Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,078 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1872) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5992688 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1869) (1870) (1871) (1872) (1873) (1874) (1875) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:04am On Jun 10, 2019
DaV8King:

Standard practice in most countries.

Only few, if any countries have 100% pure airbases.

Even the almighty USA has a number of airports that serve dual role as AFBs.

Not true!

These are South African Air force bases and are strictly for Military use only....

AFB Langebaanweg
AFB Waterkloof
AFB Bloemspruit
AFB Durban
AFB Hoedspruit
AFB Makhado
AFB Overberg
AFB Swartkop
AFB Port Elizabeth
AFB Ysterplaat

....Even Nigeria has Air Force bases that are strictly for military use, Air forces only use civilian Air ports in certain/limited instances.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 10:06am On Jun 10, 2019
Slightly O/T but since we're talking army aviation:
Last week, Philippine Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana confirmed that the country would likely be moving towards the purchase of Sikorsky S-70 Black Hawk helicopters to fulfill its need of combat utility helicopters. The announcement bears watching within the perspective of Philippine military modernization and the country’s alignments more generally
https://thediplomat.com/2018/12/whats-in-the-philippines-new-black-hawk-combat-helicopter-deal/

They're also buying gunships-sorry,Saffas,its not the excellent Rooivalk but the new Turk ATAK.

Last week, Philippines Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana announced that the P[b]hilippine Air Force had chosen the ATAK T129, adding that their budget could afford eight to 10 units.[/b]

Developed by TAI, the ATAK is a new generation, tandem, two-seat, twin-engine helicopter specifically designed for attack and reconnaissance.

Developed from the combat-proven AgustaWestland A129CBT, the new aircraft incorporates a new system philosophy with a new engine - the LHTEC CTS 800-4A - new avionics, sight systems and weapons, a modified airframe, an uprated drive train and a new tail rotor.
[url][https://www.dailysabah.com/defense/2018/12/22/philippines-seeks-to-receive-first-atak-helicopter-next-year/url]

Good to see they're arming up! Globally,they're infamously undergunned short of all combat platforms.

EDIT: Just seen they're going to the PhAF which makes no sense to me. Ideally they'd be army for organic lift and tacair,hmmmmm.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by DaV8King(m): 10:41am On Jun 10, 2019
jln115:

Not true!

These are South African Air force bases and are strictly for Military use only....

AFB Langebaanweg
AFB Waterkloof
AFB Bloemspruit
AFB Durban
AFB Hoedspruit
AFB Makhado
AFB Overberg
AFB Swartkop
AFB Port Elizabeth
AFB Ysterplaat

....Even Nigeria has Air Force bases that are strictly for military use, Air forces only use civilian Air ports in certain/limited instances.

Maybe you misunderstood me, but my point is no country has military AFBs only all the way.

A few must always co-locate with civilian facilities

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 10, 2019
DaV8King:

Maybe you misunderstood me, but my point is no country has military AFBs only all the way.

A few must always co-locate with civilian facilities
Don't understand what your saying? Why would they need to co-locate with civilian facilities, if they have their own?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by DaV8King(m): 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2019
jln115:
Don't understand what your saying? Why would they need to co-locate with civilian facilities, if they have their own?

Example of what I mean.

Nigeria has Makurdi, Lagos and Abuja AFBs in the civil airports in those cities.

Kainji is a pure AFB, military only.

Basically, governments usually find it cheaper to co-locate especially in bigger cities.

Hope I am clear now.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fabselad(m): 2:29pm On Jun 10, 2019
kikuyu1:

The types of wars we fight in Africa,frankly encourage this kind of behaviour. An enemy without uniform who hides behind civvies,commits atrocities on wounded and army POWs indirectly instigates this crime. In the 1960s Shifta war officers were handed cyanide pills and warned never to be taken alive-the men were ordered if everything turns to ishyt to save 2 rounds for themselves in case one fails and "go to their God like a Soldier." Idk if anything happened to the army unit,though its not an excuse!
It shows a top down break in command and discipline-dumb niggas actually filmed it! Clearly,the Cameroonian army ethos needs drastic change. I rmbr recently we saw a vid of the 'elite' BIR burning the bodies of dead Ambazonians,presumably after execution. If that's how an 'elite' unit acts what about the ordinary units?

Your Totally right such war brings out the bad even in elite units.But i think much has been done by the top brass such wont repeat it's self.But more needs to be done to again the sympathy of the population cause in guerillar warfare if you don't have support for the population you have lost the war.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2019
Apparently Nigeria bought 5 CH-3A UCAV from China

Algeria also bought 5 CH-3A and 4 CH-4s

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jun 10, 2019
SAAF

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2019
Nigerian army General Purpose Machine Guns and Recoilless guns pictured.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 10, 2019
Henry240:
Off-Topic

JF-17 armed with PL-10 (SD-10) and PL-5E-II AAMs and an ECM-pod.

Sweet Fighter bro!!
OK guys, let's read up on the state of the art ECM pod currently been used by Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunders.

The more I read up on this capability, the more I fall in love with the JF-17. It really is a very capable fighter jet.

https://www.indracompany.com/sites/default/files/indra_alq_500p_v_1017_ing_b_1.pdf

The JF-17 can use both Chinese, Russian and Western systems. Serious advantages.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 7:07pm On Jun 10, 2019
Henry240:

OK guys, let's read up on the state of the art ECM pod currently been used by Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunders.

The more I read up on this capability, the more I fall in love with the JF-17. It really is a very capable fighter jet.

https://www.indracompany.com/sites/default/files/indra_alq_500p_v_1017_ing_b_1.pdf

The JF-17 can use both Chinese, Russian and Western systems. Serious advantages.

Not only you bro.
Cost effective, maintenance cost, it can use Chinese, Western or European munitions. What else do you want ... cheesy
My prayer is that it comes with a targetting pod: this will increase its capabilities .
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 7:08pm On Jun 10, 2019
Offtopic: copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UHWJf0Gk0#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DfkrYJdgAo#menu

The first mock air combats took place when 510th Fighter Squadron (FS) “Buzzards” belonging to the 31st Fighter Wing (FW) from Aviano Air Base in northern Italy, flew against Luftwaffe Jagdgeschwader 73 (JG 73) MiG-29s in May 1995 during a German Fulcrum deployment to Decimomannu Air Base, on the southern tip of Sardinia

As told by Capt. Mike McCoy one of the 510th FS F-16 pilots that flew against JG 73 MiG-29s

“In a low-speed fight, fighting the Fulcrum is similar to fighting an F-18 Hornet, but the Fulcrum has a thrust advantage over the Hornet.

An F-18 can really crank its nose around if you get into a slow-speed fight, but it has to lose altitude to regain the energy, which allows us to get on top of them.

The MiG has about the same nose authority at slow speeds, but it can regain energy much faster.

Plus the MiG pilots have that forty five-degree cone in front of them into which they can fire an Archer and eat you up

“Some of their capabilities were more wicked than we originally thought, we had to respect the helmet-mounted sight, which made our decisions to anchor more difficult.

How F-16 should go against Mig-29 in combat

Below 200 knots, the MiG-29 has incredible nose-pointing capability down to below 100 knots.

The F-16, however, enjoys an advantage in the 200 knot-plus regime.

At higher speeds, we can power above them to go to the vertical. And our turn rate is significantly better.

By being patient and by keeping airspeed up around 325 knots, an F-16 can bring the MiG-29 to its nose. But the pilot must still be careful of the across-the-circle shot with that helmet-mounted display.”

Limitations of the MiG-29

“Their visibility is not that good, their disadvantage is a real advantage for us. F-16 pilots sit high in the cockpit.

All the MiG-29 pilots who sat in our cockpit wanted to look around with the canopy closed.

They were impressed that they could turn around and look at the tail and even see the engine can.

Besides visibility, I expected better turning performance, the MiG-29 is not a continuous nine-g machine like the F-16.”

Other limitations were experienced when the centerline fuel tank was carried by aircraft

such as the inability of the fighter to fly supersonic with the tank attached, an operational scenario that also limited the MiG-29 to four g’s when the tank had fuel remaining.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 7:13pm On Jun 10, 2019
CSIR high speed wind tunnel.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 7:44pm On Jun 10, 2019
jteku:
Offtopic: copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UHWJf0Gk0#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DfkrYJdgAo#menu

The first mock air combats took place when 510th Fighter Squadron (FS) “Buzzards” belonging to the 31st Fighter Wing (FW) from Aviano Air Base in northern Italy, flew against Luftwaffe Jagdgeschwader 73 (JG 73) MiG-29s in May 1995 during a German Fulcrum deployment to Decimomannu Air Base, on the southern tip of Sardinia

As told by Capt. Mike McCoy one of the 510th FS F-16 pilots that flew against JG 73 MiG-29s

“In a low-speed fight, fighting the Fulcrum is similar to fighting an F-18 Hornet, but the Fulcrum has a thrust advantage over the Hornet.

An F-18 can really crank its nose around if you get into a slow-speed fight, but it has to lose altitude to regain the energy, which allows us to get on top of them.

The MiG has about the same nose authority at slow speeds, but it can regain energy much faster.

Plus the MiG pilots have that forty five-degree cone in front of them into which they can fire an Archer and eat you up

“Some of their capabilities were more wicked than we originally thought, we had to respect the helmet-mounted sight, which made our decisions to anchor more difficult.

How F-16 should go against Mig-29 in combat

Below 200 knots, the MiG-29 has incredible nose-pointing capability down to below 100 knots.

The F-16, however, enjoys an advantage in the 200 knot-plus regime.

At higher speeds, we can power above them to go to the vertical. And our turn rate is significantly better.

By being patient and by keeping airspeed up around 325 knots, an F-16 can bring the MiG-29 to its nose. But the pilot must still be careful of the across-the-circle shot with that helmet-mounted display.”

Limitations of the MiG-29

“Their visibility is not that good, their disadvantage is a real advantage for us. F-16 pilots sit high in the cockpit.

All the MiG-29 pilots who sat in our cockpit wanted to look around with the canopy closed.

They were impressed that they could turn around and look at the tail and even see the engine can.

Besides visibility, I expected better turning performance, the MiG-29 is not a continuous nine-g machine like the F-16.”

Other limitations were experienced when the centerline fuel tank was carried by aircraft

such as the inability of the fighter to fly supersonic with the tank attached, an operational scenario that also limited the MiG-29 to four g’s when the tank had fuel remaining.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-16-vs-mig-29-when-the-mighty-viper-dogfighted-with-the-fulcrum-for-the-first-time/
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 10, 2019
DaV8King:

Example of what I mean.

Nigeria has Makurdi, Lagos and Abuja AFBs in the civil airports in those cities.

Basically, governments usually find it cheaper to co-locate especially in bigger cities.

Hope I am clear now.
Maybe its like this in Nigeria but in the majority of the world, Air Force bases are not Co-located with civilian Air ports.....certainly not in South Africa....and certainly not the vast majority of countries in the world as you stated!!

P.S Not a single squadron in the entire SAAF is located at a civilian Airport......Literally not a single one

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 9:31pm On Jun 10, 2019
bidexiii:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/f-16-vs-mig-29-when-the-mighty-viper-dogfighted-with-the-fulcrum-for-the-first-time/

hope dey don't get dere hands on mig 35 or Su 57 .cos dey are good in rubbishing peoples hard work.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 10, 2019
This has to be one of the best airstrike video I have seen ever. The accuracy of the strike is sweet.

Nigerian Air Force

https://twitter.com/NigAirForce/status/1138157301909590016?s=20

NAF AIRCRAFT OBLITERATES TACTICAL COMMAND CENTRE, NEUTRALIZES SEVERAL TERRORISTS AT ALAFA IN BORNO STATE

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jun 10, 2019
bidexiii:

Not only you bro.
Cost effective, maintenance cost, it can use Chinese, Western or European munitions. What else do you want ... cheesy
My prayer is that it comes with a targetting pod: this will increase its capabilities .
I can't wait.

See what the Air Force is doing with old school Alpha Jets, then imagine what we can do with a modern fighter like the JF-17.

Aselpod is currently one of the world's best targeting pods. Most of us saw it been used in Syria with extreme prejudice.

ECM pods can be used to jam enemy radios and communication while bombing operations is been carried out.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2019
Nigerian army Amour

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 10:50pm On Jun 10, 2019
Re-watching this Abu Hajjar video really cracked me up. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:17pm On Jun 10, 2019
Henry240:

This is how life should be!

I also have a secret respect for Indra (Spanish company IIRC)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 3:02am On Jun 11, 2019
A Nigerian Navy Rear Admiral & NN Naval Aviators Landing On The German Warship FGS Bonn.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 3:11am On Jun 11, 2019
NN SBS Special Warfare Operator

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 5:21am On Jun 11, 2019
Henry240:

I can't wait.

See what the Air Force is doing with old school Alpha Jets, then imagine what we can do with a modern fighter like the JF-17.

Aselpod is currently one of the world's best targeting pods. Most of us saw it been used in Syria with extreme prejudice.

ECM pods can be used to jam enemy radios and communication while bombing operations is been carried out.
i pray it's the block 3 Lord I pray

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 5:23am On Jun 11, 2019
Henry240:
This has to be one of the best airstrike video I have seen ever. The accuracy of the strike is sweet.

Nigerian Air Force

https://twitter.com/NigAirForce/status/1138157301909590016?s=20

NAF AIRCRAFT OBLITERATES TACTICAL COMMAND CENTRE, NEUTRALIZES SEVERAL TERRORISTS AT ALAFA IN BORNO STATE
carrying out precision airstrike with unguided munitions makes NAF pilots one of the best and most dangerous in the world

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 6:36am On Jun 11, 2019
DaV8King:

Example of what I mean.

Hope I am clear now.
actually kainji is not d only pure AFB. Home of the agressors in yola is a pure AFB,SOF portharcourt is a pure AFB.we do have more than one AFB in a state some in civilian airports.just like in warri here where I live
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 7:29am On Jun 11, 2019
Tunisian air force Uh-60 blackhawk

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 7:32am On Jun 11, 2019

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 7:36am On Jun 11, 2019

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 7:38am On Jun 11, 2019

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fachfouch: 7:40am On Jun 11, 2019

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1869) (1870) (1871) (1872) (1873) (1874) (1875) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.