds with reasonable dispatch.
18.2.6 Fails to ensure that grant funds disbursed to the Recipient or by Recipient for procurement of goods or services or any reason whatsoever captured within the purview of this GRANT AGREEMENT are properly used and accounted for in accordance with this GRANT AGREEMENT.
18.2.7 Discontinues the performance of the work, business or Business Plan approved during pre-qualification without first terminating this Grant Agreement as above provided.
18.2.8 Fails to resume or cause to be resumed work/business that has been discontinued within the period specified in any written notice from the FMF to do so.
18.2.9 Becomes insolvent or is declared insolvent, unless within Thirty (30) days the Recipient (including its receiver or trustee in bankruptcy) provides to the FMF adequate assurances, reasonably acceptable to the FMF, of Recipient's continuing ability and willingness to fulfill its obligations under this GRANT AGREEMENT.
18.2.10 Makes an assignment of its rights or obligations hereunder, whether for the benefit of creditors or otherwise, without the prior written approval of the FMF.
18.2.11 Makes or has made any intentional misrepresentation, or any intentional omission to state material facts (the lack of which made the statement so made misleading), in any oral or written statements or materials provi
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 4:02pm On Oct 03, 2014
Donxavier:

That poultry farming thing is so common, almost like the default business in south west. Almost everybody does it lol. what about the fruit juice industry?.....what do you think of that idea. It's obviously not as populated as agric.

You are so right.

Poultry is too common.... And the cost of a proper poultry is in multiples of what youwin offers.

I was at a farm last week and the cost of set up was N90m. It's a fully automated 60,000 bird capacity pen. Further investments to be done by this farmer in 2015 is around 200m. The farmer was even still saying he is just starting. Youwin is N10m max.

Fruit juice is water based.... Any business based on selling drinkable fluids will flourish exceedingly in Nigeria. We have 160 million thirsty throats and there is always a party every weekend.

The main problem would be threats from new entrants and their gross consistency of spoiling market. Look at pure water and yoghurt businesses in Nigeria. The innovators enjoyed at first but almost every family owns a pure water business now. If your feasibility shows niche control, then it's cool. Your differentiating factors might be set up costs, knowledge, packaging, branding, regulatory approvals and most importantly, your selling skills.

Remember you have existing mega players in the industry... Chivita, funman, 5alive etc.... These guys are not your friend and won't mind stifling you out.

In summary, it's a very wonderful business idea and I believe you can create a strong market once the basics of branding, pricing, market penetration, costing, process, logistics and positioning are carefully analysed.

I wish you best of luck and once you launch, let us know the brand name and how to buy from you.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 4:03pm On Oct 03, 2014
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the parties hereto have hereunto set their hands and seals the day and year first above written.
SIGNED SEALED AND DELIVERED BY The Honorable Minister of Finance, ] For and on behalf of the ] ----------------------------------------- Federal Republic of Nigeria ] Mrs. A. M. Daniel-Nwaobia Permanent Secretary
In the presence of:
Signature:………………………………………
Name:……………………………………………
Title:……………………………………………..
SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED BY:
Signature:……………………………….
Name:………………………………………
Title:…………………………………………
In the presence of
Signature:………………………………………………
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by bolufelix(f): 4:12pm On Oct 03, 2014
The ever informative, , prompt and authentic Favouryl. Welldone
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 03, 2014
Denn:

You are so right.

Poultry is too common.... And the cost of a proper poultry is in multiples of what youwin offers.

I was at a farm last week and the cost of set up was N90m. It's a fully automated 60,000 bird capacity pen. Further investments to be done by this farmer in 2015 is around 200m. The farmer was even still saying he is just starting. Youwin is N10m max.

Fruit juice is water based.... Any business based on selling drinkable fluids will flourish exceedingly in Nigeria. We have 160 million thirsty throats and there is always a party every weekend.

The main problem would be threats from new entrants and their gross consistency of spoiling market. Look at pure water and yoghurt businesses in Nigeria. The innovators enjoyed at first but almost every family owns a pure water business now. If your feasibility shows niche control, then it's cool. Your differentiating factors might be set up costs, knowledge, packaging, branding, regulatory approvals and most importantly, your selling skills.

Remember you have existing mega players in the industry... Chivita, funman, 5alive etc.... These guys are not your friend and won't mind stifling you out.

In summary, it's a very wonderful business idea and I believe you can create a strong market once the basics of branding, pricing, market penetration, costing, process, logistics and positioning are carefully analysed.

I wish you best of luck and once you launch, let us know the brand name and how to buy from you.

Great stuff. Wow, I need to be your friend smiley, such an insightful response. I am looking at sourcing financing from the bank of Industries, 10m max.

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by xdream(m): 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2014
Eavesdropping
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by ariduz: 5:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
Pls who's into furniture and wood production in, let's share ideas
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by chukwuka12: 7:03pm On Oct 03, 2014
Poultry thingz cool
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 8:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
ariduz: Pls who's into furniture and wood production in, let's share ideas

This is your first post on NL.

You were registered just last week.

Maybe you should tell us more about you and your business.

An introduction would suffice

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 03, 2014
I am wondering how those who used others to front will cope with this kind conditions.
Their terms and agreement no be here oo. Na God go see person through all these stringent conditions
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 10:49pm On Oct 03, 2014
October 20th to 28th involves just 6 working days. One day for each geo political zone.

I can notice a rush herein.

Notification would be sent next week for an event happening just within a week in Abuja.

Award ceremony might occur in November then.

First tranche within December.

my humble permutations still.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 10:53pm On Oct 03, 2014
Bigboyz32: I am wondering how those who used others to front will cope with this kind conditions.
Their terms and agreement no be here oo. Na God go see person through all these stringent conditions

A 'frontee' who got to this level will scale through.

What is there to validate again?
Id? Citizenship? Qualifications? Sex? No database in Nigeria.

It's mainly legal signing.

Abuja is just too far....

Will the awardees be invited to the final ceremony?,
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by ariduz: 2:42am On Oct 04, 2014
@Denn, you are so right, but hv been following and constantly checking up on this forum for a very long time before even registering..anyway am 1 of the provisional awardee.. my business is mainly on furniture / interior decoration and wood production.. Hope it's cool 4 now..
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 6:51am On Oct 04, 2014
ariduz: @Denn, you are so right, but hv been following and constantly checking up on this forum for a very long time before even registering..anyway am 1 of the provisional awardee.. my business is mainly on furniture / interior decoration and wood production.. Hope it's cool 4 now..

Very cool. Apologies if I sounded to harsh.

Do you produce the furniture or just retail?

there is this new material just being adopted in Nigeria by furniture makers as a replacement to sawn wood. I don't know the name. It's like a board and comes in many colours. The finished product is always beautiful.

Furniture also seems to be a highly segmented business. There are sofas of between N45k and N2m. Identifying niche is 100% critical. Who you are selling to matters.

You should also consider branding to differentiate your business. Lifemate, Bedmate, Master and other popular high niche brands come to mind.

However, I believe the best and guaranteed ROI on a N10m or less investment will come from focusing on the middle income and upcoming youths market.

I applaud you sir for having this brilliant idea.

Please just don't make your products too expensive... You know we customers have a lot of expenses. grin cheesy

Try to minimise your unit cost without sacrificing quality.

Focus more on process management. For example, an electric saw should be used instead of manual. This reduces time spent on a single unit. More units can therefore be produced.

Don't forget to create a very professional website. You can post links here once it is ready so we can recommend customers to you.

Congrats and best of luck
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 04, 2014
Does anybody know about sourcing startup funding from The Bank of Industries?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by edundayo(m): 10:19am On Oct 04, 2014
Please note that you are responsible for all travel expenses for this meeting as there will be no reimbursements.

ARTICLE 9 - TRAVEL EXPENSES
The Recipient shall ensure that grant funds are not expended by the Recipient for travel costs in excess of that which is payable to FMF employees on Grade Level 8 for travel and per diem, and in any case, it is hereby prohibited for the Recipient to expend more that 1% of the total grant amount on travel expenses.

1% of N10m=N100,000 (and Recipients don't even know the amount they're awarded yet). ABA! YouWiN Secretariat! abi na FMF!, enough of those compulsory traveling events/meetings then, and let the disbursement began already!

Just thinking aloud!

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by ariduz: 10:52am On Oct 04, 2014
@ denn, thanks for the advise and encouragement..it's called mdf board(medium density fibre board) yes it's mostly used this days , but there's a Nigerian made own, but not too strong and reliable.. the board is being produced from blended wood though most of our raw materials are sourced locally, but are imported apart from the wood we source locally, but I was able to convince the panelist with a waiver from budget office (ministry of finance) and customs on reduction on importation of furniture raw materials/accessories and I can boast of of 20hrs uninterrupted electricity in my factory Which will enhable us meet up demand..our product are not expensive compared to others because we don't just trade, we manufacture..Thanks
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by stagger: 11:11am On Oct 04, 2014
Denn:

Even if Jonathan doesn't win, it will be foolhardy of any government to suspend this programme... It has been the best thing for youths since NYSC.

Even other countries are trying to adopt this model.

America with all its power and intelligence doesn't have such a programme... Except social pay handouts and visa lottery.

This youwin will outlive Jonathan sef except corruption digs in...

Brother mi,

There was a lot of opposition to this program especially from some of the people who have held Nigerians hostage and who benefit from Nigerians not being empowered. GEJ stood his ground which is why the program stayed. When I see people criticizing him up and down I just laugh.

If he is re-elected (which I pray he is), there is every chance the program will continue, since it is his brainchild. If he loses, the program will be seen as a product of a previous administration and it will be jettisoned.

That is the cold hard fact of Nigerian politics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (149) (Reply)

Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks / Why You Should Stay Away From MMM Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.