Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? (17417 Views)

Poll: He/she is your ideal soulmate but doesn't believe in God. Can you marry him/her?

Yes: 31% (31 votes)
No: 69% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Can God Lead You To Marry Someone You Don't Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by silans(m): 5:11pm On May 28, 2006
If God says yes, who am i to say no , so if the person ask me that, i.e if i am single and looking, i will first of all go to God in prayer (Fasting) before giving the person a feed back.
Because God want the best for an individual, His plans for us is not of Evil but of good,

but on the contrary, i cannot marry an unbeliver, lol cheesy
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 5:14pm On May 28, 2006
So, what's the difference between an unbeliever and someone that doesn't believe in God? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nobody: 5:37pm On May 28, 2006
i simply can't cos theproblems will so multiply and u both cannot agree on this issue
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by chinani(f): 5:57pm On May 28, 2006
Seun:

IAH, if you marry a non-believing husband, he has to be tolerant. Let us explore this issue of tolerance.

Does it mean he has to:
- Go to church with you from time to time?
- Let you take the children to church when they'll rather stay at home with him?
- Refrain from teaching the children about evolution or making them doubt the word of God?

It's possible to be tolerant when there are just two of you, but once you have children there'll be no more tolerance!
I know you asked IAH, but I thought I might also answer. I hope you don't mind.
a) He needn't go with me. I mean I don't think I can expect or demand that he goes when I know full well he doesn't believe before we're married. Bate & switch isn't fair. Of course, if I'm pregnant & need a driver, I think it's fair for me to ask. He can sing along.

b)Set up a schedule for the children I suppose. It's natural for kids to want to sleep in. But like 2 or 3 years ago I worked at a Sunday school and this one mother would come to drop off her 3, yes 3 sons, aged 5, 4, and like 15 months or whatever ALL BY HERSELF. Every Sunday. It wasn't easy b/c boys aren't easy. But she did it every Sunday, they were never late and the boys never complained about going to church. They just excepted that it was something they did with Mommy. "Daddy" was at the house doing whatever - the 5 yr old would give us a regular report.

c)I don't have a problem w/ teaching/learning evolution. The love of God is FAITH alone. If you can't learn about science and love God then I don't think you really love God. (My opinion)

But, like someone said, it's prolly not that easy. I know many Christian/Jewish families and they seem to do well but who really knows, right?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by diddy4(m): 6:04pm On May 28, 2006
i don't think its wise to marry someone that doesnt share the same religious belief with, i.e. believe in God. what if the person has got other powers or something. those of us in naija know what am talking about. maybe the peron did somthing with him/herself and was forbidden to enter the temple of the Most High, s/he aint gon tell u whats up?

y'all should think about that.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by chinani(f): 6:12pm On May 28, 2006
Well I took atheist to me "no juju".
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by mukina2: 6:17pm On May 28, 2006
yes and i'll change him after
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 6:23pm On May 28, 2006
Princess, how do you think you can change someone who others before you have tried, and failed, to change?

It could turn out to be an extremely risky proposition, you know. . . .
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by mukina2: 6:28pm On May 28, 2006
my king its simple if he loves me he;ll change angry angry
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 6:31pm On May 28, 2006
Hmmm. . . Lovely. . .

Birds of like feather flock together, you know.

Two cannot walk together, except they agree.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by mukina2: 6:34pm On May 28, 2006
i know but sometimes love makes people do strange things
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 6:40pm On May 28, 2006
Yes. . .love. . . .

Such a reckless, yet essential emotion. . . .
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by 2cantango(f): 7:38pm On May 28, 2006
mukina2:

my king its simple if he loves me he;ll change angry angry

If only it were that simple sad

What if he approaches you with the same attitude - if you love me, you'll let go of your faith? undecided
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Orikinla(m): 8:14pm On May 28, 2006
Suppose you meet someone who is so sweet, so loving, so gentle, so understanding, so caring, so attractive, so charming, etc. Someone who is everything you have ever wanted in a husband or wife. But that person just doesn't believe in God and despite all your efforts cannot believe (or refuses to believe).

If she is a charming and sexy babe, I will marry her and convert her.

Well, no one can be close to me and still remain an atheist.
As no one can be close to Pastor E. A Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) and still remain an atheist.

Not believing in God is due to warped intelligence and spiritual ignorance.

To deny the existence of God is to deny your own existence. And only a fool will deny his or her own existence. That is the Holy Bible says, the fool says there is no God.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by trips(m): 9:49pm On May 28, 2006
how can peeps even consider doing such a thing
i believe the bible states that
the be not equally yoked wiv unbelievers
no matter attractive the lady is or the dude be
just have this at the back of your mind
since God is the father in law of all believing families,
the devil will be the unbelivers father and father in law.
just a thot!!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by emmie4j(m): 9:54pm On May 28, 2006
Tolerance means that I will never physically try to dissuade u from practising or not practising any faith. It does not mean that I have to accept u or want to be your friend for that matter. It means I can be nice to u but not neccessarily hang out with u. It means I have the freedom to say no to a relationship with u, if I prefer to be with someone who is of my faith. With tolerance comes freedom of choice, but because I choose not to date an atheist does not mean I don't tolerate them. On the flip side, it is the person who refuses to understand why I would rather date someone of my faith that is being intolerant!!!!!!!! of my personal choices
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 9:55pm On May 28, 2006
@trips:

Lol. That's kind of funny.

But you've probably got a point.

Things are not always what they appear to be.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Seun(m): 9:58pm On May 28, 2006
since God is the father in law of all believing families,
the devil will be the unbelivers father and father in law
Which is why Christians, having the same Father, must not marry each other: that will be incest!! cheesy
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 10:00pm On May 28, 2006
Seun:

Which is why Christians, having the same Father, must not marry each other: that will be incest!! cheesy

Cheesy!

God is the Father of Spirits, not flesh.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Seun(m): 10:05pm On May 28, 2006
Is spiritual incest not a greater abomination than physical incest? The spirit world is more real, you know! cheesy
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by IAH(f): 10:06pm On May 28, 2006
Seun:

IAH, if you marry a non-believing husband, he has to be tolerant.  Let us explore this issue of tolerance.

Does it mean he has to:
- Go to church with you from time to time?
- Let you take the children to church when they'll rather stay at home with him?
- Refrain from teaching the children about evolution or making them doubt the word of God?

It's possible to be tolerant when there are just two of you, but once you have children there'll be no more tolerance!

All this one na story. All I know is that I aint ditching someone who possesses those enviable qualities you listed above just because he doesn't believe God. Haaa No Way!!!

The only thing I can't tolerate is intolerance itself. I just hate it when people try to ridicule other people's beliefs. It's just not right.

About children,The children should be allowed their own free will to decide. Even God gave man his own free will to "choose whom ye shall serve" so why shouldn't children be allowed their own free will?
Forcing children to accept one's religious beliefs (or disbelief) does not work in the long run. No wonder we see children of Pastors going astray and children of non-religious people becoming staunch believers, children of Imams becoming Christians, etc.
As a child, I was exposed to different kinds of beliefs, but I chose the one makes the most sense to me!!

By the way, Nferyn is an atheist married to a Christian. I would like to hear some practical views. smiley
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 10:07pm On May 28, 2006
Seun:

Is spiritual incest not a greater abomination than physical incest? The spirit world is more real, you know! cheesy

Lol.

How did I know you were going to say that, Seun?

So you believe that the spiritual world is more real? Hmmm. . . .
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Oracle(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2006
No matter how loving, attractive, caring bla bla blah she is,
God is everything. Whoever doesnt believe in him is not in line with my ideas
so i CAN'T marry her
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 10:12pm On May 28, 2006
@Seun:

If you know that the spiritual world is real,  that means you also know that people's spirits do not get married; it is the flesh that is married.

As you probably also know, this is not because of incest (lol), but because spirits do not have gender, and marriage is essentially an institution to be fulfilled in the flesh.

Nice sense of humour you have!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by emmie4j(m): 10:41pm On May 28, 2006
IAH:

All this one na story. All I know is that I aint ditching someone who possesses those enviable qualities you listed above just because he doesn't believe God. Haaa No Way!!!

The only thing I can't tolerate is intolerance itself. I just hate it when people try to ridicule other people's beliefs. It's just not right.

About children,The children should be allowed their own free will to decide. Even God gave man his own free will to "choose whom ye shall serve" so why shouldn't children be allowed their own free will?
Forcing children to accept one's religious beliefs (or disbelief) does not work in the long run. No wonder we see children of Pastors going astray and children of non-religious people becoming staunch believers, children of Imams becoming Christians, etc.
As a child, I was exposed to different kinds of beliefs, but I chose the one makes the most sense to me!!

By the way, Nferyn is an atheist married to a Christian. I would like to hear some practical views. smiley

Good luck!!!!!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Oracle(m): 11:01pm On May 28, 2006
letz be honest with ourselves, a whole lot of us wants to get married to someone who is God fearing. Now u're offered a choice of marrying someone who doesn't even believe in God. it just doen't go
itz IMPOSSIBLE
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by bolex(m): 11:36pm On May 28, 2006
Ma mum made the greatest mistake in her life marrying a muslim

Now , that is how my family is so CRAP right now I kind of wish I was someone else

That answers the question

NO WAY

You will never always agree to anything not to talk of everything

If she was a christian - catholic

I can manage

But NOT A CHRISTIAN

God knows what's up

He knows better than to choose a non-christian as my soul mate

The thing is ,

If you marry someone who is not of your religion

It is either one of you converts each other in order to get a more intimate bonding

Or you keep to your faith and create BIGGER DISTANCE

Now , big distance in a marriage is more like DIVORCE

I actually have a muslim name but HECK NO

I deny myself being a muslim & I never have ma muslim name on ma passport or any of my certificates

I thank God I have EMMANUEL as my middle legal name everywhere I go

Your family is in for a gamble if you marry someone outside your religion

YOUR RELIGION IS YOUR WAY OF LIFE

So, marrying someone outside your way of life is practicaly playing :

SAMSON AND DELILAH

You loose your vision , your mission , your religion ( if possible ) , you culture and everything

CONFUSION SETS IN for your children as well

I hope no 1 is trying to bring incent into this

If I call my friend's uncle my father, I can of course marry my friend's sister

God is our father in the spirit and in truth

& We can marry anyone not related to us by direct blood

cool

That's ma 30th cent
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by IAH(f): 11:52pm On May 28, 2006
bolex:

If she was a christian - catholic

I can manage

You mean you would just manage a Catholic Christian? OMG! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by pearl2(m): 12:05am On May 29, 2006
@ SEUN, Tai Solarin didn't import his wife,he met her while he was abroad.And she's not German,but British if my memory serves me right(I read his autobiography years ago).
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by naijacutee(f): 12:22am On May 29, 2006
No I will not because I would want to pray together with my husband and I will want descisions to be made in lieu of God. The 'God factor' is one of the first things I look for in a man, so It's gotta be 'No', even if we got along so well. Marriage is not a one-day circus.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by nferyn(m): 12:27am On May 29, 2006
IAH:

I think you already said everything that needs to be said. Tolerance is key. I do not mock her beliefs and she doesn't expect me to sing along either wink

There was a potential problem with the children, but that has been diffused as she is of the opinion that religion should not be forced upon the children. I have no problem with her taking the children to church (I actually like to come along every now and then for the atmosphere and the couleur locale) and she doesn't mind me talking about my beliefs to my children. When they reach a certain age, they'll be smart t enough to make up their own mind.

One thing I need to make clear though, if your children are not immersed in a theistic environment, chances are slim they will become believers. My wife thinks otherwise, but I explained to her that the chance of the children browing up to be believers are very remote.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by nferyn(m): 12:30am On May 29, 2006
emmie4j:

Good luck!!!!!
Been together for almost 10 years and married for over 8 years. Still going strong. Get your prejudices out of your head, it clears the vision wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Drop Your Prayer Point Here. / God Hasn’t Told Me There’s Going To Be Election Next Year – Adeboye / Is The Biblical Cain The Son Of Lucifer Or The Son Of Adam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.