Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (491) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5968622 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:47pm On May 21, 2016
Henry240:

Great! It's the Xiaolong i've been trying to recall. I caught a glimpse of an armed Xiaolong in a video, it looked very good.

The dongfeng is an LAV not really an SPV.

"Xiaolong" i think it means "small dragon". @chinese 8... Dui ma?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:56pm On May 21, 2016
gottfried21:

Namibia has 5 of these(I've seen them wink)They're undergoing trials in the desert

So we still doing business With Poly Technologies even after they where found to have paid General Shalli a 'commission'?

Pics:The convoy that recently went on the pilgrimage to Cassinga including the new Ural trucks
Looks like the Ural trucks are seeing heavy use already as i tend to see one every second day

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 21, 2016
Mauritania army

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 3:55am On May 22, 2016
Henry240:
Finally an armed SANDF MRAP

they are normally armed
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 5:02am On May 22, 2016
Henry240:

Great! It's the Xiaolong i've been trying to recall. I caught a glimpse of an armed Xiaolong in a video, it looked very good.

The dongfeng is an LAV not really an SPV.

Yes xiaolong beats it and humvee on off-road performance mobility and maneuverablity
there are many video online shown
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 5:21am On May 22, 2016
craziebone:

nin hao! Wo bu xiang sin ni shi Zhong guo ren. Ni shi na yi bu fen Zhong guo? Wo shi Cai Wen Bin. Wo cong Niriliya lai. Wo you hen duo peng you. Ta men shi Zhong guo ren. Ta men cong Si Chuang, Guang Dong, Tian Jin he Urum qi lai.
wo shi zhong guo ren. wo lai zi chongqing .ni hui xie han zi ma?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 5:36am On May 22, 2016
craziebone:

"Xiaolong" i think it means "small dragon". @chinese 8... Dui ma?

could be . or fierce dragon 枭龙
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:31am On May 22, 2016
patches689:

they are normally armed
They are not.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by TrueHeart365(m): 8:57am On May 22, 2016
Henry240:

They are not.
i've seen pics of armed ones in DRC. i'll post it when i find it again
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by rugged7(m): 9:22am On May 22, 2016
Boko Haram ready to negotiate surrender, release of Chibok girls – Report

"According to the Times of London, senior members of the terrorist group said it was prepared to negotiate a surrender and release the hostages on the condition they would not be not betrayed by the government or killed for giving up arms.
Over 200 students of the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, were seized two years ago and have not been traced or found.
“We want to surrender because things are getting worse,” said Amir Muhammad Abdullahi, who is reportedly Boko Haram’s second in command. He said no side was winning the battle and that only a third of the girls remained as “the rest have been martyred”."

https://www.today.ng/news/national/125606/boko-haram-ready-negotiate-surrender-release-chibok-girls-report

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 9:37am On May 22, 2016
Henry240:

They are not.

Yes, they are - have been since Apartheid.

Or do you think we spent millions putting turrets on our Ratels for fun?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:13am On May 22, 2016
TrueHeart365:

i've seen pics of armed ones in DRC. i'll post it when i find it again

They are always very few. Offcourse i'm not saying the aren't armed, however by my own count, only 20% of SANDF MRAPs are usually armed.

Take a look at this set of photos as an instance.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:36am On May 22, 2016
chinese8107:

wo shi zhong guo ren. wo lai zi chongqing .ni hui xie han zi ma?

shi! Wo hui xie han zi. Keshi, wo de hanzi yi ban ban. Wo xie yi dianr han zi. Qing wen, zi chong qing zai nar bian zhongguo? Wo zhi dao guangdon zai zhongguo nan bian.

Wo neng ti ni ge wen ti: Wo de han yu zen me yang? Wo xue han yu zai la ge si da xue Kong zi xue yuan. Ni ren shi Kong zi xue yuan hai shi han ban ma?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:41am On May 22, 2016
SAS Drakensberg and SAS Manthatisi:

Image credit: Doug Drysdale

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 11:44am On May 22, 2016
Henry240:

They are always very few. Offcourse i'm not saying the aren't armed, however by my own count, only 20% of SANDF MRAPs are usually armed.

Take a look at this set of photos as an instance.

Depends on what they are doing and who they are attached to - A/B/F-echelons have different requirements as well as the unit being moved in the MRAPs

If it needs an MG it gets an MG.

Casspir carries 12 men, which is a section. Each section has one or two GPMG (depending). If the section is planning on being mobile, they mount the GPMG. If they plan on being foot-mobile, they dont mount the GPMG.

In DRC or Sudan where they are doing convoy protection or combat/clearing/screening patrols they plan on staying in or near their vehicles so they mount the GPMG

South Africa has been fighting high mobility warfare for a very long time, we do the things we do for a reason. Certain people seem to think that MRAPs are IFVs... they arent, they are battle taxis.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 11:59am On May 22, 2016
Fantastic video of the recent capability demonstartion at De Bruig force preperation centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVgP14BJK-c

SANDFs PR team is really stepping it up these days - first with Navy Day and now this.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 12:02pm On May 22, 2016
craziebone:

shi! Wo hui xie han zi. Keshi, wo de hanzi yi ban ban. Wo xie yi dianr han zi. Qing wen, zi chong qing zai nar bian zhongguo? Wo zhi dao guangdon zai zhongguo nan bian.

Wo neng ti ni ge wen ti: Wo de han yu zen me yang? Wo xue han yu zai la ge si da xue Kong zi xue yuan. Ni ren shi Kong zi xue yuan hai shi han ban ma?

chong qing zai zhongguo xi bian. your oral mandarin is fairly good excepting some grammer mistakes..No. wo bu ren shi
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:06pm On May 22, 2016
Latest batch of recruits complete basic training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlTrnGNeNgs
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by rugged7(m): 12:12pm On May 22, 2016
#America can shove it's Tucano up that hole where the sun don't shine...

WALL STREET JOURNAL EDITORIAL

Nigeria Needs U.S. Help Against Boko Haram
Obama is right to transfer 12 attack planes to the country.

Nigerian authorities on Wednesday announced they had found at least one of the 276 schoolgirls infamously kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014. It’s a good omen as President Muhammadu Buhari and his West African allies attempt to rout the region’s greatest terrorist menace.

Anti-Boko vigilantes assisting Nigerian armed forces discovered Amina Ali Nkeki, now age 19, while she was wandering the Sambisa forest in the country’s northeast Borno State. Ms. Nkeki was nursing a child. A suspected Boko fighter, likely Ms. Nkeki’s husband from a forced marriage, was with them. Nigerian forces have detained him for questioning.

The story highlights the valuable role played by anti-Boko volunteers and local hunters, who often know the terrain better than the army. Still, questions remain as to how Ms. Nkeki ended up in government hands, and the fact that so many innocents remain in captivity is a reminder that the war is far from over.

Ms. Nkeki told Nigerian authorities that most of the 276 girls kidnapped two years ago are still alive and imprisoned in Boko camps (57 escaped right away). Boko fighters have kidnapped more than 2,000 people since 2014, most of them women. Reports of forced marriage and rape are common among women and children who escape Boko captivity or are rescued.

Mr. Buhari, a Muslim ex-general who was elected last year on a pledge to wipe out Boko, has reversed the group’s momentum by taking the fight to the Islamists. He has reshuffled the military brass, increased use of heavy artillery and improved strategic coordination with Nigeria’s neighbors—Cameroon, Chad and Niger—all of whom are also threatened by Boko.

A counterinsurgency on this scale takes time and enormous military resources, and for every village recaptured there is a fresh suicide bombing or assault on a military outpost. Boko Haram is enhancing its cooperation with Islamic State, and it may be dispatching fighters from Nigeria to fight for the so-called caliphate’s Libyan “province,” according to U.S. officials.

The Obama Administration wants to transfer up to 12 Super Tucano attack planes to the Nigerian armed forces in support of the anti-Boko fight. The U.S. anti-antiterror lobby and Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont are gearing up to block the sale, citing the country’s human-rights record.

That’s a mistake. Nigeria is a functioning democracy that recently completed a peaceful power transition. It is fighting bravely to face down Africa’s most vicious terror outfit. Hashtag campaigns to #BringBackOurGirls may make Western liberals feel good about themselves, but that goal can’t be accomplished without the requisite means: #SuperTucano.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-good-omen-for-nigeria-1463688441
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:28pm On May 22, 2016
rugged7:

WALL STREET JOURNAL EDITORIAL

Nigeria Needs U.S. Help Against Boko Haram
Obama is right to transfer 12 attack planes to the country.

Nigerian authorities on Wednesday announced they had found at least one of the 276 schoolgirls infamously kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014. It’s a good omen as President Muhammadu Buhari and his West African allies attempt to rout the region’s greatest terrorist menace.

Anti-Boko vigilantes assisting Nigerian armed forces discovered Amina Ali Nkeki, now age 19, while she was wandering the Sambisa forest in the country’s northeast Borno State. Ms. Nkeki was nursing a child. A suspected Boko fighter, likely Ms. Nkeki’s husband from a forced marriage, was with them. Nigerian forces have detained him for questioning.

The story highlights the valuable role played by anti-Boko volunteers and local hunters, who often know the terrain better than the army. Still, questions remain as to how Ms. Nkeki ended up in government hands, and the fact that so many innocents remain in captivity is a reminder that the war is far from over.

Ms. Nkeki told Nigerian authorities that most of the 276 girls kidnapped two years ago are still alive and imprisoned in Boko camps (57 escaped right away). Boko fighters have kidnapped more than 2,000 people since 2014, most of them women. Reports of forced marriage and rape are common among women and children who escape Boko captivity or are rescued.

Mr. Buhari, a Muslim ex-general who was elected last year on a pledge to wipe out Boko, has reversed the group’s momentum by taking the fight to the Islamists. He has reshuffled the military brass, increased use of heavy artillery and improved strategic coordination with Nigeria’s neighbors—Cameroon, Chad and Niger—all of whom are also threatened by Boko.

A counterinsurgency on this scale takes time and enormous military resources, and for every village recaptured there is a fresh suicide bombing or assault on a military outpost. Boko Haram is enhancing its cooperation with Islamic State, and it may be dispatching fighters from Nigeria to fight for the so-called caliphate’s Libyan “province,” according to U.S. officials.

The Obama Administration wants to transfer up to 12 Super Tucano attack planes to the Nigerian armed forces in support of the anti-Boko fight. The U.S. anti-antiterror lobby and Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont are gearing up to block the sale, citing the country’s human-rights record.

That’s a mistake. Nigeria is a functioning democracy that recently completed a peaceful power transition. It is fighting bravely to face down Africa’s most vicious terror outfit. Hashtag campaigns to #BringBackOurGirls may make Western liberals feel good about themselves, but that goal can’t be accomplished without the requisite means: #SuperTucano.

Well now we know what the problem is

Its a transfer not a sale.

Obviously, with a transfer there are more strings attached
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:29pm On May 22, 2016
Centrifude:
Can someone please Explain to me why Drum Magazines aren't used by the worlds Armies. They seem to carry more rounds than the standard Magazines, and if its a matter of them being too expensive then why aren't they given exclusively to Special forces. SF guys tend to get involved in intense fire fights and I'm sure having to reload after firing 35/30 or 20 rounds must be a serious disadvantage for a small group of guys fighting Hundreds of enemy soldiers.

Reliability and ergonomics.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 12:40pm On May 22, 2016
Henry240:
Finally an armed SANDF MRAP

They normally unarmerd in SA but armerd on deployments. The SANDF Mraps have the same number of mounts has the export models. Though you unlikely to see a casspir with 3 MGs in SANDF colours. Each gunner is one less infantryman and they the true fighing force in a motorized battalion. The MRAP is just a battlefield Taxi that will provide some fire support to the attacking infantry.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 12:50pm On May 22, 2016
patches689:

Well now we know what the problem is

Its a transfer not a sale.

Obviously, with a transfer there are more strings attached
exactly why I hate the idea...that term "transfer" leaves me sick to my stomach
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:51pm On May 22, 2016
chinese8107:

chong qing zai zhongguo xi bian. your oral mandarin is fairly good excepting some grammer mistakes..No. wo bu ren shi

He's using google translate, anybody can type any language with google translate.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 12:55pm On May 22, 2016
Centrifude:
Can someone please Explain to me why Drum Magazines aren't used by the worlds Armies. They seem to carry more rounds than the standard Magazines, and if its a matter of them being too expensive then why aren't they given exclusively to Special forces. SF guys tend to get involved in intense fire fights and I'm sure having to reload after firing 35/30 or 20 rounds must be a serious disadvantage for a small group of guys fighting Hundreds of enemy soldiers.

They jam allot - like ALLOT. They are also quite complex in comparison to regular magazines. The Russian Army, however, used drum-mags on their RPK's which is their squad auto-rifle.

Also, like was said; ergonomics and stuff - big and bulky in CQB, also makes the weapon very heavy.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:04pm On May 22, 2016
Odunayaw:
exactly why I hate the idea...that term "transfer" leaves me sick to my stomach

"dont look a gift-horse in the mouth"

Free sh1t is free sh1t - transfer means you save $200 million.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:07pm On May 22, 2016
rugged7:

Hashtag campaigns to #BringBackOurGirls may make Western liberals feel good about themselves, but that goal can’t be accomplished without the requisite means: #SuperTucano.

You're taking this Super-Tucano thing to literally. They shouldn't shove anything anywhere, it should be transfered/sold or whatever to Nigeria.

Let's look at the advantages of having the Tucano, plus it's a transfer.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 1:08pm On May 22, 2016
patches689:

"dont look a gift-horse in the mouth"

Free sh1t is free sh1t - transfer means you save $200 million.
*rolling my eyes*
Well...FG knows what to do
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:16pm On May 22, 2016
patches689:

They jam allot - like ALLOT. They are also quite complex in comparison to regular magazines. The Russian Army, however, used drum-mags on their RPK's which is their squad auto-rifle.

Also, like was said; ergonomics and stuff - big and bulky in CQB, also makes the weapon very heavy.

AK-107 or the Beryl used by Nigeria aren't big and bulky.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 1:18pm On May 22, 2016
Henry240:

AK-107 or the Beryl used by Nigeria aren't big and bulky.

Drum mags are
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by chinese8107: 1:43pm On May 22, 2016
Henry240:
OFF TOPIC

UAE Abjan Special Operations Vehicle (SOV)

Nimr automative of the UAE has some really good-looking armoured vehicles, infact the entire UAE defence industry is growing well. It is nice to see a country of 2 million people produce multiple world-class defence products while many African countries(including Nigeria) are lagging behind or generally not doing anything.

any video about its off road performance?

(1) (2) (3) ... (488) (489) (490) (491) (492) (493) (494) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.