Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. (1278 Views)

Apc's Reply To Prof Charles Soludo / Soludo Is Confused, Has Lost Touch With Reality- Fani Kayode / Boko Haram Beheads Pilot Of Shot-down Jet (see Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by jamesibor: 11:45pm On Aug 17, 2013
•  Aspirants Storm Abuja To Appeal ‘Verdict’ 

• Committee Illegal, Says Okwu

•   How Membership Card From Rival Chairman Disqualified Aspirants

•   Ukwa Denies Allegation

SIGNS that the protracted leadership crisis in the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) would negatively affect the forthcoming governorship election in Anambra State emerged after the party’s screening exercise in Abuja, where six aspirants, including former Central Bank Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, were disqualified.

Dissatisfied with the process, the affected aspirants, some of whom are already in Abuja, have vowed to appeal the “verdict” of the committee. 

Although the screening committee, headed by Alhaji Tayo Sowunmi, gave varied reasons ranging from pending investigations by anti-corruption agencies to the aspirants’ lack of capacity to prosecute their ambition, the disqualification of Dr. Chike Obidigbo, on grounds of filing a party membership card signed by the rival national chairman, Maxi Okwu, suggests that the so-called reconciliation between Governor Peter Obi and Victor Umeh was a façade.

There were allegations of underground plot by Umeh’s loyalists, who allegedly held a meeting to ensure that certain individuals, including the immediate past Secretary to the Anambra State Government (SSG), Oseloka Obaze, whose names were marked at the meeting, were not cleared to run the governorship election on the APGA platform.

A source within the National Headquarters of APGA told The Guardian that Umeh and his inner caucus members had sworn to deal with certain aspirants identified as core loyalists of Governor Obi. The source, who is conversant with the affairs of the party, stressed that the plot was to ensure that such people with known allegiance to the Governor neither fly the party’s flag nor succeed the incumbent governor.

“But, apart from (the issue of) loyalty to Obi, there were others like (Prof.) Soludo who ‘eternal influence from Legacy House’ do not want their names to appear on the APGA column of the ballot paper,” the source disclosed, adding that it was in a bid to execute that narrow mandate that the serious contenders from Anambra North Senatorial zone were disqualified.

But a member of the three-man screening panel, Ichie Onwuka Ukwa denied any mischievous plot, saying: 

“We did not screen out anybody. First of all, we followed the guidelines, did interviews and then those that passed, passed; those that did not qualify were, of course, disqualified. So those that met the conditions of the guidelines were cleared.

“Let me tell you this, approach whoever you want to approach among those candidates; the reasons for their disqualification were clearly stated in the certificate of clearance or disqualification. It is not a question of speculation. Political speculation has no space in something of this nature; it is a serious business. There is nothing and it has nothing to do with anything playing out, we have passed that stage in APGA. (The issue about) Maxi Okwu is not something one should start talking about; we have passed that stage.”

On what impact the contentious disqualification, especially that of Soludo, could cause the party in its efforts to win the governorship election, Ukwa said the party was marching forward, maintaining that “he (Soludo) is not the only one disqualified neither is he the first to be disqualified.

“Exercise of this nature has never been the end of any political party when an individual is disqualified. Besides, this is a democratic process; the opening for appeal exists. If anyone feels sufficiently aggrieved, he should take advantage of that opportunity for redress through the appeal process,” he declared, adding that, since the appeal panel has not even started work, it would amount to speculation to say that some names were marked for disqualification.

“Dr. Chike Obidigbo, one of the disqualified aspirants said he has been inundated with phone calls from many people making inquiries on why he was disqualified.

“In my instance, they said I filed a membership card endorsed by Maxi Okwu. But the truth of the matter is that at the pronouncement of the Court of Appeal Judgment recognising Victor Umeh as National Chairman, I obtained a fresh membership card endorsed by him and sent to the party with a request that the former card should be replaced with the recent one signed by Umeh.

“Whether they effected that replacement is what I don’t know; but, as we speak, I am on my way to Abuja to face the Appeal committee. A lot of confusion is in the air such that you don’t know whom to trust. I hope they will spare the party these further distractions.”

Francis Emeka Idigo, another disqualified aspirant, also hinted that he would appeal to the committee.  

“Being a law-abiding and loyal party man, I will go on Appeal and see to the logical conclusion of the whole thing. The reason they gave is laughable and not one of the conditions in the guidelines for the primaries. They said lack of capacity to conduct the election. I have been in an election before; this is not my first time. Financial statement was never asked for, even if they did, our Electoral Act stipulated the maximum a candidate can spend in the election, which is N200 million. And I don’t think there is anybody that started this race that does not have N200 million.”

Asked whether crisis of leadership led to the skewed screening, Idigbo, a lawyer, added: “I would not know; I have asked my supporters to remain calm as I fight it out. I know in the end justice will prevail. I will be back in the race and I will contest and win the primary.”

The governorship aspirant said the disqualification of Prof. Soludo erases the suspicion that the screening committee worked towards a predetermined outcome even as he said it was impossible that some people were working to soften the ground for an eventual governorship victory for Mr. Ifeanyi Ubah, who left APGA for the rival Labour Party. 

On how the screening affects the reconciliation and reunification of APGA factions, factional National Chairman, Maxi Okwu, said he would not say whether Obi was stabbed in the back or a victim of mischief, saying: “Peter Obi remains my leader and I will speak to him privately.”

However, Okwu insisted that there was no true reconciliation in the party. According to him, Umeh and Obi came to a truce for the purpose of the elections. “How that will play out is what we are still watching. But take it from me; it is a short-gun marriage.

“As I told you, we have filed our suit and it would be processed on Monday. Jega has refused to answer my questions because he cannot answer them. He has been playing hide and seek with us. I have dragged them to the Court of law; he must answer the questions. And that case is going to change the face of APGA forever.

“Finally that screening committee is illegal. Article 16 of the APGA Constitution, which is here before me states clearly- this section deals with duties and functions of committees; (A) Working Committee, (B) Finance, (C) Publicity, (D) Screening/selection committee. This is the constitution of APGA filed with INEC, (Independent National Electoral Commission) which must be obeyed; but Umeh is lawless.

“Forget that he has been throwing documents around quoting the law. Subsection (D) says, screening and selection committee shall be headed by the national chairman of the party and six members to be appointed by the NWC, (National Working Committee) but Umeh put up a three-man committee to do the screening.

It is an illegal committee and what they did is a farce! But that is their headache; we will meet in the court of law.”

Prof. Soludo could not be reached for comments at the time of filing this report but a former State Chairman of the defunct All People’s Party (APP) Mr. Bonaventure Maduafokwa, said if, indeed, the former CBN Governor was disqualified for not being in the party for a long time or due to a pending investigation, APGA was not being fair to its own image.

Maduafokwa recalled that, in 2011, the party fielded Mr. Chuma Nzeribe 24 hours to the primaries, basically because he had the capacity to run for the election, recalling that it was based on his (Nzeribe’s) popularity that he gave Dr. Andy Uba, a good fight for the Senatorial seat.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/national-news/130304-anambra-how-apga-crisis-shot-down-soludo-others
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by jamesibor: 12:14am On Aug 18, 2013
Victor Ume, your days are numbered.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by onomeasike: 3:30am On Aug 18, 2013
I saw this coming! Anything built on falsehood will not stand. Obi played a silly ethnic card to rubbish Ngige while he should actually be investing in his badly damaged relationship with umeh.umeh just gave him a serious upper cut.Ngige is light Obi and obi is darkness. Ngige should be thanking God that God vindicated him.Obi will be disgraced by God and man!

1 Like

Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by UyiIredia(m): 3:38am On Aug 18, 2013
Hmmn.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by chino24: 8:43am On Aug 18, 2013
[s]
onomeasike: I saw this coming! Anything built on falsehood will not stand. Obi played a silly ethnic card to rubbish Ngige while he should actually be investing in his badly damaged relationship with umeh.umeh just gave him a serious upper cut.Ngige is light Obi and obi is darkness. Ngige should be thanking God that God vindicated him.Obi will be disgraced by God and man!
[/s]

All these because you want your ofemmmmanu and boko party in Anambra? Hmmmmm

You guys are illusioned to the brink of destruction. Let me make it clear to you now, there will not be any APC in Anambra! Deal with it..

3 Likes

Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by Clerverly: 9:14am On Aug 18, 2013
chino24: [s][/s]

You guys are illusioned to the brink of destruction. Let me make it clear to you now, there will not be any APC in Anambra! Deal with it..

The same way you said of Soludo flying the APGA's Flag Wake up man, Ngige is the next Governor of Anambra State.

1 Like

Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by oshyno(m): 9:16am On Aug 18, 2013
This is very very annoying to say the least. Even animals close rank to achieve their goal first after which they can continue their wrangling. What makes Umeh think that whoever apga presents wins the governorship. Dumb people. Without Soludo u guyz dont stand a chance. The race is now btw Ifeanyi Uba n Ngige. andi Uba might stand a chance now. #spitsOnapga.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by phlamy(m): 9:38am On Aug 18, 2013
God abeg help this my people ooo. Just wished for once that this people will drop
personal ambitions and chase a collective. Ordinary 1 state APGA cannot manage.
Their house will soon be left to them desolate
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by Kingsley1000(m): 9:52am On Aug 18, 2013
james_ibor: Victor Ume, your days are numbered.
IF U GIVE ME A GUN,I WILL SHOOT HIM I SWEAR
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 18, 2013
chino24: [s][/s]

You can get angry as much as you like....but the earlier you start accepting the ultimate fate that Ngige is going to occupy the Awka Governors' office come later this year...the better for your health.

Election is not about what you want....winning is all about who can mobilize the electorates most....

APC will teach novice like you a political lesson come November ....
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by chino24: 3:31pm On Aug 18, 2013
I can only laugh at you guys..

Let me make it clear to you people now, it is easier for a party from Ghana or Cameroun to win an election in Anambra than an ofemmmmanu and boko to do so. Its a fact you guys do not know. You need to understand that an average Igbo, particularly an Anambran hates anything with yuruba signature to it.

Well November will soon be here and some of will take a hike because what will befall APC in Anambra will be unimaginable. We all love Ngige but he is using the wrong channels which is yuruba and aboki party.

Last time I personally supervised the stones that were rained at him in Awka.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by eye4eye: 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2013
chino24: I can only laugh at you guys..

Let me make it clear to you people now, it is easier for a party from Ghana or Cameroun to win an election in Anambra than an ofemmmmanu and boko to do so. Its a fact you guys do not know. You need to understand that an average Igbo, particularly an Anambran hates anything with yuruba signature to it.

Well November will soon be here and some of will take a hike because what will befall APC in Anambra will be unimaginable. We all love Ngige but he is using the wrong channels which is yuruba and aboki party.

You are not different from Boko Haramists after all. You both have something in common; which is violent and intimidation. You personnal supervised throwing stones at someone because you disagree with him politically. Stones can kill someone.

You are such a violent bas.tard of a person. I hope you and your children are paid back the same way by being hit in the head with stone. You will be sitting in prison today if you had written what you wrote in the US.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by chino24: 3:56pm On Aug 18, 2013
eye4eye: You are not different from Boko Haramists after all. You both have something in common; which is violent and intimidation. You personnal supervised throwing stones at someone because you disagree with him politically. Stones can kill someone.

You are such a violent bas.tard of a person. I hope you and your children are paid back the same way by being hit in the head with stone. You will be sitting in prison today if you had written what you wrote in the US.

Because we warned Ngige not to bring the curse of boko and ofemmmanu party on our soil. I personally saw Ngige scampering for safety.

The experience of that day will take a long time to forget. We are waiting for him at the poll.

And where will your APC be sitting after deporting innocent and helpless Nigerians? You guys are animals, its unfortunate that somebody like Ngige is now paying for the sins of aboki and ofemmmmanu party.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by phlamy(m): 9:46pm On Aug 18, 2013
chino24:

Because we warned Ngige not to bring the curse of boko and ofemmmanu party on our soil. I personally saw Ngige scampering for safety.

The experience of that day will take a long time to forget. We are waiting for him at the poll.

And where will your APC be sitting after deporting innocent and helpless Nigerians? You guys are animals, its unfortunate that somebody like Ngige is now paying for the sins of aboki and ofemmmmanu party.

At this your young age, you sound this frustrated about life, very bigoted.Mark my words, in the Nigeria of tomorrow, there wont be a place for you. Mark my words again and again.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by onomeasike: 12:46am On Aug 19, 2013
Obi and Ngige are both from anambra central yet when it came to election and obi's sustained ethnic propaganda against Ngige for being in ACN,yet the man won the election! There's something that makes the real voters in anambra to like the man.Apga is seriously damaged politically. Soludo will definitely fight back on this huge humiliation.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by onomeasike: 12:51am On Aug 19, 2013
Please ignore the small child spewing nonsense on this thread. He is seriously pained at how things turned around for Ngige. Imagine, if God had not intervened,they will be saying Ngige will lose because of the party not knowing that they are being used as pawns by obi.
Re: Anambra: How APGA Crisis Shot Down Soludo, Others. by AdmYamamoto: 12:58am On Aug 19, 2013
chino24: I can only laugh at you guys..

The ibos in Anambra will have to make their choice ultimately. If the ajokuta mamumi party APGA cannot organize themselves it is their cup of tea.

(1) (Reply)

Femi Fani Kayode And His Junk Research / Taraba Speaker Dead / Double Accident On Benin-Ore Road That Caused Standstill-photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.