Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,280 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1617) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5949221 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1614) (1615) (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) (1620) ... (2841) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 10, 2018
Centrifude:

Henry you are being seriously Childish and petty right now.

"Algerian1, when did you guys get the Norinco
VP6?"

What's so ridiculous about this question?

Algerian1 has proven to have a lot of Knowledge about his country's procurement system, and defense systems in general, him being Student Doctor has nothing to do with it.

Last we heard, Algerian1 has been busy with his Military training which is why he disappeared.

It's like asking when did the N.A.F get the Super Mushkat trainers...

You need to relax bro. 
I apologize, Frumentius.

I read your comment as why, not when.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 9:56pm On Mar 10, 2018
kids...
fighting all the time.
what is all this

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ViceAdmirlAgain: 7:04am On Mar 11, 2018
frumentius:
Cousins, are you also mounting something more substantial on your RG-32's remote weapons stations?

Me thinks u know something we dont grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 11, 2018
ViceAdmirlAgain:

Me thinks u know something we dont grin
grin grin grin
No I don't. It's just that those piddly PKs just look wrong and I haven't heard of you mounting anything beyond that. What's the point of buying the SDROW - which can handle anything from 5.56 to 20mm - just to put PKs on it?

Your RG-32s look impressive. Do you know your guys got Denel to so tailor it that it's now a variant on its own, the RG-32MN?
By the way, now that ICP incorporated your feed-back and made changes to the REVA FAV, are you buying more?

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ViceAdmirlAgain: 7:58pm On Mar 11, 2018
frumentius:

grin grin grin
No I don't. It's just that those piddly PKs just look wrong and I haven't heard of you mounting anything beyond that. What's the point of buying the SDROW - which can handle anything from 5.56 to 20mm - just to put PKs on it?

Your RG-32s look impressive. Do you know your guys got Denel to so tailor it that it's now a variant on its own, the RG-32MN?
By the way, now that ICP incorporated your feed-back and made changes to the REVA FAV, are you buying more?

What are the modifications on our RG-32's by the way?

SF might buy but it'll be under some cloud of secrecy seeing that in our current economic situation defence purchaces are met negatively by the public

4 arty brigade gunners

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 11, 2018
ViceAdmirlAgain:

SF might buy but it'll be under some cloud of secrecy seeing that in our current economic situation defence purchaces are met with negatively by the public

4 arty brigade gunners

REVA FAV: Maybe swap the 5 you had for tests for the new variant?

RG-32MN: The "N" stands for Namibia to denote that it's a complete variant:
1) It underwent desertification and is apparently modular in that normal, tropical and desert configurations can be done on the fly;
2) 7 crew instead of the normal 5, which meant full armour for the entire vehicle;
3) Normal variants are protected against 7.62 ball and anti-personnel mines whereas yours is heavier as amour piercing and anti-tank mines were included.

Those are just the mods publicised by Denel. Even if I knew about the classified mods, wouldn't divulge. wink

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 11, 2018
saengine:
First female Rooivalk pilot in the SAAF. Is this not the same lady from those old-ish SANDF pics on the net, carrying a log on her back?

Dunked, feathered and a raw egg on the Proudly SA champers: the traditional welcome to the squadron!!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 11, 2018
patches689:

Yep, had to dig deep into my archives but she seems to be slightly "internet famous".

I got these picks like 5 years ago.

She has also aged much better than I have shocked

First pic was in 2010 when she got her wings. She went on to Helicopter Flying School, then Agustas, then Oryx, and now in 2018 Rooivalk.
2nd pic could be basics.

Well done Major Dempsey!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 11, 2018
patches689:

Americans are so used to having massive air-support that it is now instinctual for them to start marking targets to get hit by non-existant F-16's
Over-reliance on tech and its shortfalls. Read it and weep from our cousins in Blighty:
Radio Silence – A Lesson in Mission Command

Contributor: Will has 6 years of hands on infantry leadership experience
While practising radio silence on a recent exercise I realised just how reliant I had become on technology. It had made me lazy and more controlling than I would like to admit.

In Eastern Europe 2014 a column of Mechanised and Air Mobile forces from the Ukrainian Army was struck by a devastating rocket bombardment lasting only 3 minutes. The result was over 100 casualties and many vehicles destroyed. It initially seemed as if the column had been targeted with Electronic Warfare (EW) assets; a sensor that detects radio transmissions and sends the location back to the rocket battery for targeting. This is a worrying prospect for any military commander; that enemy artillery could home in on a radio transmission. This development leads us to adapt and overcome. An easy way to combat enemy EW capabilities would be to impose radio silence; an exercise often talked about, but rarely actually done. Up to now in my career I had never exercised radio silence and I found the concept of not being able to communicate with my subordinates during a task uncomfortable. So, on a recent exercise we gave the enemy forces EW and an artillery capability, forcing us to impose radio silence. What I learned was much more than how to combat EW and the technicalities of imposing radio silence, but a lesson in leadership, mission command and empowerment.

The first mission, anti-armour ambush, I briefed as I usually would with a clear intent and key timings, but also imposed radio silence. Overall the action went well and the task was performed to the same standard as it would be using radios throughout. However, the ambush was sprung on a lone enemy vehicle moving along the track. The team understood the intent: destroy enemy armour, and acted. However, a larger column came through later untouched. With radios, I would have said: ‘hold fire,’ on the lone vehicle. More detail in my brief covering all eventualities would have prevented this. Here I discovered that radios had made me lazy in my briefing because I knew I could control it well during the action.

So, for the next exercise I made sure I considered all eventualities and briefed the commanders applying more timings and constraints where necessary. When can you break radio silence? What should you do if you lose comms? What should you do if you get cut off? And if all else fails, destroy all enemy tanks and meet back at the rendezvous No Later Than 0230hrs. This time I witnessed several changes in the unit. I saw junior commanders making decisions, good decisions, without any direction from me. One of the teams missed their pick up and rather than speak on the radio trying to rearrange it they carried out their task on foot successfully. Other teams encountered difficulties during the mission but they knew the intent and end state and were able to complete their tasks without further direction for 36hrs of radio silence.

Overall it was a liberating exercise. It showed me that my subordinates are incredibly intelligent, capable soldiers who, when empowered, given a clear intent and detailed set of constraints can be released on task and will carry it out to a high standard without further direction. All I needed to do was trust them. It was also a relief for them not hearing me over the radio always asking for an update. Radio silence is the ultimate exercise in mission command and is tactically relevant. Try asking yourself: Am I enquiring because I need to or because I can?

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by obonomaa: 5:23am On Mar 12, 2018
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 12, 2018
ViceAdmirlAgain:

SF might buy but it'll be under some cloud of secrecy seeing that in our current economic situation defence purchaces are met negatively by the public

4 arty brigade gunners

Why is your Soldier putting on the Nigerian NYSC jungle boot ? grin grin

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:31pm On Mar 12, 2018
That particular variant of the PK is actually not a bad choice.
It features a air-cooled barrel which means you can run it much longer without getting out and doing a swap. Denel would do well to develop a water cooled barrel for the SS-77 for remote turrets and coax applications. The Germans are selling a 3 barreled MG42 that automatically swaps the barrel for this very reason.

frumentius:

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:06pm On Mar 12, 2018
interesting docu about the DSI algerian gendarms special force

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaE0ZgJBa3s

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:58pm On Mar 12, 2018
And because Tillerson and his people were coming to "Affrica", they decided safari outfits were appropriate grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 6:01pm On Mar 12, 2018
frumentius:
And because Tillerson and his people were coming to "Affrica", they decided safari outfits were appropriate grin grin grin.
What are you insinuating? grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 12, 2018
Xbee007:

What are you insinuating? grin grin

I thought I was fairly direct grin grin grin.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 12, 2018
It's a crappy chopper, but my god it's good looking.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:47pm On Mar 12, 2018
WARNING: Rant coming on

Looks like I might have another 3-month deployment in the DRC, when 5SAI rotates out in April. Fine.
And here comes the rant: if the UN won't pay for Rooivalk and our troops will be left at the mercy of air cover provided by ineffectual Hinds -the UN itself admits the Hind's shortcomings - then we should completely pull out. Everything; the 5 Oryx they want to retain and the Battalion group assigned to the FIB. After Bangui, politicians gave assurances that never again shall our troops deploy without effective air support.
The Brazilians forced the UN to accept Super Tucanos and BlackHawks for their coming deployment to CAR. The Dutch, Belgians and Germans refused to paint their choppers UN white in Mali.

Hell, personally I won't be affected by the decision to withdraw the Rooivalk. But how do I sit in Goma planning missions when I know at best 1 Hind will be available and only in daylight hours!

RANT OVER.

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Sizzorkay: 11:55pm On Mar 12, 2018
Wasn't his visit to that particular area was to highlight the importance of conserving Africa's wildlife population?
And to inspect some items donated just for that
Was he supposed to wear a suit? Lord

frumentius:

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Sizzorkay: 11:55pm On Mar 12, 2018
While you failed to mention that his visit to that particular area was to highlight the importance of conserving Africa's wildlife population?
And to inspect some items donated just for that? Some half baked comment you left there.
What he supposed to wear a suit? Lord

frumentius:

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:38am On Mar 13, 2018
Sizzorkay:
While you failed to mention that his visit to that particular area was to highlight the importance of conserving Africa's wildlife population?
And to inspect some items donated just for that? Some half baked comment you left there.
What he supposed to wear a suit? Lord

You can sod right off. The emoticons I chose weren't accidental.
Had I chosen to, I would've gone on about how this was a business meeting to discuss conservation. He's not on a fvcking safari and his Kenyan hosts are alive to the occasion.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Sizzorkay: 4:06am On Mar 13, 2018
Some of you on here do have anger issues, don't ya.
Whoever raised you did a poor job kid.
Not every comment should be taken as an insult or turn into an argument, learn to read what others wrote and respond with common sense, not childish stupidity.
That was the reason why i actually edited my initial comment, coz i knew some hot head might take it too seriously, i wasn't wrong.
Now you sod off.
Gnite boy
frumentius:

You can sod right off. The emoticons I chose weren't accidental.
Had I chosen to, I would've gone on about how this was a business meeting to discuss conservation. He's not on a fvcking safari and his Kenyan hosts are alive to the occasion.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 13, 2018
Bye bye Safari man.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 3:46pm On Mar 13, 2018
frumentius:
Bye bye Safari man.
Apparently, Putin has requested for a new staffing order.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:16pm On Mar 13, 2018
Xbee007:

Apparently, Putin has requested for a new staffing order.
grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 8:29pm On Mar 13, 2018
frumentius:
WARNING: Rant coming on

Looks like I might have another 3-month deployment in the DRC, when 5SAI rotates out in April. Fine.
And here comes the rant: if the UN won't pay for Rooivalk and our troops will be left at the mercy of air cover provided by ineffectual Hinds -the UN itself admits the Hind's shortcomings - then we should completely pull out. Everything; the 5 Oryx they want to retain and the Battalion group assigned to the FIB. After Bangui, politicians gave assurances that never again shall our troops deploy without effective air support.
The Brazilians forced the UN to accept Super Tucanos and BlackHawks for their coming deployment to CAR. The Dutch, Belgians and Germans refused to paint their choppers UN white in Mali.

Hell, personally I won't be affected by the decision to withdraw the Rooivalk. But how do I sit in Goma planning missions when I know at best 1 Hind will be available and only in daylight hours!

RANT OVER.

Why not fund the operational costs of the Rooivalk yourself?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by obonomaa: 9:20pm On Mar 13, 2018

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:35am On Mar 14, 2018
Its so discouraging and disgusting what this thread is turning into....it "WAS" once a picture only thread with discussions on the minimal but now i have to go through three pages of childish arguements just to see a picture its really disheartening
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:49am On Mar 14, 2018
tdayof:

Why not fund the operational costs of the Rooivalk yourself?
We fund everything and then get reimbursed at the end of the year, depending on whether all UN conditions were met, like 90% operational availability etc.

The problem is that some accountant sitting in UN HQ in New York decided there was no operational need for Rooivalk and Hinds were sufficient. If we retain them, no reimbursement. They were asking such ridiculous questions like why must they always fly in pairs, when all the countries flying Hinds are happy to send out only 1 on missions. It's SAAF attack heli doctrine, we said. Adapt the doctrine and it'll be cheaper was the reply.
MONUSCO won't have a heli night attack capability, we said. Monusco must adapt came the answer.

Savings in money are paid for with soldiers' lives.
Apparently the military professionals at the UN DPKO are pushing back, as are some of the troop-contributing countries like India who withdrew their Hinds when Rooivalks were slotted in.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 9:51am On Mar 14, 2018
frumentius:

We fund everything and then get reimbursed at the end of the year, depending on whether all UN conditions were met, like 90% operational availability etc.

The problem is that some accountant sitting in UN HQ in New York decided there was no operational need for Rooivalk and Hinds were sufficient. If we retain them, no reimbursement. They were asking such ridiculous questions like why must they always fly in pairs, when all the countries flying Hinds are happy to send out only 1 on missions. It's SAAF attack heli doctrine, we said. Adapt the doctrine and it'll be cheaper was the reply.
MONUSCO won't have a heli night attack capability, we said. Monusco must adapt came the answer.

Savings in money are paid for with soldiers' lives.
Apparently the military professionals at the UN DPKO are pushing back, as are some of the troop-contributing countries like India who withdrew their Hinds when Rooivalks were slotted in.

but why do your Rooivalk travel in pairs??
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 11:59am On Mar 14, 2018
Doing nothing has always been the best course of action…. But history was not made by those who did nothing - British monarchy

[img]https://3.bp..com/-HD9X4vUa-3w/WqVqBNUDr4I/AAAAAAAABs0/adrHP84dutcQfaDoLZUHe6XDz1c_r7y-ACLcBGAs/s1600/civilian%2Bjoint%2Btask%2Bforce.jpg[/img]

The names in this article have been changed for security reasons.

The Scourge of Boko Haram Terrorism

Since its inception, Boko Haram has killed about 20,000 people and displaced 2.7 million, causing the region to be in the brink of economic collapse.

Experts say if efforts are not made to curtail this menace, 1.4 million more people might end up in famine since all forms of agriculture practices have all but ceased in the region.

In 2015, Boko Haram fighters were estimated by Amnesty International to have 15,000 members while the Chadian government claimed the group has up to 20,000 members. Since 2009, the group has been led by Abubakar Shekau after taken over from Mohammed Yusuf who was killed in the Nigerian police custody.

Boko Haram was ranked by Global Terrorism Index as the world’s deadliest terror group. The group have carried out all sorts of atrocities including mass abduction, summary execution, suicide bombings and kidnappings. BHT is known to use child soldiers as young as seven years old for suicide bombings, most of them are females.

[img]https://2.bp..com/-46UvuF7wn-A/WqjNdF6gNOI/AAAAAAAABvI/Zz-Q0DiE-RIP-37611U5MtjvwOEpfxpiACLcBGAs/s1600/images%2B%25283%2529%257E2.jpg[/img]

Defense of the Homeland (Frontlines)
Following the devastating onslaught of Boko Haram Terrorists (BHT) and the inability of the Nigerian Military Forces to fully curtail the rampage, young men from affected communities rose up to protect their villages.

These scantily armed vigilantes have been instrumental in checkmating the rampage of BHT. They man checkpoints and guard sensitive areas like mosques, churches and gathering centres.

Even though the CJTF received little or no training or logistical support from the Nigerian authorities, however it has continued its fight against the deadly Boko Haram group – acting as a solid bulwark between certain destruction and fragile peace.

The rank and file of the vigilantes are young men and women drawn up from the cities, villages and communities ravaged by violent extremism. They move in batches to the forefront of the battle leading security forces to suspected Boko Haram enclaves.

Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF)

“This is my country! Maiduguri is my homeland; I fight for my people and my freedom”.

The Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) A.K.A Vigilantes is a militia group made up of civilians in Northern Nigeria to help push back Boko Haram fighters. The group is armed with basic weapons; women are also known to be among the fighters which enrage Boko Haram which preaches against women participation in men’s affairs.

The CJTF ranks have risen over the years to an army of 26,000, concentrated in Bornu state which is the epicenter of the counter-insurgency efforts.

Why the CJTF is so effective is primarily because it members knows the surroundings at the back of their hands. They know the radicalized individuals, the Boko Haram suspects, their sponsors and the regular innocent bystander.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-ESylVswgtBk/WqjP0q0loWI/AAAAAAAABvo/qJRXIr_JOtIYPx1EPy4_nAtngxL4EE5oQCLcBGAs/s1600/images.jpeg[/img]

The need for a vigilante group came as a result of the urgency to defend their host communities when the Nigerian troops fled the front-lines (a common occurrence). The CJTF are fighting side by side with the Nigerian Army, they usually take casualties and has since lost more than 600 of its members often to suicide bombers.

Even though less than 2,000 of its members receive salary - a paltry sum of just about N1,800 naira per month, they still fight bravely. For instance, in 2014 their efforts prevented the fall of Maiduguri when Boko Haram charged on the city. Maiduguri is home to more than 2 million people.

Human Right Abuses of the CJTF

Despite the CJTF’s efforts in curbing BHT, there still exist distrust between them and the Nigerian Military. The obvious reason being that there might exist saboteurs and “fifth columnist” between the vigilante’s ranks.
[img]https://4.bp..com/-LJxl-SK5hok/WqVqYrZuP1I/AAAAAAAABs4/DvriiSCt5rUNS5WMff1Y263js2UGrChmQCLcBGAs/s320/cjtf_sticks.jpg[/img]

Even though they (CJTF) see their selves as the real defenders of the communities and villages, they have been accused by Amnesty International of various human right abuses which includes mass murder, diverting resources meant for the displaced, sexual violence in IDP camps and beatings.

A video released by AI in 2014 show them and the Army slaughtering men beside a mass grave. The CJTF is known to use child soldiers, a violation of the Geneva’s Laws of War and a war crime. Same crime being committed by Boko Haram.

Just recently, The UN Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict (UNICEF) welcomed the signing by the CJTF in ending its use of children as soldiers.

[img]https://2.bp..com/--zdd2F_s5Kw/WqVqyYNiS7I/AAAAAAAABtE/zwb7n2dLMosKJdSl2bxdATp26uP_qO2lACLcBGAs/s320/nigerian%2Barmy.jpg[/img]
Nigerian Army troop in pursuit of Boko Haram terrorist

After Boko Haram what next?
As the crises in the Northeastern Nigeria winds down, former vigilante members and CJTF fighters are going back to their former lives. A large percentage of CJTF members were either unemployed, small time traders or in poverty before joining the vigilante group. Unemployment is one of the reasons Boko Haram began in the first place.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-xT1anVMc-5Y/WqVqmRm-dpI/AAAAAAAABtA/3wFk10yjNcck6uHpegM3rJUKnQ7Z31LnwCLcBGAs/s320/civilian%2Bjoint%2Btask%2Bforce%2B%25282%2529.jpg[/img]

Mallam Yusufu a seasoned fighter noted that “The state government has a lot of responsibility and can’t do it alone. Engagement should begin now because knowing Nigeria once the war ends we’ll all be forgotten.”

READ ALL HERE>>> https://www.africanmilitaryblog.com/2018/03/Civilian-joint-task-force-cjtf.html

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2018
rawswag:
Its so discouraging and disgusting what this thread is turning into....it "WAS" once a picture only thread with discussions on the minimal but now i have to go through three pages of childish arguements just to see a picture its really disheartening

I might be wrong, but I've never seen you post a single picture. Why don't you also post to make it less disgusting? Threads like this are almost impossible to keep as pictures only, and discussions are bound to happen. But yes, there are many completely off topic chats that creep in...like arguing about steel production undecided.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1614) (1615) (1616) (1617) (1618) (1619) (1620) ... (2841) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.