Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,028 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Youwin Business Competition 2013 - Business (54) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (389245 Views)

Tips For Youwin Business Competition For 2015 / Apllication For YOUWIN Business Competition Extended To January 21st, 2014 / Youwin Business Competition 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (149) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by wakes: 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2014
favoryourl:

yeah you will be going to abuja for booth camp training about three times there about.
and let me quickly add that some group of persons will be called soon to abuja for the presidential award before the signing things. so when u are called be rest assured that u business plan is good
judging from youwin one. we were called for the award and all expenses fully paid. that was my first time of seeing p square and they sang chop my money.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering when the first tranch would be paid and what would follow immediately after the validation exercise.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by wakes: 7:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
favoryourl:
ADVICE TO AWARDEES
If u are an awwardee u can go a step further by geting ur TIN number with FIRS to enable u open ur corporate account.(IT IS FREE)
just sugesting pls no ill feelings
Thanks dear1. I just noticed you on this thread. You are a blessing and are blessed!
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by wakes: 7:12pm On Oct 09, 2014
Denn:

Lol.

Not really. I gave the summary here and also included the main working template from CBN.

I am involved in the CBN MSMEDF and that is why I made it known.

It must be reiterated that it is a lending platform that requires all the normal nuggets of commercial bank lending viz collateral, cash flow, character etc. The main difference is the interest rate (9% p.a.) and the tenor (up to 5 years.)

Existing business with growth trend and collateral can apply.
Thanks Denn
Normally, every bank with an SME desk should be able to package thr loan but I have found out that the knowledge is not spread.

Incase you are within lagos or ogun axis and you want us to discuss further, I can always be reached via a direct message.

I will leave the banking sector soon and would like to assist as many businesses as I can before I leave.

I have gotten some silent members of this forum hitting me mails on the subject and discussions are ongoing.

Thanks
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by wakes: 7:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
Denn:

Lol.

Not really. I gave the summary here and also included the main working template from CBN.

I am involved in the CBN MSMEDF and that is why I made it known.

It must be reiterated that it is a lending platform that requires all the normal nuggets of commercial bank lending viz collateral, cash flow, character etc. The main difference is the interest rate (9% p.a.) and the tenor (up to 5 years.)

Existing business with growth trend and collateral can apply.
Thanks Denn
Normally, every bank with an SME desk should be able to package thr loan but I have found out that the knowledge is not spread.

Incase you are within lagos or ogun axis and you want us to discuss further, I can always be reached via a direct message.

I will leave the banking sector soon and would like to assist as many businesses as I can before I leave.

I have gotten some silent members of this forum hitting me mails on the subject and discussions are ongoing.

Thanks
Thanks Denn
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 09, 2014
Denn, where you at?. Pls reply my mails
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by wakes: 7:39pm On Oct 09, 2014
Denn:

i do not think that was the criteria.

My business plan involves 100% importation of both raw materials and equipment.

I am into crop farming with equipment being sourced from China and Netherlands. Seeds are coming in from Kenya and South Africa while my fertilizers (in liquid form) are also imported. The only thing Nigerian is me and my workers....and the land.

I can remember vividly that i was asked the same question and i provided the answers above.

One thing i noticed is that YouWin is actually interested in Innovative Physical products that have a ready market. Solutions that are beneficial to already exisging value chains.

For example, in agric, we already have a lot of poultry businesses financed by Youwin. Youwin would definitely want to see what you plan to do differently as a poultry farmer. If it is the same default of getting land, buying cages and DOC, your chances of winning are quite slim...except you have an existing business. There are many value chain businesses in poultry than egg production viz feeds, drugs, meat processing etc.

Secondly, some businesses might bring in income but might not be practically justifiable to the committee. Internet marketing comes to mind. selling e-books, get-rich-fast schemes, etc. No matter how brilliant your idea might be, it doesnt cut it.

Finally, A lot of brilliant ideas were not picked simply because there was a quota system. 1,500 winners had to emerge. if we had 1501 extremely brilliant ideas, one has to be dropped. Unfortunately, 750 were dropped.

This implies that the 1500 winnners were just lucky. Nothing more. It doesnt even imply that the 1500 winners had the best ideas....simple luck and grace.

Ore, what is your business about pls? I have noticed your intelligence and experience in the business world. Thumbs up!
<<<modified>>> just checked out your self designed website... You are great bro. The site looks pro! I would have to check again with a computer to be able to give final verdict. It looks like you used Joomla to design?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 8:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
Donxavier:
Denn, where you at?. Pls reply my mails

I am here... I have..
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 8:29pm On Oct 09, 2014
wakes:

Ore, what is your business about pls? I have noticed your intelligence and experience in the business world. Thumbs up!
<<<modified>>> just checked out your self designed website... You are great bro. The site looks pro! I would have to check again with a computer to be able to give final verdict. It looks like you used Joomla to design?

Thanks bro... I am an aspiring farmer. My current job allows me interact with businesses and analyse their growth strategies. ... That's where I learnt the small small things I dey say o... I am still learning too...

Website was designed with godaddy website builder.

Joomla and Co are for the professionals.... I am just a farmer.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 10, 2014
Denn:

I am here... I have..

Didn't get any reply. Pls can you resend
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by awezu: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2014
Denn pls wats your contact details , email and phone . I'll like to have a chat outside of this forum.

I am yet to see any other provisional awardee in my line of business. I am into renewable energy with focus on solar and wind energy.

To all awardess that will like to minimise cost of diesel by 70%, i have a solution for you all and for all that will spend huge amount on power pls you need to take adbvantage of renewable energy. Alternative energy works if its sourced from the right channels and installed with skills and expertise as there are a lot of inferior products and untrained personnel in Nigeria presently.

Has anyone received any notification for Award ceremony ?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 10, 2014
awezu:
Denn pls wats your contact details , email and phone . I'll like to have a chat outside of this forum.

I am yet to see any other provisional awardee in my line of business. I am into renewable energy with focus on solar and wind energy.

To all awardess that will like to minimise cost of diesel by 70%, i have a solution for you all and for all that will spend huge amount on power pls you need to take adbvantage of renewable energy. Alternative energy works if its sourced from the right channels and installed with skills and expertise as there are a lot of inferior products and untrained personnel in Nigeria presently.

The issue with this has always been the batteries....most of them start out well only to fizzle out in a few months and you back to square one. How efficient are the batteries?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 12:06pm On Oct 10, 2014
awezu:

My contact is on my website smiley .... www.sherdenfarms.com . I appreciate more of mails or WhatsApp chats than calls due to my job. Apologies for that.

I won't mind a solution to my power issues. Pricing is however key. Let's discuss on you providing solar power for my farm. I have equipment that will need power...

Will ceremony happen before validation?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 12:14pm On Oct 10, 2014
Donxavier:

The issue with this has always been the batteries....most of them start out well only to fizzle out in a few months and you back to square one. How efficient are the batteries?

You are very right.

My inverter at home had issues with the battery within a year of use... And those batteries are expensive....

Let's hope awezu has a solution that we can buy.... At an affordable price oooooooo
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Nobody: 1:07pm On Oct 10, 2014
Please if anyone is doing a food processing business here, can you please give me the cost analysis for getting nafdac certificate?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by konos(f): 1:35pm On Oct 10, 2014
How does one penetrate a specific market for products. Any ideas will be welcomed cheesy
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by ariduz: 1:48pm On Oct 10, 2014
Good day everyone... I have a question about the legal agreement.. *WHO SIGNS AS WITNESS*
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by konos(f): 1:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
What is the cost of transport from abakaliki to abuja. wink
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by awezu: 2:32pm On Oct 10, 2014
Ok on batteries ..... about 80% of batteries in circulation here in Nigeria are inferior products from Asia and even from other African countries . Also not all batteries from Europe are of standard quality. Renewable energy products and its accessories require a manufacturer that understands where the products are going to and designs the best quality that suits that environment .... (thats why i am a youwin awardee) cos i dont follow the crowd, i stand out

My batteries come with btw 1-7yrs warranty depending on the product and price ure willing to pay and an additional 3 years after warranty replacement at a minimum cost . Guys do you know that a good battery should last you a minimum of 3yrs to 15yrs usage. c'mon there is a solution on ground already guys dnt worry urself about power no more even if ure operating from the deserts of zamfara .

We are together and we will be joint beneficiaries of each others innovations....... we are family now
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by konos(f): 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2014
awezu:
Ok on batteries ..... about 80% of batteries in circulation here in Nigeria are inferior products from Asia and even from other African countries . Also not all batteries from Europe are of standard quality. Renewable energy products and its accessories require a manufacturer that understands where the products are going to and designs the best quality that suits that environment .... (thats why i am a youwin awardee) cos i dont follow the crowd, i stand out

My batteries come with btw 1-7yrs warranty depending on the product and price ure willing to pay and an additional 3 years after warranty replacement at a minimum cost . Guys do you know that a good battery should last you a minimum of 3yrs to 15yrs usage. c'mon there is a solution on ground already guys dnt worry urself about power no more even if ure operating from the deserts of zamfara .

We are together and we will be joint beneficiaries of each others innovations....... we are family now
That will help me of it wks well. Does it use solar or watwat wink
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 3:09pm On Oct 10, 2014
konos:
What is the cost of transport from abakaliki to abuja. wink

Lol... It depends on the mode... Leg, bicycle, keep napep, Nissan micra, toyota bus, lamborghinhi, cargo plane, private jet etc..

When you choose, we will be able to give valid answers...

Lol

Pun intended

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by konos(f): 3:11pm On Oct 10, 2014
How many times will we go to abuja? Dis people no know say money dey hard for applicants? Na wa o
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by konos(f): 3:15pm On Oct 10, 2014
Denn:

Lol... It depends on the mode... Leg, bicycle, keep napep, Nissan micra, toyota bus, lamborghinhi, cargo plane, private jet etc..

When you choose, we will be able to give valid answers...

Lol

Pun intended
I tire for u oo. Na leg abi na keke I wan take go abuja? If u know d answer give it an if not just punch out :- tongue
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2014
ariduz:
Good day everyone... I have a question about the legal agreement.. *WHO SIGNS AS WITNESS*

your neigbbour....another awardee....i will only sign for ladies o...lol grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 4:26pm On Oct 10, 2014
konos:

I tire for u oo. Na leg abi na keke I wan take go abuja? If u know d answer give it an if not just punch out :- tongue

lol

check at the nearest motor park bro.

dont punch the driver on the way o, else he will just drop you for inside one village where network no dey.

lol

1 Like

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
awezu:

when is your location? when are you going to abuja?
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Homguy(m): 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2014
favoryourl:
FOR BLOCK INDUSTRY

Q 1Briefly decribe your business. What products and/or services do you offer. What are your business objectives. FAVOR block industry is a cement block molding industry that will be involved in the Production and sales of building blocks of different sizes and shapes for masonry use. Cement blocks are widely use as a major construction materials and as such used in all residential , commercial,and industrial building construction. Our objectives includes;- Creating an image that is unique, differentiated, and definable in the mind of our customers by ensuring products quality, judgement like durability, performance features, reliability, safety, aesthetic, appearance are at the best.- Building of sales volume and brand value simultaneously to become the leading provider of cement blocks and services in Bernese town.

Q 2Why are you in this business? What are the advantages your products have over competitors.

Going into any business requires addressing a need. The ever increasing demand for new residential, office building to accommodate people has created a high demand for quality blocks. As a result of this demand a huge market gap has been created for possible exploitation by FAVOR blocks. Apart from my passion for the business, i have been involved in the business from child hood because my father is a veteran in the industry. So its like turning an interest or hobby into a business. Our products have the following as an advantage;- The quality and strength differentiation, cost effectiveness and versatility, appearance of our products separate us from the competition and will propel demand as we ramp up our marketing strategies.- Our core competency is the intellectual properties within the industry that are innovative will help our industry distinguish our block from its rivals as well as reduced its cost

Q 3Describe your target market and any segment in your Market. How do you plan to reach your target market segment.

Key factors were considered prior to the selecting of corporate market segment. The attractiveness of this segment is based on its profitability, growth potential, size of the market, risk associated with the market and the capacity of the business to serve the selected segment. FAVOR block shall target individuals building houses, government contractors, building contractors, civil engineers, development agencies, construction workers, and architect within the corporate arena. The industry plans to reach its target markets by; Working closely with distributors Making use of direct selling which include s, personal contact, personal selling,as well as advertisements and publicity.

Q 4Who are your major competitors, how do you intend to capture the market from your competitors. Our major competitors are not within the locality of the business, however, competition may arise from other blocks industry outside ONDO They include Donna blocks, Navarre blocks, Daniela blocks. Other competition may arise from close substitute like red bricks made from sand. We intend to capture the market from our competitors through our marketing effort that will be focused on identifying and understanding customers ever changing needs. The marketing effort i.e(market mix) will drive the customers value proposition of our products.- we will strive to ensure the quality and strength of our blocks are not compromised- we will use a combination of push and pull strategy to create awareness and appraise lead and sales- we will establish a unique selling advantage as we will look into all aspect of adding value in terms of customers intimacy and value base pricing.- our business will be located in the most convenient location for customers with a good access road and a communication network.- we will gather people who are best in the industry to work for us.

Q 5What are the risk involved in implementing your business. How do you intend to manage or reduce this risk. The risk includes;-

market risk:- Markets that are overly saturated with our products and potential customers are already locked up by competitors, it will be difficult to gain significant market share. FAVOR blocks will effectively manage this risks by performing a market analysis to determine potential market and uncovered customers need.-

management/­operational risk:- ineffective management can have adverse effects on sales efficiency, quality control and customer service. We plan to mitigate this by employing experienced and skilled labourers.-

financial risk:- this emanate from the fact that owners contributions is small as compared to the amount requested from external funders. This will be mitigated by seeking for grants and low or interest free loan.

- event/products risk:- events like rain, flood, adulterated cement, can have severe effect on the production process. We plan to mitigate this by producing much blocks that will be sold in raining season and acquisition of land that will not be affected by flood.

Q 6Briefly describe the operation process in your business.

1. The first step is business registration with CAC
2. Acquisition of space (land)
3. Sinking of borehole or well
4.Purchase of block molding machines and equipments, this includes;- vibrating block molding machine (mold blocks faster)- diesel generator (power supply)- cement mixer (needed for proper mixing of cement, sand and water)- Wooden pallet (seat that support cement block in the molding drying process)- Head pans and shovels(needed to carry sand)- supply vehicle(truck to deliver blocks to customers on building site)
5. Raw material need for cement block production. ( sand, cement and water)
6. Hiring of experience workers.
The production of blocks consist of three basic steps, mixing, molding and curing.

Q7What experience do you have to enable you manage this business. Include any relevant training and experience.As currently the manager of Dangers blocks, own by my uncle, it is imperative that i have an indepth understanding of the managerial duties and responsibilities in the industry. My duty is to oversee all the operations and practices of the industry. Added to it, I have been involved in the businee from child hood because my father is a veteran in the industry. So its like turning an interest or hobby into a business.

8How much money do you need to implement your business? How will you fund the business? What will the fund beused for? How and when the business Will make profit? Please show a summary of the break even.The money needed to implement this business is N7,451,400. Out of which252,000 thousand naira will be owners contribution.Part of The fund will be used in the purchase of capital machines and equipment while the remaining will be used for running operating expenses.It is envisage that the business will make profit after it has covered both the fixed and variable cost. This will be after7 months from the inception of the business.Total fixed cost = N 2,881,208Price per unit = N150Cost per unit =N 92Total revenue = N17,130,000 (10 months)Total cost = N10,506,400 (10 months)Contribution margin = N17,130,000 - N10,506,400= N6,623,600Contribution margin ratio = contributions margin ÷ revenue= N6,623,600 ÷ N17,130,000= 0.3866667Break-even (amount) = Fixed cost ÷ contribution margin ratio= N2,881,208 ÷ 0.3866667= N7,451,399.Break-even (units) = Break-even amount÷ cost per unit= N7,451,399 ÷ N150= 49,676 unitsAlternatively ;Breakeven (units) = fixed cost ÷ contribution= N2,881,208 ÷ (150 - 92)= 2,881,208 ÷ 58= 49,676 units.Break-even (Amount ) = Break even units × price per unit= 49,676 × 150= N7,451,400Aug 11
were you asked all these questions? Or you formulated them yourself.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by edundayo(m): 4:35pm On Oct 10, 2014
awezu:

Seeing your post about renewable energy made me remember the encounter I had with a Professor from US with the same idea. Anyway, where are you at?

Surely we are family now!
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by edundayo(m): 4:36pm On Oct 10, 2014
Denn:
Hello Guys

Please I need your help.

I have designed my website... Yes I did it myself.

I need inputs on its depth and quality.

The site is www.sherdenfarms.com

The only page not uploaded is the 'about us' and it's for a specific reason.

All comments welcome pls.

Thanks

Hey Denn, congrats on the launching of your site, it's a step in the right direction and that's not bad from farmer...lol

However since you asked for comments, here are mine; 'I'll be honest' If you'd asked just about the outlook I might have said "YES OK" but quality and depth is like talking about professionality and indept, both of which need more work. Therefore, below are some of my views on the site:

Brand Colour + Logo Colours + Site Colour Scheme:
One important thing you should think thoroughly about is making sure all three elements above are either the same or syncronizes very well with each other.

Background Picture:
I think it can be better.

Top Margin:
Personally I think the top margin is too much, reducing it to zero will give the site a better outlook and give room for more content to occupy the "above the fold" space.

Slideshow:
Looks too high/tall to me, taking up all the 'above the fold' space. That will be ok if all you are looking to showcase/get your visitors attention to is the logo and slideshow, but if not, you might want to consider a shorter one because you cannot always bet on most of your first time visitors scrolling down the page before hitting the close button, until at least they are used to your site.

Font Case:
I think you should be warry of ALL CAPS, like this: "THERE IS NO LOVE MORE SINCERE THAN THE LOVE OF FOOD" or should I rather say avoid it. And try to make your font case consistent, these are not: *Our PROMISE *our ​fo​cus *our process.

Slogan/Moto: "Quality products in quality time"
Why hide it last on the page should be part of the first thing visitor see, is it not part of your Unique Selling Proposition (USP)?

Social Media Profile Icons:
I think the icons should link to where it's supposed to go or should be removed while you're creating the links, else once visitors click it once or twice and it did not go where it's supposed to go, they will decide it no use and most might never bother checking it again, afterall they've got to many distraction to bother about.

Some of the above might come off as personal preference but they are borne out of experience, So, I hope you'll find them helpful.

3 Likes

Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by Denn(m): 4:41pm On Oct 10, 2014
edundayo:

Hey Denn, congrats on the launching of your site, it's a step in the right direction and that's not bad from farmer...lol

However since you asked for comments, here are mine; 'I'll be honest' If you'd asked just about the outlook I might have said "YES OK" but quality and depth is like talking about professionality and indept, both of which need more work. Therefore, below are some of my views on the site:

Brand Colour + Logo Colours + Site Colour Scheme:
One important thing you should think thoroughly about is making sure all three elements above are either the same or syncronizes very well with each other.

Background Picture:
I think it can be better.

Top Margin:
Personally I think the top margin is too much, reducing it to zero will give the site a better outlook and give room for more content to occupy the "above the fold" space.

Slideshow:
Looks too high/tall to me, taking up all the 'above the fold' space. That will be ok if all you are looking to showcase/get your visitors attention to is the logo and slideshow, but if not, you might want to consider a shorter one because you cannot always bet on most of your first time visitors scrolling down the page before hitting the close button, until at least they are used to your site.

Font Case:
I think you should be warry of ALL CAPS, like this: "THERE IS NO LOVE MORE SINCERE THAN THE LOVE OF FOOD" or should I rather say avoid it. And try to make your font case consistent, these are not: *Our PROMISE *our ​fo​cus *our process.

Slogan/Moto: "Quality products in quality time"
Why hide it last on the page should be part of the first thing visitor see, is it not part of your Unique Selling Proposition (USP)?

Social Media Profile Icons:
I think the icons should link to where it's supposed to go or should be removed while you're creating the links, else once visitors click it once or twice and it did not go where it's supposed to go, they will decide it no use and most might never bother checking it again, afterall they've got to many distraction to bother about.

Some of the above might come off as personal preference but they are borne out of experience, So, I hope you'll find them helpful.

whao.....

i am printing this comment right away...

i will work on every single point raised.

i really appreciate this...

thanks
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by favoryourl(m): 6:47pm On Oct 10, 2014
awezu:

bros let me have your contact so I cld call u I have been thinking of using one before now.
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by chukwuka12: 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2014
Nice contribution Edundayo, respect u for your choice of words.... cool
@ Ariduz anybody can witness... D closest person to u at d time will do. U do 4 d person and he/she does 4 u...
@Konos , if De tell us to go to Abuja 10 more times b4 d award is given, we will oh.... Look at d brighter picture, u are about to start ur dream business being your boss.... Abuja 3 more times will not hurt.......lol
Re: Youwin Business Competition 2013 by konos(f): 10:45pm On Oct 10, 2014
Denn:

lol

check at the nearest motor park bro.

dont punch the driver on the way o, else he will just drop you for inside one village where network no dey.

lol
If e miss road I go punch am na to bring em senses back. grin anyways no hurt feelings. Gudnite wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) ... (149) (Reply)

Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks / Why You Should Stay Away From MMM Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.