Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,007 members, 7,835,417 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (1897) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5993367 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1894) (1895) (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 15, 2019
Proforce PF2 LAV

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 15, 2019
Proforce Ara II MRAP

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:37pm On Jul 15, 2019
Henry240:

I don't think attrition would allow for it. The Reva MRAPs did not last in NA service at all.
the Reva was overworked (Even the Bigfoots) which is not surprising considering the small units we got & even maintenance.
The plus we now have is that supplies/logistics for the vehicles could & would be streamlined and timely. Asides that APC/MRAPs carry more men than the trucks & priority would be too the fighting units FIRST. Its doable
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:43pm On Jul 15, 2019
Henry240:
Proforce Ara II MRAP
won't the roof hatches limit soldiers from shooting out of the vehicles from the top?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 10:15pm On Jul 15, 2019
If you ask me I would say Nigerian army has no business making vehicles. Rather, they should state the specifications they want and allow different companies across Nigeria to bid for the project. Although, Nigerian army can assist this contractors with R&D materials so as to enable them do a better job.

However, if Nigerian army insist on making their vehicle themselves it should be a collaboration between DICON and other private companies not Nigerian army going in on it alone.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 11:30pm On Jul 15, 2019
Henry240:
According to Jane's, the Nigerian army currently has 21 ARA MRAPs in service.

Ara 1 - 8x Units

Ara 2 - 13 x Units.

But i cant find the number of the Ara 1s in the article.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 12:32am On Jul 16, 2019
Xbee007:
If you ask me I would say Nigerian army has no business making vehicles. Rather, they should state the specifications they want and allow different companies across Nigeria to bid for the project. Although, Nigerian army can assist this contractors with R&grin materials so as to enable them do a better job.

However, if Nigerian army insist on making their vehicle themselves it should be a collaboration between DICON and other private companies not Nigerian army going in on it alone.
This particular MRAP (ARA 11) was made by PROFORCE not the NA though the NA had input.
the recent IFVs and LTIV that were displayed by the NA are IMHO still can be regarded as prototypes and like the ARA will be improved upon with time and eventually I expect the manufacturing will be handed of to a private company.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Daverytimes(m): 5:57am On Jul 16, 2019
Odunayaw:
won't the roof hatches limit soldiers from shooting out of the vehicles from the top?
I think the point of those hatches is to provide cover, there is ample room to shoot from.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Xbee007(m): 6:05am On Jul 16, 2019
LTGEN:

This particular MRAP (ARA 11) was made by PROFORCE not the NA though the NA had input.
the recent IFVs and LTIV that were displayed by the NA are IMHO still can be regarded as prototypes and like the ARA will be improved upon with time and eventually I expect the manufacturing will be handed of to a private company.
I wasn't talking about Proforce products. I was talking about the ones made by NA.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 16, 2019
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 16, 2019
SuperSixSeven:

But i cant find the number of the Ara 1s in the article.

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/land/land-land/nigerian-army-orders-nine-ara-mraps-from-proforce/

Take a look at this old defenceweb article.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 8:13am On Jul 16, 2019
Henry240:

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/land/land-land/nigerian-army-orders-nine-ara-mraps-from-proforce/

Take a look at this old defenceweb article.
this was actually the type with the split wind shield.....the very first 9... The they upgraded to the other type and the army commissioned 10 during nadcel 2018 they might have more than that....now currently according to the internet the army has 13 of the new type...... So if we are to calculate all together plus the expectation.... the army will have roughly 50 ARA mrap
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 9:22am On Jul 16, 2019
Toju200:
So if we are to calculate all together plus the expectation.... the army will have roughly [b]50 ARA mrap[/b]
shocked

We should not talk ourselves into something that we cant proof - lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 9:27am On Jul 16, 2019
SuperSixSeven:
shocked

We should not talk ourselves into something that we cant proof - lipsrsealed
I don't get....... I mean the first 9 plus 10 during nadcel 2018 (19) plus the 30 we are acquiring 49..... So wats is it that I didn't prove...

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 10:11am On Jul 16, 2019
https://m.engineeringnews.co.za/article/sami-continues-partnership-talks-with-south-africas-denel-after-rebuff-2019-07-16

SAMI continues partnership talks with South Africa's Denel after rebuff.

Saudi Arabia's State defence company is continuing to hold commercial partnership talks with South Africa's Denel, which said this month it would not sell a stake to the Saudi firm.

Denel CE Danie du Toit told Reuters the State-owned company was open to partnerships but would not sell equity or relinquish intellectual property rights to SAMI, which last year made a $1-billion bid for a broad partnership.

We have ongoing talks," Saudi Arabian Military Industries (SAMI) CE Andreas Schwer told Reuters on Monday.

"Acquiring a stake is just one option but various options are still there."

He said that included partnering on programmes or working on greenfield projects.

SAMI, established in 2017, is mandated to develop a commercially sustainable defence industry in Saudi Arabia.

It has signed over two dozen agreements with international companies to develop the domestic industry, and this month it was announced SAMI would collaborate with South African private defence firm Paramount Group.

Saudi Arabia and its allies account for almost half of South Africa's recent arms exports and a significant portion of future orders.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 11:56am On Jul 16, 2019
South African designed Pegasus vertical takeoff jet demonstrator planned for 2020

South Africa’s Pegasus Universal Aerospace is developing a vertical takeoff and landing jet and has started work building a full-scale demonstrator to display in Europe in 2020.

The vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) jet is called the Pegasus One and is intended to combine the convenience of helicopters with the benefits of jet travel. It is aimed at travellers looking for transportation between busy urban airports, small and unpaved landing areas, yachts and regular helipads, amongst others. Other applications include serving the oil and gas industry and medevac. One of its key selling points is that it does away with the need for transport to and from airports – potentially cutting journey times 45% when driving at each end of a flight is taken into account.

Pegasus is targeting a 4 400 km range from runway take-off or 2 124 km with vertical takeoff and landing with a planned cruise speed of 796 km/h. The aircraft will feature six to eight seats with power provided by two 2 300 shp turboshaft engines (most likely GE CT7-8s) – these provide power to rear thrust fans for horizontal flight and will also power four lift fans in the wings. Depending on take-off option – VTOL or runway – Pegasus One will be able to fly for three and a half to six hours, supporting direct, point-to-point travel. Pegasus One will weigh around 5 700 kg.

Dr Reza Mia, who founded Pegasus in 2012, believes the aircraft will be ready for certification and deliveries in five to seven years’ time. Pegasus estimates it will spend around $500 million to bring the aircraft to market. The aircraft will be developed at the Pegasus facility in Gauteng, but options to establish alternate full production facilities are also being explored in the USA and/or Europe.

Work is underway on a full-scale demonstrator which will be brought to London in 2020 to start a demonstration tour of Europe. India and China are also key markets. A one-eighth scale model has undergone testing to validate its flight characteristics and patents have been taken out for the design.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 1:16pm On Jul 16, 2019
Tilt wing aircraft seem much simpler than these things. And they were building them in the 60's in the US.
Looks cool, but from a engineering perspective there is a lot of unproven custom parts going into this.
Tilt wings are super simple and you can use mostly COTS parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCd2FqTJKs0

saengine:
South African designed Pegasus vertical takeoff jet demonstrator planned for 2020

South Africa’s Pegasus Universal Aerospace is developing a vertical takeoff and landing jet and has started work building a full-scale demonstrator to display in Europe in 2020.

The vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) jet is called the Pegasus One and is intended to combine the convenience of helicopters with the benefits of jet travel. It is aimed at travellers looking for transportation between busy urban airports, small and unpaved landing areas, yachts and regular helipads, amongst others. Other applications include serving the oil and gas industry and medevac. One of its key selling points is that it does away with the need for transport to and from airports – potentially cutting journey times 45% when driving at each end of a flight is taken into account.

Pegasus is targeting a 4 400 km range from runway take-off or 2 124 km with vertical takeoff and landing with a planned cruise speed of 796 km/h. The aircraft will feature six to eight seats with power provided by two 2 300 shp turboshaft engines (most likely GE CT7-8s) – these provide power to rear thrust fans for horizontal flight and will also power four lift fans in the wings. Depending on take-off option – VTOL or runway – Pegasus One will be able to fly for three and a half to six hours, supporting direct, point-to-point travel. Pegasus One will weigh around 5 700 kg.

Dr Reza Mia, who founded Pegasus in 2012, believes the aircraft will be ready for certification and deliveries in five to seven years’ time. Pegasus estimates it will spend around $500 million to bring the aircraft to market. The aircraft will be developed at the Pegasus facility in Gauteng, but options to establish alternate full production facilities are also being explored in the USA and/or Europe.

Work is underway on a full-scale demonstrator which will be brought to London in 2020 to start a demonstration tour of Europe. India and China are also key markets. A one-eighth scale model has undergone testing to validate its flight characteristics and patents have been taken out for the design.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 2:11pm On Jul 16, 2019
New low cost South African APC. Bruiser 112.

2 crew upfront, 10 troops in the back.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by saengine: 2:14pm On Jul 16, 2019
61mech:
Tilt wing aircraft seem much simpler than these things. And they were building them in the 60's in the US.
Looks cool, but from a engineering perspective there is a lot of unproven custom parts going into this.
Tilt wings are super simple and you can use mostly COTS parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCd2FqTJKs0

Probably yes, unless they've come up with an ingenious design.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 16, 2019
French and Niger Special Forces operating in Niger.

French Special Forces Technicals.

I find it funny seeing world powers like France driving around in shitty technicals like the rest of us.

Fancy don't always work apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnsyx50zQko

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 16, 2019
Whatever issues we might have with this vehicle. I'm sure it's going to be sorted out.

Nonetheless, I totally love the design of this vehicle. It really appeals to me.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2019
South-African Special Forces soldier.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 16, 2019
Ratel 20mm and Ratel 90mm.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 7:23pm On Jul 16, 2019
Toju200:
I don't get....... I mean the first 9 plus 10 during nadcel 2018 (19) plus the 30 we are acquiring 49..... So wats is it that I didn't prove...

Ok ok, I wish to apologize for my over-hasty criticisms. But I have to admit that i did not really understand how you came to this number, it has become clear how!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by shadowprimezero: 7:28pm On Jul 16, 2019

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by SuperSixSeven: 7:38pm On Jul 16, 2019
Henry240:
French and Niger Special Forces operating in Niger.

French Special Forces Technicals.

I find it funny seeing world powers like France driving around in shitty technicals like the rest of us.

Fancy don't always work apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnsyx50zQko

I read very often SF buy this vehicles (and spares) from local dealers to minimise logistics, you just leave them behind after the mission. Even UK and even US Special Operators rely on Toyotas as you can see in Syria and elsewhere. And another reason could be that you can blend better with locals. I also saw ACMAT Bastion in the video.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 8:14pm On Jul 16, 2019
SuperSixSeven:

Ok ok, I wish to apologize for my over-hasty criticisms. But I have to admit that i did not really understand how you came to this number, it has become clear how!
no problem
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jul 16, 2019
Nigerian Defence Industry

Local manufacturing of Nigerian military camouflage, fabric.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 16, 2019
Fabrics are made in Lagos and shipped to NAFIL in Kaduna for sewing.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 16, 2019

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by 61mech: 11:15pm On Jul 16, 2019
Also very important is the tracks you leave.
The wheels/ground preasure is the same as everything else that drive arround there including the insurgents.
If you use something exotic/big like a 14t mrap they can cut your spoor for hundreds of miles and know exactly who u are and where your going.

SF units will often use diferrent boots than regular troops 4 the same reason.
Also note how they are mostly off road to avoid IEDs
Essential if your going to operate in Toyota's.
Better gas mileage than armoured vehecles also mean less supply drops that will give away your pos.

SuperSixSeven:

I read very often SF buy this vehicles (and spares) from local dealers to minimise logistics, you just leave them behind after the mission. Even UK and even US Special Operators rely on Toyotas as you can see in Syria and elsewhere. And another reason could be that you can blend better with locals. I also saw ACMAT Bastion in the video.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 16, 2019
61mech:
Also very important is the tracks you leave.
The wheels/ground preasure is the same as everything else that drive arround there including the insurgents.
If you use something exotic/big like a 14t mrap they can cut your spoor for hundreds of miles and know exactly who u are and where your going.

SF units will often use diferrent boots than regular troops 4 the same reason.
Also note how they are mostly off road to avoid IEDs
Essential if your going to operate in Toyota's.
Better gas mileage than armoured vehecles also mean less supply drops that will give away your pos.

This is not exactly true in this case.

The French army dumped their fancy special forces vehicles because of 2 things, Performance & Cost.

You see that region, from lake chad up towards Niger, Mali, Chad, Algeria and Libya is extremely harsh. Dry, hot and Arid.

Vehicles go there to die, literally. grin grin grin

Only the Land cruiser can survive very well that tough terrain. The French in 2013 had all their fancy Panhad Special Forces Vehicles, however I think they came to the realization you don't bring a dog to a wolf fight.

Not even the Toyota Hilux can do well there.

On the wheels of the vehicles, French Landcruisers use military grade tyres. They are not the same as what you see on the other land cruisers used by their partners.

On operating off-road, that's Niger man. The entire country is literally off-road. grin grin

Except in Naimey the capital, there are no roads.

You know the Dakar rally used to pass through large parts of Niger back when it was hosted in Africa?

As can be seen in that short docu, and some of the recent photo ops from Niger, French SF now conduct long range patrols in hordes of vehicles. It's fascinating.

Not so much of isolated units, at least from what we can see in docus and photos released in the past months.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1894) (1895) (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.