Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,836 members, 7,837,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe (20906 Views)

The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe / The Collapse Of Lagos–abeokuta Expressway And The Lagos Intervention / FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates On Lagos-ibadan Expressway And River Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 2:40pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I love it when we compare Apple to Apple . . .Lol.
Those European nations have great transport network system that people dont have to always drive all over the place . . But in Nigeria, we have almost nothing, people have to almost drive to go into their own bathrooms . . .
Bro, you said the European countries have great transport network yet they had to adjust road mappings to accommodate Nigerian churches.

Now, imagine the state of things in a country like Naija.

These churches need to be considerate.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Infomizer(m): 2:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
Tis a lugubrious situation, though i feel the onus lies on both parties (government and faith-based institutions). The govt. should expand the road (already) and worship centres should device a plan to mitigate the disturbing effects of thier programs.The damage has been done, thanks to a sick town planning system as already opined. Na to push for palliatives remain, or the institutions should construct thier own road network (if faith can move mountains, is it roads that will prove stubborn?) wink
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I love it when we compare Apple to Apple . . .Lol.
Those European nations have great transport network system that people dont have to always drive all over the place . . But in Nigeria, we have almost nothing, people have to almost drive to go into their own bathrooms . . .

Joe Igbokwe has proposed a moratorium on church traffic during the period of road expansion. I have also suggested using tele-conferencing solutions. Assuming you have enough regard for the long-suffering commuters who ply that route; what do you suggest @Fhemmmy?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ola one:
Bro, you said the European countries have great transport network yet they had to adjust road mappings to accommodate Nigerian churches.

That's exactly my point.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 2:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ola one:

Considerate? you dont think that was considerate, you think some of them cant afford to build such churches in the mainland or the highland Lagos, but they relocate them into the bush of Ibadan - Lagos expressway and yet you want them to be considerate, they are not even building on the highway, are they? in the Bush and you talking of consideration?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Joe Igbokwe has proposed a moratorium on church traffic during the period of road expansion. I have also suggested using tele-conferencing solutions. Assuming you have enough regard for the long-suffering commuters who ply that route; what do you suggest @Fhemmmy?

Now i know you are joking, teleconference for revival? Lol
Besides, do you know that most of the people there are actually going there for help and to praise God, cos that is all they have left in them, Imagine Nigerian society without them as well as mosque.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 2:49pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Considerate? you dont think that was considerate, you think some of them cant afford to build such churches in the mainland or the highland Lagos, but they relocate them into the bush of Ibadan - Lagos expressway and yet you want them to be considerate, they are not even building on the highway, are they? in the Bush and you talking of consideration?
Okay. Let's assume they have been very considerate and the government is willing to modernize the road, what about maintenance?

They should be taxed one way or the other. The government must give them flyovers, etc and the government must earn something back. Well, in form of taxes.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 2:50pm On Aug 13, 2013
1) Appropriate car parks (multi-level car parks if possible). The state and local governments should have assessed the capacity of the auditoriums and ensured that they have adequate parking facilities before granting planning permission.

2) Expand the road, making it a ten lane expressway with service lanes (like Ikorodu Road). (This is the job of the federal government)

3) Alternative routes (Ikorodu-Shagamu, etc) need to be rehabilitated.

4) Rail, Rail, Rail. The high speed rail line to Abuja (and another to Onitsha) need to be constructed.

5) The LRT line (I think it's the Purple Line) to Redeem Camp should also be constructed.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Sibrah: 2:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
The Government should step up here. While the Churches can decide to ease the burden of the government by freeing up area incoming traffic share with the the public traffic on the short run, the government should take full responsibility as they approved such structures in the first place. Another thing the church can do is to provide special buses that will be used to bring in members coming in from Lagos.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Tolexander: 2:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

With or without those churches, that is a heavily used road that leads to other states out of Lagos, the road ought to be widened and make sure it is not a death trap . . .
we all know the situation of the road when there isn't any church activity at the RCCG and other indicted churches and the situation of the road when they are having their activities.
You will prefer not to travel at all when there is redemption camp time. This makes it very obvious that the contribution of the churches on the road is heavy, hence my claim for an heavy tax for the expansion and maintainance of the road.

A church that has a contribution to the traffic of a road should have a contribution in its maintainance!
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by debosky(m): 2:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
naptu2: 1) Appropriate car parks (multi-level car parks if possible). The state and local governments should have assessed the capacity of the auditoriums and ensured that they have adequate parking facilities before granting planning permission.

This is the key issue - the impacts should have been assessed before permitting development, not the current practice of develop first and deal with consequences (more like live with them) afterwards. There is talk of even expanding RCCG's camp capacity, but no talk of increased provision to reduce the impacts on highway users.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 2:55pm On Aug 13, 2013
Tolexander: we all know the situation of the road when there isn't any church activity at the RCCG and other indicted churches and the situation of the road when they are having their activities.
You will prefer not to travel at all when there is redemption camp time. This makes it very obvious that the contribution of the churches on the road are heavy, hence my claim for an heavy tax for the expansion and maintainance of the road.

That is not really true, Sir . . . Now we have so many people that work in Lagos that reside in Ibadan unlike before when they are able to afford to reside within Lagos, there was never Mowe and the rest of those new settlement around that axis, so you cant compare the traffic of then to the traffic of Now. tongue
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 2:57pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ola one:
Okay. Let's assume they have been very considerate and the government is willing to modernize the road, what about maintenance?

They should be taxed one way or the other. The government must give them flyovers, etc and the government must earn something back. Well, in form of taxes.

If the govt do all that and widen the road, how do u tax a church all cos they have members that drive that road to go to their place of worship . . .Lol, i am sure if they do a good job and not grade and paint black like they always do, it will be better, remember those church members are already paying taxes from their place of work and those that has no work and going their for prayers for God's blessing, how do you tax those?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by cyril10(m): 2:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Before now, Lagos-Ibadan exp way was full of bushes and accidents occur there frequently unlike now that the whole place has been developed due to the presence of these churches, you now see companies, schools and residential buildings all over.
Government should expand the road urgently to accommodate the fast development of that road. We cant shy away from development because of its attendant difficulties that we may experience as a result of that.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Now i know you are joking, teleconference for revival? Lol
Besides, do you know that most of the people there are actually going there for help and to praise God, cos that is all they have left in them, Imagine Nigerian society without them as well as mosque.

The last time I checked God voiced no objections to the use of technology. grin

Do I take you have no meaningful solutions to proffer to the recurring cases of missed appointments; increased levels of stress; needless loss of lives, and much more - which remains the lot of Nigerians, while we wait for the road expansion to be taken to completion?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 13, 2013
debosky:

This is the key issue - the impacts should have been assessed before permitting development, not the current practice of develop first and deal with consequences (more like live with them) afterwards. There is talk of even expanding RCCG's camp capacity, but no talk of increased provision to reduce the impacts on highway users.

Mind boggling - that one.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Ajibam: 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
Gat ntn say bt NOTED!!!
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
The government is responsible for providing the long term solutions, while the churches can also help with short term solutions.

The LRT Orange Line (Marina-Redeemed Camp) and the Purple Line (Ojo-Redeemed Camp) will ultimately be the most important solution. I believe that, no matter how wide you make the expressway, you will still need to implement railway solutions to the problem.

The churches can also help out by decentralising their activities. Most of them have branches across Lagos and the ministers can decide to visit these branches in turn, so that we don't have a situation where everybody needs to descend on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 3:06pm On Aug 13, 2013
Imagine how IGBOKWE justified NASFAT cos his APC bosses are muslims. I foresee doom if APC take over power.
1) The will legalize child marriage
2)The will persecute the churches
3)Nigeria will be Islamized
4)Sharia law will be forced on us all.
5)Islamic banking will be order of the day.

We are watching.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by cold(m): 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
Seriously though,why're religious folks so inconsiderate? They put up loudspeakers in residential areas & make life a living hell for residents. Scream all night & keep hardworking folks awake while they themselves go to bed in the day. Block major roads all in the name of prayers to the detriment of other commuters & you dare not speak out lest you be accused of persecution.
So where is the love for humanity? Where's the much touted humility? Where's the wisdom of discernment of right & wrong? Where's the incentive to become one? It's a sorry state of affairs

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
[quote
author=Sunnynwa]Joe IGBO kwe, those churches are headed by your
hosts and you as a guest should not tell the host what to do in his
land.[/quote]

U hav such LOW self esteem and HIGH insecurities.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
Dominiquez: Imagine how IGBOKWE justified NASFAT cos his APC bosses are muslims. I foresee doom if APC take over power.
1) The will legalize child marriage
2)The will persecute the churches
3)Nigeria will be Islamized
4)Sharia law will be forced on us all.
5)Islamic banking will be order of the day.

We are watching.

How is this post relevant to the subject at hand?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by debosky(m): 3:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
naptu2: The government is responsible for providing the long term solutions, while the churches can also help with short term solutions.

The LRT Orange Line (Marina-Redeemed Camp) and the Purple Line (Ojo-Redeemed Camp) will ultimately be the most important solution. I believe that, no matter how wide you make the expressway, you will still need to implement railway solutions to the problem.

The churches can also help out by decentralising their activities. Most of them have branches across Lagos and the ministers can decide to visit these branches in turn, so that we don't have a situation where everybody needs to descend on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Agreed, but given the government's inability to provide solutions (at least promptly) it should compel the churches (which are private entities by nature) to limit impacts on other highway users.

For example - prohibit/limit the number of private vehicles that can access the camp, and or levy a toll on those entering the various camps, say 1,000 per vehicle. It may not solve the problem, but it will reduce the vehicular traffic. Do this in conjunction with strict limitations on parking and numerous towing vehicles to remove offenders.

Force the churches to use mass transit buses to transport their members from individual church locations to the camp - this alone will reduce the number of vehicles by over 50%.

For ordinary football games with 50-60,000 attendees, vehicular traffic is highly discouraged, not to mention the millions that descend on these camps.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 3:13pm On Aug 13, 2013
eGuerrilla:

The last time I checked God voiced no objections to the use of technology. grin

Do I take you have no meaningful solutions to proffer to the recurring cases of missed appointments; increased levels of stress; needless loss of lives, and much more - which remains the lot of Nigerians, while we wait for the road expansion to be taken to completion?

I have never been to those redemption camps oh, but i heard they did a good job and well organized in there, maybe it time for the govt to ask for help from those that could do it . . .Lol
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by fuke(m): 3:17pm On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

The question is did they build the church on the road? Lagos-Ibadan road ought to be dualized to at lease accommodate 10 vehicles on each lane and ensure that all vehicles veering to these churches or whatever maintain a single lane...Where else should they locate this churches? I wish Joe Igbokwe proffered a solution in his write up. It's simply the failure of the government to live upto its responsibility and they should be held responsible for the sufferings and death of Nigerians on that road.

So they should be inflicting pains on millions until the road is expanded.

With all the churches, our economy was still written off AFDB.

Igbokwe has proffered solution. Let them stop the nonsense
and allow the branches to do the worshiping and praise singing.

God does not inflict pains on people.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by delors(m): 3:19pm On Aug 13, 2013
Tolexander: All these churches should be heavily taxed so as to realise the resources that will be use to construct new roads and the maintainance since they are one of the major users of the road.
True. that's one very good measure.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naijaswag1: 3:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
The name Joe Igbokwe attracted me to this post. Whom the gods want to kill they make him go mad. This is a man that has been in the news because of a gang up against his brothers. This is a real efulefu. Now he has taken his battle against the churches. CAN should reply him, I am very confident that the CAN president who is ever vibrant will have something good to say to him.

I remember reading Awolowo's Awo where the gods fought for themselves by killing a man who killed fishes in a certain River. An attack on churches is an attack on God. God will fight the war himself.

The last time I travelled from Lagos, the president was commissioning the construction of this same road at Sagamu interchange. Am sure Joe should be aware of that. Or is it just the hypocrisy of being in another party which is not the ruling party that has blinded his eyes or made him deaf to read or hear about the awarded contract on the news...

Joe Igbokwe, I weep for you.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Tolexander: 3:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is not really true, Sir . . . Now we have so many people that work in Lagos that reside in Ibadan unlike before when they are able to afford to reside within Lagos, there was never Mowe and the rest of those new settlement around that axis, so you cant compare the traffic of then to the traffic of Now. tongue
My brother and his wife once
slept on Lagos-Ibadan
expressway as a result of
Redeemed Camp Holy Ghost
Night programme after a trip to
Abeokuta. Few years back when
members of NAFSAT did a night
programme, commuters paid a
heavy price on that road so much
that NAFSAT took pages on
national newspapers to
apologize to Nigerians. Millions of
Nigerians have tales of woes to
tell in the last 20 years on Lagos-
Ibadan expressway.

Millions of Nigerians
have suffered untold
hardships and pains
since the early 90s when
Churches started relocating to
Lagos-Ibadan expressway. The
late General AbduKareem Adisa
once drove to the Redeemed
Camp to complain that the
Church must find a way to
address this man-made problem
but all to no avail. More than 20
years after the visit, Churches,
companies, schools, universities
etc have been relocating to
Lagos-Ibadan expressway in
droves. This is a road that was
built in 1974 and it has remained
same for 40years. A road
suffering untold pressure from
heavy traffic that it has become
crate ridden and a death trap, yet
pentecoastal chruches struggle
to add to the pressure of the
road by relocating to the road.
What is the motive for this
predilection to be sited on the
Expressway?

like you said it is a lie. Why does Joe Igbokwe have to lament? Why did Abdulkareem Adisa have to drive to the camp to tell them to find something to do to it?
Why do many nigerians plying the road at the time these camps are held lamenting the impact of the religious activities on the traffic?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by mickyarams: 3:29pm On Aug 13, 2013
In civilized countries, places of worship and social gatherings such as pubs clubs etc.... has to go through stringent planning process from the local council before they are allowed to build anything. This was the reason why Winners chapel and other African churches are struggling to find a big place of worship in the Uk because of the extra traffic and noise they will cause to the local residents. Last time I was in Nigeria, I stayed with a relative that lives on a street that has more than 10 churches and about 3 mosques. People can't sleep well because of the noise blasting through outdoor speakers from countless night vigils, and when the churches finish in the morning, the mosques will start their own noise at about 5am, the whole thing is just complete madness.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by charleff512(m): 3:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
Churches,mosques and faith-based organisations need camps to retreat and pray to God away from the bustling of the city
The churches meant well by going to these places which were bush and forests some ten years ago non of them thought they will have such massive crowd in years to come
the problem here is refusal of OPIC who gave out most of the land to monitor how churches were built and failure of government to maintain infrastructure in those places.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
AjanleKoko: It's a tough one sha.
The majority of Nigerians have voted for church as their major preoccupation. And it's not like the churches are building on the roads itself. You could have built a major shopping mall or another Alaba market on that axis, and it would generate the same amount of traffic. What would you do then, close the market?

The government should just do what they should as government - charge the church occupants some sort of land use charge or tax, and use the revenues to expand the rods, build flyovers or something that can provide some sort of escape. Or even build alternative routes. You can't penalize people for doing church if they choose to. Just make them pay one way or another.

Interestingly, Igbokwe is an APC chieftain, and those are the two states in power in Lagos and Ogun. So he and his fellow politicians should put their thinking caps on. Shikena undecided

The solution to the problem on Lagos Ibadan expressway is very simple. it just amazes me that RCCG, MFM, NASFAT et al have been either unimaginative or reluctant to implement common sense solutions to the problem. They can very easily:

1) construct service lanes on their property on both sides of the expressway. They own the land where the main camps are and the parking lots on the other side of the expressway. They can easily construct service lanes that will encroach on their main camp land itself and opposite parking lots. People coming to the camp would have merged into the service lanes miles ahead thereby freeing the main expressway for travelers going to their various destinations. A model they can follow is the Apapa Oshodi expressway with service lanes where people can turn into other roads they wish off the expressway without disrupting the main expressway.

2) Alternatively, construct a flyover on the Lagos-bound side of the expressway that detours like a banana directly into the main camps. Construct another banana flyover on the Ibadan-bound side of the expressway that detours directly into the main camps. Both flyovers can then merge together in the camp grounds into parking lots. It is unacceptable for cars to be slowing down and turning into the main camps or parking lots on a MAJOR INTERSTATE EXPRESSWAY. They can also construct a banana flyover that cars can use from inside the camp and then merge it to a service lane on the Lagos-bound side of the expressway. Again no disruption of traffic on the main Lagos-bound side of expressway.

3) Construct pedestrian bridges or underground crossings in front of their main camps so that people can use those to cross from one side of the expressway to the other side. It is unacceptable that the church's traffic department will stop cars on a MAJOR EXPRESSWAY so that people can cross the road. Why cant they construct pedestrian bridges for crying out loud? Its so straightforward and simple.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by deeptesting(m): 3:33pm On Aug 13, 2013
fuke:

So they should be inflicting pains on millions until the road is expanded.

With all the churches, our economy was still written off AFDB.

Igbokwe has proffered solution. Let them stop the nonsense
and allow the branches to do the worshiping and praise singing.

God does not inflict pains on people.

It would be reasonable to vent your anger on the authorities that failed to carry out the environmental impact assessment test of the church on that road before approving the plan of the church project...My friend I am not holding brief for the church but what you are seeing on that road is the result of having slowpokes in position of authority...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Moshood Abiola's 84th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Buhari Wants Osinbajo, Others To Tackle Crude Oil Theft In The Niger Delta / Arise TV Presidential Debate: Dino Melaye Denies Apologising To Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.