Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:33 AM

Old Testament And New Testament God. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Old Testament And New Testament God. (1744 Views)

The New Testament Prophets Defined. / Is The New Testament Rightly Labeled New Testament? / False Prophecies Of The New Testament (bible) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Old Testament And New Testament God. by Frosti(m): 12:09am On Aug 17, 2013
There are mysteries in the Heavens, on the Earth and under the Earth that the human mind cannot begin to fathom.
Re: Old Testament And New Testament God. by k2039: 10:18am On Aug 17, 2013
Mr Troll: Lol. See as all of una de struggle to make sense from nonsense.

Why not accept it for what it is... Your yahweh is a blood thirsty psychopath with mulltiple personality disorder.

Or better still, he doesn't exist. He only exists in the imaginations of ancient men who ascribed everything they did to their 'SPAGed' idea of what a god should like/approve.

Funny sheeple. Dohohohohohohoho cheesy
For your mind........
Re: Old Testament And New Testament God. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 17, 2013
@OP to understand this issue of OT and NT,you need to be conversant with the covenants God gave to the Israelite.It was Jesusislord85 that opened up my eyes to see that the traditional teaching of the church for centuries has been that Gentiles, who have no ties to Israel, have replaced God's chosen people(whether it be simply for a time, or permanently). In fact, the "Gentile" nature of the church has been cited as one of the reasons that the Law no longer applies to believers.Though i am still learning about the covenants concerning the nation of Israel because there is still so much to be learnt so as to grasp a perfect understanding on why the new covenant was a better covenant.

Just like someone reiterated earlier that God doesn't change,His attributes and laws are eternal(Malachi 3:6)God is not subject to any external influence,and there is no before or after in His being.His omniscience implies that He has no succession of thoughts and therefore He does not change His mind.His knowledge and decisions eternally exist in His mind and are not subject to alteration.Since He knows all,He does not gain knowledge and nothing surprises Him.Since He is eternally immutable and comprehensively perfect,He never becomes better or worse.

I need to define who God is because there is this erroneous misconception that God keeps shifting and changing his mind as regard the covenant.From sacred scriptures we know that God is forever faithful and cannot break His covenant with the sons of men. Anytime there is a breach of covenant between God and human,it is obvious that human beings are responsible for such.So in other words Covenant renewal presupposes failure in the part of man to keep to terms of covenant with God.

Moses epitomizes the Jewish experience of God.He was a type of messiah in the OT,hence the sinaitic covenant is by far the most important covenant of the OT.from Joshua through to Malachi we see that it was the covenant that established relationship between God and Israel.Israel eventually broke it thus the need for a new and better covenant which God himself promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34.

First, let's examine the Scriptures to see who God chose as His own special people:

EXODUS 19:3 And Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel: 4 'You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to Myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be a special treasure to Me above all people; for all the earth is Mine. 6 And you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.' These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel." (NKJV)

In this scripture you will notice a differentiation 1.House of Jacob 2.Children of Israel. These guys were to be a Kingdom of priests if they obey God and keep His covenant.The children of Israel later lost their identity during their captivity by the Assyrian army.It was due to the iniquity of King Ahab who prostituted the land by having Jezebel as his queen( a pagan sidonian princess who was a temple prostitute) .The Israelite violated the covenant so much by worshiping Baal during Jezebel era despite the prophets God sent to them that God has no choice but to divorce her.You can read up all the prophecies in the OT.Because to properly understand the Bible, one must base their understanding of the New Testament on the foundation of the Old Testament.

Little wonder you hear Jesus making this emphatic statements below.

MATTHEW 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: "Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. 6 Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. (NKJV)

MATTHEW 15:24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." (NKJV)

The shocking thing that people don't realize is that the Bible is only written TO and ABOUT Israel. Other nations are discussed only as they come into contact with or effect God's chosen people.It was shdemidemi that also opened my eyes to this reality when he was discussing the two gospel theory and the coming of Jesus to establish a kingdom for Israel.The statement made here is not to say that ONLY physical Israelites are being called by God into the "church." The scriptures shows clearly that Gentiles NOT of Israelite stock have been included in God's congregation (Exo. 12:38; Isa. 56:3-cool.

One of the pivotal prophecies of the Bible, the prophecy of the New Covenant, clearly shows that this understanding is correct. The original prophecy is given in the Old Testament book of Jeremiah:

JEREMIAH 31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the House of Israel and with the House of Judah — 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My Law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more." (NKJV)

This prophecy plainly states that God will make the New Covenant with two specific entities: (1) The House of Israel, and (2) the House of Judah. In his letter to the messianic Jews of the early church, the author of Hebrews cites this passage:

HEBREWS 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the House of Israel and with the House of Judah — 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more." (NKJV)

I believe so many Christians have been blinded by their identity that they are the lost sheep of the house of Israel. It takes an in depth study by the Help of the Holy Spirit to decode these things really.Shalom.
Re: Old Testament And New Testament God. by noblefada: 3:54pm On Aug 17, 2013
@OP nice for you to ask, interesting topic but I can see that you're attempting to use human wisdom to interpret God! no no its only take the Spirit of God to understand the things of God.
That being said I wish I could just answer ur question, but it will a lot of teaching over 10 series to understand what ur asking. But let me say this God has never change, he has always been the same with the same desire for man, but man's response to what God is what has changed. From the time God created man to fellowship by the Spirit, man decided to use the flesh, sense knowledge. In Moses time God wanted direct communication, but the people refused and asked Moses to represent them. So the image man had about God in the OT was not a perfect representation of God, but what they thought God to be. That's why Christ is explanation of all things! you want to know who God is look at Christ, He is the perfect representation of God. Let me give an example, throughout the OT you'll never see where they referred to God has Father, when Jesus came he reveal God to us has our Father.
Do you know that the law was not God's perfect will for man, that why at the mount Moses received the law from an Angel and not directly from God.
As for Job, thats very simple, in chapter one its clearly stated that satan and not God was responsible for Job's misfortune and Job called it upon himself as previously stated on this thread.
In conclusion, the NT is the OT explained. Want to know the OT, study the NT n understand who Christ is.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My 5-year-old's Hard Question / Is It A Sin To Drop Once Offering With The Left Hand?...lets Talk Bible, Pls. / Tithing Is For Your Own Good.are You Not Tired Of Problems......................

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.