Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge (11794 Views)

Stay Away From Our State – Enugu Government Warns MASSOB, IPOB / Atlantic Ocean Surge Kills 16 In Lagos (Pictures) / Ocean Surge Sacks 1000: Lagos Begs FG For Financial Aid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Controversy: 6:23am On Aug 09, 2013
Kazeem Ugbodaga and Jamiu Yisa

The Lagos State Government has warned on an imminent Atlantic Ocean surge at Lekki beaches, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria and appealed to residents living close to the beaches to evacuate to avert loss of lives.

The warning came after a surge was experienced Thursday morning at the Lekki Beach area, with water flooding areas around the beach and offices such as the Silverbird TV.

The government said those living Lekki, Alpha and Elugushi Beaches should vacate now as serious ocean surge was imminent.

General Manager/Chief Executive Officer, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu disclosed that tidal waves began at 3.00 am and lasted till 6.00 am on Thursday (today), saying a repeat of the wave might cause damages in the beaches environ.

“For now, those residing along the shore should stay off. Those who are close to the sea can confirm that there are times the tidal waves are on the increase but the truth is that scientifically things are changing; climate change and other environmental factors.

“Those who live in Lekki, Alpha and Elugushi Beaches and their environs should vacate the area now because of the likelihood of the surge which could lead to severe flooding,” he warned.

Oke-Osanyintolu appealed to those going for picnic in this Eid-ll-Fitr celebration to exercise caution, saying that accidents and emergencies that occurred mostly during period such as this, were attributed to the nonchalant attitude and carelessness of the people during holiday celebration.

He warned fun seekers not to go near the beaches to avert disaster, urging parents and guardians to keep a close watch on the movement of their wards to relaxation and recreation areas.

Oke-Osanyintolu said LASEMA, Lagos State Fire and Safety Service, Lagos State Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS), Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Nigerian Police Force and all the other agencies that were important in the management of emergencies in the State had been put on red alert to secure and protect the lives and properties of the people leaving and doing business in the State.
http://.mobi/output.php?id=10999
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Godsun2013(m): 10:54am On Aug 09, 2013
Today good for me oooo... First to comment again... Dancing frank edwars again

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by victorazy(m): 10:54am On Aug 09, 2013
Ooohhh! Dis goat headed Godsun boy"no offence" just overtook my car and now am 2nd embarassed singing Iwe!.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by horlabiyi(m): 10:55am On Aug 09, 2013
eko oni baje
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 09, 2013
Good for fishermen====>Bad for property owners

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by IGBOSON1: 10:57am On Aug 09, 2013
Ocean surge?......no wahala! We can absorb the population in Aba.....so long as they respect the laws and traditions of our land! wink

PS- Just kidding! wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 09, 2013
These locations are choice areas and are freaking expensive... So we are just to leave it all behind...? #vanityINDEED

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by colombiana: 10:58am On Aug 09, 2013
When una dey go form artificial island wen poor ple nor fit afford where dem come expect the water to go. Very soon u lagosians won't be able to afford anything in lagos leaving for the super rich men from the south, east and north

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Dexpro: 10:58am On Aug 09, 2013
All Lagosians.... Beware of Tsunami!
God Help us

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 10:59am On Aug 09, 2013
Sometimes, you wonder why people living in sango, ijoko, mushin, bariga are happier than people living in banana island, lekki etc

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by DeCleff(m): 11:00am On Aug 09, 2013
U see why i .........................?
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 09, 2013
I witnessed it yesterday friends......
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 09, 2013
They better take the warning serious
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by free2ryhme: 11:13am On Aug 09, 2013
everybody wey dey rush go build house for lekki

hope say una dey read ooo

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by PECO4KING(m): 11:17am On Aug 09, 2013
Elugushi is not loading for now undecided
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by collynzo2(m): 11:19am On Aug 09, 2013
solidbroda: Sometimes, you wonder why people living in sango, ijoko, mushin, bariga are happier than people living in banana island, lekki etc
says who?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by propzncribz: 11:20am On Aug 09, 2013
Alpha beach

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by propzncribz: 11:21am On Aug 09, 2013
Alpha beach right now. More pics coming

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by xykms101: 11:24am On Aug 09, 2013
Fashola wan use style deport people from dat area... Lolz!
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 09, 2013
I wiil love a natural disaster of this nature to occur in the east. I have for a long time been propagating the gospel of do unto others, cautioning the igbos to be careful what they wish on northerners anytime they run their smelly mouths as they jubilate, wishing all sorts of evil on the north, once the "goodnews" of boko haram bomb blast filters in, but to no avail. I guess something like this would've taught them how to behave by drowning their ugly heads.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by xykms101: 11:26am On Aug 09, 2013
propzncribz: Alpha beach right now. More pics coming
shattap! Which alpha beach? Choi! nlanders can lie. Alpha beach wey i bounce diz morning.
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 09, 2013
a word should be enough for the wise
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by propzncribz: 11:30am On Aug 09, 2013
More pics...

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Kairoseki77: 11:31am On Aug 09, 2013
Hope everyone stays safe. Especially the destitutes in Mokoko.

The touts don't want to be deported by the government, so the ocean is coming to complete the job.

[img]http://lurgnetwork.files./2009/08/makoko_home-mapplet.jpg[/img]
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by propzncribz: 11:32am On Aug 09, 2013
xykms101: shattap! Which alpha beach? Choi! nlanders can lie. Alpha beach wey i bounce diz morning.

There's a time to speak and a time to shut the hell up
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by spade: 11:34am On Aug 09, 2013
And I feel that Eko Atlantic City even helps aggravate the situation for the peeps on the other side.
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 09, 2013
Don Demu: I wiil love a natural disaster of this nature to occur in the east. I have for a long time been propagating the gospel of do unto others, cautioning the igbos to be careful what they wish on northerners anytime they run their smelly mouths as they jubilate, wishing all sorts of evil on the north, once the "goodnews" of boko haram bomb blast filters in, but to no avail. I guess something like this would've taught them how to behave by drowning their ugly heads.
: you are either insane or a deluded idiot that just escaped yaba mental hospital!!! Get help

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by ceejay80s(m): 11:35am On Aug 09, 2013
Na so dem talk about heavy rain fall in lagos, dat any body living in canal area should run 4 their lives, and till 2day nothing done happen
Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by ceejay80s(m): 11:38am On Aug 09, 2013
Don Demu: I wiil love a natural disaster of this nature to occur in the east. I have for a long time been propagating the gospel of do unto others, cautioning the igbos to be careful what they wish on northerners anytime they run their smelly mouths as they jubilate, wishing all sorts of evil on the north, once the "goodnews" of boko haram bomb blast filters in, but to no avail. I guess something like this would've taught them how to behave by drowning their ugly heads.
ur username says it all
DONDI MUMU

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Kairoseki77: 11:41am On Aug 09, 2013
spade: And I feel that Eko Atlantic City even helps aggravate the situation for the peeps on the other side.

Eko Atlantic is designed to do the exact opposite.

For hundreds of years, Lagos was protected from flooding by high sand in the waters near Bar Beach. The British destroyed this natural barrier to make room for a port. After the high sand was removed, erosion ate away at the coastline, causing regular flooding. Without intervention, the erosion was going to drag all of Lagos under the Atlantic.

Part of Eko Atlantic is the "Great Wall of Lagos" that acts as a new barrier against the ocean, and is a replacement for the high sand. It is designed to reverse the damage the British did and protect Lagos from sinking beneath the sea.

According to the LASG, it has been working. The flooding has stopped getting worse each year. Once the great wall is complete, and the sand in Eko Atlantic is filled in, regular flooding will be a thing of the past.

[img]http://cdn.mg.co.za/crop/content/images/2013/03/05/000_Par7481806.jpg/610x350/[/img]
[img]http://www.svd.se/multimedia/dynamic/00795/Lagos-ekoatlantic-1_795399c.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Government Warns On Ocean Surge by Clemzy16(m): 11:47am On Aug 09, 2013
"eko oni baje o, eko oni baje, eko oni baje o, eko oni baje, eko oni baje o, eko oni baje, eko oni baje o, baje, *singing*"

"make una no vex, i jst com show my face"

RUNS OUT OF THREAD

™ƺƔcιεмεηт®

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Buhari Declares Open International Association Of Ports And Habours / Peter Obi Campaigns In Jigawa Today, 30 January, 2023 / Re-development Of N29B Ketu-Ikorodu Road Underway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.