Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road (21052 Views)

Ikorodu Road After Rain Last Night (photos) / Oyibo Man Enters LASTMA Bike To Beat Traffic On Ikorodu Road [photos] / Thugs Destroy APC Political Banners On Ikorodu Road, Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by IB5(f): 8:48pm On Aug 06, 2013
Naturally, I know the federal government is incompetent, so I won't bother to put much blame on them. But I don't know why Ogun state and Lagos state government also kept ignoring the road, like it is not in their states. angry
This road is the worst major road I have seen in the SouthWest

APPARENTLY, many Nigerians are not aware that the 25-kilometre Shagamu-Ogijo-Mosinmi-Ikorodu Road was the first major expressway that linked Lagos State, the commercial nerve of the nation, to other states and indeed, other West Africa countries.

Constructed in 1962 by the Western Region government, before the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway was built under the military administration, the road has served as the major route from Lagos through Shagamu, Ogijo and Ikorodu. But today, the same road, which is an alternative route to Lagos, apart from Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, remains a shadow of itself.

As some of the road -users put it: “It is appalling that the once vibrant road remains without any major maintenance for over 51 years, after its construction.”

It is, indeed, a road that depicts rot in the entire country, “where necessary and vibrant institutions are left to rot.”

According to a commercial driver, Salisu Ajayi, “The Shagamu-Ogijo-Mosinmi-Ikorodu Road could be best described as a death trap, where  many have died, property worth billions of naira destroyed and several man hours wasted in harrowing traffic, all due to its deplorable state.”

Unfortunately, the Federal Road Maintenance Agency (FERMA) is at present carrying out some palliative repair of the road, “Is that what we need now on a road that is in a total state of collapse?” a road-user asked.

Many commuters plying the road, while commending the Federal Government for reconstructing the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway with an additional one lane, expressed dissatisfaction over the complete neglect of Shagamu-Ogijo-Mosinmi-Ikorodu Road. To majority of them: “There is nothing to rejoice over because the additional one lane will soon take us back to where we were.”

The growing population, new property, which now spread from Ikorodu through Odogunyan, Ogijo, Simawa,

Mosinmi to Shagamu towns, bring to question: “Why should any nation, which cares about the well-being and security of her citizens and development, abandon such strategic and important road to become an eyesore and a death trap?”

Recurrent disaster and pains commuters go through while plying the roads reveal that at any drop of rainfall, numerous portions of the road, would become  a “sea”. 

“From Odogunyan to PZ, Itaoluwo, Ogijo to Lukosi are overtaken by flood. Vehicular movements also become impossible. Many calamities befall commuters on the road as school children were sometimes swept by floodwater.

On June 10, two children were reportedly swept away by the flood along the road.”

Describing another portion of the road, which a commuter referred to as ‘junction of disaster’ a few meters before Ogijo Bus Stop, Ogun State axis, a tanker driver, Rafiu Aremu, said: “Hardly a week would pass away without one or two tankers loaded with fuel or other articulated vehicle somersaulting here due to the bad state.”

[b]The Guardian further gathered that on several ocassions, many articulated vehicles had rolled back and crushed vehicles coming behind while trying to climb the hilly part of the road.

A pregnant woman was once crushed to death inside her car when a tanker that was trying to climb one of the hilly parts of the road rolled back and crushed her.[b]  Some federal and state institutions situated along the axis include the Lagos State Polytechnic, Lagos State Farm Estate, PZ, Lagos Waste to Wealth Fertilizer Company, Larfarge Cement Company among others.

These explain the density of population and vehicular moment on the road.

The lawmaker representing Ikorodu in the House of Representatives, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who spoke with The Guardian on the state of the road, said it was disheartening to see a road like this in Nigeria in 21st Century.   

Dabiri-Erewa added that the lawmakers representing Lagos and Ogun states were not resting on their oars in the National Assembly.

The Senator, representing Lagos East Senatorial District, Gbenga Ashafa also described the state of road as appalling. 

Meanwhile, two years ago the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) intervened by constructing a link road from Lagos-Ibadan Expressway to the Shagamu-Ogijo-Mosinmi-Ikorodu Road through Lotus-Simawa-Lukosi, which has given motorists and road –users some relief.  

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/news-metro/128023-agony-on-shagamu-ogijo-mosinmi-ikorodu-road-

One of the most annoying parts of that road is when you have to divert from the road itself and drive through one cement factory to reach the other side. angry

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by IB5(f): 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2013
I appeal to those constructing Mile12-Ikorodu road not to stop at Ikorodu roundabout, it will be great if they can apply the standard of construction to Shagamu-Ikorodu road.

ochukoccna: Thanks to the OP who started this thread which is something I sought to do earlier
This particular road was mentioned by Gov Amosun when the President came to launch the reconstruction of Lagos Ibadan Road to which the president said his Works minister would look into it
Even before that rumours abounded that CCECC who are working on the Ikorodu Town-Mile 12 road would fix it and get paid by Lagos and Ogun state govts
I do not want to get needlessly involved in the FG/LASG road brouhaha on repairing this road seeing LASG stopped fixing FG roads under OBJ
I call people to remember the politics that trailed FERMA under the Ministry of Works [headed then by a Lagosian Ogunlewe who is incidentally from Ikorodu] and Tinubu
Also the fireworks between FERMA and LASG regarding the currently been rebuilt Ikorodu Town-Mile 12 road
Currently FERMA is working on that road, but for how long
I was in a BRT bus last week on this road when an old man called a FERMA official 'useless Federal government'
Harsh words you might say
Last year the president gave an order to the ministry of Works to make FG motor able for Christmas [If the FG roads were in good condition, would such a charge have come,I digress]
FERMA moved unto this road LAST YEAR SEPTEMBER 2012
Almost 12 calender months on working on this road, this is the best we have gotten
In saner climes someone would have been sacked or sued but I guess this is the FRESH AIR we must live with in this season of life

3 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by delpee(f): 12:23am On Aug 07, 2013
Its e federal road though Lagos and Ogun state govts can work on it for their peoples sake.
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by IB5(f): 6:00am On Aug 07, 2013
delpee: Its e federal road though Lagos and Ogun state govts can work on it for their peoples sake.

Yes, they should work together in constructing the road and not just waiting for the Federal government.
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Omexonomy: 6:53am On Aug 07, 2013
All the money being pour into media hype by this governors can be use for reconstructing that road to fifty lanes for the benefit of the people in those state that collect large amount of tenement rate developmental fees and all sort of pay this pay that.

1 Like

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by phillippiano(m): 7:20am On Aug 07, 2013
Naija sha
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by sEyi6: 9:01am On Aug 07, 2013
Omexonomy: All the money being pour into media hype by this governors can be use for reconstructing that road to fifty lanes for the benefit of the people in those state that collect large amount of tenement rate developmental fees and all sort of pay this pay that.

It is a federal road, but the states also shouldn't ignore it.
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 07, 2013

Sometimes I tie my feet together while in the bath and pretend I'm a merman.
Other times I spend four years doing absolutely nothing and pretend I'm the Nigerian government.

7 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by horlabiyi(m): 9:53am On Aug 07, 2013
I hope they do something about the road soon. Too bad
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Bantino(m): 9:54am On Aug 07, 2013
What a nation!!
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Nobody: 9:57am On Aug 07, 2013
Its a simple thing. Make everybody go sleep for em papa house undecided
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by strangest(m): 9:57am On Aug 07, 2013
We are still busy with destitutes abeg, the road should build itself

2 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 07, 2013
Okay noted! We wil. Do somtin about it!
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by seanet02: 10:01am On Aug 07, 2013
I-B.:

Yes, they should work together in constructing the road and not just waiting for the Federal government.
. You probably have forgotten how the federal government is trying to scuttle Amosun's efforts on the federal roads in Ogun

3 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by sEyi6: 10:05am On Aug 07, 2013
seanet02: . You probably have forgotten how the federal government is trying to scuttle Amosun's efforts on the federal roads in Ogun

Very true, Ijebu-Ode road comes to mind. But what's the essence of stopping the state government from constructing federal roads that the federal government is not doing anything about?

1 Like

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by MrAboki: 10:08am On Aug 07, 2013
Meanwhile, all these Yoruba tribal warriors would not cease to shout 'Eko oni Baje'.. Look at your state. angry

I foresee Lagos ending up like Detroit.. #Bankrupt for spending all their money on Tinubus mothers burial, State parties, Owambe and Aso-ebi instead of fixing the state. angry

14 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Desdola(m): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2013
Nobody cares now. The whole agenda from our government now is how to rigmarole their way into office in 2015!!!
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Godson201333(m): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2013
The last time i drove on that fucccken road,Had to replace my car shockers and i even fell sick..That road is just too bad and did i hear you say Lagos state and Ogun state government,Nope its Jonathan and others.Federal Government should please consider that very import Highway.

2 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Godson201333(m): 10:12am On Aug 07, 2013
Mr Aboki: Meanwhile, all these Yoruba tribal warriors would not cease to shout 'Eko oni Baje'.. Look at your state. angry

I foresee Lagos ending up like Detroit.. #Bankrupt for spending all their money on Tinubus mothers burial, State parties, Owambe and Aso-ebi instead of fixing the state. angry

You lack common sense! grin grin

23 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Godson201333(m): 10:16am On Aug 07, 2013
$£yi:

Very true, Ijebu-Ode road comes to mind. But what's the essence of stopping the state government from constructing federal roads that the federal government is not doing anything about?

Even though i am not there,I heard that Fashola has started constructing Ketu-Ikorodu highway..do you know it also belongs to federal?what about Mile 2--Badagry highway?Do you know it belongs to federal?

The federal government aint doing anything,Take a look at Sango-Oshodi highway,Oh Nigeria what a pity!

Ikorodu-Ijebu Ode highway is another death trap that we mention...
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Dsage1: 10:18am On Aug 07, 2013
Mr Aboki: Meanwhile, all these Yoruba tribal warriors would not cease to shout 'Eko oni Baje'.. Look at your state. angry

Like someone say,you really lack common sense. Are you so blind to see that the road belong to FG?

1 Like

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by YesBosss(m): 10:18am On Aug 07, 2013

Okija Juju, That road is a federal road, but its better the Ogun and Lagos state government should join hands together to repair that road, no time grin grin
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Omexonomy: 10:20am On Aug 07, 2013
Godson201333:

You lack common sense! grin grin
please sir i beg to differ you are the one that lack comon sense. Tinubu spent over N150 million to bury his mother. Fashole buried his father in a grave yard and he is encouraging people to cremate their love ones

2 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Godson201333(m): 10:21am On Aug 07, 2013
D sage:

Like someone say,you really lack common sense. Are you so blind to see that the road belong to FG?

You do not need to enlighten the un-educated murrafucker ABOKI,Silence is the best answer for a fooool shocked grin grin grin
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Godson201333(m): 10:23am On Aug 07, 2013
Omexonomy: please sir i beg to differ you are the one that lack comon sense. Tinubu spent over N150 million to bury his mother. Fashole buried his father in a grave yard and he is encouraging people to cremate their love ones

You do not have to come here to derail this thread with your stewpidity....Try to huzzle hard so that you can spend over 200 million for your mother burial.
Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by oyedun82(m): 10:25am On Aug 07, 2013
obasanjo during his regime gave segun ogunlewe former minister of works to construct that road but they all embezzled the money! Later wapco decided to construct the road 4rm sagamu to mosimi buh dis xo called politician and d obas never agreed to it and was ready to sue wapco back then which wapco later construct a mini road inside their factory for private car to pass through!.

Government are not ready to construct that road except to fill it with clay soil during rainy season. Ogun state govt is the worst govt have ever seen.

2 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by MrAboki: 10:27am On Aug 07, 2013
D sage:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Common Sense.. Its a Federal Government road, so lets leave it to continue reducing the population of Nigerians. grin Mr. Common Sense, If Lagos State government emulates the likes of Amaechi & Apkabio who build F.G roads in their state and collect the refunds from the government, Eko will Baje. Mr. Common Sense, Lets wait for eternity for the Federal Government in Abuja that has over 5000 roads Nationwide to think about to come fix this road for us, while more people die on that road by drowning. ARGH!! Mr Common Sense, now I get it.. If the road remains like this, its a win win for Lagosians, Every death = Aso-Ebi and Owambe, Every spoilt car = employmemnt for mechanics, Every stuck car = Money for touts, every dead person = one less mouth for LASG to worry about.. grin

I love your common Sense mr. common Sense. grin

16 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by sEyi6: 10:28am On Aug 07, 2013
Godson201333:

Even though i am not there,I heard that Fashola has started constructing Ketu-Ikorodu highway..do you know it also belongs to federal?what about Mile 2--Badagry highway?Do you know it belongs to federal?

The federal government aint doing anything,Take a look at Sango-Oshodi highway,Oh Nigeria what a pity!

Ikorodu-Ijebu Ode highway is another death trap that we mention...

Yes, Fashola is trying about those federal roads, I saw it myself. But forget not that the federal government also challenged him for constructing that road(ketu-Ikorodu road), but he didn't relent. Same thing with Ijebu-ode road, but I think Amosun had to stop it when the noise was too much, the federal government is playing politics with road construction in SouthWest.

3 Likes

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by MrAboki: 10:30am On Aug 07, 2013
YesBosss:

Okija Juju, That road is a federal road, but its better the Ogun and Lagos state government should join hands together to repair that road, no time grin grin

Bros.. Please who is Okija Juju..

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by ba7man(m): 10:30am On Aug 07, 2013
This road is a reflection of the failures of the Federal Government to their responsibilities.

If the State Governments come together to fix it, the FG will try to scuttle their attempt and some people will scream that they're politicizing it and they should face fixing feeder roads instead.

Its classic "Pull him down syndrom" of the blackman (Why else do you think its people from other regions that are supporting this??). But its also through difficulties that sucess is made.

Its these difficulties caused by the FG that has resulted in the Southwest being the most innovative and progressive.

1 Like

Re: Agony On Shagamu-ogijo mosinmi-ikorodu Road by Hade4larin: 10:31am On Aug 07, 2013

Must u display ur stupidity here on nairaland SMH

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

American Based Company Set To Invest Over $10 Billion In Coastal Rail Line / DSS Uncovers Plots To Incite Religious Violence In Selected States In Nigeria / MASSOB, Arewa Youths Dare FG To Rearrest Nnamdi Kanu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.