Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,598 members, 7,840,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe (20911 Views)

The Truth About The Demolition Of Owonifari Market At Oshodi Lagos - Joe Igbokwe / The Collapse Of Lagos–abeokuta Expressway And The Lagos Intervention / FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates On Lagos-ibadan Expressway And River Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by vanitty: 6:27pm On Aug 13, 2013
Crap, please take religion out of this. Useless government we have.

Any time there is a football match, concert or whatever happening lets say for example at Wembley park or race or whatever they dream up, the TFL takes responsibility and ensure there are plans put in place.
Will you tell Rihanna, Chelsea or whoever to arrange alternative transport for their fans!

That is why Nigeria is in that mess it is, the responsibilities should be put FIRMLY where it belongs. The Government. No two ways about it.

The government knows without fail, that there is always problem on that road every first Friday. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE ABOUT IT?
The road and ensuring the safety of it, is the TOTAL responsibility of the state, afterall the drivers on the said roads are her citizens, even if they don't pay road tax, the stupid amount of money collected by the same government (police) says something!

The organisations are already there, they paid for that rights, They are not "renting" so can't be chased away like KICC and the likes. They may be their forever and a day!

Any solution offered by any organisation on that expressway that paid for the right to be there is totally out of goodwill.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by occam(m): 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2013
vanitty: Crap, please take religion out of this. Useless government we have.

Any time there is a football match, concert or whatever happening lets say for example at Wembley park or race or whatever they dream up, the TFL takes responsibility and ensure there are plans put in place.
Will you tell Rihanna, Chelsea or whoever to arrange alternative transport for their fans!

That is why Nigeria is in that mess it is, the responsibilities should be put FIRMLY where it belongs. The Government. No two ways about it.

The government knows without fail, that there is always problem on that road every first Friday. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE ABOUT IT?
The road and ensuring the safety of it, is the TOTAL responsibility of the state, afterall the drivers on the said roads are her citizens, even if they don't pay road tax, the stupid amount of money collected by the same government (police) says something!

The organisations are already there, they paid for that rights, They are not "renting" so can't be chased away like KICC and the likes. They may be their forever and a day!

Any solution offered by any organisation on that expressway that paid for the right to be there is totally out of goodwill.

Great talk bro! The Ogere trailer park is also fast becoming a nightmare for motorist on that same expressway. I've spent up to 1 hour in traffic in that place. Lack of enforcement is so apparent there.

Again, result of lack of planning and vision by elected leaders. A dual carriageway called expressway. How many billions has been budgeted to expand that expressway? We're just hearing billions of naira but pothole keep expanding. Don't they know that with population increasing and more usage expanding the road is top priority.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2013
I think i will understand more of this when i see it myself
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by deeptesting(m): 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
Burgeo:

Mr man ,it is because of the mentality of people like you that my their country is still in this shape after years of independence from our slave master. you know the truth but you will not say it, WHY !!! .Must they suffer other road users to serve their God? Because some God of men and their ministry are involved makes you not to see the evil in their act.
My fellow nigerians ,its high time we free ourselves from all these mental slavery we are still in . God is spirit, God is every wher,you must not occupy our roads to worship him!

My friend let me make it clear to you that i am neither a Christian nor a Muslim,i do not make comments attached to emotions or sentiment. If i am in position of authority my first question will be directed to the town planning authority and not the church...The worshipers dont observe their service or whatever they went their to do on the road and you will agree with me that they also go through immense pain trying to get to their camp as well due to the gridlock. Our government should wake up to their responsibility, carry out an environment assessment impact and proffer a solution which shall be conveyed to the Church to adhere to or face the revocation of their approval or certificate of Occupancy..Be rest assured that the Church will comply with whatever solution the government proffers.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by InvertedHammer: 7:41pm On Aug 13, 2013
/
JOE IGBOKWE is a see-no-evil, hear-no-evil kind of guy unless it affects him on a personal level.

Is this the first time he'd heard/seen the traffic imbroglio along Ibadan-Lagos Expressway?

Why did MASSOB let him get to Nnewi in the first place?

//
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 13, 2013
deeptesting:

The question is did they build the church on the road? Lagos-Ibadan road ought to be dualized to at lease accommodate 10 vehicles on each lane and ensure that all vehicles veering to these churches or whatever maintain a single lane...Where else should they locate this churches? I wish Joe Igbokwe proffered a solution in his write up. It's simply the failure of the government to live upto its responsibility and they should be held responsible for the sufferings and death of Nigerians on that road.
dont answer him jor He may be looking for popularity
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by cold(m): 7:51pm On Aug 13, 2013

Funny how you're exonerating the church and other religious bodies around that axis.True,the government has failed in its responsibilities to expand the road for better motoring but is that any reason for religious bodies to worsen the situation?is it fair that these organisations carry out their activities with no thought or consideration for other commuters who just want to get on their way?Is that the teachings from the churches?Shouldn't a widely respected church as RCCG set an example for others?A good example is the best sermon.What kind of message do you think they're passing across?Whatever happened to 'let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father which is in heaven'?Or you guys just pick and choose which instructions in the bible to follow?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 8:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
pappilo:

KICC attempted to set up shop in Dagenham, Essex just off the A13 on Thames Gateway land after they were sent packing from Stratford. Them pursue them quick. The local complained about effects on their lives and they were refused planning permission. Now they are based in the middle of nowhere in Chatham where they cant disrupt peoples lives.

In countries where things are done with sense, if your proposed business, new housing development, place of worship e.t.c is going to affect the lives of the local population, the developer is compelled to contribute a significant amount to the improvement of transport links, health centres e.t.c

For example, In Shepherds Bush, London, Westfield invested £200 million out of a total £1.7 billion project cost on transport improvements in the local area delivering a brand new Tube and Overground station.
But, we have to understand something here: religion is BIG in Nigeria and government/council officials are scared stiff.

In the same UK you mentioned, local authorities/police don't allow the following to happen for fear of traffic obstruction/gridlock:
Arsenal and Tottenham Hortspur are NOT allowed to have their home games same day/time.
Chelsea and Fulham are also not allowed.

West Ham record about 24,000 or thereabouts attendance per game, and the entire area is always chaotic every time they have a home game. I mean just 24,000 oo! This is despite the excellent transport facilities in London. In fact, West Ham charge fans heavily just to park their cars and this is done just to discourage them from coming to these games with vehicles.

By the way, you need to see what normally happens whenever Redeemed bring their Holy Ghost Night to Excel Centre in London. Absolute chaos. Traffic becomes overwhelmed despite London's excellent transport network. Guess what? They (Redeemed) get invoiced for this.

Now imagine a stretch of road where you have Redeemed, Deeper Life, MFM, Nasfat, and many smaller ones with their hundreds of thousands of worshipers. Absolute chaos, I tell you. What is happening on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway is horrendous, shameful and disgraceful. Some of them them even have their services at the same time/weekend. Why?!

No sane nation will allow it. Imagine the stress and depression these places of worship cause Nigerians every weekend.

Something needs to be done.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by debosky(m): 8:07pm On Aug 13, 2013
@vannity

You're only partly correct. If Rihanna's organisers don't meet the terms of TfL they won't hold their event, e.g. They won't hold such a concert at Wembley the same day Arsenal is playing at the Emirates to avoid congestion.

The churches are not doing enough to alleviate the issues. Simply embarking on expansion putting further pressure on stretched facilities is inconsiderate of other road users. Why dont they influence govt to fix the road? After all they influenced the govt to give them billions in import waivers to import material used to build these same structures.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by kcjazz(m): 8:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
I blame town planning officials. The only part church comes in is the fact that there is a need for property tax to be paid by non profits using places of importance cos it requires more police, road safety and lasma to control the traffic.

Someone mentioned Deeper life in Gbagada and that is so true, it shouldn't be there but where are the town planner people to enforce?

Meanwhile Awolowo road, Falomo Shopping Complex is been dismantled to make room for a mall shocked. The road is already busy as it is now adding a mall will be a huge traffic disaster, I hope town planning has a plan.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 8:16pm On Aug 13, 2013
A-ZeD:
I don't think the current structure at redemption camp is exactly what is was when they got planning/ building permission.
So those saying the town planning authorities are to blame should first find out the original plan submitted by the RCCG
You are right. They just keep expanding the place.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 13, 2013
I am not saying that the US is better than Nigeria per see but when you Guys preach to us to come home, this is what we have to come home to.

I have been stuck in this mess twice and it was not funny.

Can you just imagine the loss of productivity, time and money lost to his shenanegan?

Nigeria, which way forward?

Solution?:

Turn the road from Lagos to that location to at least a 5 lane highway and bill the chursh for the cost of providing as many police officers as necessary during this time to direct traffic and create orderliness.

It's simple really and I bet if the Governor or some Senator wanted to pass through that gridlock the traficc will clear like Moses and the Red Sea.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by NnamdiCheges(m): 8:26pm On Aug 13, 2013
It makes sense if the leaders of these religous centres take maesures to check this traffik breaches.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pappilo(m): 8:47pm On Aug 13, 2013

Please dont talk about what you dont know. Do you know how much was set aside by Arsenal for the improvement of Highbury & Islington station when they were building Emirates stadium? Do you know that the Emirates stadium capacity is set at just over 60,000 because thats the number Transport chiefs agreed. Arsenal have a 40,000 season ticket waiting list and would conveniently fill up an 80,000 seater stadium but planning regs prevented them from building a stadium as large as they would have loved. These miracle peddlers on the expressway just build as they wish.

Just use Google and you'll find that AEG owners of The O2 contributed to the improvements at North Greenwich station. The developers of the area around Battersea Power station (SP Setia and Sime Darby) and the proposed new US embassy will provide significant funding for the Northern line extension to Battersea if the development is given the go ahead. Harrods contributed to redevelopment of Knightsbridge station and other examples abound. What has redeemed ever contributed to help improve Lagos Ibadan expressway apart from some dirt tracks off the expressway leading to car parks in the bush?
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pappilo(m): 8:52pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ola one:

No sane nation will allow it. Imagine the stress and depression these places of worship cause Nigerians every weekend.

Something needs to be done.

My hatred for these miracle peddlers is borne out of a personal experience. At my wedding, there was no entertainment for half the event because the barstewards were having one of their fraudulent events and my musician got caught up in the traffic. Many guests also turned back and went home after sitting in traffic for hours.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2013

Any[size=16pt] time there is a football match, concert or whatever happening lets say for example at Wembley park or race or whatever they dream up, the TFL takes responsibility and ensure there are plans put in place.[/size]

They get charged. Chelsea, for example, pay heavily for policing. And, the government/police still complain that the money is not adequate.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by abu0710102013: 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
Actually as a muslim ( a fundamentalist) i support that worship centres should in no way be located on the road. In islam, prophet muhammad preached against praying on the road. The road must be given its due right. I was happy that NASFAT tendered a public apology we are still waiting for the pentacoastal churches to follow same suit
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2013
pappilo:

My hatred for these miracle peddlers is borne out of a personal experience. At my wedding, there was no entertainment for half the event because the barstewards were having one of their fraudulent events and my musician got caught up in the traffic. Many guests also turned back and went home after sitting in traffic for hours.

Blame your entertainer and not the church, cos he ought to ave known that there could be traffic and leave on time. . . "African time" syndrome is the issue with that.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 8:56pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Blame your entertainer and not the church, cos he ought to ave known that there could be traffic and leave on time. . . "African time" syndrome is the issue with that.
Are you kidding me?

1 Like

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by hakbab: 8:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
since religion is involve in this matter it might be difficult, even if govt increase the express lines will that take care of the traffic jam.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by cold(m): 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
Ola one:
Are you kidding me?
grin the mental gymnastics to justify what is glaringly wrong is so overwhelming it's not even funny
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 8:59pm On Aug 13, 2013
pappilo:

Please dont talk about what you dont know. Do you know how much was set aside by Arsenal for the improvement of Highbury & Islington station when they were building Emirates stadium? Do you know that the Emirates stadium capacity is set at just over 60,000 because thats the number Transport chiefs agreed. Arsenal have a 40,000 season ticket waiting list and would conveniently fill up an 80,000 seater stadium but planning regs prevented them from building a stadium as large as they would have loved. These miracle peddlers on the expressway just build as they wish.

Just use Google and you'll find that AEG owners of The O2 contributed to the improvements at North Greenwich station. The developers of the area around Battersea Power station (SP Setia and Sime Darby) and the proposed new US embassy will provide significant funding for the Northern line extension to Battersea if the development is given the go ahead. Harrods contributed to redevelopment of Knightsbridge station and other examples abound. What has redeemed ever contributed to help improve Lagos Ibadan expressway apart from some dirt tracks off the expressway leading to car parks in the bush?

I remember that it took a long time before Arsenal got planning permission to build the Emirates.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 9:02pm On Aug 13, 2013
So, long term and short term measures coming up. (I have a feeling that a solution would have been imposed on the churches if they were in Lagos, kind of like the noise pollution issue).
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Godson201333(m): 9:03pm On Aug 13, 2013
I am tired of discussing this issues over and over again..
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pappilo(m): 9:04pm On Aug 13, 2013
Somorin#1:
I am not saying that the US is better than Nigeria per see but when you Guys preach to us to come home, this is what we have to come home to.

I have been stuck in this mess twice and it was not funny.

Can you just imagine the loss of productivity, time and money lost to his shenanegan?

Nigeria, which way forward?

Solution?:

Turn the road from Lagos to that location to at least a 5 lane highway and bill the chursh for the cost of providing as many police officers as necessary during this time to direct traffic and create orderliness.

It's simple really and I bet if the Governor or some Senator wanted to pass through that gridlock the traficc will clear like Moses and the Red Sea.

I donk know what obtains in the US but here in the UK you will hardly find anything situated right on the motorway. Even if it is situated in close proximity to the motorway it will only back up onto the motorway and you will have to take a slip road and still travel many miles before getting to an entrance. On Lagos - Ibadan, the entrance to Redemption camp is right there on the expressway!
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 9:05pm On Aug 13, 2013
[size=14pt]New 160.7b Lagos-Ibadan Expressway to solve Redemption Camp traffic woes —Presidency[/size]

The Lagos-Ibadan Express to be rebuilt by construction giants Julius Berger and RCC will solve the perennial traffic difficulties experienced at the Redemption Camp portion of the road, the Presidency has assured.

Commuters often report having a harrowing experienced at that stretch of the road, especially during events organised by the owners of the Camp, the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG). RCCG events held at the Camp usually draw large crowds of both king and commoner, including President Goodluck Jonathan, who is seen in the accompanying photo kneeling for blessings from RCCG leader, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, when he visited the Camp prior to the 2011 Nigerian presidential ballot.

Speaking this afternoon in Abuja, the Nigerian capital, Dr. Doyin Okupe, Senior Special Assistant (Public Affairs) to President Jonathan, said the sad traffic tales at the Redemption camp would soon end.

His words: “The Lagos-Ibadan Expressway was awarded yesterday at a total cost of 160.7 billion naira. The multi-lane road project which will be handled by Julius Berger Construction Company and the RCC will consist of 3 lanes on either side up to Sagamu junction and 2 lanes up to Ibadan as well as a fly over and inter-change at the Redemption Camp to solve the perennial traffic grid lock on that portion of the road.”

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=106060
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by pappilo(m): 9:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
Fhemmmy:

I did. Infact I brushed the lead musician while cursing Pastor Oleboye and his cohorts.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 9:09pm On Aug 13, 2013
The Lagos Area Metropolitan Transport Authority (LAMATA) has proposed 7 rail lines. They are:

1) Blue line: Okokomaiko-Marina
2) Red Line: Agbado-MMIA-Marina
3) Green Line: Lekki Airport-Marina
4) Yellow Line: Otta-Iddo
5) Purple Line: Redeemed Camp-Ojo
6) Brown Line: Mile 12 - Marina
7) Orange Line: Redeemed Camp-Marina

LRT overall map

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Fhemmmy: 9:11pm On Aug 13, 2013
pappilo: I did. Infact I brushed the lead musician while cursing Pastor Oleboye and his cohorts.

Customer service of your entertainer is the issue, if he know the area, he could have come to town even a day ahead to make his client happy . . .Leave the pastor out of his inability to think well
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by nanizle(m): 9:13pm On Aug 13, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Indeed, it is not for nothing that KICC was similarly advised by to find a more suitable location when its officials sought planning permission for a building, back in 2008.

Read more

This is how things are done in saner climes.

The church would have been spread over two
levels and include an office complex, a crèche,
gymnasium, dance studio and a multi-storey car
park. cool
eGuerrilla:

Indeed, it is not for nothing that KICC was similarly advised by to find a more suitable location when its officials sought planning permission for a building, back in 2008.

Read more

This is how things are done in saner climes.

''The church would have been spread over two
levels and include an office complex, a crèche,
gymnasium, dance studio and a multi-storey car
park.'' DAMN.
Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by naptu2: 9:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
Interstate rail.

The Federal Government plans to build a high speed rail link between Lagos and Abuja. I think we also need at least two more high speed rail lines: Lagos-Onitsha and Lagos-Calabar.

Re: Lagos-Ibadan Expressway And The Churches - Joe Igbokwe by Olaone1: 9:28pm On Aug 13, 2013
The whole thing is disgusting, really.

In Nigeria, I always try my best to stay in areas where churches and mosques are not in the vicinity. And this sort of areas are usually exclusive which means you have to pay heavily or rely on some breadwinner to provide. It is really crazy. Churches have vigils on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays causing unimaginable discomfort to people. One wonders how their members muster enough energy/strength for their endless services.

Mosques, on their part, are in the habit of blasting AHUJA calling out their followers as if these followers live in some Middle-eastern desert/cave where watches with alarm or phones with alarm have not been invented. I mean it costs peanuts to obtain one of these phones why then do they have to disturb our eardrums every f**king day (early in the morning for that matter)?
Who, in this modern day, needs to be reminded it's 5AM for God's sake? And to think those being reminded of the time of their early prayer sessions are grown a*se adults who should ideally be in the know.

It is horrendous and it is also hard to discus this issue without dissing these religions, trust me.

There needs to be an end to this madness.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo-Youths Protest Against Oduah's Sack In Enugu / EFCC Raids Ambode’s Residence / Governor Matawalle Gives 24 Zamfara Lawmakers Official Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.