Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,042 members, 7,859,737 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 05:48 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1898) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6027231 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1895) (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) (1901) ... (2853) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 16, 2019
SuperSixSeven:

I read very often SF buy this vehicles (and spares) from local dealers to minimise logistics, you just leave them behind after the mission. Even UK and even US Special Operators rely on Toyotas as you can see in Syria and elsewhere. And another reason could be that you can blend better with locals. I also saw ACMAT Bastion in the video.

I agree with your comment on the ease of parts sourcing being a reason for the pivot towards Land cruisers. They also perform much, much better in harsh conditions.

The video is actually nice. I find it quite unsettling though, Western special forces, UAVs and fighter jets have completely surrounded Nigeria.

Look at Niger?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by edon21: 8:59am On Jul 17, 2019
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by slimthugchimee(m): 9:27am On Jul 17, 2019
edon21:
I asked you guys if you don't have artists lol
https://www.nairaland.com/5305558/victoria-kimani-reacts-exclusion-kenyans

Why is this here?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 17, 2019
Senegalese troops in Mali

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MiddleDimension: 2:17pm On Jul 17, 2019
and Algerian kids can be so funny.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 2:22pm On Jul 17, 2019
The evolution of French tactics in that area has been quite interesting to observe.
Aside from SF, using gun trucks also splits your squad in to 2 or 3 vehicles as opposed to a single VBCI.
Gives you much more flexibility for patrolling large areas.

Vehicle tracks are a major source of intel for both sides in any COIN operation. For the insurgents who don't have air assets it can be their only source in low population areas like Niger.
The differences in thread pattern isn't such a major issue. In real soft sand it either doesn't show up that much or goes away after a day or 2.
A simple tactic would be to have a local force vehicle with the standard wheels bring up the rear to wipe foreign tracks. We often had a rear echelon vehicle drag a tree to hide tracks. Sometimes this was used to make a lone vehicle look like a convoy from afar.
For long runs they'll drive in single file anyway. Good idea if you don't want to give away your vehicle count.

However, you cant hide your wheelbase.
We had wheelbase dimensions included in our vehicle silhouette charts for all comblock and own vehicles. For example, if you came across a BRDM track near you on patrol it would be a good idea to brake camp Lickety-split !

Henry240:

This is not exactly true in this case.

The French army dumped their fancy special forces vehicles because of 2 things, Performance & Cost.

You see that region, from lake chad up towards Niger, Mali, Chad, Algeria and Libya is extremely harsh. Dry, hot and Arid.

Vehicles go there to die, literally. grin grin grin

Only the Land cruiser can survive very well that tough terrain. The French in 2013 had all their fancy Panhad Special Forces Vehicles, however I think they came to the realization you don't bring a dog to a wolf fight.

Not even the Toyota Hilux can do well there.

On the wheels of the vehicles, French Landcruisers use military grade tyres. They are not the same as what you see on the other land cruisers used by their partners.

On operating off-road, that's Niger man. The entire country is literally off-road. grin grin

Except in Naimey the capital, there are no roads.

You know the Dakar rally used to pass through large parts of Niger back when it was hosted in Africa?

As can be seen in that short docu, and some of the recent photo ops from Niger, French SF now conduct long range patrols in hordes of vehicles. It's fascinating.

Not so much of isolated units, at least from what we can see in docus and photos released in the past months.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:32pm On Jul 17, 2019
Toju200:
Abi......nearly all soft skin vehicles should be replaced with these cos it's cheap and capable..... this is world class the most beautiful and unstoppable MRAP.....maraduer is no where near this beautiful beast

Are you quite sure? Here's a 3kg bomb test under the Marauder axle at 7 mn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 4:34pm On Jul 17, 2019
Someone posted this : I had a discussion with an Army officer posted to the North East

The young officer is tasked with protecting this nation from Boko Haram, he and his men could pay the ultimate price, this is why what he told me was important.

Somethings said I knew, others I did not, let me itemize what he told me

1. The Nigerian Army has no overall strategy to defeat Boko Haram He said there is no clear plan, just reactions.

2. The Chief of Army staff deployed lots of hardware to protect his village Brutai, this deployment is similar to Maiduguri. The strategy seems to be to counter and hold Boko Haram

3. The Chadian Army are better managers of equipment. He said the Chadian military has far older weapons but that they ensure everything is working. The task force they sent over is 100% mobile, but the Nigerian Army struggles to maintain Hilux Pickups talkless of modern tanks.

He said the Chadians were suprised at the poor state of our army, that they doubted our ability to defeat Boko Haram, the said Chadians dont run from battle when Boko Haram attacks but that the Nigerians do.

4. The bulk of Boko Haram Haram weapons are captured from the Nigerian Army. He said the NA will declare trucks or Artillery as unservicable but Boko Haram will capture same assets and get then to work.

5. There are sufficient arms delivered to the NA. He said before he got to his post he read about "lack of arms" but found out that was not true....the army had lots of arms but did not know how to maintain or deploy them

6. There is zero air cover. I asked him about the attack helicopters, he said they were grounded. He said Nigerian Army preferred the Niger Airforce (not Nigerian) and Chadian Airforce to conduct close strike Air to Surface operations because the have better and dedicated ground attack planes like the Sukhoi flown by Eastern Europeans.

7. He said the recruits coming out of training to join the Nigerian Army are sub par training and standards have really fallen.

8. Many Forward Operations Bases have been overan by Boko Haram. The Nigerian Army has been forced to destroy their own equipment as they flee, including our modern T72 tanks

9. He says money or even equipment is not the problem, he says there is no leadership of purpose and that many military men are "breaking protocol" just to survive

I think we get the picture. I am just posting this with the hope that something good will come out of this.

Boko Haram has exposed Nigeria.

Please pray for all our soldiers fighting Boko

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kenpaul0: 4:40pm On Jul 17, 2019
No this from Dpn Klericuzo....GRAPHIC IMAGE: #ISIS terror affiliate in West Africa, Wilayat Gharb Ifriqiyā #ISWAP publishes Photo reel of it's recent raid on a Nigerian forces position in Northern Borno Nigeria. Showing looted weapons and ammunition including a man portable recoilless gun
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 6:02pm On Jul 17, 2019
kenpaul0:
Someone posted this : I had a discussion with an Army officer posted to the North East

The young officer is tasked with protecting this nation from Boko Haram, he and his men could pay the ultimate price, this is why what he told me was important.

1. The Nigerian Army has no overall strategy to defeat Boko Haram He said there is no clear plan, just reactions.

2. The Chief of Army staff deployed lots of hardware to protect his village Brutai, this deployment is similar to Maiduguri. The strategy seems to be to counter and hold Boko Haram

3. The Chadian Army are better managers of equipment. He said the Chadian military has far older weapons but that they ensure everything is working. The task force they sent over is 100% mobile, but the Nigerian Army struggles to maintain Hilux Pickups talkless of modern tanks.

He said the Chadians were suprised at the poor state of our army, that they doubted our ability to defeat Boko Haram, the said Chadians dont run from battle when Boko Haram attacks but that the Nigerians do.

4. The bulk of Boko Haram Haram weapons are captured from the Nigerian Army. He said the NA will declare trucks or Artillery as unservicable but Boko Haram will capture same assets and get then to work.

5. There are sufficient arms delivered to the NA. He said before he got to his post he read about "lack of arms" but found out that was not true....the army had lots of arms but did not know how to maintain or deploy them

6. There is zero air cover. I asked him about the attack helicopters, he said they were grounded. He said Nigerian Army preferred the Niger Airforce (not Nigerian) and Chadian Airforce to conduct close strike Air to Surface operations because the have better and dedicated ground attack planes like the Sukhoi flown by Eastern Europeans.

7. He said the recruits coming out of training to join the Nigerian Army are sub par training and standards have really fallen.

8. Many Forward Operations Bases have been overan by Boko Haram. The Nigerian Army has been forced to destroy their own equipment as they flee, including our modern T72 tanks

9. He says money or even equipment is not the problem, he says there is no leadership of purpose and that many military men are "breaking protocol" just to survive

I think we get the picture. I am just posting this with the hope that something good will come out of this.

Despite all this how come we still record some success....you have a point there though.... Our boys really need our prayers they are fathers to children and they are brothers to others they are humans like us.....God plssss help them
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 6:08pm On Jul 17, 2019
kenpaul0:

and also they officer said our attack helicopters are grounded which is not true and secondly our air Force is possibly the most active and battle hardened Force in this counter insurgency operation....we go as far as carrying out airstrike outside our airspace don't forget the lives of the MI35 crew that was laid down during close air support in damasak and also the close air support given to troops during an attack on MNJTF base....the air Force most times has to deploy our Alpha jet for night ops...we have gone as far as deploying jets in niger so they are closer to our troops.....

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 17, 2019
kikuyu1:

Are you quite sure? Here's a 3kg bomb test under the Marauder axle at 7 mn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic
I don't think he meant in terms of capability....but rather in terms of aesthetics.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:29pm On Jul 17, 2019
grin These journalist and "random young officers" as if it gives credence to their articles.

That said, there's nothing that's unbeknownst to any one on this thread.
I expect the Chadians to have a high materiel readiness considering their streamlined supply (From France). Our bane from time immemorial is paltry & sporadic buying (God forbid I call of diversification of supplier) which makes it herculean for Logistics. I wish we'd do better, Buratai started well in office in trying to revamp our vehicles.

Neither can I understand who grounded our AH (Maybe the "journalist" did) or what sukhoi NA calls for. The same Frogfoots that only get used(sparingly) in major MNJTF offensive only or which one again.

Anyway, the chain of command (down to the political class) deserves no exoneration. Quite clueless set of beings
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Covert1: 6:57pm On Jul 17, 2019
kenpaul0:

Disinformation. Rubbish. Discard.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 7:15pm On Jul 17, 2019
kenpaul0:

Prayers won't stop our problems.
The army leadership needs to fight the terrorists as if they were an invading country trying to kill our people, loot our resources and take over the land.
We need to have a time frame that this war must last otherwise it will never end...

Unfortunately, with the senile mitch we currently have in Aso Rock nothing is going to change. He is not even pressuring the army leadership to deliver because HE KNOWS NOTHING!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 17, 2019
61mech:
The evolution of French tactics in that area has been quite interesting to observe.
Aside from SF, using gun trucks also splits your squad in to 2 or 3 vehicles as opposed to a single VBCI.
Gives you much more flexibility for patrolling large areas.

Vehicle tracks are a major source of intel for both sides in any COIN operation. For the insurgents who don't have air assets it can be their only source in low population areas like Niger.
The differences in thread pattern isn't such a major issue. In real soft sand it either doesn't show up that much or goes away after a day or 2.
A simple tactic would be to have a local force vehicle with the standard wheels bring up the rear to wipe foreign tracks. We often had a rear echelon vehicle drag a tree to hide tracks. Sometimes this was used to make a lone vehicle look like a convoy from afar.
For long runs they'll drive in single file anyway. Good idea if you don't want to give away your vehicle count.

However, you cant hide your wheelbase.
We had wheelbase dimensions included in our vehicle silhouette charts for all comblock and own vehicles. For example, if you came across a BRDM track near you on patrol it would be a good idea to brake camp Lickety-split !

I think the French adapted from the events in Tongo-Tongo with the American special forces.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 17, 2019
Toju200:
and also they officer said our attack helicopters are grounded which is not true and secondly our air Force is possibly the most active and battle hardened Force in this counter insurgency operation....we go as far as carrying out airstrike outside our airspace don't forget the lives of the MI35 crew that was laid down during close air support in damasak and also the close air support given to troops during an attack on MNJTF base....the air Force most times has to deploy our Alpha jet for night ops...we have gone as far as deploying jets in niger so they are closer to our troops.....

The Nigerian Air Force regularly carries out Air Ops from Diffa in Niger Republic.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2019
Henry240:

The Nigerian Air Force regularly carries out Air Ops for Diffa in Niger Republic.
the guy that made up dat story eehhh.... Needs check up all what he is saying he can't defend it...just so annoying

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 17, 2019
Mali received 29 Casspirs MRAPs, donations from Germany.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 7:58pm On Jul 17, 2019
Toju200:
the guy that made up dat story eehhh.... Needs check up all what he is saying he can't defend it...just so annoying
The guy is on a fishing expeditions in recent weeks bh has suffered horriffic unsustainable losses hence they are lying low .
I would not bee surprised if this is a closet informant for bh
I am not going to give him any information he does not know
NIGER AND CHAD between the two of them have barely two serviceable HELICOPTERS
NIGERIA/ FRANCE / US provide AIR COVER for NIGER
The NAF provides air cover for our troops in close up battle support operations
The NAF was the difference in the BATTLE OF AON ( The video Is there)
The NA MAINTAINS their hilux trucks and TANKS not that there is much to maintain anyway change the engine oil / tires and brakes you can train a MONKEY to do that
BH do not maintain their captured equipment recent captured equipment attests to that.
People should not give credence to this troll/ closet symapthizer

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 8:17pm On Jul 17, 2019
LTGEN:

The guy is on a fishing expeditions in recent weeks bh has suffered horriffic unsustainable losses hence they are lying low .
I would not bee surprised if this is a closet informant for bh
I am not going to give him any information he does not know
NIGER AND CHAD between the two of them have barely two serviceable HELICOPTERS
NIGERIA/ FRANCE / US provide AIR COVER for NIGER
The NAF provides air cover for our troops in close up battle support operations
The NAF was the difference in the BATTLE OF AON ( The video Is there)
The NA MAINTAINS their hilux trucks and TANKS not that there is much to maintain anyway change the engine oil / tires and brakes you can train a MONKEY to do that
BH do not maintain their captured equipment recent captured equipment attests to that.
People should not give credence to this troll/ closet symapthizer
well said I mean the level, standard and quality of airstrike that NAF carry out can be compared to that of the USA and Russia in Syria and Iraq against ISIS

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Salatavor: 7:29am On Jul 18, 2019
Toju200:
you saw all these happen or you read it on the news? What this man has said are very serious and should be closely looked into. Stop throwing around words like " our airforce is best in this", most active this, battle hardened that. People are dying and boko haram remains a fighting force and there is a reason why that is happening. Battle hardened my dirty left Gregorian foot.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 7:47am On Jul 18, 2019
The NAF carries out on a daily basis.
Close Air Support
ISR
Medevac.
@$!# Missions
In addition the NAF conducts bombing runs and hot pursuit in Niger.
These are the facts.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 7:59am On Jul 18, 2019
Salatavor:
you saw all these happen or you read it on the news? What this man has said are very serious and should be closely looked into. Stop throwing around words like " our airforce is best in this", most active this, battle hardened that. People are dying and boko haram remains a fighting force and there is a reason why that is happening. Battle hardened my dirty left Gregorian foot.
if our forces ain't doing nothing by now the whole of north would be under terror rule and cgad,Niger and Cameroon would be experiencing the heat too...... Do u know the amount of Force and hardware US, Germany, Russia,UK had to deploy to help degrade ISIS even France had to deploy it's Aircraft carrier,US had to deploy it's Destroyers even B2 spirit bombers and F22 raptors as if it was world war 3 though we don't have have such hardware but we are putting in everything we got...u can tell the difference of how insurgency was way back in 2009 to this present time if it was then BHT are capable of carrying out bomb attack in ABUJA!!!!!! And other states our troops and air Force is doing well our problem is the leadership

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 18, 2019
Henry240:
Senegalese troops in Mali

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 11:07am On Jul 18, 2019
Toju200:
if our forces ain't doing nothing by now the whole of north would be under terror rule and cgad,Niger and Cameroon would be experiencing the heat too...... Do u know the amount of Force and hardware US, Germany, Russia,UK had to deploy to help degrade ISIS even France had to deploy it's Aircraft carrier,US had to deploy it's Destroyers even B2 spirit bombers and F22 raptors as if it was world war 3 though we don't have have such hardware but we are putting in everything we got...u can tell the difference of how insurgency was way back in 2009 to this present time if it was then BHT are capable of carrying out bomb attack in ABUJA!!!!!! And other states our troops and air Force is doing well our problem is the leadership
seriously?

You are been economical with the truth

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 18, 2019
giles14:
seriously?

You are been economical with the truth
He saying the truth. The Nigerian Air Force over a period of 12 months has recorded over 1800 combat sorties.

If we had as much assets like Algeria for example or Morroco. The figures would be far higher.

So on average, haven seen publicly released figures, it is comparable to the UAE or Saudi Arabia for example.

Russia and the US are a bit of a stretch.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 3:04pm On Jul 18, 2019
Henry240:

He saying the truth. The Nigerian Air Force over a period of 12 months has recorded over 1800 combat sorties.

If we had as much assets like Algeria for example or Morroco. The figures would be far higher.

So on average, haven seen publicly released figures, it is comparable to the UAE or Saudi Arabia for example.

Russia and the US are a bit of a stretch.
Uncle Henry just leave the guy and forget this topic I'm just a kid(17yrs) so wat do I know........ Plss any new update..... Less I forget I saw a news headline which quotes"Alshabab remains a lethal and formidable Force in Somalia" how do you check that...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 18, 2019
Toju200:
Uncle Henry just leave the guy and forget this topic I'm just a kid(17yrs) so wat do I know........ Plss any new update..... Less I forget I saw a news headline which quotes"Alshabab remains a lethal and formidable Force in Somalia" how do you check that...
I used to follow the conflict in that region but since AMISOM stopped publishing photo updates I haven't been following up.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 3:15pm On Jul 18, 2019
Henry240:

I used to follow the conflict in that region but since AMISOM stopped publishing photo updates I haven't been following up.
Alright...No problem
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 18, 2019
Off Topic

Iran Army, Nezaja, receives the first batch of 3 HESA Mohajer-6 ISTAR-capable unmanned combat aerial vehicles.

The battle-tested Mohajer-6 has an endurance of 24 hours and a range of 2000 km.

Not a bad looking UAV at all.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 18, 2019
Nigerian Navy ships

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1895) (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) (1901) ... (2853) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: kenpaul0 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.