Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:05 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (284) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5968118 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:27pm On Nov 27, 2015
ViceAdmiral:
Namibia
Nice looking Special forces vehicle.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by stillchris: 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2015
Henry240:

Congratulations to all of us Nigerians.

But I'm surprised that despite the army being a regular visitor of proforce factory, politicians seem to be more serious with patronage.

Recall the ogun state government also purchased some for the state police earlier this year
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 27, 2015
more photos

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2015
stillchris:

But I'm surprised that despite the army being a regular visitor of proforce factory, politicians seem to be more serious with patronage.

Recall the ogun state government also purchased some for the state police earlier this year

To be honest, I don't know whether I'll like the Proforce MK II or the Leopard ACV for the army, especially the Nigerian Army. I think they are better suited for the Police.

With the Proforce ARA MRAP coming on stream soon, I'll prefer the army waits. Proforce ARA MRAP, Viper LAV and BOA MRAPs are more suited for army operations.

With the leopard ACV, proforce should "re-think" that vehicle in the line of a strategic recon vehicle for Special operations teams, Special Forces & Border Patrol. Sherpa Special forces vehicle and the Al-thalab comes to mind.

My concern was for the company to stay in business, they had to have government patronage at all levels, Federal, State and the business community. Resources gained can then be used to develop some of there top of the line vehicles.

Verdict : NO

As we continue to see more law enforcement and state government patronage, the Army should not go for the Leopard (except re-modeled) or the PF2 MKII. They should instead go for the Proforce ARA or BOA MRAP.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 27, 2015
#Nigeria COIN

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 28, 2015
Henry240:
#Nigeria COIN
Sheesh but you guys are extracting every cent you paid into acquiring those Reva APCs cool!

I asked one of the Nigerian officers at Amani Africa II about the Chinese MRAP and he described it as a heavy lumbering beast not really suited for the mobile aspect of COIN.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 28, 2015
Rooivalk successfully completes test-firing of 70mm laser-guided rockets!

"The Belgium-based arms manufacturer Forges de Zeebrugge (FZ), subsidiary of Thales Group, announced on Friday, Nov. 27, the completion of a successful test firing campaign with its 70 mm laser-guided rocket. The test firings of the new FZ275LGR rocket were conducted in South Africa in late October from a Rooivalk helicopter in service with the South African Air Force (SAAF).

"Performed at Denel's Overberg Test Range, this successful campaign is the latest major milestone in the development of FZ's new 70 mm laser-guided weapon. With precision to within 1 metre, this new guided air-ground rocket improves target engagement capabilities while reducing platform vulnerability. It meets today’s needs of the armed forces by reducing the risk of collateral damage, particularly during asymmetric combat operations.

"The successful test firings confirm the reliability and maturity of the new rocket, which costs significantly less than a missile," said FZ.

"The advantage of the laser guidance is its precision to minimise collateral damage. FZ275LGR will reach a hit-target ability with less than one meter (CEP<1m). Due to the Joint Fire Support Team marking the target even moving vehicles progressing at a speed up to 60km/h can be destroyed. The maximum operational range for laser guided rocket FZ275LGR is about 6 km."

http://www.airrecognition.com/index.php/archive-world-worldwide-news-air-force-aviation-aerospace-air-military-defence-industry/global-news-2015/november/2174-fz-successfully-completes-test-firing-campaign-on-its-new-fz2725lgr-laser-guided-rocket-system.html

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 28, 2015
frumentius:

Sheesh but you guys are extracting every cent you paid into acquiring those Reva APCs cool!

I asked one of the Nigerian officers at Amani Africa II about the Chinese MRAP and he described it as a heavy lumbering beast not really suited for the mobile aspect of COIN.

We are going to extract every piece of metal used in manufacturing them. I remember seeing one with it's windows severely busted, I'm sure it got hit by a 12.7mm.

I do not know the performance each of the vehicles in combat, so i can't say if i agree or disagree. However, it is very obvious, the Reva is a much lighter MRAP than the CVS Bigfoot.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Panzerfaust(m): 10:48am On Nov 28, 2015
frumentius:

"The Belgium-based arms manufacturer Forges de Zeebrugge (FZ), subsidiary of Thales Group, announced on Friday, Nov. 27, the completion of a successful test firing campaign with its 70 mm laser-guided rocket. The test firings of the new FZ275LGR rocket were conducted in South Africa in late October from a Rooivalk helicopter in service with the South African Air Force (SAAF).

"Performed at Denel's Overberg Test Range, this successful campaign is the latest major milestone in the development of FZ's new 70 mm laser-guided weapon. With precision to within 1 metre, this new guided air-ground rocket improves target engagement capabilities while reducing platform vulnerability. It meets today’s needs of the armed forces by reducing the risk of collateral damage, particularly during asymmetric combat operations.

"The successful test firings confirm the reliability and maturity of the new rocket, which costs significantly less than a missile," said FZ.

"The advantage of the laser guidance is its precision to minimise collateral damage. FZ275LGR will reach a hit-target ability with less than one meter (CEP<1m). Due to the Joint Fire Support Team marking the target even moving vehicles progressing at a speed up to 60km/h can be destroyed. The maximum operational range for laser guided rocket FZ275LGR is about 6 km."

http://www.airrecognition.com/index.php/archive-world-worldwide-news-air-force-aviation-aerospace-air-military-defence-industry/global-news-2015/november/2174-fz-successfully-completes-test-firing-campaign-on-its-new-fz2725lgr-laser-guided-rocket-system.html
More like backyard PGMs..lol
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 10:49am On Nov 28, 2015
Henry240:

We are going to extract every piece of metal used in manufacturing them. I remember seeing one with it's windows severely busted, I'm sure it got hit by a 12.7mm.

I do not know the performance each of the vehicles in combat, so i can't say if i agree or disagree. However, it is very obvious, the Reva is a much lighter MRAP than the CVS Bigfoot.
we look forward to more pro African defense procurement in 2016.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 28, 2015
More Photos from Lagos state Police

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 28, 2015
overhypedsteve:
we look forward to more pro African defense procurement in 2016.

I look forward to much more inward looking defence procurement from Nigeria. The Nigerian government, buying from Nigerian companies.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 12:57pm On Nov 28, 2015
frumentius:

excellent... keep it up

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 28, 2015
Now that the dust is settling somewhat, Russia's first effort to rescue the downed Fencer pilots was so tactically inept it was doomed to fail. I explain my reasons over at the discussion thread here: https://www.nairaland.com/1962290/african-militaries-strictly-discussions-thread/7#40487927

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHm2Owpo79Q&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 2:47pm On Nov 28, 2015
frumentius:
Now that the dust is settling somewhat, Russia's first effort to rescue the downed Fencer pilots was so tactically inept it was doomed to fail. I explain my reasons over at the discussion thread here: https://www.nairaland.com/1962290/african-militaries-strictly-discussions-thread/7#40487927

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHm2Owpo79Q&feature=youtu.be

He hit them with the TOW cry
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 28, 2015
gottfried21:

Well, that MI-8 was a sitting duck!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 4:03pm On Nov 28, 2015
frumentius:

Well, that MI-8 was a sitting duck!
I just finished watching an episode of World's toughest Military jobs and this week they gave a look at the U.S. Pararescue squad...After watching that I feel like they could've carried out the operation better undecided ....In that department the states definitely beats Russia undecided

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 5:18pm On Nov 28, 2015
gottfried21:

I just finished watching an episode of World's toughest Military jobs and this week they gave a look at the U.S. Pararescue squad...After watching that I feel like they could've carried out the operation better undecided ....In that department the states definitely beats Russia undecided

Watched the same episode yester night on discovery channel.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 28, 2015
More photos from Lagos.

Are these the Proforce VTOL Drones?

List of equipments purchased by the Lagos state government for the state's Police Rapid Response Squad,

- 3 BELL 412 surveillance Helicopters

- 2 Gunboats

- 100 Salon cars

-70 Ford Ranger pick-ups

-115 Police Power bikes

- 25 APCs

Radios, Drones, Bulletproof vests, Helmets, Uniforms, Improved Insurance benefits and Death benefit schemes.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 9:48pm On Nov 28, 2015
Henry240:
More photos from Lagos.

Are these the Proforce VTOL Drones?

List of equipments purchased by the Lagos state government for the state's Police Rapid Response Squad,

- 3 BELL 412 surveillance Helicopters

- 2 Gunboats

- 100 Salon cars

-70 Ford Ranger pick-ups

-115 Police Power bikes

- 25 APCs

Radios, Drones, Bulletproof vests, Helmets, Uniforms, Improved Insurance benefits and Death benefit schemes.
lol look at how those journalists are gawking at the drone. I'm sure 95% of them have no clue what it is.
I recently tried bringing up a conversation with a friend about the recent Turkey-Russian fracas, and here's his reply.
me;- bro have you listened to the news recently.
friend;- yes, why?
me;- did you hear of the turkey shoot down?
friend;- no I didn't.
me;- well I think Turkey is trying to start WW3, and NATO is backing them.
friend;- how?
me;- smh, do you know NATO?
friend;- have heard it in a movie, is it a SATELLITE or A ROCKET.
me;- ( exasperated) never mind.
friend;- if they start WW3, it's their business As long as it doesn't reach Nigeria.
the friend graduated from higher institution last year.

my point is, it's a lonely world out there for those of us who know and understand the hazy world of THE MILITARY. Most times people don't understand us or don't just care.
that's why I don't blame our politicians, they don't just know about this things.
talking from experience
some few years back, a Nigerian politician said we don't need new fighter jet because we still have a lot of mig21 jets parked in maiduguri airbase.
another politician said our airforce is the most versatile in the world because we use about 20 different platforms... he thinks it's a good thing.
such ignorance.
may our passion never die down and may the ember never flicker out.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 29, 2015
The Iranians are at it again, this time using our own, just like alshabaab

November 28, 2015 . NAIROBI, Kenya -- Two Kenyans in police custody have admitted assisting Iranian state intelligence to plot attacks on western targets in Kenya, Kenya's police chief said Saturday.

Abubakar Sadiq Louw, 69, and Yassin Sambai Juma, 25, confessed to being spies for Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Quds Force, an elite and secretive unit, Joseph Boinnet said.

"We have irrefutable evidence that they have been recruiting into an Iranian spying ring. The mission of that ring was to mount terror attacks in this city not only targeting western interest but our interests as well," Boinnet said.

He said that the two had made several trips to Iran and had been given money by their handlers to case their targets for future terror attacks and to recruit others, including children. He declined to say which western targets were being surveyed........
...............In June 2013 a Kenyan court convicted two Iranian nationals of being Quds agents plotting attacks against Western targets in Kenya and they were sentenced to life in prison.

Ahmad Abolfathi Mohammad and Sayed Mansour Mousavi were arrested in June 2012 and led officials to a 33-pound stash of the explosive RDX. At least 187 pounds of the explosives that authorities say was shipped into Kenya has not been found.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-2-kenyans-arrested-for-spying-for-iran/
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by M14A1: 10:04am On Nov 29, 2015
andrewza:

Then why can zuma his wives, all our senior officers and Minster of defence use our standard helicopters that can then be used for any other task.
Are you suprised?? we are africans and nigerians.
The UK is pimping out an air to air refueling tanker, that would see the british prime minister using it as his official chariot whenever he needs it, and the tanker gets to keep its day job of tanker support.

Knowing my dear country if it were possible to have 35 specialized VIP helos for PAF duties they would surely do it, that way the president has seperate helos on standby for each state.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2015
Just realized something for RSA

So we have a Operation to replace the Casspir/Mamba Mk3

And we have an Operation to replace the SAMIL

.... why not combine the operations?

Example: Casspir 2000 uses a Mercedes power-plant and chassis (derivative)

So, by combining the production lines for Merc truck replacements and a new series of MRAPS we get maximum industrialization for a reduced cost (economies of scale)

I also beleive that there is a casspir derivative that runs off of the Ural chassis and power-plant

If I had access to some real data I could work some real magic with this idea (Spatial-Economic Development is my thing)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 29, 2015
Patchesagain:
Just realized something for RSA

So we have a Operation to replace the Casspir/Mamba Mk3

And we have an Operation to replace the SAMIL

.... why not combine the operations?

Example: Casspir 2000 uses a Mercedes power-plant and chassis (derivative)

So, by combining the production lines for Merc truck replacements and a new series of MRAPS we get maximum industrialization for a reduced cost (economies of scale)

I also beleive that there is a casspir derivative that runs off of the Ural chassis and power-plant

If I had access to some real data I could work some real magic with this idea (Spatial-Economic Development is my thing)
Wonder if our current Casspir fleet can be converted to Casspir 2000/Mk2(as Mechem calls them these days)??, also i don't think its necessary to replace our Samil, all they need is a good overhaul, good thing is that their Atlantis engines were just Merc engines produced under licence so replacing their current engines with new Merc engines wouldn't be that difficult and would easily expand their useful life anouther 20 odd years.

But here's the problem with my plan as stated above.....With what are we going to replace our Mamba?? Obviously i would love to see the Rg35 in SANDF colours, but then we would need to not only replace our mambas with the Rg35 but also our Casspir to make it somewhat cost effective ,which basically fvcks up my above mentioned idea, they also use Cummins engines while all our Ratel, Casspir , Buffel, Samil ect ect have always used MB engines.....So much for commonality!!

Another idea is to convert our Casspir fleet to Mechem's mk4 version which uses a Cummins motor then to replace our Mamba and remainder of Ratel 20s and so with RG35 4x4 and 6x6.....But now what are we going to do with the Samil??
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:56pm On Nov 29, 2015
MRS doing a few exercises with an Oryx:
Photo credit: @Martiens

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:21pm On Nov 29, 2015
Beautiful Nigerian women

Munisma, Mali

UN police (Nigeria)

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 30, 2015
gottfried21:

the russian are saying the chopper was already damaged by ground fire and was in the process of being destroyed when the TOW crew did the job.i could agree because the main rotor isn't spinning meaning the engine is shut down
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 30, 2015
wreckage tail section of a saudi AH-64 found by houthi rebels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV4Ec67zXAk
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 30, 2015
Epenal Ship builder, a local Nigerian vessel building company is to deliver 10 units of 12 meters boats to the Nigerian JTF on the 30/11/2015.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
we need to train african militaries how to fight in asymmetrical warfare rather than conventional warfare,a small unit of 10 people could stop a whole convoy.most of our soldiers dont know how to react when their convoy is ambushed or even with limited resource how to counter an ambush.during uganda deployment in Mogadishu somali ,they had to be trained how to build bunkers,fortifications and close combat battle after suffering heavy losses from the alshabaab who had years and year of experience fighting in mogandishu and even know-how from foreign jihadist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXG3jV3Sc0
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
heavy fighting between the newly formed ISIS in somalia and alshabaab reported in the town jamame ,let them kill each other

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:38pm On Nov 30, 2015
heavy fighting between the newly formed ISIS in somalia and alshabaab reported in the town jamame ,let them kill each other on twitter # alshabaab

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.