Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,526 members, 7,770,332 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 09:30 AM

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! (23356 Views)

Rock Music Is Satanic? / Future Of Rock Music In Nigeria / Any Fans Of Rock Music On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 6:18pm On Apr 16, 2010
I want to believe that there are rock fans here in nairaland, even though it's clearly dominated by the hiphop fans.

The music section is not for the hiphop fans alone. It's for us too. WE MAY BE SMALL IN NUMBERS, BUT WE ARE MIGHTY IN DEDICATION AS ROCK FANS. Let's make our voice heard.

Let's do every thing from discussing our favorite bands here, to forming our own bands.

I have a question though. Are there any rock bands here in nigeria worth mentioning, and do you guys honestly feel that rock concerts organised for the nigerian rock lovers would record considerable sales?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by TyGabriel(m): 7:49pm On Apr 16, 2010
yes rock band do exist in nigeria, have ever hear of 'thread stone.' me am nt a rock fan but a rock freak,
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 8:24pm On Apr 16, 2010
i'm a rocker and a hip hop head too. I havent heard of naija rock band. The only peeps that do somn close to rock in naija are djinee(sometimes), roof top mcs(i luv shock therapy), flo the rocker, niki laoye and some nu chic that did a song titled 'dreams'. Rock music havnt really been explored here and as for a rock concert, there'll be one in the summer and i beliv it will be a crowd puller. There are alot of rock fans in naija but we on the lay low cos its tryna grow.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 10:22pm On Apr 16, 2010
Ty Gabriel:

yes rock band do exist in nigeria, have ever hear of 'thread stone.' me am nt a rock fan but a rock freak,

really! I'm really glad to know there some of us rock addict out there.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 10:30pm On Apr 16, 2010
@sinistyle, please, i'll like your update on the rock concert thingy, Where, when?
I'll really love to be there.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 10:43pm On Apr 16, 2010
I've always had a thing for music from when i was little. Back in my teenage years, i used to have a thing for hiphop. I did lot's of raps, and i didn't have the patience for any other music genre.
Couple of years ago, i discovered rock, and there was no turning back!
The music makes me high, more than any drug could ever make me. I understand rock, and rock understands me.
Sometimes, i wonder what i'd do without rock music. I think it's my missing rib.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by gangstaboo(f): 11:55pm On Apr 16, 2010
i love rock

i love rap too

i don't think they are mutually exclusive tongue
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Tatase(f): 11:58pm On Apr 16, 2010
@topic,

There was a rock appreciation thread on NL that was active a while back. If you search it you'll probably see it to resuscitate it. Or, we can just continue here. I pretty much like most genres of music (everything except maybe trance), but rock is definitely in my top 2.

@TY Gabriel and sinistyle,

I checked out the bands you listed. I liked Rooftop MCs best (I really liked Shock Therapy too), they remind me of what was that Fred Durst's band, whatsit. . . Limp Bizkit and the Beastie Boys rap-rock style except of course with a good Christian message.

I checked out Threadstone, they're also trying. They sound like a church or uni fellowship worship rock band and it's different because I haven't heard a lot of that sound in Nigeria. So more power to them.

I didn't find the Djinee or Nikky Laoye rock songs, the things I found were nice, but pretty standard nigerian pop and r&b fare.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 6:05am On Apr 17, 2010
@ amya
details bout the rock concert arent really clear yet but what i kno is that it will be called 'Lagos International Rock Festival' and it'll be coming up in the summer, details will become clearer as time passes. As for the bands coming, i only know of 'Kings of Leon'. I heard it on a rock show on radio so i can its quite reliable.
What bands will you love to see?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 7:57am On Apr 17, 2010
gangstaboo:

i love rock

i love rap too

i don't think they are mutually exclusive tongue

not neccessarily, Most rock addicts see other genre of music as below par ,

I use to like rap, but when i switched to rock, rap stopped making sense.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 8:24am On Apr 17, 2010
Tatase:

@topic,

There was a rock appreciation thread on NL that was active a while back. If you search it you'll probably see it to resuscitate it. Or, we can just continue here. I pretty much like most genres of music (everything except maybe trance), but rock is definitely in my top 2.

yeah, i used to see one of such thread sometime ago. But the thing about resuciating such threads is that most active contributors then may not be so active now. The effort could be like striking a match to light ashes.

This is not just a rock appreciation thread. Bands or even solo artiste could post there rock songs here for our general reviews.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 8:41am On Apr 17, 2010
@sinistyle.
Thx for the info
I love kings of leon too,

I'll also like to see coldplay, hoobastanks, evanescence and greenday perform.

What about you, who would you like to see?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 1:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
I Looove coldplay, my no. 1 band. I would love to see linkin park, the fray, creed(they've broken up tho), 3 doors down, blink 182.
Kings of leon are okay. I've listened to a couple of their songs and its only 'use somebody' that i really like. Nickelback are too hard metal, Green day too but i like '21 guns' and 'wake me up when September ends'. I'm loving Owl City too. I dont really feel the ladies apart from Vanessa Carlton, Pink and Natasha Begginfield.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by webbjamie(m): 9:19pm On Apr 17, 2010
Rock rocks!! I just love me ma rock.simpleplan,Nightwish,system of a down,lynrd skynrd,of course linkin park and a host of others space will fail me to mention.but i ain't touchin 'twisted sister' though.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 9:53pm On Apr 17, 2010
@sinistyle, If linkin park were to grace the concert, it'll pull lotsa crowd you know? I so love cold play, nickel back, My two favorite female rock stars are avril lavaign and amy lee. In nigeria, i love the roof top mc's
Tatase:

@topic,

I checked out the bands you listed. I liked Rooftop MCs best (I really liked Shock Therapy too), they remind me of what was that Fred Durst's band, whatsit. . . Limp Bizkit and the Beastie Boys rap-rock style except of course with a good Christian message.

I checked out Threadstone, they're also trying. They sound like a church or uni fellowship worship rock band and it's different because I haven't heard a lot of that sound in Nigeria. So more power to them.

I didn't find the Djinee or Nikky Laoye rock songs, the things I found were nice, but pretty standard nigerian pop and r&b fare.

Tatase:

@topic,

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by gangstaboo(f): 4:56am On Apr 18, 2010
Oh that wasn't my case. I love rock and rap/hip hop equally. Both genres are on my ipod and I don't think one is superior or sub par to other one, it basically just depends on what mood I'm in at the moment lol. Sometimes I wanna jam out to a hard bass in rap or just listen to some heavy metal and grunge. Just depends on the time haha.

I do get annoyed when some people proclaim that rap is not real music or that rock is superior to rap. Music is expression and creativity!! No one is the same and everyone has different tastes in what speaks to them on a personal level. Just because something is different does not make it bad. Just my two cents wink
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by menipo(m): 10:22am On Apr 18, 2010
u knw i started off with raps like 2pac & snoop,then slow-jang,r&b.i later moved to rock which took my love for music to another level.Now i switch btw Country music & Rock.for me they have similarities.

1 Like

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 12:23pm On Apr 18, 2010
gangstaboo:

Oh that wasn't my case. I love rock and rap/hip hop equally. Both genres are on my ipod and I don't think one is superior or sub par to other one, it basically just depends on what mood I'm in at the moment lol. Sometimes I wanna jam out to a hard bass in rap or just listen to some heavy metal and grunge. Just depends on the time haha.

I do get annoyed when some people proclaim that rap is not real music or that rock is superior to rap. Music is expression and creativity!! No one is the same and everyone has different tastes in what speaks to them on a personal level. Just because something is different does not make it bad. Just my two cents wink

makes lot's of sense. wink
But seriously, if you were to pick to choose of the two, which would it be?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 12:36pm On Apr 18, 2010
menipo:

u knw i started off with raps like 2pac & snoop,then slow-jang,r&b.i later moved to rock which took my love for music to another level.Now i switch btw Country music & Rock.for me they have similarities.

i went through similar phases too. I know this is the last stop for me.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by menipo(m): 12:45pm On Apr 18, 2010
@amy i just checkd your blog now.well that's by-the-way,you know after i became a country fan,you can check my thread 'For Country Music Lovers'.i felt like becoming a Radio Presenter where i could really express myself to the fullest.Music just make me Happy.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 1:17pm On Apr 18, 2010
@ amya
it would be just great if Linkin Park could show up? They have a huge fan base, u kno. They appeal to not just rockers, hip hop heads too.
I think you can love rock and hip hop. Personally, I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music. I do perhaps every genre but hip hop and rock/alternative are my favourites. Even some of the rock bands do hip hop as well. Mike Shinonda(Linkin Park), Kid Rock, Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit), Kevin Rudolf, Travis Barker(Blink 182). I think they go together pretty well!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 3:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
menipo:

@amy i just checkd your blog now.well that's by-the-way,you know after i became a country fan,you can check my thread 'For Country Music Lovers'.i felt like becoming a Radio Presenter where i could really express myself to the fullest.Music just make me Happy.

follow your dreams dear. I understand how you feel about music, because i feel the same way too. I've checked out your country music thread, but i'm no much of a country music fan. I listen to them when i'm feeling really wierd.
And, about my blog, i've not updated it lately.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 4:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
sinistyle:

@ amya
it would be just great if Linkin Park could show up? They have a huge fan base, u kno. They appeal to not just rockers, hip hop heads too.
I think you can love rock and hip hop. Personally, I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to music. I do perhaps every genre but hip hop and rock/alternative are my favourites. Even some of the rock bands do hip hop as well. Mike Shinonda(Linkin Park), Kid Rock, Fred Durst (Limp Bizkit), Kevin Rudolf, Travis Barker(Blink 182). I think they go together pretty well!

yeah, i agree with you. Linkin park would make a great hit in nigeria, but they are not coming for the summer thing, are they?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by menipo(m): 7:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
@amya i just wonder y u'll listen t o country music when u r weird.s ounds funny & strange to me. w hich artist did you listen to that made you feel that way?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Amya(f): 8:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
menipo:

@amya i just wonder y u'll listen t o country music when u r weird.s ounds funny & strange to me. w hich artist did you listen to that made you feel that way?

some years back, i dated a guy who was so much into country music. He made me listen to loads after loads of them. Before you knew it, i could even sing some of them. After a while, we parted and not on mutual terms. Each time i hear country, i'm reminded of him and i feel wierd. Gerrit?
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by menipo(m): 10:35pm On Apr 18, 2010
@amya sorry i had to remind you of your painful past. i apologise for that.well like you rightfully said i got it now.Clear on that.well songs generally atimes reminds us of our past .it does happen to me.both sweet & bad memories.so we all have that SHOE of yours in our accessories as well.
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Mmmbop: 11:02pm On Apr 18, 2010
Fan over here smiley
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ruq: 3:35am On Apr 19, 2010
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE HAVE I BEEN YOU DON'T WANNA GET ME MENTIONIN WHAT I LISTEN TO

THOUGH I I LISTEN TO ROCK AND HIP HOP EQUALLY BUT AM A FREAK OF BOTH!

AND AM THINKIN' OF DOING IT! BUT I DON'T HAVE A BAND,DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY ANY INSTRUMENT YET BUT IT WON'T STOP ME BUT I NEED PEOPLE!
I LISTEN TO ALL KINDS OF ROCK ALTERN,HARD,SOFT,GRUNGE,NU METAL,ANY TYPE AND IF AM GONNA PERFORM I WILL BE DOING THOSE TYPES! THIS ARE SOME OF MY FAVE BANDZ

LINKIN PARK

PAPA ROACH

Guns N' Roses

Staind

Korn

Limp Bizkit

Dead By Sunrise

Nivarna
AND FOR SLOW ROCKS I GO FOR

COLDPLAY

3 DOORS DOWN

ONE REPUBLIC, AVRIL LAVIGNE AND SOOOOOOOON

GOD HELP ME!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by jessefly: 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2010
kings of leon is lik d effin best rock band listen to mcfearless totally cool

1 Like

Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by Ruq: 12:52pm On Apr 19, 2010
Try Greenday!

ALOT OF PEOPLE IN NIGERIA CAN'T CCOPE WITH GARD ROCK WHICH I CAN VERY WELL MOST PEOPLE LIKE SOFT ROCK LIKE

ECTETERA!! YOU GUYS GOTTA LOVE BOTH!
Re: For Lovers Of Rock Music Only! by sinistyle(m): 1:43pm On Apr 19, 2010
@ ruq
i had also thouht of forming a rock band but I'm just like you are. I cant play any instrument. I am okay rapper though. If you can sing, not just sing, i mean if you have that voice that will be good for rock, something like Chad Krogers voice or something close, then we're good to go. We'll just look for a guitarist and a drummer and we're a band!
Do you listen to these bands, Ashes divide, Angels and Airwaves, Kasabian. They're awesome!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

(Music) Sophyn – Bonny Boy / Reasons Why Some Upcoming Artiste Will Forever Remain Upcoming / Beyoncé 'The Lion King: The Gift' (Track List) Release Date July 19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.