Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,583 members, 7,958,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:30 AM

School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread (1934 Views)

Why You Prefer Foreign Music And Genre To 9ja Afro-pop... / Tell Us What Your Favorite Song, Band And Genre Are! / For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2013
Hello Music Peeps,
I will be taking some time in the coming weeks, to provide some education about rock music, to the house.
I'll try to differentiate between genres (Indie, Album Rock, Alternative, Death Metal, Classic, grunge), and also provide some details of interesting work done across these genres. YouTube videos, mostly.

Even though it's generally regarded as music for white people, you'd be surprised to learn about how rock has influenced virtually all aspects of modern music. From R&B to reggae, New Age to Pop.
Also, despite being identified with mostly by caucasians, you would be surprised to learn that two black musicians (Chuck Berry, Little Richard) are regarded as the founders of rock music.
So sit back and enjoy the delivery, and I will be back with the first contribution wink
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 16, 2013
AjanleKoko: Hello Music Peeps,
I will be taking some time in the coming weeks, to provide some education about rock music, to the house.
I'll try to differentiate between genres (Indie, Album Rock, Alternative, Death Metal, Classic, grunge), and also provide some details of interesting work done across these genres. YouTube videos, mostly.

Even though it's generally regarded as music for white people, you'd be surprised to learn about how rock has influenced virtually all aspects of modern music. From R&B to reggae, New Age to Pop.
Also, despite being identified with mostly by caucasians, you would be surprised to learn that two black musicians (Chuck Berry, Bill Haley) are regarded as the founders of rock music. Haley in fact released the very first official rock album, Rock Around The Clock, in 1955.

So sit back and enjoy the delivery, and I will be back with the first contribution wink

Don't forget numetal
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2013
Definition

There are different ways to define it, but I think the simple way to define rock music is to characterize as follows:

- Hard, often jagged, edge.
- regular percussion/drumbeat.
- electric/acoustic guitar and bass
- non-harmonic or 'atonal' vocals. Rock doesn't need Pavarottis, just a good screamer with soul grin Besides, the vocalist is usually on the lead guitar as well.

Later on I will talk about how Bob Marley took traditional Carribean folk music (ska'a), and infused it with electric guitar, bass, and a regular drumbeat, and called it 'reggae'. wink
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 2:28pm On Aug 16, 2013
Early Years

In order for us to have a sense of chronological order, a good starting point would be, not necessarily when the word 'rock' was used to define the music style, but when electrical instruments and acoustics became important to music.

In the 1930s and 40s in particular, popular styles were the blues and country genres. Both originating from the Southern United States, and heavy different in styles, sound, and following. The very early rockers came at it from either of both angles, and combined the melodies they were used to, with their own personal talents as entertainers. They also replaced the traditional, almost formal dance routines that were associated with either genre, and added some 'swagger' in there. Just think Elvis and the knee-shaking. wink

More to come: Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, and the first official rock album.
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 16, 2013
Oga mi, rock bawo? No be Satan music be that grin ? Nah! Babe will gladly pass grin
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 4:34pm On Aug 16, 2013
naijababe: Oga mi, rock bawo? No be Satan music be that grin ? Nah! Babe will gladly pass grin

LOL. You dey refer to death metal, Marilyn Manson, and all that, I'm sure.
Well . . . considering that the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West, Beyonce, and even D'Banj are considered as Satanists nowadays. I mean, you need to see that Li'l Wayne video where he was looking like a demon.

Anyway, death metal is just one genre of rock music. Even born-again christians have their own 'christian rock' wink
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Fourcade(m): 7:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ahh Ahh Ahh Ahh aoooo

I dey front sit jare cool
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Fourcade(m): 7:11pm On Aug 16, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Well . . . considering that the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West, Beyonce, and even D'Banj are considered as Satanists nowadays. I mean, you need to see that Li'l Wayne video where he was looking like a demon.

Anyway, death metal is just one genre of rock music. Even born-again christians have their own 'christian rock' wink

…meant for sundays grin grin grin

We get our own Marvin Sapp,Cece winans,don moen,kirk franklin and the likes cheesy
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 9:42pm On Aug 16, 2013
Slight correction.
In my original post, I erroneously substituted Bill Haley for Little Richard.
Since corrected. I will discuss all three men in my next post.
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by mbulela: 11:02am On Aug 17, 2013
AjanleKoko:

funny enough na Christian rock revitalize my love for rock music. Those Hillsong boys dey jam rock like no man business.

1 Like

Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by mbulela: 11:03am On Aug 17, 2013
looking forward to this discourse. my knowledge of this art form is very patchy at best.
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 11:18am On Aug 26, 2013
Okay, I am back wink

More on Origins - Etymology

According to Wikipedia:

'alliterative phrase rocking and rolling was originally used by mariners at least as early as the 17th century, to describe the combined rocking (fore and aft) and rolling (side to side) motion of a ship on the ocean.'.

There's also a subtextual meaning that implies sexual activity, apparently, according to the same article. Phrases like 'roll in the hay', 'roll her over', etc., are all supposedly part of the inspiration for the genre description. Well . . . when you think Elvis rolling his hips . . . just maybe it's not too far off, I guess grin

From same Wikipedia article:

However, the terms "rocking", and "rocking and rolling", were increasingly used through the 1920s and 1930s, especially but not exclusively by black secular musicians, to refer to either dancing or sex, or both.

[size=3pt]Black man and konji sha[/size] embarassed
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 28, 2013
rock music is the deepest kinda music ever, tried to start a rock show in abj but no sponsors, maybe ama try again

OP dont forget post grunge, eletronica, psychedelic rock (jimi hendrix)
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Wallie(m): 9:17pm On Oct 04, 2013
AjanleKoko: Hello Music Peeps,

Also, despite being identified with mostly by caucasians, you would be surprised to learn that two black musicians (Chuck Berry, Little Richard) are regarded as the founders of rock music. Haley in fact released the very first official rock album, Rock Around The Clock, in 1955.

Rock music ke? You skipped R&B, rap, jazz and landed on rock? Soft rock I hope! I guess it's like me and rap music. grin
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 10:16am On Oct 05, 2013
Wallie:

Rock music ke? You skipped R&B, rap, jazz and landed on rock? Soft rock I hope! I guess it's like me and rap music. grin

No disrespect to those genres, but i think rock is far more interesting to study, and has produced bigger global superstars, than rap, R&B, or Jazz. grin

Come to think, I've been rather lazy with this thread. I'll return very soon wink
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 2:53pm On Jun 03, 2016
Okay. So I'm back to NL (but to this topic only).

My writing ability has since diminished due to premature old age grin, and besides, you can find all the rock info you need online anyway.
So I'll just be posting a video timeline of rock greats from the very early days, with some particular preferences of songs I like.

Let's start with this timeless piece from Bill Haley and the Comets 'Rock Around The Clock' - 1955. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgdufzXvjqw
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 2:59pm On Jun 03, 2016
In my first post, I remarked that rock was actually created by Negroes.

Surprising huh? Well . . . here's my man Chuck Berry with 'Johnny Be Goode' - 1958. (Not to be confused with Jimi Hendrix's posthumous album of the same name, mind you). Guitar work is amazing wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo8-JqzSCM
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 3:02pm On Jun 03, 2016
Some more very old school - 'Tutti Frutti' by Little Richard - 1955

More Black Till You Can't Go Back wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F13JNjpNW6c
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 3:05pm On Jun 03, 2016
The Great Chubby Checker - 'The Twist'
Even my momma sabi this one wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im9XuJJXylw
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 3:17pm On Jun 03, 2016
Fats Domino - 'Blueberry Hill' - 1940.

This guy has an amazing discography, check it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQCPrwKzdo
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 3:56pm On Jun 03, 2016
Okay, that was some good shyte. Now for some Rockability contributions.

This is the white peoples' contribution to 1950s rock. Mostly formulated from some country music bullshit. Apologies, I hate country music angry

Here's the so-called King, Elvis, doing 'That's All Right' - 1954:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmopYuF4BzY
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 4:03pm On Jun 03, 2016
^^^

Awesome , right? undecided undecided undecided undecided

Now here's the REAL King, The Great Johnny Cash, doing 'I Walk The Line'. Y'all should see that movie. What a guy wink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xObSJWIWui0
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2016
A couple more classifications to round up the 50s, a great decade for rock n roll.

A mention for Doo Wop is in order. Not EasyMoBee or Lauryn Hill, but the real Doo Wop classics. Now Doo Wop isn't really rock n roll, it's mostly all about the barbershop-style chiming alto/soprano/falsetto tunes.

Here is one very great awesome Doo Wop Track, 'I Only Have Eyes For You' by the Flamingoes, performed at the Beech-Nut Show, July 11th, 1959.
You probably remember this song sampled as 'Zealots' by the Fugees in their 1996 monster hit 'The Score'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzusdilnKQ
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 4:18pm On Jun 03, 2016
A couple more classifications to round up the 50s, a great decade for rock n roll.

A mention for Doo Wop is in order. Not EasyMoBee or Lauryn Hill, but the real Doo Wop classics. Now Doo Wop isn't really rock n roll, it's mostly all about the barbershop-style chiming alto/soprano/falsetto tunes. Very chill if you ask me.

Here is one very great awesome Doo Wop Track, 'I Only Have Eyes For You' by the Flamingoes, performed at the Beech-Nut Show, July 11th, 1959.
You probably remember this song sampled as 'Zealots' by the Fugees in their 1996 monster hit 'The Score'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrzusdilnKQ

See below for the Fugees' version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_yTtlCltVg
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 4:40pm On Jun 03, 2016
A lot of 1950s rock n roll were cover versions of an earlier or even current hit. Mostly black RnB songs.

Like this one, 'Shake Rattle & Roll' from Bill Haley (1954):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOsIaYCCtMo

Was a cover version of this one, by Big Joe Turner (same year):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Feq_Nt3nM
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by freecocoa(f): 6:06pm On Jun 03, 2016
Let me register my presence

Will be back.
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Ferdyboss: 4:59pm On Jun 08, 2016
freecocoa:
Let me register my presence

Will be back.

Following too. Guess you are a rock fan too
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Mzdivacious(f): 8:31pm On Jun 08, 2016
op totally made this thread boring...rock is way more fun than u r making it out to be on here
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by KingTom(m): 8:47pm On Jun 08, 2016
Yep die hard rock fan heavy metal cool

NP: Bullet for my Valentine - Hand of blood
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by AjanleKoko: 11:34am On Jun 13, 2016
Mzdivacious:
op totally made this thread boring...rock is way more fun than u r making it out to be on here

Relax. The fun stuff starts shortly. This is a little bit of history that is essential.
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by Mzdivacious(f): 8:29pm On Jun 13, 2016
KingTom:
Yep die hard rock fan heavy metal cool
NP: Bullet for my Valentine - Hand of blood
just look at him grin btw I fucking hate that bandundecided
Re: School Of Rock - History And Genre Thread by darkhorizon: 11:26am On Jul 03, 2016
AjanleKoko:
In my first post, I remarked that rock was actually created by Negroes.

Surprising huh? Well . . . here's my man Chuck Berry with 'Johnny Be Goode' - 1958. (Not to be confused with Jimi Hendrix's posthumous album of the same name, mind you). Guitar work is amazing wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFo8-JqzSCM

Oga mi Ajanlekoko; happy 10 years on nairaland too...started from the bottom now you here...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Don Jazzy And Wande Coal Fight On Twitter / The Internet Makes Fun Out Of Nicki Minaj Pic / Talib Kweli's New Video Shot Entirely In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.