Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? (17415 Views)

Poll: He/she is your ideal soulmate but doesn't believe in God. Can you marry him/her?

Yes: 31% (31 votes)
No: 69% (69 votes)
This poll has ended

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / Can God Lead You To Marry Someone You Don't Love? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by LiquidMind(m): 12:44am On May 29, 2006
I don't have the time to convert any one to believe in my faith
So it is better for me to marry a person that believe in Yahweh like me,
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by kisha: 3:51am On May 29, 2006
Oh im new in the forum and this is rather an interesting topic.

oh im marrying anyone as long as he's got the qualities I desire in a mate and we both understand and can tolerate ourselves, then so it be, most important thing is he doesnt go to the extremes, infact I prefer relating more with people who are freethinkers to those who believe in the organised religion,

btw, any of those freethinkers, atheists and agnostics, send them way, tongue grin
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by my2cents(m): 3:53am On May 29, 2006
1 Corinthians 7:14 may help resolve any issues that any of you may have.

In the end, if the 2 parties love each other enough to get married, then in my opinion, they should do so. Of course, on the Judgement day, the unbeliever won't be saved by virtue of the fact that they were married to a believer.

Of course in todayz society, I would strongly suggest that the 2 parties discuss this prior to marriage. It goes beyond them - kids and how they are raised, colleagues, way of thinking, etc. This way, they don't end up being part of the divorce statistic. At least they both go into the marriage with both eyes wide open.

thatz my 2 cents
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by kisha: 3:54am On May 29, 2006
kisha:

Oh im new in the forum and this is rather an interesting topic.

oh im marrying anyone as long as he's got the qualities I desire in a mate and we both understand and can tolerate ourselves, then so it be, most important thing is he doesnt go to the extremes, infact I prefer relating more with people who are freethinkers to those who believe in the organised religion,

BTW, any of those freethinkers, atheists and agnostics, send them My way, tongue grin

sorry I had to quote myself here,

hmm is there an edit button please ? tnx
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by my2cents(m): 3:55am On May 29, 2006
kisha, therez a modify button tongue
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Rhea(f): 5:41am On May 29, 2006
Of all the things I would want to share with my hearthrob, my belief in God is top of that list. Hence it's a definite NO to marriage to an atheist.

Imagine a home without expressions like:

Thank God
Jesus
Let us pray
Allah be praised
If God wishes
By the grace of God

I guess an atheist can justify how someone could have escaped unscathed from a car crash that claimed the lives of 15 out of 16 passengers on the spot.

Luck?
Theory of crash test dummies?
Fate?

While I have nothing personal against atheists, I really believe that it's a matter of time before they start to believe.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nia: 6:37am On May 29, 2006
Hmnn, to be honest, it's hard to say, especially if I'm really into the guy. I'd like to think I'm very tolerant but I'd want to know why the guy decided to be an atheist, since most people believe in something. Then we'll take it from there.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by nferyn(m): 7:16am On May 29, 2006
Nia:

Hmnn, to be honest, it's hard to say, especially if I'm really into the guy. I'd like to think I'm very tolerant but I'd want to know why the guy decided to be an atheist, since most people believe in something. Then we'll take it from there.
Why must you think that atheists don't believe in anything? Atheists believe in lots of things, only not in the existence of a supreme being. What you believe in is not really a choice, but rather a consequece of what your life's experiences. I couldn't start believing in a god if I wanted to.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by baby4u2(f): 7:44am On May 29, 2006
nferyn:

I couldn't start believing in a god if I wanted to.

did u want to say this nferyn. "i could start believing in God if i wanted to".
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by emmie4j(m): 7:55am On May 29, 2006
nferyn:

Been together for almost 10 years and married for over 8 years. Still going strong. Get your prejudices out of your head, it clears the vision wink

Thats the problem with u liberal freaks.,,,,,,,,,when somebody disagrees with u, u label it prejudice,,,,,,,I actually think what is more offensive is u not respecting my choice not to be with an atheist. I dont hate atheists,,,,,,,but I also dont want to marry them,,,,,,,,,,thanks but NO!!!!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by nferyn(m): 8:19am On May 29, 2006
baby4u2:

did u want to say this nferyn. "i could start believing in God if i wanted to".
No, I meant exactly what I said. belief is something you cannot command. You don't choose to believe something, either you do or you don't
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by nferyn(m): 8:26am On May 29, 2006
emmie4j:

nferyn link=topic=13880.msg386408#msg386408 date=1148859019:

Been together for almost 10 years and married for over 8 years. Still going strong. Get your prejudices out of your head, it clears the vision wink
Thats the problem with u liberal freaks.,,,,,,,,,when somebody disagrees with u, u label it prejudice,,,,,,,I actually think what is more offensive is u not respecting my choice not to be with an atheist. I don't hate atheists,,,,,,,but I also don't want to marry them,,,,,,,,,,thanks but NO!!!!
1. It was meant as a friendly jab
2. You were the one implying that successful marriages between atheists and christians were not very likely to succeed with your Good luck reply
3. That insult was unnecessary. I am not a freak by any standard
4. Nowhere did I imply that you had to marry an atheist, I was only pointing out that such marriages do exist, can be successful and happy.
5. The idea that marriages between atheists and christians are doomed [b]is [/b]a prejudice, no matter how you put it
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by mlksbaby(f): 8:31am On May 29, 2006
nferyn,

nferyn:

You don't choose to believe something, either you do or you don't

I beg to disagree with that statement, unless you meant it as another friendly jab. lol.

Anyway, either way, belief is a choice. It's true that belief is something one cannot command; but you choose to believe something - and if you don't, it's also a choice because you choose not to believe it as well. Both ways, a person's choice is reflected in their believing or not believing something.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Nia: 8:39am On May 29, 2006
nferyn:

Why must you think that atheists don't believe in anything? Atheists believe in lots of things, only not in the existence of a supreme being. What you believe in is not really a choice, but rather a consequece of what your life's experiences. I couldn't start believing in a god if I wanted to.
I guess I should express myself clearer, LOL. I didn't mean that atheists don't believe in anything but that most people believe in some form of higher power.

nferyn:

What you believe in is not really a choice, but rather a consequece of what your life's experiences.
I understand what you're saying and I agree with you, but I think we still have a choice in the matter. Based on some of my past experiences, I'd say I have a fair enough justification not to believe in a deity.  Besides being used many times by supposed believers and being scared into believing in God since I could understand my language, ("every wrong thing you do will send you to hell", they tell me  undecided)
I've also encountered instances that almost convinced me that God couldn't exists. I know people who just hate religion because they've been abused by it in one form or the other. And who can blame them? When something oppresses you or doesn't make sense to you, then you have to turn away from it. When it's all said and done, though, I'd say it would be unfair for me to disregard the instances in my life where God has shown me that he or she exists. I can say that because, like you said, I have those positive experiences. My approach to religion is to define my own beliefs and disregard those that seem too flawed or hard to swallow, or just plain oppresive. I guess you can call it a case of not throwing out the baby with the dirty water, so to speak, LOL.
But though we are influenced by personal experiences, ultimately, what we do with them is our choice.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by favourwal(f): 9:42am On May 29, 2006
Marriage is such a difficult issue to rationalize. Sometimes it confuses me a whole lot.

So for now I refuse to discuss. And besides there are so many people hooked on God who just do not give a heck about their partner. All this God this God that issue is just used by people to confuse and manipulate others.

I think i'll defnitely go with hot-angel. Do my best and leave the rest to God.

The rest is left for him and his God to decide.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by hydee0k(m): 10:07am On May 29, 2006
favourwal:

Marriage is such a difficult issue to rationalize. Sometimes it confuses me a whole lot.

So for now I refuse to discuss. And besides there are so many people hooked on God who just do not give a heck about their partner. All this God this God that issue is just used by people to confuse and manipulate others.

I think i'll defnitely go with hot-angel. Do my best and leave the rest to God.

The rest is left for him and his God to decide.
i bet you still have the gult to decide, is going to stay with you in the same house and not with God
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by otokx(m): 11:24am On May 29, 2006
no
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Babybee(f): 11:36am On May 29, 2006
no
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by KAG: 11:52am On May 29, 2006
Yes tongue. I could also marry someone who believes in a God or Gods. It's mostly fundamentalists on both sides that tend to have problems associating with those of a differing belief (or non-belief).
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 12:26pm On May 29, 2006
KAG:

Yes tongue. I could also marry someone who believes in a God or Gods. It's mostly fundamentalists on both sides that tend to have problems associating with those of a differing belief (or non-belief).

No one's talking about association here, my good friend. Marriage is not just any kind of 'association'.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by mukina2: 12:29pm On May 29, 2006
yes my king marriage is an institution of love,respect,harmony caring and tolerance
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 12:36pm On May 29, 2006
Princess!

I hope you had a good night.

It is not wise for a man to embark on a journey for which he is not adequately prepared.

You can force a horse to the stream, but you cannot force it to drink.

My point?

It is an act of will, for which you should be prepared to ultimately accept responsibility.

Several years down the line. . . it will be time to review your decision.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by ziggi(m): 12:39pm On May 29, 2006
u can run but u cant hide from love.
this is because love has no cover nor blanket shocked grin
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Genial(m): 12:42pm On May 29, 2006
ziggi:

u can run but u can't hide from love.
this is because love has no cover nor blanket shocked grin

Yes, my friend.

But love is ultimately an act of will. Can I force you to love me if you do not wish to?

Is 'love' really blind? Or is it a case of myopia and selective amnesia?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by iice(f): 4:46pm On May 29, 2006
Yea i cud, wink
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Ka: 5:58pm On May 29, 2006
It seems as if the girls are much more tolerant and liberal on this topic than the men. Even those girls who have said 'no' have qualified this quite clearly by expressing their concerns about whether such a person would be respectful and tolerant of their beliefs (a totally understandable view which I support).
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by KAG: 6:20pm On May 29, 2006
Genial:

No one's talking about association here, my good friend. Marriage is not just any kind of 'association'.

Semantics. Feel free to substitute association with marriage, if it makes you feel better.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by goodguy(m): 6:48pm On May 29, 2006
Seun:
Suppose you meet someone who is so sweet, so loving, so gentle, so understanding, so caring, so attractive, so charming, etc. Someone who is everything you have ever wanted in a husband or wife. But that person just doesn't believe in God and despite all your efforts cannot believe (or refuses to believe).

Why not? As far as she's so understanding, so loving, so gentle, so caring, so attractive, we love each other, and She's EVERYTHING I want in a wife, nothing stops me from getting married to her.
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Rottweiler(m): 7:57pm On May 29, 2006
It is not advisable to marry someone who doesn't believe in God because the chances of the person polluting your faith is high. They say if you want to catch a monkey, you behave like one but the chances of you becoming a monkey in the process is high.
Darkness and Light don't mix! I know a village in Benin Republic where the chief priest of the SHRINE OF THE PYTHONS is also a member of the Catholic church. And funny enough, the catholic church is situated opposite the shrine. The village is called OUIDAH (pronounced weedah). To me, the people are only deceiving themselves!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by nferyn(m): 10:00pm On May 29, 2006
Rottweiler,
Animism has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism. It is as different from atheism as Islam or Christianity.
Anyway, if your faith is unable to withstand skepticism, how weak must it be?
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by Rottweiler(m): 10:14pm On May 29, 2006
nferyn:

Rottweiler,
Animism has nothing whatsoever to do with atheism. It is as different from atheism as Islam or Christianity.
Anyway, if your faith is unable to withstand skepticism, how weak must it be?

It's just a matter of nomenclature. Animism, atheism, pythomism, pussism, they are all the same. When you worship any god other than God then it means you don't believe in him. And by the way, what has skepticism got to do with this issue? Some of you guys, the problem is that because you are opportuned to be based outside your motherland, you think where you are is equivalent to Heaven and as such, there ain't no Heaven. Please open your eyes and your mind!
Re: Can You Marry Someone Who Doesn't Believe In God? by KAG: 10:42pm On May 29, 2006
Rottweiler:

It's just a matter of nomenclature. Animism, atheism, pythomism, pussism, they are all the same.

I have no idea what the ones after atheism are, but I'm pretty sure they are not the same.

When you worship any god other than God then it means you don't believe in him.

Is that like when you worship any other God than [the Zoroastrian] God, then it means you don't believe in him? Reads like a duh! moment.

And by the way, what has skepticism got to do with this issue? Some of you guys, the problem is that because you are opportuned to be based outside your motherland, you think where you are is equivalent to Heaven and as such, there ain't no Heaven. Please open your eyes and your mind!

Indeed!h

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Drop Your Prayer Point Here. / God Hasn’t Told Me There’s Going To Be Election Next Year – Adeboye / Is The Biblical Cain The Son Of Lucifer Or The Son Of Adam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.